• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, it sounds to me like there is a loose or faulty connection somewhere where the cables seat to the headset. I think you may just need to have it RMA'd to get it replaced. Maybe you can get lucky and have them fast track you one. I know that sucks but it had to happen to one of us... :/

The only other thing I would say to do if you want to take the time would be to take your Vive to a friend who has a computer capable of running it and see if it's not your usb ports or something. If it works at your friends house then though it would be a pain, take your rig over there and hook your vive up and try it. If it works there then you know it is your room or something. If it doesn't then you know it is your PC.

IMACOMPUTA

Silly question, but I assume you've tried it with the overhead light off before?

Yes, I have.

I mean, it sounds to me like there is a loose or faulty connection somewhere where the cables seat to the headset. I think you may just need to have it RMA'd to get it replaced. Maybe you can get lucky and have them fast track you one. I know that sucks but it had to happen to one of us... :/

The only other thing I would say to do if you want to take the time would be to take your Vive to a friend who has a computer capable of running it and see if it's not your usb ports or something. If it works at your friends house then though it would be a pain, take your rig over there and hook your vive up and try it. If it works there then you know it is your room or something. If it doesn't then you know it is your PC.

Yeah, I might have to do that.

I just don't understand why it works at night at my house on my computer.

IMACOMPUTA

You have anything in the house that might cause interference, that runs until later at night?

I've been trying to think, but can't come up with anything.
I do have a router right next to my PC that broadcasts wifi. I tried turning that off. I turned my phones off. I took pictures down, I covered my PC screen.

There's not anything else I can think of that would cause interference.

I just sent a huge detailed wall of text and pictures / system diagnostics to Steam support.
I have not had good experiences with Steam support.

spekkeh

Banned
Yet, this is what I get (until after 8pm for whatever reason the last 2 nights)
aaaaaaaaaaabwohp.png

I feel like I've tried everything. I just don't understand why it has worked eventually at night both nights i've had it.

I was hesitant to update the lighthouse firmware, but I finally just did that based on Compsiox's advice. Still having the same problem.
Why is only one of your lighthouse stations connected though? That doesn't make sense. Are they on b and c channels, and did you try connecting them with the sync cable?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It looks like the stations can't sync between them for whatever reason. Are both lighthouses green? One on b and one on c?

Is that projector in their direct line of sight?
The light from the projector? The light from the lamp?

Apparently I was having too much fun with Holopoint last night, as my SSD decided it was going to die. No warning; just restarted and "no install/drive detected". Nothing but gaming stuff on this system so nothing of consequence was lost beyond the time required to re-download some games and re-configure some applications, but how obnoxious. 4-month old SSD.

Feels worse since this was my first non-Intel SSD. A Sandisk. Won't make that mistake again. My Intel SSDs are still going strong after 5 years, while the Sandisk couldn't make it 5 months while under far less demand.

Yeah I tried that and it didn't help.

But again, like last night: unplugged everything, waited a couple hours, went back downstairs and it just worked.

The only thing I can think of is that I didn't bring my cellphones down there tonight or last night when it worked.
I turned them off today when I was down there. I wondered if Bluetooth was interfering with the headset. Dunno.

But
I've changed my mind about hoverjunkers. I think I was just too nervous and uncomfortable in VR at first. Tonight I just let loose and didn't think about hitting the walls or anything and had a blast. The uzi is gonna rule when it's fully put in the game.

I had some people over and job sim/Brookhaven experiment/the lab archery were big hits with everyone. It was a lot of fun blowing everyone's mind.

And when you connect with the cord you have it on channel A and B right not B and C correct?

I've been trying to think, but can't come up with anything.
I do have a router right next to my PC that broadcasts wifi. I tried turning that off. I turned my phones off. I took pictures down, I covered my PC screen.

There's not anything else I can think of that would cause interference.

I just sent a huge detailed wall of text and pictures / system diagnostics to Steam support.
I have not had good experiences with Steam support.

Since I didn't see a reply yesterday, did you peel the film off the lighthouses?

Aisen

Neo Member
Finally got to play with the Vive a few times this week. Room scale VR blew me away. I've been using VR since DK1 but nothing felt as good as moving around in the Vive. The controllers were amazingly responsive and the optics were great. I've used the Rift CV1 but it was more of a demo situation but I think I am more impressed by the Vive at this point. Steam integration is great. Can't wait to get my own set and start messing around in Unity.

IMACOMPUTA

Why is only one of your lighthouse stations connected though? That doesn't make sense. Are they on b and c channels, and did you try connecting them with the sync cable?

Yes I've tried with sync cable and without. I've made sure to have it on a and b with sync cable or b and c with optical sync.

The lighthouses "connect" by the headset seeing them. And thats the issue I'm having. That's why only one is "connected".

Although, even in instances where both of the base stations are solid green, I still don't get a solid green headset icon.
It looks like the stations can't sync between them for whatever reason. Are both lighthouses green? One on b and one on c?

Is that projector in their direct line of sight?
The light from the projector? The light from the lamp?

Yes the lights on the basestations are green. The projector has been off (need a new bulb).
I tried with the lights off in the basement and it didn't help.

Evo X

Just tried 3 songs in Audioshield for the first time.

Holy shit, I'm pumped!

I'm gonna lose countless hours of my life to this game, aren't I?

I wasn't expecting The Foo Show to be that interesting in-hmd but ended up really enjoying it, being able to grab objects others were holding really added a passive layer of participation to the format. Was frequently weirded out by the proximity of their avatars, wish they'd upload the recording of the Giant Bomb one, I need to witness Will's ava falling to pieces XD

Hopefully they can do semi regular output but understand it takes time with needing to get assets together from devs. Have they said what the frequency of new content will be, or what the next episode's gamespace will be? I'd love to see this kind of podcasting bleed over into things like The Nerdist, imagine shooting the shit with Patrick Stewart aboard the Enterprise, or really any actor, comic, creative type in various IP spaces. Could be really cool.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Also, I've gotten a firmware update every day for the last 4 days for the headset.

Is that normal?

I didn't get any firmware update for the headset yet. Only for the controllers.

Does that firmware update install properly?

Edit: Have you checked if the USB cable is properly plugged in the HMD, break-out box and computer. Or if you have some kind of resource issues on the USB? (if you have many devices plugged in on USB in the computer).

I am sure you know this but make sure you are in virtual desktop viewing this or in the VR valve browser viewing this or it will just be on your monitor.

Well I tried just mirroring the screens but then the Vive was impossible to use, then I thought I'll use VD, for 1 minute I was thinking wtf mind....ha

Shoyz

Is there any screws on the Vive controllers to tighten or something?

The right squeeze on my left controller makes a grindy plastic creaking noise whenever I press it, unlike the left, and either squeeze on the right controller which are quiet clicks. Kind of frustrating because it's the only one I normally use.

Why would GameStop care about the Vive. Seems like a waste of time as the software is digital. Besides assesories is there really any money to be made

Lurch666

I wasn't expecting The Foo Show to be that interesting in-hmd but ended up really enjoying it, being able to grab objects others were holding really added a passive layer of participation to the format. Was frequently weirded out by the proximity of their avatars, wish they'd upload the recording of the Giant Bomb one, I need to witness Will's ava falling to pieces XD

Hopefully they can do semi regular output but understand it takes time with needing to get assets together from devs. Have they said what the frequency of new content will be, or what the next episode's gamespace will be? I'd love to see this kind of podcasting bleed over into things like The Nerdist, imagine shooting the shit with Patrick Stewart aboard the Enterprise, or really any actor, comic, creative type in various IP spaces. Could be really cool.
I was pleasantly surprised by this as well.It's like getting involved with a youtube video.Looking forward to more content like this.

Why would GameStop care about the Vive. Seems like a waste of time as the software is digital. Besides assesories is there really any money to be made

I don't know and I'm not going to question it lol. It does assuage one of my biggest fears that the casual gaming populous' first VR experience would be something sub par in just seated instead of roomscale. this is great news for what people expect out of VR and first impressions are everything. Heck just the ability to experience roomscale at all is a good thing because it would have been tough to find a way before. Call me a fanboy but I think this sets a great tone for VR having roomscale be many peoples first experience.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
The $800 price will likely have the core GameStop audience trading in tons of stuff to get it.

But then again I don't see this selling to a lot of walk in customers.

Reddit has a few people claiming to have driven for 3+ hours just to try one out. I know most hardcore gamers don't shop at GameStop, so from a business perspective why the heck not run a demo that draws in gamers of all kinds? It probably doesn't cost them a dime with HTC supplying the hardware to demo. HTC benefits from people trying it, GameStop benefits with foot traffic. Win win, or worst case win draw

I tried with lights off and there's only one window and it's in the picture... Covered by pillows.

You know what it probably is? Skynet sensing a new tool it can use. It's bugging your system. That would explain the terminator creepin through your wall to retrieve the device. You do know about the terminator creepin through your wall right?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Before I start, does anyone have tips for how to wear the headset? I'm getting like friction pain on my face and I think potentially from wearing it too tight. Is there any documentation on the proper way to wear and configure the headset?

Windlands is incredible. The feeling you get once you learn to effectively swing is positively exhilarating.

There were several times playing yesterday where I missed a jump, then without looking aimed my controller backwards, hooked onto a tree, and it started pulling me backwards, and I could feel the momentum shift in my stomach. It's so god damn cool.

Audio Shield is just an absolute blast. When you get a song that fits well with the algorithms style of pattern recognition, you just feel completely at one with the music. I love it.

Demoing Tilt Brush was the most awe inspiring one for the people I showed. Everyone who did it was just dumbfounded by the prospect. "I just drew a cube. I didn't draw a square. Or a 2D perspective drawing of a cube. Just a cube." I also did the trick of putting a chair in the play space, tracing it with the wand, then having my sister turn around, see the chair, and sit in it. She was SO hesitant but said it felt crazy to have this virtual furniture she was using.

Before I start, does anyone have tips for how to wear the headset? I'm getting like friction pain on my face and I think potentially from wearing it too tight. Is there any documentation on the proper way to wear and configure the headset?

Windlands is incredible. The feeling you get once you learn to effectively swing is positively exhilarating.

There were several times playing yesterday where I missed a jump, then without looking aimed my controller backwards, hooked onto a tree, and it started pulling me backwards, and I could feel the momentum shift in my stomach. It's so god damn cool.

Audio Shield is just an absolute blast. When you get a song that fits well with the algorithms style of pattern recognition, you just feel completely at one with the music. I love it.

Demoing Tilt Brush was the most awe inspiring one for the people I showed. Everyone who did it was just dumbfounded by the prospect. "I just drew a cube. I didn't draw a square. Or a 2D perspective drawing of a cube. Just a cube." I also did the trick of putting a chair in the play space, tracing it with the wand, then having my sister turn around, see the chair, and sit in it. She was SO hesitant but said it felt crazy to have this virtual furniture she was using.

Might want to look into getting some of these.

https://vrcover.com/shop/

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
I hope the VR devs aren't hurting by having so few units delivered. The steam spy numbers seem abysmal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom