• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

Ok, the Raw Data update is AMAZING.

As a Saija player, the improvements/replacements in the skills are fantastic.
  • Telekinesis feels better, and is much more usable.
  • Focal Strike is completely ridiculous. It feels badass and it is badass. Seriously fantastic.
  • Shadow Slash I didn't get to use much yet, but it also feels great.
  • I got very proficient at using the previous Katana throw, so I still have to get completely used to the new version, but I guess that will happen at some point. For now, I feel like I had more fine-grained control before.

Anyway, beyond those changes, the most important part is of course the new mission. And it's absolutely fantastic as well.
  • It starts off really strong presentation-wise, with an epic somewhat "Star Wars"-y feel due to the music and scale of things.
  • It's huge.
  • The gameplay, like most recent missions, has an interesting spin to it, and this one feels really well balanced and thought out already.
  • The variation and interplay between more traditional phases where you fight enemies, destroying the reactors, and progressing (with its obstacles) is great.

Also, this is very unlikely to be a good score overall -- first try and everything -- but we made it to #1 (of a small number I'd rather not say) on the leaderboards ;)
leaderm2ji8.jpg

Awesome! So glad you like it. I'll pass along your praise to the dev team.

Also that #1 is impressive, congrats!

Could you also tell them that while thankful for the Rift update, they seemed to ignore the people's main concern, which was the aiming for the guns. You still have to bend your wrist downward to shoot straight, unless I'm missing an option somewhere...

SimplexPL

This just in, and at the best possible price (free as in beer):
http://store.steampowered.com/app/608000/

Buzz Aldrin wants to be remembered for more than just "kicking up moon dust." He wants his legacy to include laying the groundwork for a permanent human settlement on Mars, and he has a plan. As NASA prepares to send the first humans to Mars, 8i and Time Inc's LIFE VR have collaborated with the celebrated astronaut and historical icon to create a one of a kind virtual reality experience.

He's in great shape both physically and mentally for a 87 year old.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Supposedly. It *was* Greenlit a while back, but who knows if they'll actually let it go through, given the uh, premise of the game.

You can buy the game straight from the company though.

They can get around by releasing the censored version, then put up an uncensored patch on their site

That's what many other devs do I believe

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Vertigo seems amazing, but the first boss on Hard is absolute unmitigated bullshit. After 3 solid hours with one 10 minute break to look up YouTube videos I have given up, something I have done a single digit number of times when confronted with a challenge I wanted to overcome in my gaming life. I am extremely frustrated and am not one to get at all frustrated by games, even incredibly difficult ones. I can only assume this has been talked to death so I apologize, but here's my rant.

The staging of the fight is actually very cool so I don't want to spoil anything at all, so the rest of this is in spoiler tags.

The end of the fight when there are 3 simultaneous tentacles is insane due to the need to hit each twice and all the other small factors adding up. Basically, my ability dramatically improved at first but then plateaued around 30-40 minutes in, and every attempt thereafter was just luck of the draw as far as how long I lasted before dying. I feel strongly that if I ever beat him it will just be a particularly lucky attempt. The amount of time you have to waste on repeat attempts is criminal, both the fight startup and the initial half which is no challenge at all. Damage indication that completely obscures (literally fully opaque red) the edges of your vision against a boss whose primary threat is on the edges of your view is absolutely miserable user experience. I saw in videos that on lower difficulties the tentacles only take one hit... what the fuck. I saw that in the demo, the player has a freaking gun during the fight... what the fuck again. There is one video of someone pulling it off on Hard on YouTube. 30 minutes long. On his winning attempt, which I watched hoping I was missing some critical strategy, hoping I was ignoring an entire mechanic, something, he's just waving the stick around exactly like I have been at the end and gets lucky.

Of course I can just switch to Normal, but I did legitimately want a challenge and have been craving some on the Vive. There was no ramp up to this, no challenge of any kind before this, and it ranks among the most frustrating bosses I've encountered in gaming. It can't be the toughest one, surely, but it's difficult to compare since this is also physically exhausting to continue, unlike anything I'd rank above it. I saw there was a Very Hard locked... that seems laughable now.

I suppose I would love some tips if anyone has any.

So episode 1 of the FOO Show is a bit of a bummer. The test episode with Firewatch had me excited to be inside game worlds and hear insightful discussion about their development. In this one, however, you get to see nothing but a couple tables with a few assets on them. Most of the world around you is just a black void. Add to that poor, choppy audio and weird random cuts in the middle of sentences.

Hopefully future episodes that aren't recorded in front of a live audience fare better.

Techies

http://lyravr.com/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/572630

Finally, it's releasing in early access 22 March tomorrow.

I've been waiting a really long time for this, played the prototype in the early days I still only had the leap, one could see the potential of VR back then.
I have the touch controllers now and I can finally check it out in all it's glory :)
It should be releasing tomorrow via early access.

What is the current state of the Early Access version?
“LyraVR is already a fully functional sequencer. You can place nodes and link them into sequences, or you can create loops and nodes by playing controller instruments like the DK9 drum kit and the KB88 keyboard. LyraVR lets you easily create chords, arpeggios and play preset musical phrases with the Autoplayer 3000 controller. You can import audio loops as well as record audio inside of LyraVR and re-import it as loops. You can edit multiple nodes at once - create a loop and easily duplicate it, or change the pitch on all nodes at once.”
”

Yeah no idea what the live audience should add to the experience.

It's like they were doing the XOXO presentation, and then figured they could turn it into an episode. It really should have just been supplementary content. Their "episode zero" proof of concept was more polished and worth watching.

Friends came over this past weekend and played quite a bit of VR. For spectating, I used my projector on the wall behind the person playing.

This worked much better than it should have, as you could see both the person playing and the world they were in.

http://lyravr.com/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/572630

Finally, it's releasing in early access 22 March tomorrow.

I've been waiting a really long time for this, played the prototype in the early days I still only had the leap, one could see the potential of VR back then.
I have the touch controllers now and I can finally check it out in all it's glory :)
It should be releasing tomorrow via early access.

Interesting, how does this compare to Soundstage?

It reads as if it was nearly the same thing but looks completely different of course?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Makes you think about the implications of AR in sports. Not so much in that it can trivialize some current sports (we're far away from being able to cheat without it being obvious), but ways you could use them to augment sports.

Having AR show a player where to be to receive a pass in football (without needing to look back) would certainly be a game changer. Same thing for making a catch in baseball. I could see it being useful as a training aid, even if they weren't allowed in games.

cakefoo

Having AR show a player where to be to receive a pass in football (without needing to look back) would certainly be a game changer. Same thing for making a catch in baseball. I could see it being useful as a training aid, even if they weren't allowed in games.
Or even for spectators to see stats, first down markers, puck tracking, foul ball warnings, ghost replays, etc.

Zalusithix

Yeah, it could certainly be used for training. It could also be used in sanctioned spins-offs of current sports. It'd effectively create extreme versions of the sports - still relying on human physical ability, but pushing the reaction times and coordination far beyond what's currently possible. Heck, it'd provide an avenue for AI to overlap with human intelligence/intuition.

Or even for spectators to see stats, first down markers, puck tracking, foul ball warnings, ghost replays, etc.

Basically bringing most of the benefits of TV sports broadcasts to the live viewing experience.

Techies

Interesting, how does this compare to Soundstage?

It reads as if it was nearly the same thing but looks completely different of course?

Haven't heard of soundstage nor tried it yet, but what made the idea of Lyra striking in the first place was turning music into something visual, giving the ability to see music.

I'm not musically talented in anyway. I actually cannot read music, but the idea of shapes and patterns and the ability to feel the notes, that makes sense to me.
You can even see the timing with the strings.

Techies

Btw anyone else feeling slightly overwhelmed by the amount of content out there?
It's like opening lucky packets everywhere, you never know what your going to get.

Then there's stuff that's just high quality and a blast to play like Robo Recall and Dead and buried.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Haven't heard of soundstage nor tried it yet, but what made the idea of Lyra striking in the first place was turning music into something visual, giving the ability to see music.

I'm not musically talented in anyway. I actually cannot read music, but the idea of shapes and patterns and the ability to feel the notes, that makes sense to me.
You can even see the timing with the strings.

I figured the bolded must be the main differentiator (to a ery limited degree you can do that in Soundstage too will athe blinking lights), I think I will give it a try at some point.

I stepped back from buying Fallout 4 when it was on sale because I wasn't sure VR would be a free update, seems like the right choice (if you don't really care about the base game)

derFeef

I stepped back from buying Fallout 4 when it was on sale because I wasn't sure VR would be a free update, seems like the right choice (if you don't really care about the base game)

I bought it because I thought it would be an update/DLC. Heh... well we will see.

Business

Makes you think about the implications of AR in sports. Not so much in that it can trivialize some current sports (we're far away from being able to cheat without it being obvious), but ways you could use them to augment sports.

Yeah I thought the same and in a future were theres AR cheating and tests the same way it happens today with drugs.

I bought it because I thought it would be an update/DLC. Heh... well we will see.

Honestly would make more sense I guess... it would be weird if they don't attache the VR version somehow to the non VR version abd make it 2 seperate installs, if that will be the case then there is always another sale ;)

Techies

I figured the bolded must be the main differentiator (to a ery limited degree you can do that in Soundstage too will athe blinking lights), I think I will give it a try at some point.

Just got released a few hours ago, bought it and I ain't disappointed. You can see a few years went into developing it and it costs way less than I imagined it would.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/572630/discussions/

Watched some of the tutorial videos before playing it, but it's pretty easy to learn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4mORW-ypXY
This gives a rather good idea of what to expect in general in terms of features.

One thing I love is the amount of space you get to play with. Teleported around a bit to see how big of a chain I can make, your not confined to a small area. A funny but brilliant feature is the ability to remove your headphones from your head and place it at any location. You literally pull it out of your head.

Also note that it works with the touch controllers, even though it says on the page that it hasn't been fully implemented yet, but they work quite decently.

I can see myself spending a lot time in this, it's quite surreal yet relaxing. This is also just the beginning, but the foundation so far seems rock solid. Would be interesting to see how people with a greater sense of musical talent does with these tools.
But to a novice like me, this is already awesome.

cakefoo

Obduction's Vive patch released today. Has anyone else tried it? I made a thread with my impressions and gifs, but it got buried XD

I'm not shameless enough to bump it, but if anyone any technical Q's or wants to add their impressions, here's a revive link.

Soi-Fong

I got an email from Amazon for a $100 off code off a purchase of a Vive. I already have a Vive though as well as PSVR and an Oculus so no need for it. Just give me a holler if anyone here wants it. Only valid till March 31st.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah I thought the same and in a future were theres AR cheating and tests the same way it happens today with drugs.

In the movie The 6th Day, it's a completely minor detail, but in the opening a football player is using a helmet with some AR displays built in. I can't remember exactly what it shows to him but I remember it deduces and warns him about an incoming blitz.

derFeef

Okay I feel reeeaally small (heigth) in Obduction. I checked another game (Serious Sam) Anow there I am having the same problem as well? Anything changed?
I tried rerunning the room setup etc. but it did not help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom