• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burt

Welp. I was on Kili when Vive preorders went up so I had an ebay deal to forward a confirmed first wave shipment to me upon initial arrival...and the seller just cancelled the transaction, probably to make an extra $600 or so from it given how the market conditions have changed over the past few days.

That's...not very cool, haha.

What you should really be complaining about is the lack of mountain-based wifi.

It's 2016. Jesus Christ mountain, pick up your game.

this is a wild stab at what Kili means

cheezcake

Any impressions from the screen quality/ resolution?,

Is the resolution enough to be "future proof" for a few years or will we see higher Res VR displays in a year or so?

Do these specs feel sufficient enough for some time to come ?

Seems to be on par with Rift, that is it doesn't detract from the experience but it could be better. These gen 1 headsets will definitely be superseded within two years, and there's likely going to be a fairly big difference between gen 1 and gen 2.

Karak

Right on, that sounds like it would be a fun take on it.
It should be. I can't discuss some of the titles as its part of a pretty huge story about the top 10 VR games no one is talking about right now. Actually I think a couple no one but the devs even really know about and I just got lucky. But I think that aside from games, which there are a couple AAA styled ones currently in heavy development, we also have things like this that have been tried in the past with say Move or Kinect but here with all the parts working together including the headset...might be pretty astonishing.
I can say its personally raised my own thoughts on VR a good deal as they weren't particularly high last month compared to now.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
What you should really be complaining about is the lack of mountain-based wifi.

It's 2016. Jesus Christ mountain, pick up your game.

this is a wild stab at what Kili means

Over the course of the journey there are a few really big, specific boulders you can stand on and hold your phone over your head at a particular angle if the weather is clear enough to get 2G reception at about 0.1kbps. I wasn't standing on one of those rocks at the time the preorders hit, I'm pretty sure. ;b

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
It should be. I can't discuss some of the titles as its part of a pretty huge story about the top 10 VR games no one is talking about right now. Actually I think a couple no one but the devs even really know about and I just got lucky. But I think that aside from games, which there are a couple AAA styled ones currently in heavy development, we also have things like this that have been tried in the past with say Move or Kinect but here with all the parts working together including the headset...might be pretty astonishing.
I can say its personally raised my own thoughts on VR a good deal as they weren't particularly high last month compared to now.

Cool, I'll keep an eye out for the story.

Compsiox

Banned
Over the course of the journey there are a few really big, specific boulders you can stand on and hold your phone over your head at a particular angle if the weather is clear enough to get 2G reception at about 0.1kbps. I wasn't standing on one of those rocks at the time the preorders hit, I'm pretty sure. ;b

Should have gotten a Pre mang

Soi-Fong

Markup on Ebay is insane... Jesus... I might just sell my Rift, but I have a hard time justifying selling the Vive.

So far, my most played game is Audioshield. Can't stop playing it at all. Just going through the music in my computer! God, I can't wait for my actual consumer version!!!

Welp. I was on Kili when Vive preorders went up so I had an ebay deal to forward a confirmed first wave shipment to me upon initial arrival...and the seller just cancelled the transaction, probably to make an extra $600 or so from it given how the market conditions have changed over the past few days.

That's...not very cool, haha.

Kili?

Sky Chief

Is the resolution enough to be "future proof" for a few years or will we see higher Res VR displays in a year or so?

The resolution is much better than a DK2 and pretty fantastic looking much of the time but there is huge room for improvement. I'm sure we will see higher res displays within 18 - 24 months. There is a long way they can go before the improvements won't be obvious. Maybe 4K x 4K per eye?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Finally HTC responded to my email. It only took like four days.

I took a look at your order and confirmed that you are among the customers who will receive the VIVE with the shipment that will go out on April. Unfortunately at this moment we do not have the exact date of when it will ship out, but no worries! You will receive a notification to your email address once the package ships out to your location.

Sky Chief

Before

HSU9YnO3d1t_ph16Wkmnk2Gz2gNpyENMjLc3IwdhjymBnA0D9iJxSces_E9p4gxbhBFO8rK0ZpKPt4xDZkSWdlgoWY_oHZ_SU5XWRgWzkv5-ZPWWuv0Wzz_gGcHis5gPMuADpuwtnaw7RVF4vSSKgdFfL7YQ1r-GK8YIwxJ6CUnV0iNzxMRM_46CvWNqUMoUe0vleYiEmRMirmNJmmJSexobTT68GV5RSQJpq_CkydRHHzr-ekIbw_rq9RzqQvURUdfDESogHterQ8I7nrfebiKmMC28C1wmYK-7OM0tNx2w_ynBZDQYwBhnLEbci7JZt_fO1peGshz1XrMY0coJ7Ksl9jOhCT-KMiZIt_JKASrgSOBTIPgnZ1T8drdEyFd08Lmm1Tf7TscakfVbdGQQroqtn8Xq7Td4VUGko-YEBRXXIYXxdW_XvX08EUnfvQ73hkZFsTYnA7Z_l9AqIdEj-Pmf4qQll1HX1eFwHrHIebGrvi-zOJd7JP5dCQzHFu5sAvzX1soTLgD8ZVIJbJGZVoof_GPFVrJGAliv44xlsxxIFfBVTQaw5HprntNKo8OY_79_SA=w1738-h1303-no

wJ4bM7I7x7fPl1nKIN4ZErZpIzhuVrCO5K2zPqKmqIGIInRvu9MPfKddlj_K_61VaJefQYuN0xGFkR1EiiAWYaDt5RNRAIeGEyks4frhfS0vN_MPP2cpFWWdB-QL7AMmjX9pOYYDVC--GNsV4LUZqoqRlsv89K6LS4ftruWpWRF6LvqCRHEmnvSsXg3AFN6r5rdRRO_RKDJLVkssd60nL6wte8phTFPozyTk05ALZgINCjJGAaQ4_Nen_BN8D45FnHl7lcxA5ZQYaQeG9UVDyuE4LJunw47fwl9fu1vFvpsy3pgW693pw9-DSMmfJoC4QjPDoh_CEGa-a8gyn1vVtCdl2BBH5cjbL0gd-2wfnqyyJZjpWnOexQD1v9x_S_c2y3u22_GcQaKAEv3cNhPr5l0PxnGNUquhZArG-oVpDf4VPMbcIcxgD2rqhZ_kqIHF6m0U6_VqSutR7whij5EkxVW6RMay8inqGgXxt6IiI3f1hhcUy7-BBrptM2QSLSN_EsmqjBdS3Jh4lyHpBZhb9z57Aiu-UGkl_Tbci8emeqJs1J0mG68MZXtgEZ5kPjp-5_FBMw=w1738-h1303-no

After

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Even though my Vive is arriving soon, I am stuck waiting for Pascal. Ugh. It's literally going to sit in a box unopened because of Nvidia.

Evo X

Even though my Vive is arriving soon, I am stuck waiting for Pascal. Ugh. It's literally going to sit in a box unopened because of Nvidia.

It's going to be sitting in a box for a while then. There are no plans for Pascal to release in the near future or they would have announced it at GTC yesterday.

Burt

esxhehgavxmduv3k5lcr.gif

Pictured: Line to the 2G boulder

Bboy AJ

It's going to be sitting in a box for a while then. There are no plans for Pascal to release in the near future or they would have announced it at GTC yesterday.
End of May, June. Whatever. Let it sit in a box.

Bboy AJ

Flip it on ebay - "free" GPU upgrade!
I might do this although I'm not a fan of this practice. I'm not in high school anymore and I don't really need the money. I legitimately bought it for me and I'm super annoyed with Nvidia. I don't want to ruin my first VR experience but I've also been waiting forever for this.

Ughhhh what to do

Welp I see he did it like a pansy instead of like a boss.
:p

Wim Hof succeeded to reach peak of Kilimanjaro with a group in record time

A new world record, the fastest group ascending world's highest volcano without acclimatization

‘Iceman’ Wim Hof started his climb to summit (5895 meters) of Kilimanjaro on the 14th of January 2015 with a group of 18 trained people, without any actual climbing experience. He reached the summit, Gilmans point, on the highest mountain in Africa, within 31 hours and 25 minutes. The group walked up to Kibo hut in just shorts and bare torso. The weather had changed at Kibo hut; therefore the group decided to continue with clothing on to reduce the possibility of risk. Doctors think it is impossible, but Wim Hof has proven that altitude sickness can be suppressed in a safe way with the ‘Wim Hof Method’.

It is not the first time that Hof has reached summit of Kilimanjaro. He reached Uhuru Peak in 48 hours on 24-01-2014 with a group of 26 participants.

Wim Hof Method

When the human body exceeds a height of 3000 meters, the risk of altitude sickness will dramatically increase. However, the Wim Hof Method allows the contestant to control altitude sickness. One of the guides did not practice the method and even with being fully acclimatized, he got altitude sickness and had to turn back. The method is characterized by the combination of three components: focus/commitment, breathing, and gradual cold exposure. “More energy, more focus, and general well-being of these are a result of a correct application of the method”, says Hof.

20131127125042-conqueryourchallenges-kilimanjaro.png

Actually after reading how his trip went I think the WHM could have benefited him greatly. I can personally attest to it pretty much saving my life (I was an invalid due to a car accident and a bad back injury) and I have actually become a local celebrity for going all throughout winter in nothing but my shorts while I shovel snow, polar bear swim or any outdoor activity in WELL below zero weather. I went viral once and I've been featured in the front page of our paper. I now help others do the method but man would I love to travel to Europe and climb a mountain with Hof.

Anyway, something to consider Evilore!

I might do this although I'm not a fan of this practice. I'm not in high school anymore and I don't really need the money. I legitimately bought it for me and I'm super annoyed with Nvidia. I don't want to ruin my first VR experience but I've also been waiting forever for this.

Ughhhh what to do

Sell it at cost to EviLore and roll the dice on may shipments.

Exuro

Ughhhh what to do
Going off your post you have a 770. Not every game requires a 970 and up. The pack in games should work well for example. I'm also in your situation though, and the only option for upgrading it seems is to get a good deal on a 970 since pascal looks like its not going to be here for a while.

x3sphere

I find the resolution is good enough, in the sense that it doesn't take away from the experience in any significant way. Mostly it's only when looking at things far out in the distance that the lower res becomes apparent. Anything reasonably close looks very sharp and detailed to my eyes.

Another res bump will definitely be welcomed though and I'm sure we'll get that in the second gen headsets. I think if these headsets today shipped with 4K displays we wouldn't be able to sufficiently drive them with current GPUs anyway. That should change in ~2 years or so.

Evo X

Ughhhh what to do

Yep. This is what I would do in your situation AJ. If you don't need the money by flipping, help a gaffer out who is eager for VR and currently has a capable PC. If you order again now, I am confident you would get another one before Pascal drops.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member

Ughhhh what to do
My heart goes out to you. Seriously. I decided to wait until the fall and it's killing me but fuck if I was trying jump on now I'd be lost. There's literally no good option right now.

Bboy AJ

Going off your post you have a 770. Not every game requires a 970 and up. The pack in games should work well for example. I'm also in your situation though, and the only option for upgrading it seems is to get a good deal on a 970 since pascal looks like its not going to be here for a while.
But I don't want my first VR experience to be subpar. I've been ignoring developer devices for this reason. Are you getting a 970?

My heart goes out to you. Seriously. I decided to wait until the fall and it's killing me but fuck if I was trying jump on now I'd be lost. There's literally no good option right now.
Well, at least we can still play normie games on Steam together, Jtwo.

Exuro

But I don't want my first VR experience to be subpar. I've been ignoring developer devices for this reason. Are you getting a 970?
Well I'm not sure those games would be subpar.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/htc-vive-virtual-reality-hmd,4519-7.html

Job Simulator runs pretty well on a 770 going off this chart.

I would really want to play The Lab games though and I'm not sure how performance intensive those are. And space pirates trainer which apparently sucks with a 770... soooo I'll just be on the look out for a good deal on a 970. Seeing that I wont get the thing until Mayish hopefully there's some deals on those cards.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Welp I see he did it like a pansy instead of like a boss.
:p

20131127125042-conqueryourchallenges-kilimanjaro.png

Actually after reading how his trip went I think the WHM could have benefited him greatly. I can personally attest to it pretty much saving my life (I was an invalid due to a car accident and a bad back injury) and I have actually become a local celebrity for going all throughout winter in nothing but my shorts while I shovel snow, polar bear swim or any outdoor activity in WELL below zero weather. I went viral once and I've been featured in the front page of our paper. I now help others do the method but man would I love to travel to Europe and climb a mountain with Hof.

Anyway, something to consider Evilore!

Yeah, next time I'll be sure to write a bullshit press release about my trip full of absurdities, lies, and inaccuracies to promote my personal branding and self-help schemes.

Alright, everything seems to be up and running properly now. I played a couple of experiments in The Lab.

I had a DK1, a DK2, I bought the first Gear VR, and I tried the Crecent Bay prototype. I've tried a lot of VR demos. I think I can safely say I have some history with the medium.

Opening the pocket dimension in Robot Repair and peeking directly inside at the tiny little dudes in their tiny little offices, with all the intricate details of these tiny keyboards and everything, was the most transformative moments I've ever had in VR. It was a real aha moment.

I'm hoping something like VRClay comes to the Vive soon. I wanna start being productive.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Has anyone ordered a vr cover? I can't decide on the cotton or water proof. These things tend to heat up a bit on your face between the displays and your natural body heat trapped in a mask. I'd prefer to save my foam from sweat and oil.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

I'm way too privileged to deserve a gesture like that. If someone's going to help a fellow gaffer out by selling at-cost for a unit they can't use right now instead of flipping, there are way more appropriate candidates who would really appreciate it and don't have alternative means. Thanks for suggesting me though. ;b I'll sort it out.

Kevin

So I have about a 6x6.5 worth of space in my room. I could possibly turn that into a 7.5x6.5 space if I move things around some.

What do you guys think? Worth it or not? Here is what I have to work with...

image1.jpg

The green area if currently about 6x6.5 without moving things around.

Been thinking about canceling my Rift preorder and switching over to Vive but the big hold out was my limited space and I wanted some input from some of you guys on whether or not is was still worth it.

Yeah, next time I'll be sure to write a bullshit press release about my trip full of absurdities, lies, and inaccuracies to promote my personal branding and self-help schemes.

Well I'm sorry if I offended you but that is not what I meant to do and I for sure didn't mean to downplay your accomplishment at all because it is a BIG one. I did the opposite a while back as a kid and hiked the grand canyon so I know what it means to do this. Wim Hof is pretty well researched and vetted as far as I know. I don't know how much you have looked into him but here is a good video that I usually show everyone who might be skeptical. As well as joe rogans interviews and the vice doc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=389c31dD9xg She is a scientist and does a good job of explaining what goes on with the WHM.

And if it's the amount that you pay for the coarse then I understand your worry. I have discussed this with many others in my various polar bear groups along with licensed (tested both physically and on paper by Hof) and very intelligent WHM teachers. We pretty much agree that the price is a bummer but that it will dissuade those who aren't absolutely serious about doing this which can lead to injury or death if you aren't serious about it and are just playing around. The worst PR for the WHM would be for people to start dying from it because they where doing it on a whim and where being stupid. You don't have to take the coarse at all (I didn't) because the info is out there especially in the various closed groups and such if you are worried about anything you may be doing wrong etc.

If you want proof of my own endeavors or medical history I can provide that, as well as doctors notes of my bodies healing process before, during and after I started practicing the method.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Has anyone ordered a vr cover? I can't decide on the cotton or water proof. These things tend to heat up a bit on your face between the displays and your natural body heat trapped in a mask. I'd prefer to save my foam from sweat and oil.

I've ordered four of the waterproof ones. (Meant to just get two and noticed later that there were two in each order, lol)

I think the DIY cut-eye-holes-out-of-a-wide-headband type solution that came up in the last few pages might be just as effective while waiting for a shipment.

AllenShrz

So I have about a 6x6.5 worth of space in my room. I could possibly turn that into a 7.5x6.5 space if I move things around some.

image1.jpg

Been thinking about canceling my Rift preorder and switching over to Vive but the big hold out was my limited space and I wanted some input from some of you guys on whether or not is was still worth it.

Good Lord! Clean it it first!!!

jeez

theeraser

Well, at least we can still play normie games on Steam together, Jtwo.
If you do decide to sell it and are looking for a buyer, send me a PM :)... :(

IMACOMPUTA

image1.jpg

I say clean those clothes up our you're grounded, young man!

But seriously clean those clothes up and move the mini fridge in the corner and you'll have some more room.
You should be able to make that space work.

image1.jpg

7ew3ZSx.jpg

May want to tape a pillow to it or something lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom