• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen most of Discovering Space 2 now. Really cool little experience with docu character. For that price a must have for Space freaks, the free flying mode feels also really great using the Vive controllers as flightsticks, works great.
Only negative, the narrator (female comutervoice) sounds really cheap, text 2 speach style.

I've seen most of Discovering Space 2 now. Really cool little experience with docu character. For that price a must have for Space freaks, the free flying mode feels also really great using the Vive controllers as flightsticks, works great.
Only negative, the narrator (female comutervoice) sounds really cheap, text 2 speach style.

I'm so buying this. How free to explore are you?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Another hour on this Vertigo boss. This is legit the most defeated I have ever felt in my gaming life.

edit: Got him. As I watched him fall I thought for a brief moment that an achievement might pop up, but in my heart of hearts I knew it wasn't so. goddamn.

I'm so buying this. How free to explore are you?

I think you are restricted to the planets of the solar system and max speed is C (1), you cant go faster than that so it can take a few minutes to get from one end to the other (have not tried it yet). You can also not enter every planets atmosphere, you will slow down at an invisible barrier (was the case with Jupiter... or Saturn, I forgot)

The exploration is not super complex and it doesn't take too long until you've seen the interesting stuff I assume, still worth it though!

Scapegoat

Source of this news? I've been keeping up with it and haven't seen them specify this anywhere.
Yeah, took me a while to find it, just a mention in an interview with Pete Hines:

https://uploadvr.com/bethesda-pete-hines-fallout-doom-vr-gaming/
UploadVR: And four years later, we’re playing a Fallout 4 VR demo for a full game coming next year…can you bring us up to speed on that?

Pete Hines: Yes, [VR is] something we’ve continued to work on and Fallout 4 is the first full game that we’ve announced for it. It’s for the HTC Vive, and it’s going to be a standalone VR version of Fallout 4.

I have a MSI GTX1080 but cannot seem to find this software on the disk or on the net.Am I looking in the wrong places?

I believe it's only being packaged with certain products at the moment because it says this -
"At present TriDef VR is exclusively available with new MSI gaming laptops, PCs, graphics cards and motherboards. The software will become more widely available in late-2017."

And the main page for the product https://www.tridef.com/products/vr says "Coming Soon" when you hover over the Buy or Download buttons.

I'm guessing they'll put out more info when they get closer to a full release since they don't even list what specific hardware is eligible.

Hotdogs, Horseshoes & Handgrenades is such an awesome system to handle guns in VR, tried it out myself for the first time now. I'm not the only one a bit tired of all the wave based shooters out there for VR but if they would be build around this system they would be instantly way more fun. The simple act of reloading in this game is more fun than entire other games that are sold as complete games with campaign an mp etc... this should be the template for all gun games in VR.
-
Also tried ShapeLab as I'm a hobby 3d moddeler and it doesn't cost money... thing doesn't even get out of the inital loading screen and simply returns to the Steam VR menu after a few seconds... I have no idea why, I hope this will be fixed because I'm very interested in these programs.
-
Then Titans of Space 2.0, you'd think there are enough space experiences on Steam VR but I think this one is a good addition as it is basically a VR version of these scale comparisons you can find in videoform on youtube. And it's really well done at that. There are still some features missing because early acces but what is there is enough to justify the price imo

cakefoo

Hotdogs, Horseshoes & Handgrenades is such an awesome system to handle guns in VR, tried it out myself for the first time now. I'm not the only one a bit tired of all the wave based shooters out there for VR but if they would be build around this system they would be instantly way more fun. The simple act of reloading in this game is more fun than entire other games that are sold as complete games with campaign an mp etc... this should be the template for all gun games in VR.
Where it gets messy for me is when trackpad locomotion is introduced in games like Pavlov. I can barely do intricate thumb movements while the same hand is steadying my rifle or performing a reload, and I can't imagine this being an accessible control scheme for the mass market.

The solution I propose is a modified version of Quell 4D's default carrot-on-a-stick mode (you hold the left trigger and extend your left arm north to move north, and so on).

Replace the controller with the HMD, and replace the trigger with a trackpad click, and now you're leaning to move and can still grab ammo off your belt without having to concentrate on where your thumb is positioned on the trackpad. Furthermore, a short press could toggle between roomscale and lean locomotion (so you don't have to think about your thumb at all), while a long press would activate roomscale as soon as you release the trackpad. An option menu item would allow you to to switch between automatic (reading your intent by how long you press), hold only, or toggle only.

I like the gunplay in Out of Ammo. It's more on the arcadey side with bullet tracers and no recoil, but for me it strikes a perfect balance of fun and challenge.

RgVynE.gif

ElVggk.gif

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Just played through Princess Kidnapper, Fated: The Silent Oath, King Kaiju and ROM: Extraction.

Its unfortunate King Kaiju wont be getting anymore content update, and it will take a long while for FATED: The Silent Oath as well as ROM: Extraction to get content expansion.

Sky Santuary doesnt run very well on my pc, I'll give it a try next time. Nighttime Terror run horribly so i have uninstalled it.

Where it gets messy for me is when trackpad locomotion is introduced in games like Pavlov. I can barely do intricate thumb movements while the same hand is steadying my rifle or performing a reload, and I can't imagine this being an accessible control scheme for the mass market.

The solution I propose is a modified version of Quell 4D's default carrot-on-a-stick mode (you hold the left trigger and extend your left arm north to move north, and so on).

Replace the controller with the HMD, and replace the trigger with a trackpad click, and now you're leaning to move and can still grab ammo off your belt without having to concentrate on where your thumb is positioned on the trackpad. Furthermore, a short press could toggle between roomscale and lean locomotion (so you don't have to think about your thumb at all), while a long press would activate roomscale as soon as you release the trackpad. An option menu item would allow you to to switch between automatic (reading your intent by how long you press), hold only, or toggle only.

I like the gunplay in Out of Ammo. It's more on the arcadey side with bullet tracers and no recoil, but for me it strikes a perfect balance of fun and challenge.

RgVynE.gif

ElVggk.gif

You're certainly right about what is acceptable for the mass market (I personally just don't care about that so I want it :)
In games like Bullet Sorrow where you constantly take cover I'd welcome this extra activity, be in cover, reload your weapons, continue shooting enemies... I'd very much prefer that to the open space point&shoot approach that has not much more to it than that. In a game like Sairento VR I can see it being problematic though as you are constantly moving around.
I'm having a hard time imagining a VR shooter with the same fluidity and mechanically as perfect as some non-VR shooters, without making half of players dizzy as hell. The other half might be ok but I doubt developers would view this as success... we'll see what they come up with in the future.

On a sidenote, there are some cool reloading tricks in H3VR, like in this skill video, insane!

E-flux

Oh wow, i did the whole revive thing and the quality of games on the oculus store blows steam early access shit of the water. Well most of the completed games seem to be wave shooters but at least they have their own style and are not just made by stitching together random assets and calling it a day.

Superhot VR is a lot of fun and so is Lucky's tale, i can't believe that it's a free game. I'm waiting on Edge of nowhere to go on a sale, i love lovecraft stories and i want to see how they have done the whole mountains of madness shtick

SimplexPL

"I'm waiting on Edge of nowhere to go on a sale," - I have a problem with Edge of Nowhere:
https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/issues/548

Chronos is now on sale on oculus store. https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/929508627125435/

Sweet!
I came here to ask if Robo Recall is still not playable through ReVive? Really interested in playing it, like Bullet Train.

It is still playable through Revive and has been almost from day one. The main problem is that it treats vive as two sensor setup so whenever you turn 180 degrees you get a warning message "face your cameras".

E-flux

"I'm waiting on Edge of nowhere to go on a sale," - I have a problem with Edge of Nowhere:

Chronos is now on sale on oculus store. https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/929508627125435/

Nice, i was looking at chronos before it went on sale thinking that it looked interesting but not worth the 40€ to try it out, i picked that, adventure time, and smashing the battle out of that sale.
Edit: Just played through the adventure time thing, it probably should have been free. It felt like a prototype of a game that had proper voice acting in it.

TheRed

It is still playable through Revive and has been almost from day one. The main problem is that it treats vive as two sensor setup so whenever you turn 180 degrees you get a warning message "face your cameras".

Oh ok thanks. Didn't know as I haven't been keeping up with roomscale VR games. Only been using my Vive for racing games and Elite as I didn't want to clear up my room.

ArtHands

Lots of oculus titles are on sales as they are having an anniversary celebration

I have the opportunity to preview the upcoming title "Downward Spiral: Prologue", which is an action adventure title that take place in an anti-gravity spacecraft. Its a very polished title, but it is unfortunately very short (it is part of an anthology). There's multiplayer too

Anyone tried MakeVR? How is it compared to Medium?

First time I've read about that... I will try it out (if Win7 64bit is supported? Does it cost money? How much?). There are already a few modeling/sculpting tools for Vive/VR available but I had not much luck getting them to work on my computer.

I have the opportunity to preview the upcoming title "Downward Spiral: Prologue", which is an action adventure title that take place in an anti-gravity spacecraft. Its a very polished title, but it is unfortunately very short (it is part of an anthology). There's multiplayer too

Saw a trailer for that one and thought it looked really cool though I'm not totally sure what all you in it. It seems to be more of a puzzle game with a little combat but it apparently has 8 player deathmatch as well.

Steam Page
10 minutes of gameplay

cakefoo

VR Pictionary is becoming a recurring part of the Tonight Show. It was cool to see this moment when Jimmy told Scarlett Johansson she could move around, and her childish 2D scribble became a solid 3D object.

Z492vR.gif

Video here. Next time my friends are over we're definitely doing this.

Anyone tried MakeVR? How is it compared to Medium?
In short, MakeVR was intended to allow industry-standard precision modeling.

This interview is an informative read. There's a pro version coming for $99.

TheRed

VR Pictionary is becoming a recurring part of the Tonight Show. It was cool to see this moment when Jimmy told Scarlett Johansson she could move around, and her childish 2D scribble became a solid 3D object.

Z492vR.gif

Damn that looks fun, I need more friends. Lol

ArtHands

Saw a trailer for that one and thought it looked really cool though I'm not totally sure what all you in it. It seems to be more of a puzzle game with a little combat but it apparently has 8 player deathmatch as well.

Steam Page
10 minutes of gameplay

Its mostly a title where you explore an spacecraft in zero gravity. There are some basic shooting and some other actions (flipping switches) , nothing much really. Perhaps online is where it shines

Business

Z492vR.gif

That's actually a great idea to play VR with a group of people, specially if non gamers (the ladies in my case) are around.

Thanks for the MakeVR link.

E-flux

Super hot VR is probably the most fun i have had with a stationary shooter up to this point with vive. "UI" room is kinda shit though.
giphy.gif

taoofjord

Hey all, I haven't used my Vive for about 4 months. I took a quick look on Steam and didn't see many new things in the highest rated section. Any recommendations on what to check out? The last thing I tried was Google Maps VR.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Hey all, I haven't used my Vive for about 4 months. I took a quick look on Steam and didn't see many new things in the highest rated section. Any recommendations on what to check out? The last thing I tried was Google Maps VR.

what have you already tried? my default response is always climbey and if your not looking to spend any money
compound and gorn are amazing
https://notdead.itch.io/compound
https://raithza.itch.io/gorn

Definitely picking up Serious Sam TSE day 1 when it comes out. I've been a huge fan of Croteam ever since I discovered the first game at a CompUSA. I still remember being blown away by everything about the game to the point of making sure to pick up every game they put out since then. It makes me so happy that they see the potential of VR and that they're willing to put in all the work required to get most if not all of their games playable in VR so I have no qualms at all about buying all their VR stuff on day 1 to show my support. I haven't even tried the multiplayer aspect of TFE yet but if you really can have 16 people playing at once we should try to get everyone here in the thread into a game sometime, I can only imagine how crazy it would be :D

This is the most ridiculous looking mixed reality video I've seen yet lol

Maybe in the future people can play a game and later cut it together like an action movie with their head on the torso of the player avatar.

Metal B

This is the most ridiculous looking mixed reality video I've seen yet lol

Maybe in the future people can play a game and later cut it together like an action movie with their head on the torso of the player avatar.
Since eye- and full-body-tracking is just​ around the corner, those mixed reality functions become a little useless. It would be much more practical to have good avatar creators, 3rd person cameras​ and face-tracking to read emotions.

cakefoo

611 pieces of software have released since Google Earth VR, roughly 150 with positive user ratings. So I would just recommend scanning all the releases chronologically, looking for thumbed-up games. This is the page Google Earth VR appears on.

It's more work, but I guarantee you'll discover more games that will resonate with you this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom