• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
I just got my Vive on Friday. The first two days were great, and then it's been bad since then. Launching Google Earth causes the whole system to get stuttery, and I haven't quite found a reliable way to get it all running smooth again, and then last night the screen in the headset went black and I haven't been able to get it to come back on. Really frustrated.

unplug the hdmi from the junction box and replug it back in try that

Plasma

Banned
Options are great, however there are games where teleporting would be cheating, e.g. teleporting from one piece of cover to another would allow you to avoid taking as much damage compared to running normally.

I used to think teleporting was the way to go, but then I played a multiplayer shooter with it and it was lousy seeing everyone warping, stopping, shooting, warping. It's especially annoying in close quarters, where opponents were instantly disappearing from my FOV.

While I haven't put in the time to develop my VR legs over rapid short sessions, and therefore can't vouch that it works, I discovered that eating ginger candy provides instant VR legs for me.

There are ways around that games like Pavlov have the out of body teleporting where you point where you want to go and your character will move naturally the same as somebody walking around but you'll only teleport into their viewpoint every half a second.

cakefoo

I want Paranormal Activity, but not at $40. It's only 2-3 hours isn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmWrv9SL23A#t=6m

There are ways around that games like Pavlov have the out of body teleporting where you point where you want to go and your character will move naturally the same as somebody walking around but you'll only teleport into their viewpoint every half a second.
I wouldn't mind if opponents played like that, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to move that way. I imagine they can't defend themselves when they're moving so it would put them at a big disadvantage (correct me if I'm wrong)

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

It's longer than that, but only because it is designed so poorly. Half of the "puzzles" in the game are walking through trigger volumes that magically unlock doors that were previously locked. Every time you do anything, you need to walk through the entire house and try opening every door to see if whatever you did happened to arbitrarily unlock a previously locked door.

Overall I have to say the game is pretty awful.

Plasma

Banned

I wouldn't mind if opponents played like that, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to move that way. I imagine they can't defend themselves when they're moving so it would put them at a big disadvantage (correct me if I'm wrong)
Yes you are at a bit of a disadvantage though I've been mainly playing againt bots on Pavlov so it isn't that much of a problem.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I looked up how to enable supersampling and the tutorial I read defaulted to 2.5x.

I originally thought it meant like, 2.5x as many pixels, not 2.5x on both width and height (as in instead of 2560x2160, 6400x5400). The first seemed potentially reasonable for less demanding games, but the latter is totally unsustainable in most games.

When Blarp was giving me stutters I figured maybe time to drop that supersampling scale. 1080ti is great but maybe not on THAT level.

cakefoo

Mindshow flew under my radar. It's a performance capture movie maker with some really decent results.

Kale vs Cake
Twinkie Tim has a Meltdown

I know a lot of local actors who would have a blast with this, and I'd have fun doing the camera angles.

I signed up, but I'm #1,442 in line. If someone signs up through my link it'll move me up some, but be sure to come back and post your link so the next person can help you.

https://maitreapp.co/l/1280-bce6b954 (click the "Get Early Access" button)

moniker

I looked up how to enable supersampling and the tutorial I read defaulted to 2.5x.

I originally thought it meant like, 2.5x as many pixels, not 2.5x on both width and height (as in instead of 2560x2160, 6400x5400). The first seemed potentially reasonable for less demanding games, but the latter is totally unsustainable in most games.

When Blarp was giving me stutters I figured maybe time to drop that supersampling scale. 1080ti is great but maybe not on THAT level.

If I'm not mistaken, at the default 1.0 renderTargetMultiplier the rendering resolution is 2x1512x1680. At 2.5 renderTargetMultiplier you're rendering 2x3780x4200 (which is crazy high and a total waste).

Didn't they change how supersampling works recently? Can anyone elaborate?

They did something with SS in the beta branch, but then they reverted it in the latest beta after complaints about bluriness.

Valve said:
Change handling of supersampled frames to match what is in the release version of SteamVR. A future update will offer more options to users for how supersampled images are filtered.

Scapegoat

Never understand this mentality what's wrong with adding in more movement options for people who get sick?
Yeah sorry, rereading what I wrote isn't what I meant to say. Obviously there should be a range of options for everyone.

What I really meant to say was something along the lines of "I don't! I can't wait to play with traditional movement iceskating everywhere and barfing as I go!"

Also for people who do get motion sickness (it generally isn't that bad for me, more can slowly creep up depending on the game): try crystallised ginger/ginger candy. I remember Oculus were known to offer ginger beer at there demos (yum!), but I've found popping a piece of ginger candy in my mouth to be far more effective at killing that odd feeling creeping in.

Soundboxing got a nice update. Sadly I can't play it as I have a broken rip, haha. Ow :(

I don't know if it was possible before this update but you can change the position of your gloves relative to your controllers on the fly now by pressing the grip buttons, which is really cool for orbs that are very close to each other. I sometimes bashed the controllers into each other because of that and now that can be adjusted so it wont happen as easily.

Soundboxing got a nice update. Sadly I can't play it as I have a broken rip, haha. Ow :(

Yeah, I played a bunch last night and it's great. That game has come a long way. So much easier to find music now. I'm surprised more VR games don't use voice to text for text fields.

Damn, Blasters of the Universe is in a really great place now as a package. Feels like a completed game.
Need to play the update. BotU was already one of my favorite VR games. Needs more recognition.

Bought Cloudlands Minigolf VR when it was on sale... I shouldn't complain because it is a competent effort and the price was ok. But I have to say for a VR minigolf game the courses are not exactly exploding with creativity. I've played real life minigolf that was more crazy and spectacular than Cloudlands (went to a bioshock style one once where you go through a submarine simulator first and then enter a hall that is designed to look like on the base of the ocean). I like the verticality and it does it's best to make the most of the theme (minigold on floating islands/ in the clouds) but it also feels very moderate and kinda simple.

What I want from a VR minigolf game is playing in crazy places and situations, let me play on the moon with reduced gravity, under the sea with sharks swimming around, on a volcano with dragons etc.

Bought Cloudlands Minigolf VR when it was on sale... I shouldn't complain because it is a competent effort and the price was ok. But I have to say for a VR minigolf game the courses are not exactly exploding with creativity. I've played real life minigolf that was more crazy and spectacular than Cloudlands (went to a bioshock style one once where you go through a submarine simulator first and then enter a hall that is designed to look like on the base of the ocean). I like the verticality and it does it's best to make the most of the theme (minigold on floating islands/ in the clouds) but it also feels very moderate and kinda simple.

What I want from a VR minigolf game is playing in crazy places and situations, let me play on the moon with reduced gravity, under the sea with sharks swimming around, on a volcano with dragons etc.

Yeah, I'm kind of surprised we haven't got that version of a VR minigolf game yet.

elyetis

We need something along the line of a Vr Planet Minigolf, I spent a huge amount of time playing that on ps3 and that's the kind of quality & content we should want from a VR game too.

kungfuian

If something seems to be missing from your Vive experience might I suggest it's a lack of Googly eyes!! I might be a bit late to the game but I recently came across people putting these on their Vives and I love it!

Screen-Shot-2017-04-04-at-1.32.41-PM.png

There should be an entire line of Vive faceplates allowing owners an opportunity to personalize their headsets. Just image taking your Vive experience to that next level with such amazing faceplates as 'cat', 'dog', and 'crazy robot'.

Can some Gaffer with some paper crafting skills please get on this ASAP!!! Also anyone have good examples to share?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I will like to buy Serious Sam VR games but I need to save up for other VR devices like Gear VR...

Zalusithix

Apparently HTC has been making minor adjustments to the construction of the Vive. The new units are 15% lighter than the launch units, and that's not counting the 3-in-1 cable change. Granted pure weight wasn't the biggest problem with the Vive, but every bit cut from the total while otherwise keeping functionality the same is a good thing.

Edit:
If something seems to be missing from your Vive experience might I suggest it's a lack of Googly eyes!! I might be a bit late to the game but I recently came across people putting these on their Vives and I love it!
People have been doing this with the VR headsets since launch. Technically before that even with devs doing it. =)

Mergesort

Apparently HTC has been making minor adjustments to the construction of the Vive. The new units are 15% lighter than the launch units, and that's not counting the 3-in-1 cable change. Granted pure weight wasn't the biggest problem with the Vive, but every bit cut from the total while otherwise keeping functionality the same is a good thing.

Edit:
People have been doing this with the VR headsets since launch. Technically before that even with devs doing it. =)

Any news on gen 2?

Haint

maybe in a few years the only thing you can look forward to in the near future is maybe wireless adapters and maybe a few bells and whistles

A few years, come'on. Very high chance a Vive and Rift 2 will fall somewhere around the year 2 anniversary (1H '18). At the small volume they're manufacturing these things at, they're quickly going to be paying more for the old components than they would newer stuff that's 2-3x higher spec. Remember LG and other manufacturers have headsets coming out later this year, there is no way HTC and Oculus can ride their Gen-1 HW for "years". I wouldn't even be shocked to see Holiday window launches this year.

Zalusithix

maybe in a few years the only thing you can look forward to in the near future is maybe wireless adapters and maybe a few bells and whistles

Few years? It's highly probable we'll see it next year, and all but guaranteed within two. A few (3+) would put us in a 4+ year refresh cycle which is too long for this early stage of VR.

kungfuian

Edit:

LOL, That's the power of delayed observation hard at wok. It's a gift. What can I say...

Personal failing aside; I do still think custom Vive faceplates would sell. I want a face crab one!!!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Damn, Raw Data is realllllly darn good

edit: Oh shit, it isn't mentioned on this page so far as I can tell- it's a free weekend for Raw Data. Go try it right now.

The Buzz Aldrin demo-showcase doesn't crash at the start any longer for me after the last few updates.
Nice little introduction to what he has in mind regarding Mars, super short though but also free.

SomTervo

Pavlov VR continues to be the best thing I'm playing right now.

Like, I'd rather play that than Zelda, Horizon, Wildlands, Snake Pass, etc... Just a monstrously good game even in Early Access.

I watched a couple of action movies the other day and all the gunfights were frustrating because I just wanted to pick up a gun and fight myself. So I boot up Pavlov VR right after and have a bunch of amazing gunfights, better than anything in the movies. Was so satisfying.

Legit living a fantasy, it's just insane.

deadfolk

Like, I'd rather play that than Zelda, Horizon, Wildlands, Snake Pass, etc... Just a monstrously good game even in Early Access.

I watched a couple of action movies the other day and all the gunfights were frustrating because I just wanted to pick up a gun and fight myself. So I boot up Pavlov VR right after and have a bunch of amazing gunfights, better than anything in the movies. Was so satisfying.

Does it have a demo? If you search in Steam, a demo comes up, but clicking it just takes you to the store page for the full game, and no demo button there.

Does it have any non-joystick based movement? Or comfort boxes?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
srsly though try raw data while it's free. I generally avoid the crap out of Early Access, but I am considering grabbing it while 20% off just cause it feels a lot more complete than I expected.

SomTervo

Does it have a demo? If you search in Steam, a demo comes up, but clicking it just takes you to the store page for the full game, and no demo button there.

Hmm, IIRC there's a page where you can download the 'demo'. It's not on Steam, it's on another site, like it's old itch.io or whatever.

However, if that works, it's probably just the offline 'Bot' mode, which is good, but what makes the game truly addictive is the social and competitive play, just like Counter Strike.

Edit: ah, no, sorry. The page I'm thinking of is here but it's the old alpha build which just tells you the game's out of Alpha and then quits for you.

Seriously though for £10 or w/e it's an absolute steal and is being updated week-by-week. Literally almost all my qualms about it 3 weeks ago have been addressed in intelligent patches since.

Does it have any non-joystick based movement? Or comfort boxes?

It's in Early Access, so they're balancing it around the track-pad/joystick movement. No, not yet, unfortunately.

If it did have teleportation it would have to be a whole separate mode and they probably don't want to divide their player base.

Re comfort boxes - nope, but I guess on Vive you can turn on the chaperone to full. The game is really well optimised so it hits 90FPS at least all the time for me and nausea is literally never an issue. Even if I put my hands behind my back and run forward, I never feel sick. One of those weird things.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
From the Pavlov page

OOB Locomotion
OOB stands for "out of body", a teleport variation without actually teleporting, your "avatar" moves into the target location while you snap every half a second to it. This works great for people who are prone to motion sickness without breaking the game for other people, this means you can play with regular players.

not sure how that translates into practice, personally. Sounds intereesting.

Tervo, how "early access" is it?

Hmm, IIRC there's a page where you can download the 'demo'. It's not on Steam, it's on another site, like it's old itch.io or whatever.

However, if that works, it's probably just the offline 'Bot' mode, which is good, but what makes the game truly addictive is the social and competitive play, just like Counter Strike.

Edit: ah, no, sorry. The page I'm thinking of is here but it's the old alpha build which just tells you the game's out of Alpha and then quits for you.

Seriously though for £10 or w/e it's an absolute steal and is being updated week-by-week. Literally almost all my qualms about it 3 weeks ago have been addressed in intelligent patches since.

It's in Early Access, so they're balancing it around the track-pad/joystick movement. No, not yet, unfortunately.

If it did have teleportation it would have to be a whole separate mode and they probably don't want to divide their player base.

Re comfort boxes - nope, but I guess on Vive you can turn on the chaperone to full. The game is really well optimised so it hits 90FPS at least all the time for me and nausea is literally never an issue. Even if I put my hands behind my back and run forward, I never feel sick. One of those weird things.

Well, I really enjoyed Art of Fight's locomotion, and would totally be up for an evolution of that. Or at least comfort pod.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
A few years, come'on. Very high chance a Vive and Rift 2 will fall somewhere around the year 2 anniversary (1H '18). At the small volume they're manufacturing these things at, they're quickly going to be paying more for the old components than they would newer stuff that's 2-3x higher spec. Remember LG and other manufacturers have headsets coming out later this year, there is no way HTC and Oculus can ride their Gen-1 HW for "years". I wouldn't even be shocked to see Holiday window launches this year.

I think its more likely you see a price cut or a minor update to the current Vive (a Vive S) next year.

Gen 2 will need major improvements, like maybe wireless or eye tracking, but none of it seems ready to be integrated into a headset yet.

The other manufacturers doesn't have motion confroller it seems, soi think its fine.

DKF590

Hey all, finally managed to order myself a vive. Just wondering what I should expect out revive and oculus content. Just curious if it works well enough that I'm fine with picking up some Oculus content right away (Superhot) or if I should maybe prioritize native Vive content for my purchases.

With the price of the headset and VR games I'll probably be a bit more careful with game purchases than usual.

From the Pavlov page

It's pretty early (1 real map and another white box one), but the actual mechanics are all pretty solid and polished. The comparisons to CS are pretty apt since I honesty don't have any problem playing the same map over and over lol.

SomTervo

Well, I really enjoyed Art of Fight's locomotion, and would totally be up for an evolution of that. Or at least comfort pod.

It's nothing like Art of Fights locomotion. It's basically just joypad locomotion at this point, like Onward. Throwing the chaperone up then standing near it might help.

(I really didn't like Art of Fight's locomotion and think Pavlov is way better :S)

From the Pavlov page

I think that's a "planned" feature. Don't think it's in the game yet. Will test this PM.

See below (@ Guitar Atomik) re the content. The mechanics are basically complete and are just getting minor tweaks/polishes.

- shooting is perfectly done (fire with one hand super inaccurate, grip with both hands for accuracy, reload manually, if you expend all bullets you need to cock the gun)
- you can buy weapons from a trackpad menu (press right) – on Search and Destroy each player starts with $900 and gets money for kills/round wins to buy more gear (just like Counter Strike)
- knife is one-hit-kill and you can throw it super far. Makes for amazing clutch close-quarter battles where you and the other person run out of ammo. Also you often see people using Big Boss's CQC stance - knife in one hand, pistol in the other.
- Search and Destroy feels like an evolution of Counter Strike's bomb defusal - not only do you have to reach and secure the bomb site, you also have to manually type a code into the bomb before planting it. The enemy team have to input a longer code before they can defuse.
- when you die in Search and Destroy you can spectate (which is teleportation locomotion). Spectating is awesome - you can teleport onto rooftops/the top of the map, so you can watch gunfights play out legit like Counter Strike in VR. Or you can fly right up close to someone and watch them frantically defusing a bomb from over their shoulder

Just last night we had a hilarious moment that had the whole lobby of 8 peope laughing. I was defending the Bridge, but the enemy managed to sneak to the middle and plant the bomb. Me and another guy were being suppressed away from the bomb by the last remaining enemy. Eventually we managed to cap the dude and we both went sprinting over to the bomb. My teammate started punching in the defusal code, both of us panicking, but it was clear the timer was up (super fast beeping).

We both started running in circles screaming/laughing and waving our hands in the air. When the bomb went off and we died we were suddenly connected with the voices of all the dead players in the room who were in hysterics at the sight.

That's why Pavlov VR is awesome. The mechanics are good and the levels are getting better and better - but the only thing that parallels it for 'social fun' is Rec Room. Talking to people in Pavlov and communicating with your team/reminiscing about stuff is absolutely brilliant.

It's pretty early (1 real map and another white box one), but the actual mechanics are all pretty solid and polished. The comparisons to CS are pretty apt since I honesty don't have any problem playing the same map over and over lol.

Yep, however you're wrong about the maps:
- 1 real, textured and complete map (medium size) - Datacentre
- 1 real, untextured and nearly complete map (large) - SNDmap (they's pushed like 4 updates to this one in the last month and it's becoming god-tier imo, like almost as good as de_dust)
- 1 unfinished, untextured and far from complete map (small) - Bridge

All three are bloody excellent, although Bridge only really works on Team Deathmatch (not Search and Destroy). Bridge on TDM feels like a Battlefield game in VR or something, it's so fun and explosive and shoot happy.

Yeah so two game modes, TDM and Search and Destroy (which is 1:1 with Counter Strike's Bomb Defusal mode).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom