• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evo X

Man, I've seen so many hardware launches and I've been on the cutting edge of VR since the DK1, and this launch is still memorable. The last time I felt so overwhelmingly happy with my purchase - to the point where I want to call up random people and have them over to try this stuff out - was the launch of the Sega Dreamcast. This is the most mindblowing launch since then as well.

This was a great launch. I'll probably get my Rift here in a week or so, but no way can it live up to what today with the vive was. I want to go back and play more.

Yeah, real amazing "launch" when only 1% of the people who ordered actually got one.

Krejlooc

Banned
So one thing people haven't talked a lot about is how well integrated SteamVR is into the headset VR experience. I like the option to duplicate audio across multiple hardware devices, and I like how easy it is to get in and out of VR games with the SteamVR interface. It's so slick and smooth. I like how the home button on the controllers has a "close game" button right there in front of you. It was so easy walking people through choosing their VR experience thanks to that universal close button. For the first time ever, I didn't have to baby people through starting and running a VR game or program. The interface is slick and complete enough for people entirely new to this to pick up in minutes. I had friends over who had never even heard of steam before who got it so well that I was able to run to the store for some beer and leave them to themselves to manage.

viveks86

Man, playing VR games seated with a gamepad feels like garbage in comparison. The only time I can imagine doing this is if I have a steering wheel in front of me, or a HOTAS setup, or if the game itself requires you to be sitting without a controller. Otherwise, it pretty much felt like watching a 3D movie. There is no sense of presence whatsoever. And stick rotation while sitting is the WORST. It's literally the only thing that made me slightly uneasy. Standing while playing with a gamepad seems better, but having your hands stuck together holding a controller that doesn't exist in-game completely ruins immersion. It feels better in third person than first person.

Just tried out Mind: Path to Thalamus and even though it works flawlessly, I would much rather play it at 4k60 on a flat screen. Give me 4K per eye and then may be it would be a better seated experience in VR. Even then, fuck stick rotation. That control scheme in VR needs to die in a fire.

May be I would've had a better impression if I didn't just try it right after using motion controls, but it feels so outdated in comparison. I'm officially baffled that Oculus chose to release the Rift without Touch. That is not how you want to introduce the masses to VR. It kills immersion and dramatically increases chances of motion sickness.

I think I may not use the Rift for anything other than cockpit games until Touch comes out. Even then, I can't see myself playing cockpit games with a gamepad.

Anybody watch "The Rose and I" on their Vive?

Worth 5 bucks?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/396060/

Will be watching it tomorrow and reviewing it

So one thing people haven't talked a lot about is how well integrated SteamVR is into the headset VR experience. I like the option to duplicate audio across multiple hardware devices, and I like how easy it is to get in and out of VR games with the SteamVR interface. It's so slick and smooth. I like how the home button on the controllers has a "close game" button right there in front of you. It was so easy walking people through choosing their VR experience thanks to that universal close button. For the first time ever, I didn't have to baby people through starting and running a VR game or program. The interface is slick and complete enough for people entirely new to this to pick up in minutes. I had friends over who had never even heard of steam before who got it so well that I was able to run to the store for some beer and leave them to themselves to manage.

This is honestly one of the things I'm looking forward to the most with both the Vive and the Rift. Every VR experience I've had with Google Cardboard, DK1 and DK2 has involved meticulously set up to make sure that the experience started properly and continued functioning as intended the entire time. When I was using it alone this was just mildly frustrating, but it became a pretty huge issue when showing others. Now that these things are actually consumer products, the properly integrated UI seems an amazing upgrade.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Yeah, it's really easy to use it to set up also the view and audio for the spectators. And my girlfriend who doesn't really use Steam usually picked up the VR interface really fast.

Krejlooc

Banned
This is honestly one of the things I'm looking forward to the most with both the Vive and the Rift. Every VR experience I've had with Google Cardboard, DK1 and DK2 has involved meticulously set up to make sure that the experience started properly and continued functioning as intended the entire time. When I was using it alone this was just mildly frustrating, but it became a pretty huge issue when showing others. Now that these things are actually consumer products, the properly integrated UI seems an amazing upgrade.

The integrated camera is also such a huge help, and I'm baffled as to why Oculus doesn't have one when even Gear VR had the option. It's so incredibly useful especially since it's universal and built into SteamVR. The first thing I explain to people when they put on the vive is the chaperone system and the camera, and from that point on everything else is smooth running. I have wireless headphones, so people have no problems finding them on the room and picking them up, or finding and picking up their controllers. They can also error-correct themselves in a room and peak to move themselves to the center of the room. It's also funny how often people bring the camera up to talk to other people in the room. Never felt totally isolated playing this stuff.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
checked my online banking to see if £750 had been taken yet, only to find my balance had gone up! Got a £600 refund from the taxman :)

Still would prefer the vive though..

Hoo-doo

Banned
So I have about a 6x6.5 worth of space in my room. I could possibly turn that into a 7.5x6.5 space if I move things around some.

What do you guys think? Worth it or not? Here is what I have to work with...

image1.jpg

The green area if currently about 6x6.5 without moving things around.

Been thinking about canceling my Rift preorder and switching over to Vive but the big hold out was my limited space and I wanted some input from some of you guys on whether or not is was still worth it.

What.. what is on your floor? Is that a unused basement or something?

I don't want to sound like a dick but how can you justify dropping thousands of dollars on VR headsets and a PC yet still live/sleep in a room that looks like this. Prioritize, my man.

So the pending transaction on my credit card has disappeared, but hasn't been replaced by an actual charge. And it's shipped. Delay in the charge being shown as an actual one or free Vive?

So I have about a 6x6.5 worth of space in my room. I could possibly turn that into a 7.5x6.5 space if I move things around some.

What do you guys think? Worth it or not? Here is what I have to work with...

image1.jpg

The green area if currently about 6x6.5 without moving things around.

Been thinking about canceling my Rift preorder and switching over to Vive but the big hold out was my limited space and I wanted some input from some of you guys on whether or not is was still worth it.

Duder, you need to take a step back and evaluate your priorities in life. If you have $850 to spend on VR, take a chunk of that and fix your living situation.

The carpet has to go. Then, go to the nearest Ikea and buy a new bed frame, nightstand, a small storage unit, a laundry hamper, a new desk chair, and some curtains. Oh, and a pack of hangers and one of these to store you clothes on:

Then just scrub everything down, particularly the media center. That and the console setup seem totally serviceable, but incredibly dusty. You're literally a few hundred dollars and a day of cleaning away from having a cozy little one room setup.

T.O.P

Banned
From what I've seen, people have had success running it on a 970. It wouldn't surprise me if the Whale Encounter and Reef Migration ran fine on a 970. The Luminous Abyss is more taxing on the GPU, so if you do end up making the purchase, let me know how it runs!

Cheers, i'll buy it later, i OCed my MSI 970 a bit so i'm hoping it will be fine

...now i just need the freakin Vive :|

Zaptruder

Banned
Man, playing VR games seated with a gamepad feels like garbage in comparison. The only time I can imagine doing this is if I have a steering wheel in front of me, or a HOTAS setup, or if the game itself requires you to be sitting without a controller. Otherwise, it pretty much felt like watching a 3D movie. There is no sense of presence whatsoever. And stick rotation while sitting is the WORST. It's literally the only thing that made me slightly uneasy. Standing while playing with a gamepad seems better, but having your hands stuck together holding a controller that doesn't exist in-game completely ruins immersion. It feels better in third person than first person.

Just tried out Mind: Path to Thalamus and even though it works flawlessly, I would much rather play it at 4k60 on a flat screen. Give me 4K per eye and then may be it would be a better seated experience in VR. Even then, fuck stick rotation. That control scheme in VR needs to die in a fire.

May be I would've had a better impression if I didn't just try it right after using motion controls, but it feels so outdated in comparison. I'm officially baffled that Oculus chose to release the Rift without Touch. That is not how you want to introduce the masses to VR. It kills immersion and dramatically increases chances of motion sickness.

I think I may not use the Rift for anything other than cockpit games until Touch comes out. Even then, I can't see myself playing cockpit games with a gamepad.

Will be watching it tomorrow and reviewing it

After playing 2 days of Vive games straight... I'm starting to wish it had more gamepad experiences. Not that the motion controls and room scale aren't straight up the best thing ever. But shit man, that shit takes a physical toll. Spending hours and hours standing up and waving your arms around (and dashing around) is taxing stuff. To be fair, I'll cop to been quite unfit. But even so, sometimes I just want to stay in VR while chilling out to a gamepad game.

Having said that, I'd only be cool to gamepad with third person games like Luckey's tail. FPV Games like Adr1ft can go suck a dick.

Crispy75

That is awesome. This also reminds me how much VR and motion controls could change the way we do CAD and 3D design in general.

I'd LOVE to have VR for my day job (architecture) but I can't begin to imagine the computer needed to run a big CAD model at 90fps. Those things just aren't optimised at all.

Autodesk has Stingray which will support VR if it's not doing that already. Stingray is their realtime engine basically. Connects directly to Maya etc.

Stingray is just for visualisation though :(

viveks86

After playing 2 days of Vive games straight... I'm starting to wish it had more gamepad experiences. Not that the motion controls and room scale aren't straight up the best thing ever. But shit man, that shit takes a physical toll. Spending hours and hours standing up and waving your arms around (and dashing around) is taxing stuff. To be fair, I'll cop to been quite unfit. But even so, sometimes I just want to stay in VR while chilling out to a gamepad game.

Having said that, I'd only be cool to gamepad with third person games like Luckey's tail. FPV Games like Adr1ft can go suck a dick.

Yeah 3rd person seems tolerable with a gamepad. Quite ironic, since first person is the first thing that would come to people's minds

Zaptruder

Banned
I'd LOVE to have VR for my day job (architecture) but I can't begin to imagine the computer needed to run a big CAD model at 90fps. Those things just aren't optimised at all.

That's because there hasn't been significant pressure to optimize it properly.

Now that AutoCAD stands the chance of seeing their (future) lunch eaten by a VR competitor, they'll have to do a significant amount of work to get their stuff VR ready.

Having said that... as good as VR and motion controls are for 3D - the tools need to be good. It's not a miracle device. Just did some tilt brush. Amazing for artistic expressionism. Terrible for actual '3d modelling'.

Of course you can achieve results with it that you could never do in traditional 3D... but you can only achieve those results.

On the other hand, something like Modbox is closer to traditional 3D modelling (with some of its tools)... but even that isn't really suited to proper 3D modelling.

But you get the sense that if these things had the right functions, it'd be a vastly superior 3D everything experience.

Wallach

Yeah 3rd person seems tolerable with a gamepad. Quite ironic, since first person is the first thing that would come to people's minds

First person games with "normal" environments just seems like one of those cases where it sounds like what you'd expect the most, and the one that doesn't really have a good solution for current VR. Even thinking about the future with wireless HMDs and such, I don't know if they're ever going to work in the way people want them to without some kind of real advances in the kind of omni-directional standing style rigs like the Omni. Physical space is the real barrier there.

It's going to be a long ass time I think until people can get away from the lesser-of-two-evils kind of choice between teleportation or dealing with artificial locomotion.

viveks86

Another issue I noticed is the in-game controller models don't move as smoothly in VR as they do while mirroring on a TV/Monitor. It's butter smooth during the Vive startup room as well as steam VR, but it kinda feels sub 90 fps in the lab, though the game itself feels super smooth. It felt better in windlands and budget cuts. But still, if you move it really fast, you could see a ghost trail, which doesn't happen outside the game. So I'm definitely chalking that up as software related since the tracking itself works flawlessly.

Resolved this. Controller motion is ridiculously smooth now. Just realized I had rtss running in the background that had a global limit of 60 fps! Can't believe i was playing at 60 fps all this while... Lol, now I need to play everything again and see if it's even better

First person games with "normal" environments just seems like one of those cases where it sounds like what you'd expect the most, and the one that doesn't really have a good solution for current VR. Even thinking about the future with wireless HMDs and such, I don't know if they're ever going to work in the way people want them to without some kind of real advances in the kind of omni-directional standing style rigs like the Omni. Physical space is the real barrier there.

It's going to be a long ass time I think until people can get away from the lesser-of-two-evils kind of choice between teleportation or dealing with artificial locomotion.

Yeah. Don't think we'd ever get to a solution with no compromise. Hybrid teleportation + locomotion works really well in the lab and budget cuts. Make the headset wireless, Add a cooldown meter and stats for teleportation and we'd have the most practical solution. Not ideal, but ideal is going to need a warehouse to play in. I don't think stuff like omni will ever go mainstream

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Resolved this. Controller motion is ridiculously smooth now. Just realized I had rtss running in the background that had a global limit of 60 fps! Can't believe i was playing at 60 fps all this while... Lol, now I need to play everything again and see if it's even better

I was wondering what's up with that, because they felt really smooth to me, but I didn't want to argue that without trying it again later today.

Krejlooc

Banned
The control in Hover Junkers is sooooo good. I can't get over how well the platform control is. The game is incredible, real proof that an FPS deathmatch VR game can work.

There was this one moment that really stands out for me. I got into a battle with two other people in independent pods, one to my north and one to my east. I had heavy cover on my east side, but not so much on my north side. So I duck down beind the control panel while the guy north of me rains bullets down on me. I sprang up and popped off a shot that killed him just as the cover to my east gave out, so I rotated around and hid under a small box. As I did this, I circle-strafed my craft around his coming up from behind, where I stood up and pressed my back to a wall hiding me. There, I pivoted out and shot the dude point blank in the head.

It was so incredible feeling because I did it all myself. I actually did it. No canned animation, it was actually me ducking behind cover and flying the ship and sneaking around their view.

What a badass game. It makes me want to get another vive and build a player 2 computer.

The control in Hover Junkers is sooooo good. I can't get over how well the platform control is. The game is incredible, real proof that an FPS deathmatch VR game can work.

There was this one moment that really stands out for me. I got into a battle with two other people in independent pods, one to my north and one to my east. I had heavy cover on my east side, but not so much on my north side. So I duck down beind the control panel while the guy north of me rains bullets down on me. I sprang up and popped off a shot that killed him just as the cover to my east gave out, so I rotated around and hid under a small box. As I did this, I circle-strafed my craft around his coming up from behind, where I stood up and pressed my back to a wall hiding me. There, I pivoted out and shot the dude point blank in the head.

It was so incredible feeling because I did it all myself. I actually did it. No canned animation, it was actually me ducking behind cover and flying the ship and sneaking around their view.

What a badass game. It makes me want to get another vive and build a player 2 computer.

That sounds amazing!
Just what I was hoping for, when I first read about this game. It's definitely on my buy list (along with 10 other games!).
Just hope my Vive is waiting for me when I get back from holiday in 4 days........
I'm UK CC, so not holding out much hope...

Wallach

I'm really interested in seeing their single player mode. They've referenced Oregon Trail before as to how it might work. Sounds like it could be neat.

I've played Adventure Time yesterday on the Vive, I felt a bit weird when the camera was moving right when I wanted to look at something on the left. As long as I keep my head still when the camera moves it's fine.

Platforming is super great when you can easily judge distances

Wallach

More than anything, I want to try TF2 out after I have setup everything. Any impressions?

You mean the Surgeon Simulator TF2 cross-over? Or the actual TF2 base game? I don't know if TF2 supports VR but I can't imagine something that fast with artificial movement being anything but terribly uncomfortable.

derFeef

You mean the Surgeon Simulator TF2 cross-over? Or the actual TF2 base game? I don't know if TF2 supports VR but I can't imagine something that fast with artificial movement being anything but terribly uncomfortable.

Actual TF2. Wait, I thought that works with the Vive? I saw some video.

p2535748

I've got some weird drifting issues with the controllers. It seems to happen to one controller at a time, and the virtual controller will just start floating away from me all of the sudden. I thought I had fixed it earlier, but it came back last night.

It's super frustrating, because 90% of the time it works great, so when it breaks, it feels super weird. I'm wondering if it's an issue with windows in that room. Anyone experienced anything similar?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I've got some weird drifting issues with the controllers. It seems to happen to one controller at a time, and the virtual controller will just start floating away from me all of the sudden. I thought I had fixed it earlier, but it came back last night.

It's super frustrating, because 90% of the time it works great, so when it breaks, it feels super weird. I'm wondering if it's an issue with windows in that room. Anyone experienced anything similar?

I think that's generated by occlusion. It happens to me when I put the controllers on a part of the couch that is invisible to the lighthouses. So check if there is something blocking the "view". Maybe it's your body, but then it means that you need to change the layout of the lighthouses.

Durante

Spending hours and hours standing up and waving your arms around (and dashing around) is taxing stuff. To be fair, I'll cop to been quite unfit.
Well, not for long. Just play Audioshield for an hour every day ;)

(But seriously, I do think at least some of the room-scale VR games could be genuine boons to fitness)

Had the same problem. Sign in like normal through the home page, then go to Order Status in the footer. At that page, go to "Forgot Password" and reset your password. Once you do, you should be able to check your stuff through the Order ID + password route using the new password.

Thanks, I will try that. Not that it will make it ship any sooner, but it will give me peace of mind.

(But seriously, I do think at least some of the room-scale VR games could be genuine boons to fitness)

While I don't think you'll get in great shape or anything, just the fact that you are standing and waving your arms around for a few hours a day instead of sitting down is probably going to have a pretty positive effect on fat slobs like myself.

p2535748

I think that's generated by occlusion. It happens to me when I put the controllers on a part of the couch that is invisible to the lighthouses. So check if there is something blocking the "view". Maybe it's your body, but then it means that you need to change the layout of the lighthouses.

Hmm, maybe. I'll have to check my setup again. It doesn't seem like there should be any areas cut off, but I'll take another look. Thanks!

Krejlooc

Banned
They need to bring some steam controller options to the touchpad on the vive. Windlands, for instance, badly needs "requires click" for movement.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Thanks for sending me an email telling me your contact details have changed HTC. Not like I was waiting for anything important from you..

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hmm, maybe. I'll have to check my setup again. It doesn't seem like there should be any areas cut off, but I'll take another look. Thanks!

they could do with a diagnostic mode so you can just walk around in the loading screen grey area thing and see how the tracking is working - eg look at your right controller and it'll show how many sensors are picking up a signal from each lighthouse.

Durante

After I got my shipping information obsessing over checking emails has turned into obsessing over checking tracking.
I mean, for example, why has my package been in processing in Brno for 7 hours now???!?!?

Mikeside

Thanks for sending me an email telling me your contact details have changed HTC. Not like I was waiting for anything important from you..

This waiting game bullshit is dragging me down and putting a real downer on the product for me.

If it's not shipped by the weekend, I might actually be out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom