• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
There is a HTC Vive developers meetup in Taiwan today and here are the photos. There's nothing interesting except this of a Vive tracker on a bow.

https://www.facebook.com/HTCVIVEASIA/posts/703372809841893

FDZJQMI.jpg

It works but I can't even get by the beginning in the office when you have to rotate the controller or something. No idea what to do or what the equivalent buttons of the Touch and VIVE is.

It's not complete yet. The dev (who is the ReVive guy) put it out there as an open source proof of concept and is hoping others help finish it.

Zalusithix

There is a HTC Vive developers meetup in Taiwan today and here are the photos. There's nothing interesting except this of a Vive tracker on a bow.

https://www.facebook.com/HTCVIVEASIA/posts/703372809841893

FDZJQMI.jpg

So stupid. They're not using the bow to provide resistance or anything, so those limbs serve as much purpose as they did on the old Nerf bow. It's like putting a plastic scope piece on a VR gun body. Waste of plastic.

Salamande

SoundStage is finally out of Early Access. There's been lots of great improvements over the past year, including MIDI support, virtual turntables, in-game video tutorials, and lots more.

This is basically a synthesizer/music generation sandbox, but even that feels like it's selling it short. Messing around with Soundstage is some of the most fun I've had in VR - highly recommended.

SoundStage is finally out of Early Access. There's been lots of great improvements over the past year, including MIDI support, virtual turntables, in-game video tutorials, and lots more.

This is basically a synthesizer/music generation sandbox, but even that feels like it's selling it short. Messing around with Soundstage is some of the most fun I've had in VR - highly recommended.

Yay! Time to buy it!

cakefoo

So stupid. They're not using the bow to provide resistance or anything, so those limbs serve as much purpose as they did on the old Nerf bow. It's like putting a plastic scope piece on a VR gun body. Waste of plastic.
Agreed. From a player perspective, a Vive tracker peripheral needs functionality or immersion. It's not clear if it has inputs, but if it doesn't, it would be useless in most games that require you to pickup and drop objects, locomote, etc. Peripherals limited to cosmetic effects are pointless when you're always just seeing a virtual representation in-game anyway.

I'll leave this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN2_FxFqwSk

cakefoo

And as neat as that is, it's already outdated - some stuff like the sequencer and splitter have been completely redesigned. Can't wait to see what crazy new setups people come up with.
Is that the 1.0 update from today? They also added video popup tutorials for all the components and added MIDI functionality. This is great.

Yep. Soundstage was a steal at $10 when it first released and it probably has triple the functionality of that now.

The swedisch mixed reality dude made a dreadhalls video (he was gone for 3 months so I guess a good reminder for people that like mixed reality videos that he is back, he seems to also be playing not so popular games so that can be interesting:
Dimension Hunter
Dark Legion
Really interested in Dark Legion. It has a lot of positive reviews. Only thing holding me back right now is that it's an early access single player campaign game. That and I'm hoping it gets trackpad support.

SomTervo

Is SuperHot Forever mode very hard to run for anyone else? Could be my cpu rearing its head for the first time.

Within a couple of minutes of play it stays slowing down hugely.

Due to sickness I tried to play some seated VR with gamepad (absolutely disgusting!!!).

Started House of the Dying Sun, graphical style reminicent of Homeworld a bit, specially the tactical UI outside the ship, pretty cool.

In the PS1 days I was a huge HUGE fan of Colony Wars, I didn't really play any other free flying space fighter game since then (except Shadows of the Empire, Rouge Squadron and the Halo Reach space fighter level).

I think the genre is now lost on me, it feels utterly basic to me to shoot at each other in space in an arcade fashion. Shooting at something, fine... getting shot at and trying to outmaneuver the enemy... kinda stupid, turning around in space, adjusting the speed, boost, glide in space... it should have been awesome but it just felt "Ok" to me. I guess there is a reason why I have never fired up Elite Dangerous but have bought it a long time ago.

-

On a sidenote, do you guys use "always on reprojection" from the advanced settings?

I never did before but now I have activated it to see if I can get rid of the small hick ups that sometimes occure, have to put some time into it before I can say anything about it though.

"I think the genre is now lost on me, it feels utterly basic to me to shoot at each other in space in an arcade fashion. Shooting at something, fine... getting shot at and trying to outmaneuver the enemy... kinda stupid, turning around in space, adjusting the speed, boost, glide in space... it should have been awesome but it just felt "Ok" to me. I guess there is a reason why I have never fired up Elite Dangerous but have bought it a long time ago."

This is less to do with the genre and more to do with House of the Dying Sun being pretty lackluster. Though Elite Dangerous is fairly lackluster as well, once you get over the scale of the game.

This is less to do with the genre and more to do with House of the Dying Sun being pretty lackluster. Though Elite Dangerous is fairly lackluster as well, once you get over the scale of the game.

Not sure on how it could be made more interesting to me though, maybe a mech transformation with strafe-thrusters would do the trick but this could drive away other fans of those games lol

ArtHands

There looks to be bunch of interesting-looking games in recent days

Overkill VR
Overload
IronWolf VR
The Ancient Remains
Super VR Trainer
War of Castle VR
VR Sports

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
You've probably figured something out by now but if not try opening steam as administrator. That's the only way SteamVR works for me.

By the way, as an update.

My Vive is fixed! I had my friend test my headset/breakout box with his set up. Everything worked fine. We confirmed it was my cable that was broken. I bought a new cable. It arrived the next morning. I got to try thumper in VR. Thanks for the help all who did.

cakefoo

Overkill VR looks like a graphically polished static wave shooter.
Overload looks like it should come with a barf bucket.
IronWolf VR looked good in vlog updates, but the original slow and methodical vibe that attracted me has seemingly taken a back seat to something more hectic.
The Ancient Remains is just a 5-minute tutorial ridiculously priced at $10. Don't loan dishonest developers money.
Super VR Trainer looks like a compilation of Early Access minigame copycats.
War of Castle VR looks like an interesting MOBA concept on the surface but the video looks terrible. The only review is written in Chinese and raises a red flag: they know all the ins and outs of gameplay after just .1 hour of play...
VR Sports... well, I totally didn't expect this to look like another generic sports minigame-fest.

I think bi-weekly recommendation posts would be more appropriate considering how much mediocrity releases every day.

Arulan

I tried Rick and Morty at PAX East. You can tell Owlchemy Labs developed it, in a good way. It wasn't very long. It's the garage area they've shown before. If Accounting demonstrated anything though, it's that strong voice-acting and humor can go a long way. I'm looking forward to it when it releases.

As a side-note, I got to try PSVR for the first time. It was a demo of DYING: Reborn VR. This only reinforced my belief that playing VR games (there are exceptions of course) without room-scale and individually-tracked controllers is a very compromised experience. Granted, I'm used to using the Vive, but I caught myself several times trying to turn my body only to have the camera lose tracking for a few seconds while I re-positioned myself. Likewise, for a game that heavily relies on picking up objects and using them on other objects, it felt very unnatural. I didn't pay as close attention to the display, but it seemed fine. It was comfortable too. It's the tracking that really differentiates it.

ArtHands

If those aint good, hopefully paranormal activity is. It just got released and has several hours of gameplay

Durante

By the way, as an update.

My Vive is fixed! I had my friend test my headset/breakout box with his set up. Everything worked fine. We confirmed it was my cable that was broken. I bought a new cable. It arrived the next morning. I got to try thumper in VR. Thanks for the help all who did.
Great! I was wondering what happened with your Vive.

SomTervo

Tried Dark Legion and Pavlov VR last night.

Dark Legion is bizarre in that "Far Eastern dev trying to ape western conventions" way, but is a pretty nice little shooter. Very crisp shooting (and mechanics in general, honestly). The VA and writing is pretty painful. Obligatory sexy woman strutting around and talking like a robot.

Pavlov VR is fantastic. It's the butter to Onward's more dry bread. The faster, more arcadey team shooter.

It's so well optimised, too, reloading and changing weapons is beautifully smooth and responsive. Nice mechanics for aiming and moving.

Plasma

Banned
Pavlov VR is fantastic. It's the butter to Onward's more dry bread. The faster, more arcadey team shooter.

It's so well optimised, too, reloading and changing weapons is beautifully smooth and responsive. Nice mechanics for aiming and moving.
I've been playing this a lot in the past couple of days and it's fantastic, all it needs now are some new maps.

Durante

Nvidia has an article on lens-matched shading in UE4.

It seems like you should be able to get something perceptively better than the default with less than 65% of the shaded pixels, and equivalent quality with less than 50% (!):
img5.png

Sadly, it seems like the integration is not trivial if you have any custom shaders. Still, I hope they get it to a state where it can be a fully integrated and supported UE4 feature.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Great! I was wondering what happened with your Vive.

I arrived at work at 9AM the next day, hopped on the computer, saw an email saying "Your package was delivered" with my cable, and very nearly "came down with a fever" and needed to stay home for the day... Visited parent's home this weekend and picked up my old tripods too so now I've got the full VR set up ready to go again!

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Nvidia has an article on lens-matched shading in UE4.

It seems like you should be able to get something perceptively better than the default with less than 65% of the shaded pixels, and equivalent quality with less than 50% (!):
https://developer.nvidia.com/sites/...rks/blog/Lens_Matched_Shading_Unreal/img5.png

Sadly, it seems like the integration is not trivial if you have any custom shaders. Still, I hope they get it to a state where it can be a fully integrated and supported UE4 feature.

Nice, that's a good explanation there. I hadn't quite gotten the concept from the original blog.

Sucks that they don't have it in the forward renderer yet. Vanilla UE4 it is.

kinggroin

Banned
Anyone making a thread for Paranormal Activity VR? It was a highly anticipated title, that has a (for VR) lengthy campaign and high production values.

It's also garnering positive user reviews.

ArtHands

Anyone making a thread for Paranormal Activity VR? It was a highly anticipated title, that has a (for VR) lengthy campaign and high production values.

It's also garnering positive user reviews.

Yah it definitely should

Many people are not happy with its movement system though, but the dev said they will be fixing that

I hadn't followed it really, but I was excited to hear about Paranormal Activity being up on Steam.

...Then I realized it's Early Access. VR has got to get out of this demo/"experience"/in-development hole.

ArtHands

Its just a couple of months in EA. The game itself is already more or less finished, according to those who are playing it. The only thing it need is some polishing and a fix to the locomotion mechanics.

There's a gameplay video and its definitely not some cheap promotional-tie in/cash-in VR title. It is a legit full length VR horror game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmWrv9SL23A

Zalusithix

Someone in the Vive subreddit made what's perhaps the most useful "review" of the GTX 1080ti for VR gamers:
https://np.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/5zizqd/benchmarking_the_1080ti_in_vr/

(It's basically "just" raw frametime data in a wide variety of demanding VR games, but that's exactly what I want to judge the performance of such a card)

More or less the expected results, but nice to have confirmation just the same. The 1080Ti certainly seems to be the first card to reliably run the more demanding games with SS without dipping into reprojection territory often. I have to say I got a chuckle out of this though:
Pavlov VR
  • Scenario: Offline Play until the thing crashes.

cakefoo

I recently bought Arizona Sunshine, Pavlov VR, Sairento, Diner Duo, and Knockout League.

Knockout League is really fun. It's mentally and physically challenging. Tip: Stretch before playing.

I was hoping to play AZ Sunshine with trackpad locomotion, but the inputs were acting strange. I found a mention of it on the Steam forums, so at least I know I'm not alone. But for now, I'm taking my $40 back.

I revisited Quell 4D to finally try their touchpad locomotion, and wow, night and day. Really good except for it sometimes not registering left and right. It seemed if I lowed my thumb onto a side direction, it wouldn't detect it, but if I put my thumb in the center and slid it out like an imaginary thumbstick, it was fine. Maybe it's a software bug, a hardware issue, or an intended behavior.

Either way, future Vive controllers could benefit from having light tactile markings in the center, or even analog sticks. I know there are games that kind of require touchpads by design, but that doesn't mean hardware redesigns can't happen.

Played the demo of Climbey (and other games that I initially thought wont work with Win7, seems like most if not all of them do)

I can see myself buying the full version later this year. The freedom locomotion system is also on Steam now and it has been updated with more features I believe.

Played a bit more Soundboxing next to Audioshield, Soundboxing can be way more exhausting as you have to move your body around more to hit all the marks (if the pattern was made that way), in Audioshield you don't have to do that, you can decide to dance around more and get to the same level but it's not neccessary to hit all the globes there.
One thing disqualifies Audioboxer for me though, the loading times are terrible. I don't kow if it's only my slow internet connection or the game but it takes way to long to load the songs and until you can finally start to move. Audioshield is superfast compared.

Also downloaded Hot Squat, which is free on steam and a good addition to Audioshield and Soundboxing. Super simple but it doesn't need to be more than what it is.

Also Cloudlands Minigolf Demo, while fun, I miss the weight of a real golfclub with this. It would add so much more to the game!

SomTervo

Yup, sunk more time into Pavlov VR. Absolutely bloody brilliant. It's pretty much legit VR Counter Strike right now. Absolutely insanely well done.

Bumping into an enemy, fudging your reload, fumbling for your pistol, just pulling it out and shoving it right into the guy's head before pulling the trigger... So good.

Also the times when the match is full on maps like Bridge are phenomenal. It's the closest we have to legit warfare in VR. Those moments when you're literally crouched behind cover, frantically reloading while bullets and grenades fly over head, pulling out your own grenade, unpinning it and throwing it, before blindfiring over the cover and standing to move. So incredible. (Also blindfire in VR is the tits. So good.)

It's great that there's no ammo limitation either. Just handling weapons is enough to deal with in VR, and no ammo also lets you go ham with them from time to time for fun.

I've been playing this a lot in the past couple of days and it's fantastic, all it needs now are some new maps.

And now it has them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom