• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCrow

I thought I would just jump into Audioshield for a song or too.

latest

naga-song3.gif

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just make sure to choose the set of corners that isn't by a door.

If I do that then it means my back is towards the closest lighthouse when I'm sitting down. Makes me wonder if I need to turn my desk 90 degrees. Or I could just turn my chair 90 degrees :)

Does steamVR fix your 'forward position' so it's the same for both sitting and standing, or can you define them separately?

Absolutely. The core gameplay already feels really polished.
I admittedly haven't used my Rift for more than an hour after getting the Vive, but I do feel a lot of hassle using it -- or at least something like "hassle": the fear of leaving the camera cone and losing tracking. It's insanely liberating for me (especially after a lot of time with DK2) to never have to worry about that (I never lost Vive HMD tracking in my entire 3.4x2.8 play area, even when crouching etc),

Yeah, the UX is amazing for what's supposed to be a pre-alpha demo.

I can't say I've noticed any tracking issues. The setup made it look like the tracked area was pretty tiny, and obviously no game asks you moved much away from that, but it's coped fine when I've had to move to pick something up or whatever.

bj00rn_

Banned
Most things I've tried don't have settings, but last night I played Eve Valkyrie on ultra with an overclocked 970 and it ran fine.

On the Vive..? Is that possible now?

Anyway, been impatiently waiting for my Vive for the last couple of weeks, but now DHL tells me I'm receiving it on wednesday - One day after I fly out of the country for eight days.. It'll be a slow trip back.. lol

On the Vive..? Is that possible now?

Anyway, been impatiently waiting for my Vive for the last couple of weeks, but now DHL tells me I'm receiving it on wednesday - One day after I fly out of the country for eight days.. It'll be a slow trip back.. lol
No, I mean on rift. Just saying that if it can do something like that on ultra, the 970 should be fine with higher than minimum settings in most things that have settings.

From what I've seen so far with the black on white lense flare, it doesn't seem that bad to me, can make it look a bit more cinematic! Ha

Also it's been 3 days since it shipped, shouldn't HTC have taken the money by now? It's hasnt even been taken as a pre-auth.

Durante

That fear is overblown. Ok, it's not - but given that most of the Rift experiences are seating/standing experiences, in practice it shouldn't effect you at all. Except when attempting to explore a environment in roomscale... but then that's not the intent of most Rift experiences right now.
Well, whether or not it's the intent, after getting used to it it's what I naturally try to do.
In fact, that's not really true. It was already what I naturally tried to do before it even worked! (e.g. in The Witness playing on DK2)

I just wish that I could use the Rift with the Vive controllers now. D:
Some people say this but I really don't agree. The Vive optics are preferable to me and it's much easier to wear with glasses.

I can't say I've noticed any tracking issues. The setup made it look like the tracked area was pretty tiny, and obviously no game asks you moved much away from that, but it's coped fine when I've had to move to pick something up or whatever.
Well, I noticed tracking issues within the very first quarter of an hour playing Farlands. (After turning away ~90° and leaning over)

Got my Vive but one controller won't sync and the troubleshooting guide says to go into steam VR settings except I can't find it. Where is it? Thank you for the help

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Got my Vive but one controller won't sync and the troubleshooting guide says to go into steam VR settings except I can't find it. Where is it? Thank you for the help

As a tip, in SteamVR settings from the desktop you can change what audio device it should change to when you use SteamVR and which one to set it to when you're done. Really useful in this scenario.

*Edit* To make it more clear since it seems like some people don't know about this. To access SteamVR settings, first you launch SteamVR itself. Then in the pop-up box which appears which shows the headset/controller/lightouse indicators, you should be able to click "SteamVR" since it has a drop down. You access the SteamVR settings menu in there.

Sheytan

It would be cool if leap motion techology could be used in conjunction with the wand controllers.
Using the hands to interact with the world or unholster the wands from a holster belt when you need weapons or something like that.

I know that my English is somewhat bad

spekkeh

Banned
So am I the only one who thinks the cables for the Vive are kind of.. short?

I have a space set up of about I guess a little less than 3x2 meters, but walking away from the desk where my computer is located, I can't even comfortably reach the edge of my playground.

I have a space set up of about I guess a little less than 3x2 meters, but walking away from the desk where my computer is located, I can't even comfortably reach the edge of my playground.

How is that possible? I have a 2.5 X 3M space, I have tons of slack.

spekkeh

Banned
I guess the way I have set it up, the tripod with the lighthouse is in front of the desk and you need to go a bit further for the tracking to notice you, so I already lose a bit more than a meter, means I can only reach to some 2.8 meters further with no slack left.

jaypah

It would be cool if leap motion techology could be used in conjunction with the wand controllers.
Using the hands to interact with the world or unholster the wands from a holster belt when you need weapons or something like that.

I know that my English is somewhat bad

Yeah, that would be cool. Do the Vive controllers turn off if you have Leap Motion enabled? If not then maybe someone is working on something similar.

Also your English is just fine.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I guess the way I have set it up, the tripod with the lighthouse is in front of the desk and you need to go a bit further for the tracking to notice you, so I already lose a bit more than a meter, means I can only reach to some 2.8 meters further with no slack left.

Why don't you tilt the lighthouse more towards the ground. You shouldn't lose that much.

IMACOMPUTA

I had a ton of problems last week when I installed the HTC software and bound my phone to the headset. Ended up uninstalling all of that.
I never set up the phone stuff, but I have the HTC software installed. I'll remove it. Dunno if that's the problem though.

I have a couple of spots in my room the lose tracking. I'm not really sure what I need to do to fix it....

How is that possible? I have a 2.5 X 3M space, I have tons of slack.

I have the same issue. If you are in a far corner and turn facing the box you need an extra couple of feet. 2.9*3.5 space.

So I had to contact online chat (reactive and helpfull btw) to inquire about my yet to be seen free games. If that's not yet another proof of logistic problems...

Soi-Fong

So I had to contact online chat (reactive and helpfull btw) to inquire about my yet to be seen free games. If that's not yet another proof of logistic problems...

This is so weird since I got my free Vive games almost immediately after I got the HTC shipping notification.

Thx guys. CHated with Karl and should get my codes within 24h.
This is so weird since I got my free Vive games almost immediately after I got the HTC shipping notification.
I know, but it seems that they are many in my situation.
Not a big deal since I haven't had the time to even unpack the Vive (T_T) and I have Hover Junkers and Vanishing realms waiting.

So I got everything hooked up, and my controllers aren't paired. I can't re-pair them because SteamVR wants me to do room setup first, which requires the controllers to be seen. Any tips? Both lighthouses are green and good to go.

Haint

Is there a mode that lets you see the bounds/laser grid to best aim the lighthouses? Like the DK2 camera grid.

kinggroin

Banned
So I got everything hooked up, and my controllers aren't paired. I can't re-pair them because SteamVR wants me to do room setup first, which requires the controllers to be seen. Any tips? Both lighthouses are green and good to go.

Literally unplug the power to the break out box, and plug it back it. Do this until the controllers are seen.

Also, you HAVE paired them right? When they turn on, the lights are green, not blue, correct?

kinggroin

Banned
They are blue. How do you do initial pairing?

Launch the steam VR panel, click the drop down at the top of the small window, navigate to...uh...devices, then pairing?

Look through there you'll see it. Make sure both controllers are off. It'll give you instructions on how to pair them.

Launch the steam VR panel, click the drop down at the top of the small window, navigate to...uh...devices, then pairing?

Look through there you'll see it. Make sure both controllers are off. It'll give you instructions on how to pair them.

But I can't get through to the main Steam VR stuff until the controllers pair and I do the room setup. It just says Please run Room Setup to being using SteamVR.

Nevermind, got it!

kinggroin

Banned
But I can't get through to the main Steam VR stuff until the controllers pair and I do the room setup. It just says Please run Room Setup to being using SteamVR.

You don't need to run SteamVR room setup to use the control panel.

I'm talking about the grey panel that indicates what devices are paired (via a green icon)

Edit: there ya go

Is there a mode that lets you see the bounds/laser grid to best aim the lighthouses? Like the DK2 camera grid.

I've seen it on SteamVR desktop settings. There's some setting for developers which gives you a top down view of the room and lighthouse fov/range. Poke around and you'll find it.

Arulan

If I do that then it means my back is towards the closest lighthouse when I'm sitting down. Makes me wonder if I need to turn my desk 90 degrees. Or I could just turn my chair 90 degrees :)

Does steamVR fix your 'forward position' so it's the same for both sitting and standing, or can you define them separately?

The reason for avoiding the door is due to the vibrations caused by opening and closing it. The door may also block its view when opened depending on its position relative to the corner.

You could always rearrange your whole room with VR in mind. ;)

Oh, and it's ideal to have the forward position away from breakout box, for cable reasons.

I haven't tried a seated experience yet, so I'm not sure how that works with respect to the orientation you set in room-scale.

deadfolk

Oh, and it's ideal to have the forward position away from breakout box, for cable reasons.

I haven't tried a seated experience yet, so I'm not sure how that works with respect to the orientation you set in room-scale.

I would be very interested to find out about this.

I know they shouldn't be used permanently, but as a temporary measure until I can properly mount the Lighthouse brackets, what were the sticky pads people were suggesting?

Edit: Nevermind, hit a thread of people on Reddit saying "Don't use the damn strips!" with enough horror stories.

IMACOMPUTA

Is sunlight a factor then?
You can rma it.

No, I'm in the basement and have pillows covering the windows.

Forgive the mess, I kind of just stuffed things anywhere to make a space when I was setting this up:

Here you can see the vive pointing right at the base station on the top left

This is a shot of the other base station

And a closer shot of it

Yet, this is what I get (until after 8pm for whatever reason the last 2 nights)
aaaaaaaaaaabwohp.png

I feel like I've tried everything. I just don't understand why it has worked eventually at night both nights i've had it.

I was hesitant to update the lighthouse firmware, but I finally just did that based on Compsiox's advice. Still having the same problem.

No, I'm in the basement and have pillows covering the windows.

Forgive the mess, I kind of just stuffed things anywhere to make a space when I was setting this up:

Here you can see the vive pointing right at the base station on the top left

This is a shot of the other base station

And a closer shot of it

Yet, this is what I get (until after 8pm for whatever reason the last 2 nights)
aaaaaaaaaaabwohp.png

I feel like I've tried everything. I just don't understand why it has worked eventually at night both nights i've had it.

I was hesitant to update the lighthouse firmware, but I finally just did that based on Compsiox's advice. Still having the same problem.

Silly question, but I assume you've tried it with the overhead light off before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom