• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kinda stuck on the second stage of Bullet Sorrow, at the lowest difficulty.... I got to the 2 Ninja girls at the end but they eat so many bullets... they trashed me in the end.

Having always to go through the entire level from the start is not healthy for my motivation.

How's the exploration / story / 'walking simulator' scene for VR right now? Hear a lot about shooting galleries and arcadey experiences but I always thought the coolest stuff about VR would be more slow paced investigative stuff. Does anyone have any Vive recommendations on that front?

E-flux

How's the exploration / story / 'walking simulator' scene for VR right now? Hear a lot about shooting galleries and arcadey experiences but I always thought the coolest stuff about VR would be more slow paced investigative stuff. Does anyone have any Vive recommendations on that front?

Obduction just got Vive support and it's apparently pretty good, the game is around 12 hours in length. Haven't tried it yet, but it has been on my radar for some time.

The vanishing of ethan carter is also good, however that one can't be played in room scale or with the vive controllers, but the game is still good.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Picked up Chronos while it is on sale for $16. Seems pretty decent at that price and working fine in revive.

Before I cancelled my launch rift to buy a vive, chronos was one of the games I was excited to play.

Obduction just got Vive support and it's apparently pretty good, the game is around 12 hours in length. Haven't tried it yet, but it has been on my radar for some time.

The vanishing of ethan carter is also good, however that one can't be played in room scale or with the vive controllers, but the game is still good.

Thanks for the answer - so basically, there is one or two notable good ones and even they weren't actually designed for VR? That is disappointing. Guess I'll wait a while longer before getting into VR.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Thanks for the answer - so basically, there is one or two notable good ones and even they weren't actually designed for VR? That is disappointing. Guess I'll wait a while longer before getting into VR.

There's also Narcosis, Walking The Glares, The Assembly, Robinson The Journey, SteamHammer VR, Summertime After, Elena, Unearthed Inc, ARAYA, Paranormal Activity. But tbh I think you shouldn't get into VR at all.

E-flux

I haven't really been keeping tabs on them either, i couldn't play in vr for around 3~ months and steam is absolutely useless when trying to search for good vr games since it's so full of crap. Same with the /r/vive, those people praise absolutely everything that recommendations on that subreddit can't really be taken seriously.

There's also Narcosis, Walking The Glares, The Assembly, Robinson The Journey, SteamHammer VR, Summertime After, Elena, Unearthed Inc, ARAYA, Paranormal Activity. But tbh I think you shouldn't get into VR at all.

The Gallery: Call of the Starseed, Fated: The Silent Oath, and Here They Lie. There is a wealth of this kind of game on VR.

I'll check those out, thanks. Why do you think the bolded?

I haven't really been keeping tabs on them either, i couldn't play in vr for around 3~ months and steam is absolutely useless when trying to search for good vr games since it's so full of crap. Same with the /r/vive, those people praise absolutely everything that recommendations on that subreddit can't really be taken seriously.

Yeah, that was the difficulty I was having - it's hard to parse what's actually a good experience rather than something that's just on VR and not terrible.

The Gallery: Call of the Starseed, Fated: The Silent Oath, and Here They Lie. There is a wealth of this kind of game on VR.

Great! I'm glad that there is in fact a decent amount of those experiences on VR and I just hadn't been coming across them. I'm thinking of getting a Vive once the new controllers, revised lighthouses and wireless thing are out, which will be a few months away yet so by then hopefully there will be even more to check out.

Can wilson's heart be played without oculus touch? Or do I need to hack it to play on Vive?

It's compatible with ReVive, so you can use your Vive + Vive Controllers to play it.

Whether or not you consider an easy-to-install compatibility layer a "hack", I don't know.

The velcro that holds the face-foam has been coming loose for a long time, but is generally serviceable--I've always been able to kind of stick it back on. But I"m obviously nervous.

My warranty is going to run out in a couple of months. Do I contact HTC over this?

Super hot VR is probably the most fun i have had with a stationary shooter up to this point with vive. "UI" room is kinda shit though.
giphy.gif
Vive?

SimplexPL

It is, but I recommend using "hybrid grip" option in OpenVR Advanced Settings because otherwise your palms may cramp from squeezing on the grip buttons (they were never designed to be squeezed constantly, just to be clicked)

It is, but I recommend using "hybrid grip" option in OpenVR Advanced Settings because otherwise your palms may cramp from squeezing on the grip buttons (they were never designed to be squeezed constantly, just to be clicked)

I actually didn't have a problem with the grip at all; I thought it was going to be uncomfortable but you spend so much time juggling different items, I wouldn't want it any other way.

How is Obduction on the Vive? I'm hovering over the buy button on Gog.com.

Khoryos

My Vive has, unfortunately, caused me to develop VR Arachnophobia. Seems like every bastard throws giant spiders into their games and I just can't deal, it sucks. I've never had this problem before!

SimplexPL

I actually didn't have a problem with the grip at all; I thought it was going to be uncomfortable but you spend so much time juggling different items, I wouldn't want it any other way.

How is Obduction on the Vive? I'm hovering over the buy button on Gog.com.

Are you sure that GoG version is vive compatible?

Also, optimization/performance is horrible from what I heard.
https://uploadvr.com/obduction-vive-performance/

cakefoo

Not sure if this has been posted, but HTC is launching a content subscription service for Vive, for $7 you get 5 titles a month (at any given time, i dont think you keep the titles in aggregate)

https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/03/htc-launching-its-vr-app-subscription-service-at-7-per-month/
Free 1-month trial.

Yeah, it does sound like you get a 5-game queue, and if you want to get a 6th game in your second month, you have to remove one of your existing games. Still, $1.40 per game per month could be a great deal IF the selected games are actually good.

Vive will be $100 off Wednesday to celebrate its 1st birthday. Arcade Saga will also be free for Vive owners (inc. existing owners, I assume).

Free 1-month trial.

Yeah, it does sound like you get a 5-game queue, and if you want to get a 6th game in your second month, you have to remove one of your existing games. Still, $1.40 per game per month could be a great deal IF the selected games are actually good.

Vive will be $100 off Wednesday to celebrate its 1st birthday. Arcade Saga will also be free for Vive owners (inc. existing owners, I assume).

Arcade Saga?

This update looks great! The old demo is one of my favorite VR experiences in all its simplicity.

In other news, there's a new version of the Half-life 2 VR mod coming soon.

Will this have tracked controller support? The gravity gun in the clip looked kinda static and locked into one position/area? (maybe the player just didn't move the gun around as much, there is a floating hand on the gun so I guess it has tracked controller support)

I hope it doesn't!!!

Can't wait to visit Ravenholm and drive the buggy again. Also seeing roomscale sized Dog taking down Combine.

It should be an option. I cannot handle stick movement.

Maybe if it had some sort of tank controls? A big problem for me has been looking around while moving forward. I want to keep moving in the direction I started in, not where I am looking.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
I'll likely pick up a Vive 2 or whatever Vive is out at that point when it actually releases. Really dissapointed we've seen next to nothing still. It's a really important title for VR.

they are showing it at e3 i hope they do like they did with fallout shelter and be like aaaaand its out now

Business

Never understand this mentality what's wrong with adding in more movement options for people who get sick?

Well I guess any game's gameplay would have to be tailored to the choosen locomotion option. Not saying a game can't have various options and still be ok but it would be better if the devs choose one and build the game around it.

Having said that put me on the teleport camp, I can't handle stick movement either.

For HLVR2, I'd love to see the Art of Fight locomotion (though of course a more iterated version of it). Simply my favorite concept so far, even with the bit of jank that came with it, I loved it.

Maybe if it had some sort of tank controls? A big problem for me has been looking around while moving forward. I want to keep moving in the direction I started in, not where I am looking.

Most VR games nowadays that use stick movement allow for this. Very few force you to keep moving the same direction you're looking.

cakefoo

You can in games that use the controller angle as a secondary heading. You'll move in a straight line no matter where you look as long as you don't change where your wrist is pointed and your thumb is positioned on the trackpad. I wouldn't call it "tank controls" because that makes it sound like mobility limitations, when really it's more like Superman controls.

Problem with this method is it only works well if your left hand is fully dedicated to locomotion. It's unwieldy to interact with objects with your left hand while locomoting since your heading would change as your wrist orientation changes, and your thumb would need to be perfectly countering your wrist. When head orientation is used instead, I imagine it's not as confusing. Neither is the perfect solution, so VR needs an independent locomotion method that would keep your hands, head and leg inputs separate.

I was thinking that the HMD position could be an analog stick- you'd click and hold the trackpad and lean North to go North, etc. It would just have to listen for the position of the center of your head instead of the raw HMD position, as your head is the true center pivot point that doesn't move in space when your turn.

Ah. Actually I'm not sure if I tried any stick movement games other than the Deus Ex demo, and I didn't see any movement options in that

To be fair, most of the earlier VR games with artificial locomotion did use "face aim", but they've largely moved on from that. Now it only really shows up in games that have been in development for a few years and even then they tend to patch in or also include other options.

cakefoo

Never understand this mentality what's wrong with adding in more movement options for people who get sick?
When some people say they hope x game doesn't have teleport, they are simply being oblivious to the concept of options.

Options are great, however there are games where teleporting would be cheating, e.g. teleporting from one piece of cover to another would allow you to avoid taking as much damage compared to running normally.

I used to think teleporting was the way to go, but then I played a multiplayer shooter with it and it was lousy seeing everyone warping, stopping, shooting, warping. It's especially annoying in close quarters, where opponents were instantly disappearing from my FOV.

While I haven't put in the time to develop my VR legs over rapid short sessions, and therefore can't vouch that it works, I discovered that eating ginger candy provides instant VR legs for me.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I just got my Vive on Friday. The first two days were great, and then it's been bad since then. Launching Google Earth causes the whole system to get stuttery, and I haven't quite found a reliable way to get it all running smooth again, and then last night the screen in the headset went black and I haven't been able to get it to come back on. Really frustrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom