• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

libertytoast

Neo Member
I'm officially in the second stage of grief. At first I was in denial. "Surely my pre-order isn't effected by all these CC issues."

Now I'm just pissed. It's not so much that I haven't gotten it yet, but that HTC hasn't said thing one about all this. They offered up a press release when the denied charges happened, but now, nothing.

Cimarron

What's the SDE like dude?

Much better than the dk2?

MUCH better! You barely notice it at first and then it goes away. I only really notice it when I use Steams desktop app.

Also are we going to have a VR "Modding" topic? I am asking this because I swore that someone posted that there are already layers in the wild and had a link and I can not find it in this massive thread. Maybe if interesting mods or layers that allow Vive/Rift crossplay we could post in in the first post of this thread?

After my first day with the Vive, the camera seems VITAL for room scale. Even if the Rift can theoretically do it, Oculus clearly wasn't designing the headset around room scale.

Yoritomo

What's the SDE like dude?

Much better than the dk2?

I immediately lost track of the SDE, but I do feel a bit near sighted in the Vive. Resolution is the most immediately noticeable area where it can improve. A lot of the enemy detail is gone in space pirate trainer when they appear at their "far" distance. Strong AA seems to help. theBlu seems really clear.

Dunno man, your brain does a lot of adjusting, but resolution could definitely improve. It's good enough to lose yourself and not cause me a headache and I get motion sick easily.

dsk1210

Thanks for the replys guys.

Another quick question, on the apps/games that you have been using, have you been able to downsample?

I have been using the oculus store on my dk2 and a lot of games and apps don't seem to alow me to downsample, which combined with the dk2 res makes for a pretty jaggy image.

I immediately lost track of the SDE, but I do feel a bit near sighted in the Vive. Resolution is the most immediately noticeable area where it can improve. A lot of the enemy detail is gone in space pirate trainer when they appear at their "far" distance. Strong AA seems to help. theBlu seems really clear.

Dunno man, your brain does a lot of adjusting, but resolution could definitely improve. It's good enough to lose yourself and not cause me a headache and I get motion sick easily.

Well we dont have 4k videocards to push that yet. Maybe by the next round of headsets we will be there.

ksZxYE6.png

Someday I'll get my Vive...someday.

Jams775

It makes you wonder. How long has HTC been at this? Longer than oculus? Oculus seemed always focusing on the headset.

It's funny because I remember laughing when they said they had a surprise breakthrough with their Vive and then announced it was just a camera. It sounded kind of useless and their explanation of chaperone didn't make sense. Now it seems like it is absolutely vital to what VR is going to be.

jaaz

Anyone try the Vive with reading glasses? Does it work well?

I am a bit nearsighted and suspect I will need to wear my glasses to use it.

Durante

It makes you wonder. How long has HTC been at this? Longer than oculus? Oculus seemed always focusing on the headset.
HTC hasn't been at this for too long.

However, Valve has been at this for a long time, and they have worked towards releasing a consumer product with tracked controllers and room-scale gameplay capabilities for quite a while now.

I think the design of the headset itself (e.g. vertical FoV, camera) and the tracking solution both reflect that clearly defined goal.

Anyone try the Vive with reading glasses? Does it work well?

I am a bit nearsighted and suspect I will need to wear my glasses to use it.

Farsighted should be ok, nearsighted should need glasses. Aren't most reading glasses for farsighted people though? I'm nearsighed. I actually either remove or look above my glasses when reading.

jaaz

Farsighted should be ok, nearsighted should need glasses. Aren't most reading glasses for farsighted people though? I'm nearsighed. I actually either remove or look above my glasses when reading.

Oops, meant I'm farsighted. Sorry, I'm new at having bad vision. :)

I look at it this way: By the time May rolls around HTC should (hopefully) have the kinks worked out with the billing and shipping. These first wavers have already lost a month of their life from dealing with the stress. ;)

Yeah I don't mind waiting a bit. Hopefully kinks are worked out and maybe get an uptick in shipping before may.

Are orders processed and shipped in the order received?
We have a first in, first out policy for Vive order fulfillment. There were a small number of orders at the beginning of April that were processed out of sequential order. However, we have corrected the situation and all future shipments will be sent in the order in which they were received.

Uh huh. The west coast was a small number? I refuse to believe that, but at least they're communicating.

Zalusithix

HTC hasn't been at this for too long.

However, Valve has been at this for a long time, and they have worked towards releasing a consumer product with tracked controllers and room-scale gameplay capabilities for quite a while now.

I think the design of the headset itself (e.g. vertical FoV, camera) and the tracking solution both reflect that clearly defined goal.

I'd imagine HTC's contribution to this generation is pretty much limited to mechanical hardware design, component selection, and EE work. Pretty much everything conceptual was Valve.

The real question is how closely they're working together now to advance the next generation. With a large hardware-centric partner, Valve should be able to prototype and test new ideas and technology far faster than they were capable of before. The same goes for Oculus. With a large budget for R&D, they can go further than they could so late into the first gen.

The second gen sets should be interesting.

I know archery mini-games are already abundant for the Vive, but god damn is the archery demo in The Lab fun. I would love a full game built around that, like Lord of the Rings or something.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Its very hard to believe that my order placed at :02 has not been sequentially shipped yet, unless they sold a buttload more than originally thought.

Samaritan

I was pretty late placing a pre-order, so I'm in the nebulous "May" shipping period. So while I wait for my Vive to show up, I've been absorbing as much info from early adopters as I can.

Something I'm curious about, as I basically have two different rooms I can convert into a VR space, are floor surfaces. What are people preferring? Hard floors like wood or tile, or carpet? Carpet seems like it would be distracting since most games seem to take place on harder surfaces, but I'm curious to hear what you guys think.

Durante

Its very hard to believe that my order placed at :02 has not been sequentially shipped yet, unless they sold a buttload more than originally thought.
My order confirmed at 09 was shipped (but later than earlier people in the same country). I would guess that the most likely scenario is that the orders which go on the same truck (metaphorically at least) are shipped sequentially, but that doesn't mean that there is an absolute sequential order across different countries/areas.

I was pretty late placing a pre-order, so I'm in the nebulous "May" shipping period. So while I wait for my Vive to show up, I've been absorbing as much info from early adopters as I can.

Something I'm curious about, as I basically have two different rooms I can convert into a VR space, are floor surfaces. What are people preferring? Hard floors like wood or tile, or carpet? Carpet seems like it would be distracting since most games seem to take place on harder surfaces, but I'm curious to hear what you guys think.

If I had a choice I would definitely do carpet. That way crawling around won't be so painful. I'll probably have to play on hardwood, but I do have an empty game room (for pinball machines, eventually) that I might use in the meantime.

TFlat

Did everyone else who has received their Vive get the email with the codes for the 3 free games? Still waiting over here...

asker

I like the option to duplicate audio across multiple hardware devices,

Can you elaborate on this feature and maybe provide a screenshot of the interface? How many hardware devices can it duplicate over, and are there any limitations?

Alright so I got it setup late last night and got about 1.5 hours of play time. The box was quite nice. Setup was not smooth, had to reboot my pc in desperation of the base stations not seeing the headset, update firmware on the controllers, etc.. Finally got it working.

Hardware impressions:
-Build: Love the lighthouses. Headset is kinda meh. Feels a bit like a dev kit.
-SDE: Much improved over DK2. Didn't really notice it or bother me, but you can see it if you look for it.
-FOV: I have not yet adjusted distance(seems like a pain), but at default I was a little let down to be honest. Gen2 headsets need to fix this.
-IPD: Couldn't find a measuring tool. I played around with it and the best for me was Near the min. 61? Gonna play with this more tonight.
-GodRays: Yes they are there and quite annoying. But 95% of the time they are not there so it's not a big deal to me.
-Roomscale: Very awesome but my 10ft by 6ft space felt constrictive. Really wish I had more room. The big surprise for me was the the cord wasn't a big deal after getting used to it. It started to become second nature. I thought it would be a problem. It wasn't for me so far.
-Tracking: Unlike most reports I have heard I did have 2-3 brief tracking issues over the course of the session. Luckily it didn't last long so I never got nauseous. Otherwise it was really solid. The controller tracking is very impressive.
-Controllers: Awesome. I wish there were a bit smaller and lighter but I really like them.
-SteamVR: Buggy. Not intuitive. Feels like an alpha.
-Headphones: Was very happy to see a short cord. But it was still a pain and the quality sucked so I won't use it.
-Comfort: This was probably my biggest concern. I am going to play around with adjustments to see if I can get it to feel better, but after an hour of use, I was very conscious of it on my face. I was starting to feel fatigued. It was not comfortable. This was the biggest problem with the DK2. I really hope the rift is better here. Or my VR experiences will have to be limited.

Overall the thing is a bit rough around the edges. I wouldnt recommend it to everybody just yet. But the experiences it can produce made me emotional. More on that later when I get time. But in short buy the Blu! Worked fine on my overclocked 780ti.

Did everyone else who has received their Vive get the email with the codes for the 3 free games? Still waiting over here...

You'd think they'd email them to you once it had shipped so you could have them downloaded and ready to go. Common sense seems to be lacking with these releases.

Samaritan

If I had a choice I would definitely do carpet. That way crawling around won't be so painful. I'll probably have to play on hardwood, but I do have an empty game room (for pinball machines, eventually) that I might use in the meantime.

Hadn't even thought of crawling around, that's a very good point! It would be very uncomfortable to crawl around on the hard wood floors I would be using.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Hadn't even thought of crawling around, that's a very good point! It would be very uncomfortable to crawl around on the hard wood floors I would be using.

Hardwood floors have the added benefit of not looking like ass though, so there's that.

Go with hardwood floors, that way, when the VR craze is over, you don't have to refurnish the room. Wall-to-wall carpet is garbage everywhere except for the bedroom.

It should be to you within 24 hours to the same email address that you received your shipping info from HTC. In gmail it went to a separate folder under promotions.

Your Vive PreOrder Bundle Code

is the topic in the email.

datamage

So how long till someone makes a boxing game in VR?

So many possibilities... I haven't been this excited for new tech in a long time.

Krejlooc

Banned
Can you elaborate on this feature and maybe provide a screenshot of the interface? How many hardware devices can it duplicate over, and are there any limitations?

Just from one device to another, and only in steamvr. No restrictions from what ive seen. I duplicated my hdmi output on my video card with an external skullcandy usb soundcard, for example.

I hope this becomes a full feature of steam because this is so useful. Lagfree audio duplication between various hardware.

Just get a green carpet and you're good to go!

sorry green carpet dude, I think it's bad you have been publicly shamed. I had a room like yours once.

I had a room like his once too; it lasted about a day after I moved in. The room isn't irredeemable, it just needs some cleaning and a few tasteful furniture replacements.

Woke up this morning to an empty inbox. The VR withdrawal is real, I can't even get my Rift.

Just above your post.

Wrong link initially, figure I just group all three in a new one.

Yeah it made more sense when you posted all three together, I didn't even think to see if that same guy had other videos. Man, I'm not good at waiting. I keep checking EBay to hope and see a "reasonably priced" one at $1100. I got issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom