• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
After I got my shipping information obsessing over checking emails has turned into obsessing over checking tracking.
I mean, for example, why has my package been in processing in Brno for 7 hours now???!?!?

It stayed in Brno more than that for me, but I know the feeling. At some point in time I wanted to go there to take it.

dhlqho9t.jpg

Zeknurn

I finally got the tracking information from Czech DHL. It's being sent by express so hopefully it will show up today or tomorrow.

T.O.P

Banned
EU shipping with CC happening as i type this

Only xx:00 to xx:04 so far

How do i check my time? Hotmail/Outlook only shows me the date

IMACOMPUTA

What.. what is on your floor? Is that a unused basement or something?

I don't want to sound like a dick but how can you justify dropping thousands of dollars on VR headsets and a PC yet still live/sleep in a room that looks like this. Prioritize, my man.
Pssst...
You're sounding like a dick.

IMACOMPUTA

Duder, you need to take a step back and evaluate your priorities in life. If you have $850 to spend on VR, take a chunk of that and fix your living situation.

The carpet has to go. Then, go to the nearest Ikea and buy a new bed frame, nightstand, a small storage unit, a laundry hamper, a new desk chair, and some curtains. Oh, and a pack of hangers and one of these to store you clothes on:

Then just scrub everything down, particularly the media center. That and the console setup seem totally serviceable, but incredibly dusty. You're literally a few hundred dollars and a day of cleaning away from having a cozy little one room setup.

OR
He can put the Vive on and everything goes away.

viveks86

Wait it's past 5 am?! What. The. Fuck. And I haven't even played new games. Went to robot repair again and played windlands. For 3 hours!!!! I'm starting to see the chaperone grid in real life. Time to hit the bed. I think I'm gonna wake up in pain.

They need to bring some steam controller options to the touchpad on the vive. Windlands, for instance, badly needs "requires click" for movement.

Totally agree. A lot of games could use some configurability.

Man I'm shocked at how good windlands feels with the motion controls.

Seiru

Banned
This is probably a pretty common concern, but...should I order this even if I don't have a lot of space? The most space I can make right now is about 9.5ft by 5 ft. Is that enough, or will it feel like crap? I already have a Rift coming this month, but these controllers....

This is probably a pretty common concern, but...should I order this even if I don't have a lot of space? The most space I can make right now is about 9.5ft by 5 ft. Is that enough, or will it feel like crap? I already have a Rift coming this month, but these controllers....

I just got mine setup last night. I'll type my impressions as soon as I get 15 minutes. My space is 10x6. Feels like the absolute min. I'd say if you can somehow stretch that 5ft to 6ft you will be ok.

I haven't really thought too much about how I'm going to set things up when it arrives, but now that it's shipped I realise that I probably should.
I'm going to have the bare minimum space of 1.5m by about 2.5m. How do games orient the space relative to you, is it based on where you're face when it starts or can you manually orient it?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

its enough - the stated minimum is about 6.5ft x 5ft so you have slightly more width which will be good when aiming left/right. Even better if you have low furniture your arms can go over - like a bed or sofa.

Eh, the use is in keeping the mob from self imploding on the situation. Days of silence creates a far worse wave of impatience from what I've seen in past launches.
I don't exactly expect her to have earth shattering information and tracking numbers for each order number tweeted to her. Maybe a map of shipping times across the world?

Zalusithix

I can't stop thinking about Hover Junkers. I want to be playing it right now!!!! ;-;

Have you tried flipping what controller is in a given hand after starting the game up? As in hold what is supposed to be the right hand controller in your left hand and vice versa. Should theoretically not impact your ability to play, but it should have some... interesting effects on the IK for everybody that sees you lol.

Compsiox

Banned
Have you tried flipping what controller is in a given hand after starting the game up? As in hold what is supposed to be the right hand controller in your left hand and vice versa. Should theoretically not impact your ability to play, but it should have some... interesting effects on the IK for everybody that sees you lol.

No one would be paying attention to it to be honest. If everyone gets into it as much as me then they're only worried about living through a duel.

Krejlooc

Banned
I had people over till 3 am trying this out. Its 8 am now and people are already hitting me up to see if they can come over

dumbo

EU shipping with CC happening as i type this
Only xx:00 to xx:04 so far
How do i check my time? Hotmail/Outlook only shows me the date

View the message source if you can. Note that the time shown is the time that hotmail accepted the email, which may differ from the time the order was placed.

In terms of the :24, the digital river servers were not synced to an NTP server - they seem to have been 30-40 minutes out. Note that the DR servers also don't seem to have been synced with each other.

It's impressive that Digital River managed to mess things up this badly.

View the message source if you can. Note that the time shown is the time that hotmail accepted the email, which may differ from the time the order was placed.

In terms of the :24, the digital river servers were not synced to an NTP server - they seem to have been 30-40 minutes out. Note that the servers also don't seem to have been synced with each other.

It's impressive that Digital River managed to mess things up this badly.

Oh:It's not that impressive they have an excellent track record

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Woo, was finally able to confirm my bank account with PayPal. Unless the MS guy gives me some sort of estimate today after he checks in at the store, I'll likely preorder online tomorrow.

If he does email me today I'll post what he says. Hopefully he's able to get some concrete details on when the MS stores expect to get the Vive.

Zalusithix

Yeah! We should make a May-shipping(hopefully) support group!

I look at it this way: By the time May rolls around HTC should (hopefully) have the kinks worked out with the billing and shipping. These first wavers have already lost a month of their life from dealing with the stress. ;)

Woo, was finally able to confirm my bank account with PayPal. Unless the MS guy gives me some sort of estimate today after he checks in at the store, I'll likely preorder online tomorrow.

If he does email me today I'll post what he says. Hopefully he's able to get some concrete details on when the MS stores expect to get the Vive.

did you already see this?
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/HTV-Vive/productID.855405500?icid=en_US_FY16_homepage_hero_2_Vive_160406

says june but you never, i signed up anyways.

Yoritomo

Has anyone with a 970 tried theBlu by any chance? Really need to know how it would run on my rig before purchasing

I've got my 970 overclocked slightly with a 2500k at 4.7 ghz and it runs fine.

My biggest issue was having the base stations too far apart which was causing glitching that also seemed to affect framerate. I think the Reef experience of theBlu is the hardest and does have a noticeable amount of small framerate stutter but not enough to ruin the experience, but enough to prevent me from just getting a chair out and sitting in the reef world (which could be fun) and hanging out for pleasure.

I'd buy it again. But I've spent about 250 on VR games in the last 2 days, so I'm not a good example of restraint.

Bringing up the steam interface while a game is running or downloading another steam game in the background seemed to cause more issues. Loading games can cause tracking glitches. But every game I've tried so far has worked just fine, and nothing has had me diving for my wallet to upgrade prior to my planned VR build when pascal hits.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Sure didn't, thanks for the link. The guy also mentioned the possibility of them getting a demo unit at the store. Hopefully they get one and I can try it out. It would be an hour drive for me, though. I guess I'll preorder online tomorrow.

wait? you can preorder online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom