• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's one for the artists - do you think Lighthouse could be used as an input for illustration/photo editing? Not talking about Tilt Brush, just regular editing, but on a virtual easel or giant tablet.

Imagine a laser pointer extending from the controller as your mouse pointer, and you're interacting with the image at the intersection point. Pull trigger for pressure-sensitive input.

You'd rely on working on a zoomed image most of the time for precision work, but I think it could be useful.

Decoupled from the Z axis it would be significantly worse than using a wacom since you're not getting feedback for what kind of stroke pressure you're using, so kinda bad for emulating a paint brush but probably fucking awesome for virtual spray paint or any kind of air brushing.

And with software written for it in mind (as in proper ui) you could probably do awesome vector work.

Plasmid

I almost just bought one on eBay for $1700.

Help me GAF. I'm starting to be irrationally obsessive about this. I almost literally can't stop checking this thread and r/Vive every few minutes.

Edit: oh my god there was just one for $1100 what is my life

Buy one now and wait for May ship like me

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Decoupled from the Z axis it would be significantly worse than using a wacom since you're not getting feedback for what kind of stroke pressure you're using, so kinda bad for emulating a paint brush but probably fucking awesome for virtual spray paint or any kind of air brushing.

And with software written for it in mind (as in proper ui) you could probably do awesome vector work.

Oh yeah, good point, I was thinking more of broad drawing and painting rather than calligraphy. Could maybe accomplish something using haptic feedback corresponding to brush depth to get a "feel" for it using depth as the pressure control rather than the trigger. (increasing tick frequency and brush pressure as the controller is closer to the virtual canvas, working over a broader Z range)

Help me GAF. I'm starting to be irrationally obsessive about this. I almost literally can't stop checking this thread and r/Vive every few minutes.

Save the scalper premium and upgrade your PC instead.

Animator

I did this morning, but May is so far away. Insanely far away. It's killing me.

It's just three weeks away. Gives you time to clean and prepare your room. :)

Look man Trust me I want one more than anyone since I have actual work depending on it but that's dumb. You can wait a couple more weeks instead making some asshole scalper rich. You are not waiting for a fucking heart transplant, it's an entertainment item.

Helznicht

Thats only ~30 cents an hour more than buying from Steam and waiting to May. Seems reasonable.

these next 6 weeks are gonna be painful

Compsiox

Banned
I just played my first 2 hours of Hover Junkers with Tobuscus! It was amazing fun. Such a great game on good servers.

Oh yeah, good point, I was thinking more of broad drawing and painting rather than calligraphy. Could maybe accomplish something using haptic feedback corresponding to brush depth to get a "feel" for it using depth as the pressure control rather than the trigger. (increasing tick frequency with depth)

Save the scalper premium and upgrade your PC instead.

It's just three weeks away. Gives you time to clean and prepare your room. :)

Look man Trust me I want one more than anyone since I have actual work depending on it but that's dumb. You can wait a couple more weeks instead making some asshole scalper rich. You are not waiting for a fucking heart transplant, it's an entertainment item.

Yeah, fair points. I need to not be incredibly childish about this :\

I guess if you really wanted to paint in 2d you could add a soft tip on the controller and align a virtual surface with a real one.

Raticus79

I guess if you really wanted to paint in 2d you could add a soft tip on the controller and align a virtual surface with a real one.

Maybe a pressure-sensitive tip attachment to plug into the USB on the Lighthouse controller which send its own status back to the program, then the program stitches it together with the controller to determine the intersection point. Best of both worlds. Not quite as precise, but the payoff is a much bigger surface. Could use your whole floor or wall.

Helznicht

maxresdefault.jpg

Maybe a pressure-sensitive tip attachment to plug into the USB on the Lighthouse controller which send its own status back to the program, then the program stitches it together to get the best of both worlds.

That's an overly complicated solution to a non problem, just use a tablet.

Wacoms work really well, there's a MUCH clearer through line to sculpture with this thing than 2d work.

A version of Zbrush that supports this kind of input method would be fucking awesome.

My controllers keep desyncing and I have no fucking clue why. They're full charge, and they're on, but it says they can't see the lighthouses, which are angled properly at opposite sides of the room.

I wish I knew what was wrong. :(

Compsiox

Banned
My controllers keep desyncing and I have no fucking clue why. They're full charge, and they're on, but it says they can't see the lighthouses, which are angled properly at opposite sides of the room.

I wish I knew what was wrong. :(

Wave them around and reset Steam VR and check to make sure the lights on lighthouse are solid white

Help me, GAF! I have one HDMI port, the rest are displayport. I plugged my vive into the HDMI, and my monitor's HDMI cable into a displayport using an adapter. Now my desktop resolution is capped at 1080p (1440p monitor). Uninstalled, reinstalled drivers, tried different ports, but no dice. Any recommendations?

Help me, GAF! I have one HDMI port, the rest are displayport. I plugged my vive into the HDMI, and my monitor's HDMI cable into a displayport using an adapter. Now my desktop resolution is capped at 1080p (1440p monitor). Uninstalled, reinstalled drivers, tried different ports, but no dice. Any recommendations?

Vive doesnt have display port?

Maybe a pressure-sensitive tip attachment to plug into the USB on the Lighthouse controller which send its own status back to the program, then the program stitches it together with the controller to determine the intersection point. Best of both worlds. Not quite as precise, but the payoff is a much bigger surface. Could use your whole floor or wall.

I was thinking if the tip was the right design you could just measure the distance from the surface the controller is. I wasn't sure if Wacoms measure pressure directly or just how far the tip has been retracted. A custom designed brush controller might b best anyway, but someone should make a Jackson Pollock simulator for now.

Raticus79

That's an overly complicated solution to a non problem, just use a tablet.

Wacoms work really well, there's a MUCH clearer through line to sculpture with this thing than 2d work.

A version of Zbrush that supports this kind of input method would be fucking awesome.

I guess the appeal for me is I don't have a Wacom (maybe someday), but I will have a Vive. Everything looks like a nail when you have a hammer, etc.

I was thinking if the tip was the right design you could just measure the distance from the surface the controller is. I wasn't sure if Wacoms measure pressure directly or just how far the tip has been retracted. A custom designed brush controller might b best anyway, but someone should make a Jackson Pollock simulator for now.

According to a quick search, it's pressure, but measured indirectly via a spring to avoid damage. I think the travel distance is pretty minimal. Could get close via position tracking (sub-mm), but not quite that close I think.

Using a much wider range for stylus distance and relying on haptic feedback instead of pressure has its own benefits, though - could draw a line with very smooth gradual pressure changes with a sweep of the arm bringing it closer during the arc. That would be a lot harder to do with a pen.

Karak

I guess the appeal for me is I don't have a Wacom (maybe someday), but I will have a Vive. Everything looks like a nail when you have a hammer, etc.

According to a quick search, it's pressure, but measured indirectly via a spring to avoid damage. I think the travel distance is pretty minimal. Could get close via position tracking (sub-mm), but not quite that close I think.

Using a much wider range for stylus distance has its own benefits, though - could draw a line with very gradual pressure changes with a sweep of the arm bringing it closer during the arc.

We already know that a particular dev is working on a living painting game. The behind closed door demo was a bit like living in Fantasia/sorcerers apprentice with Mickey Mouse. If your cooler with that kind of fantastical vibe I know of at least 2 doing something to that effect currently as well as a pretty sweet attempt at a modelling/clay sculpting game where more and more challenging items were brought up and you had to sculpt them with various materials.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I hadn't even remembered what ports were on my video card. I only have one HDMI so I'll either have to go to DVI or get a display port to HDMI cable for my monitor.

I can't check my order on the site. It asks for either my email and last five digits of my card, or order number and password. Whichever one I choose just takes me to a wrong information message.

Had the same problem. Sign in like normal through the home page, then go to Order Status in the footer. At that page, go to "Forgot Password" and reset your password. Once you do, you should be able to check your stuff through the Order ID + password route using the new password.

Zalusithix

I hadn't even remembered what ports were on my video card. I only have one HDMI so I'll either have to go to DVI or get a display port to HDMI cable for my monitor.

If you have a free DP port on your card, you can just use a DP-> (mini)DP cable to the Vive breakout box.

Raticus79

We already know that a particular dev is working on a living painting game. The behind closed door demo was a bit like living in Fantasia/sorcerers apprentice with Mickey Mouse. If your cooler with that kind of fantastical vibe I know of at least 2 doing something to that effect currently as well as a pretty sweet attempt at a modelling/clay sculpting game where more and more challenging items were brought up and you had to sculpt them with various materials.

Right on, that sounds like it would be a fun take on it.

Yoritomo

I'm tired. Lower back is a bit sore, feet hurt.

The screen can definitely improve.

I was constantly amazed at how accurate the controller tracking was.

Got a 4m x 3m space.

It funny watching the screen mirror when my kids are playing you get a new realization of how short they are and their perspective of things. Watching them play job simulator was hilarious.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Welp. I was on Kili when Vive preorders went up so I had an ebay deal to forward a confirmed first wave shipment to me upon initial arrival...and the seller just cancelled the transaction, probably to make an extra $600 or so from it given how the market conditions have changed over the past few days.

That's...not very cool, haha.

Sky Chief

The presence that I feel in every minigame of The Lab is incredible. That shit is like Wii Sports times a million. It feels weird being back in real reality.

GReeeeN

Any impressions from the screen quality/ resolution?,

Is the resolution enough to be "future proof" for a few years or will we see higher Res VR displays in a year or so?

Do these specs feel sufficient enough for some time to come ?

Jimrpg

Guess what - 99.9% of the world doesn't have a vive.

You'll be just fine. Relax and work on your backlog.

Raticus79

Welp. I was on Kili when Vive preorders went up so I had an ebay deal to forward a confirmed first wave shipment to me upon initial arrival...and the seller just cancelled the transaction, probably to make an extra $600 or so from it given how the market conditions have changed over the past few days.

That's...not very cool, haha.

Salt on the wound!

I'd say leave negative feedback but I'm guessing it's a one-off account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom