• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krejlooc

Banned
So what names are people using for the buttons on the controller? We have been calling them top button, pad, pad button, shoulder buttons, and home button.

Evo X

The VR craziness is getting to me. Just split my office desk in half, reorganized everything, and relocated the bookshelf to another room in preparation for the Vive.

Now I have 12' by 9' of unencumbered space to move around. Also decided I am just going to cleanly wall mount the Lighthouses. Those poles and clamps were nearly $100 and looked ugly as fuck. I'll just repair the holes in the walls when I move out.

Now please just ship the damn thing out to me HTC!

ryanofcall

I don't know how it us possible, but I have still not tried a VR yet.
Does anyone know a place I can go try in central London?

Soi-Fong

Apollo 11 VR is amazing. I don't know how the fuck those astronauts landed the eagle on the lunar surface. I can't get it right at all. You're having to take into account literally everything, pitch, yaw, speed, etc

Jesus, I can't imagine what was going through their head doing the landing. Because pretty much if you botch it, you're pancake on the lunar surface.

Loved the first part though, where you align the lunar module. Something as simple as that and I was sweating like crazy. The audio, just trying to get the angle right, trying to steady that fucker into place..

Graphically, it's not the best, but my god, you ignore all of that and just take in the experience!

The VR craziness is getting to me. Just split my office desk in half, reorganized everything, and relocated the bookshelf to another room in preparation for the Vive.

Now I have 12' by 9' of unencumbered space to move around. Also decided I am just going to cleanly wall mount the Lighthouses. Those poles and clamps were nearly $100 and looked ugly as fuck. I'll just repair the holes in the walls when I move out.

Now please just ship the damn thing out to me HTC!

lol I built an entire murphy bed so I know how you feel bro.

Also, clean mounting and repairing the holes is definitely the way to go. Stuff like that is easy to repair. I will be doing the same at the start but will probably end up playing around with a boom setup of some sort after I get a feel for it.

IMACOMPUTA

lol I built an entire murphy bed so I know how you feel bro.

Also, clean mounting and repairing the holes is definitely the way to go. Stuff like that is easy to repair. I will be doing the same at the start but will probably end up playing around with a boom setup of some sort after I get a feel for it.

What about if we want to have a space for room scale but also seated and the computer is outside of the base station area?
That's what I'm worried about.

Maybe I can just swivel one of the base stations to point at where I'll be sitting at the computer and use only the 1 for tracking while seated?

Evo X

What about if we want to have a space for room scale but also seated and the computer is outside of the base station area?
That's what I'm worried about.

Maybe I can just swivel one of the base stations to point at where I'll be sitting at the computer and use only the 1 for tracking while seated?

My office is a rectangle, and I am mounting the lighthouses in the middle of the shorter walls on opposite ends so they should have no issue scanning the entire room.

XRA

Neo Member
So I have about a 6x6.5 worth of space in my room. I could possibly turn that into a 7.5x6.5 space if I move things around some.

What do you guys think? Worth it or not? Here is what I have to work with...

image1.jpg

The green area if currently about 6x6.5 without moving things around.

Been thinking about canceling my Rift preorder and switching over to Vive but the big hold out was my limited space and I wanted some input from some of you guys on whether or not is was still worth it.

try to get it to 7 x 6.5, im using about 7.5' x 5.2' and i think it is worth it

XRA

Neo Member
i just cant get over The Lab... has anyone else just sat in that photogrammetry cave and blew balloons, knocking them so they float up through the surface hole?

IMACOMPUTA

My office is a rectangle, and I am mounting the lighthouses in the middle of the shorter walls on opposite ends so they should have no issue scanning the entire room.

I have beams that hang down kind of separating sections of the room :/

IMACOMPUTA

This is pretty useless information.. but I guess I'll post it. I emailed asking for any kind of update on when to expect shipping:

Dear IMACOMPUTA,

Good evening IMACOMPUTA! I will be happy to help you regarding your order number [redacted], the system show us that your order is In Process ,I am afraid that as in right now we do not have and expectation day on when your order is going to be send once the order is ready you will be receiving a confirmation and a tracking number. Thank you for your time and for contacting HTC

Let me know if I have successfully answered your question, please click here to complete this.

To send a reply to this message, please click here.

Sincerely,

Torres

HTC

T.O.P

Banned
Has anyone with a 970 tried theBlu by any chance? Really need to know how it would run on my rig before purchasing

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have a couple of lightstands I'll use initially, because I need to find out if they'll work with a low beam between them which means mounting one a little lower than I'd like. Will permanently mount after figuring that out.

Is there any way to get the mirrored screen sent via steam home streaming? Thinking about temporary setups in the living room, I can get extension cables for the vive breakout box, but mirroring the PC for spectators is tricky. My graphics card only has one HDMI (for vive) and one DP (for monitor) and a couple of dvis.

viveks86

Been in VR for 5 hours non stop. Zero motion sickness, even with windlands.

Setup was a PAIN IN THE ASS! Nothing worked off the bat. The controllers wouldn't pair out of the box So had to re-pair after looking up online on what the blue LED meant. Then one lighthouse would never track. The headset would never get detected.After a bunch of rebooting, the lighthouses wouldn't even wake up from sleep. Thought I had to do the firmware updates, but anytime I clicked on it, Steam VR would crash. The break out box was the only thing I hadn't rebooted, so I did that as well. And voila, everything paired up and worked like magic!

Pro-tip: When in trouble, reboot EVERYTHING

Was smooth sailing after the first successful attempt. Been flawless since.

The SDE is quite visible when you look for it. Heck, if you focus on a specific region, you could easily discern individual Red, Green and Blue sub-pixels. The FoV is ok. Definitely felt like wearing ski goggles. And there are all kinds of lens flaws. You can see the concentric ridges at certain brightness levels. And then there is the issue with the flaring when dealing with black backgrounds and bright foreground. I needed to get used to moving my head instead of my eyes, because things get blurry towards the extremities. But the moment you pay attention to the content, all of these issues melt away. This is coming from someone who refuses to play on any resolution below 4K on a 48 inch TV that is 10 feet away. Trust me, give it an hour and the issue will be a thing of the past.

What I found more distracting was the aliasing in games where it doesn't let us modify any settings. Many of them do 8XMSAA, so it's mostly ok, but it still shows up at times. The SDKs need to support downsampling out of the box. I believe the Rift already has a resolution scaling option for its games. Yet to find a way to do that for the Vive. But I'm afraid most people won't have the hardware to maintain 90 with it. Still, it needs to be there for those who have the extra juice.

Another issue I noticed is the in-game controller models don't move as smoothly in VR as they do while mirroring on a TV/Monitor. It's butter smooth during the Vive startup room as well as steam VR, but it kinda feels sub 90 fps in the lab, though the game itself feels super smooth. It felt better in windlands and budget cuts. But still, if you move it really fast, you could see a ghost trail, which doesn't happen outside the game. So I'm definitely chalking that up as software related since the tracking itself works flawlessly.

So there is a ton of room for improvement, but this is the first generation after all.

But man oh man, roomscale VR is freaking incredible. I was so overwhelmed by the sense of presence when I started off, that I could barely even follow basic instructions during the tutorial or that robot repair demo. "Sensory overload" is the phrase that came to mind. I'm absolutely floored by EVERYTHING. Shooting an arrow, playing fetch with a dog, throwing a knife... I could do just those for hours. That's how satisfying it feels. More on that tomorrow. It's almost midnight and I haven't had any food since 1 PM! The future is here y'all!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have beams that hang down kind of separating sections of the room :/

How far down does it hang? I have one of these too - 2x2m 'safe', 3x2m including beam area. My desk is outside of that area so I need to deal with the beam anyway. Just going to mount one of the lighthouses lower so they can see each other and see if it works

Still no sign of either headset. Think I'm going to start scratching marks in the wall to count the days

Starviper

Can't wait for my vive to get here - gonna be in May but just reading the reviews I am super excited - seems to have been a far better launch all around than the Oculus. Hoping by the time I get my setup some of the kinks have been worked out.

bj00rn_

Banned
Has anyone had the experience of the CCcharge disappearing but order stays live, then they charge again when they actually ship it?

This is normal and expected since HTC/DR are taking their time.. The pending charge stays pending for a few days and then goes away if not collected. But the authorization is still valid (unless it was because it was declined, but then you would probably receive a notification of cancellation..).

So normally the only thing you need to do is to keep enough funds available in your account at all times.

Sky Chief

Alright, everything seems to be up and running properly now. I played a couple of experiments in The Lab.

I had a DK1, a DK2, I bought the first Gear VR, and I tried the Crecent Bay prototype. I've tried a lot of VR demos. I think I can safely say I have some history with the medium.

Opening the pocket dimension in Robot Repair and peeking directly inside at the tiny little dudes in their tiny little offices, with all the intricate details of these tiny keyboards and everything, was the most transformative moments I've ever had in VR. It was a real aha moment.

I'm hoping something like VRClay comes to the Vive soon. I wanna start being productive.

Try the archery! The beginning of the archery is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

Krejlooc

Banned
This has been so much fun. Had a bunch of people over tonight and we played all evening. Started at 4 pm and the last of the people just left at 2:30. We didn't even cover all the games.

Incredible launch line up. Our favorites are Hover Junkers, The Lab, Budget Cuts, and Audioshield.

Sky Chief

This has been so much fun. Had a bunch of people over tonight and we played all evening. Started at 4 pm and the last of the people just left at 2:30. We didn't even cover all the games.

Incredible launch line up. Our favorites are Hover Junkers, The Lab, Budget Cuts, and Audioshield.

Honestly, I think this is the best launch lineup I have ever seen for new hardware. Every game and experience is so good and so varied. The Lab is better than Wii Sports. I hope they bring out more stuff. I hope there's entire games like Xartax and the bow and arrow coming out ASAP.

Cimarron

Worth... Every.... Penny. I have to be up in 3 hrs ugh. Tilt brush was cool but I couldn't figure out to look st other peoples art. I disn't get a chance to play as much as I wanted though. Is it true somebody already made a layer for Rift. I guess its time to sell my old DK2. We had great times old friend but its about time you left.

Sky Chief

Has anyone ordered a vr cover? I can't decide on the cotton or water proof. These things tend to heat up a bit on your face between the displays and your natural body heat trapped in a mask. I'd prefer to save my foam from sweat and oil.

I got the cotton ones. I feel like the other one though waterproof would get really sweaty. Better to have two covers and switch them out and clean them.

Arulan

I received it roughly 12 hours ago, and have spent that entire time setting up my office and in the Vive. I've tried the Vive a few times before, but finally having it here is incredible. Surprisingly enough, my i7-920/GTX 670 has been doing pretty well, although I've hardly tried much (Tutorial, Tilt Brush, Surgeon Simulator VR: Meet the Medic, and AltspaceVR). This makes the wait until my new build (Broadwell-E/Pascal) so much more bearable. I hope Audioshield runs well, because I can see myself playing that for a long time.

I tried my HD 600s with the Vive and they appear to sufficiently drive them.

I did have a minor problem with the room setup. I have two desks in a corner setup, and when I'd trace over one specific area, the part that sticks out, it would draw a diagonal line across instead of the square. I have a little side table that I use for food and drinks that I'd have to move in that area anyways, and drawing around both fixed the issue.

About the Lighthouse base stations: Are we supposed to unplug them when we're not using them? Does the Bluetooth connectivity automatically turn them on/off?

I haven't been so ecstatic in a long time. :)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Been in VR for 5 hours non stop. Zero motion sickness, even with windlands.

Setup was a PAIN IN THE ASS! Nothing worked off the bat. The controllers wouldn't pair out of the box So had to re-pair after looking up online on what the blue LED meant. Then one lighthouse would never track. The headset would never get detected.After a bunch of rebooting, the lighthouses wouldn't even wake up from sleep. Thought I had to do the firmware updates, but anytime I clicked on it, Steam VR would crash. The break out box was the only thing I hadn't rebooted, so I did that as well. And voila, everything paired up and worked like magic!

Pro-tip: When in trouble, reboot EVERYTHING

Was smooth sailing after the first successful attempt. Been flawless since.

The SDE is quite visible when you look for it. Heck, if you focus on a specific region, you could easily discern individual Red, Green and Blue sub-pixels. The FoV is ok. Definitely felt like wearing ski goggles. And there are all kinds of lens flaws. You can see the concentric ridges at certain brightness levels. And then there is the issue with the flaring when dealing with black backgrounds and bright foreground. I needed to get used to moving my head instead of my eyes, because things get blurry towards the extremities. But the moment you pay attention to the content, all of these issues melt away. This is coming from someone who refuses to play on any resolution below 4K on a 48 inch TV that is 10 feet away. Trust me, give it an hour and the issue will be a thing of the past.

What I found more distracting was the aliasing in games where it doesn't let us modify any settings. Many of them do 8XMSAA, so it's mostly ok, but it still shows up at times. The SDKs need to support downsampling out of the box. I believe the Rift already has a resolution scaling option for its games. Yet to find a way to do that for the Vive. But I'm afraid most people won't have the hardware to maintain 90 with it. Still, it needs to be there for those who have the extra juice.

Another issue I noticed is the in-game controller models don't move as smoothly in VR as they do while mirroring on a TV/Monitor. It's butter smooth during the Vive startup room as well as steam VR, but it kinda feels sub 90 fps in the lab, though the game itself feels super smooth. It felt better in windlands and budget cuts. But still, if you move it really fast, you could see a ghost trail, which doesn't happen outside the game. So I'm definitely chalking that up as software related since the tracking itself works flawlessly.

So there is a ton of room for improvement, but this is the first generation after all.

But man oh man, roomscale VR is freaking incredible. I was so overwhelmed by the sense of presence when I started off, that I could barely even follow basic instructions during the tutorial or that robot repair demo. "Sensory overload" is the phrase that came to mind. I'm absolutely floored by EVERYTHING. Shooting an arrow, playing fetch with a dog, throwing a knife... I could do just those for hours. That's how satisfying it feels. More on that tomorrow. It's almost midnight and I haven't had any food since 1 PM! The future is here y'all!

Fantastic. I was hoping to see this type of reaction.

I've pre-ordered a PSVR. It's going to be a long long wait until this arrives hearing you guys enjoying your Vives/Rifts.

Keep the impressions coming. It really does sound awesome.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Here I am today at work and my muscles are sore from playing Hover Junkers late in the night. Damn, that was fun.

Krejlooc

Banned
Audioshield is a blast. They need more backgrounds and levels, but the game itself is terrific. The levels it generates are actually really good, especially on hardest difficulties. It's the kind of game that used to be really hard to play on Kinect or Eye Toy because of how inaccurate it was to judge distance and position. It controls like such a dream in VR.

It's so funny to watch people play in VR, too, because they forget about everyone else in the room and get serious. The dancing looks hilarious.

Krejlooc

Banned
Man, I've seen so many hardware launches and I've been on the cutting edge of VR since the DK1, and this launch is still memorable. The last time I felt so overwhelmingly happy with my purchase - to the point where I want to call up random people and have them over to try this stuff out - was the launch of the Sega Dreamcast. This is the most mindblowing launch since then as well.

This was a great launch. I'll probably get my Rift here in a week or so, but no way can it live up to what today with the vive was. I want to go back and play more.

Barryman

Has anyone with a 970 tried theBlu by any chance? Really need to know how it would run on my rig before purchasing

From what I've seen, people have had success running it on a 970. It wouldn't surprise me if the Whale Encounter and Reef Migration ran fine on a 970. The Luminous Abyss is more taxing on the GPU, so if you do end up making the purchase, let me know how it runs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom