• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

YuShtink

My Vive is finally shipped! Went out yesterday, estimated delivery Monday. Got plenty of games downloaded and ready to go:

Free stuff:

The Lab
Tilt Brush (got my steam codes)
Job Simulator (steam code)
Fantastic Contraption (steam code)
The Gallery (while not "free", I kickstarted back in 2013)
Elite: Dangerous (already owned)
Irrational Exuberance
BLARP (EDIT: forgot - this isn't actually free, but only $2.99)

Demos (all free):

Budget Cuts
Unseen Diplomacy
Jeeboman Demo
Cloudlands VR Minigolf Demo (will prob buy full game)
Realities.io
Skeet VR
Surgeon Simulator
The Cubicle
Pitch Hit Rampage
Ikea VR (lol)

What other games should I actually buy Day 1? Here's my tentative list:

Audioshield
Vanishing Realms
Cloudlands Minigolf
Space Pirate Trainer
Modbox

Might hold off on these for now and maybe get later once I tire of the other stuff:

Windlands?
Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades?
Final Approach?
Chunks?

Oh and I already have VR Desktop bought.

Any other suggestions?

Audioshield, man.

It's my new cardio workout. I've gotten emotional playing some songs in it. Yeah, I'll admit it. Mostly like "FUCK YES I AM AMAZING THIS FEELS AMAZING" when the algorithms just work perfectly with the track I'm playing.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
My Vive is finally shipped! Went out yesterday, estimated delivery Monday. Got plenty of games downloaded and ready to go:

Free stuff:

The Lab
Tilt Brush (got my steam codes)
Job Simulator (steam code)
Fantastic Contraption (steam code)
The Gallery (while not "free", I kickstarted back in 2013)
Elite: Dangerous (already owned)
Irrational Exuberance
BLARP

Demos (all free):

Budget Cuts
Unseen Diplomacy
Jeeboman Demo
Cloudlands VR Minigolf Demo (will prob buy full game)
Realities.io
Skeet VR
Surgeon Simulator
The Cubicle
Pitch Hit Rampage
Ikea VR (lol)

What other games should I actually buy Day 1? Here's my tentative list:

Audioshield
Vanishing Realms
Cloudlands Minigolf
Space Pirate Trainer
Modbox

Might hold off on these for now and maybe get later once I tire of the other stuff:

Windlands?
Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades?
Final Approach?
Chunks?

Oh and I already have VR Desktop bought.

Any other suggestions?

Audioshield seems like the VR game that will absolutely have the most legs for me. Windlands was probably the most "completely unlike any other game I've played" experience. It is a great example of presence, and motion controls working in tandem to allow you to do things never possible before.

BUY BLARP!

Tempted to post this every 100 posts.

I'll hop on the BLARP train. You convinced me, I got into it and kinda went "oh so its like a tech demo" but the more I played the more I really, really enjoyed it. There is a weirdly magical feeling to making the little balls zoom all around you and follow your wand. Like leading an orchestra or something.

Soi-Fong

I want to get The Gallery: Call of the Star Seed, but that price is putting me off. Especially it it's only episode 1. Anybody here play it? It'd have to be something special for me to buy it.

CaLe

Still waiting for my order coming in May... It feels so far away. Some of the comments I've read portray the rift as being lighter and more comfortable. I'm almost starting to doubt my pre-order.

Comfort and ease of use is a big thing for me as I have VERY limited free time. I want whatever time I spend with my headset to be as hassle free and comfortable as possible.

I want to get The Gallery: Call of the Star Seed, but that price is putting me off. Especially it it's only episode 1. Anybody here play it? It'd have to be something special for me to buy it.

I was in the same boat and I ended up buying it. Its probably the most impressive game I've played on the Vive so far. I ended up stopping and just looking around and admire the views instead of playing a couple of times.

As for other games...

Audioshield is downright my favorite game so far but I've also really enjoyed Final Approach as well. The latter is really benefiting from that price drop a little while back.

I'm not super hot on Space Pirate Trainer. It's an okay "VR demo" game but I rarely enjoy playing it myself. I might refund this one as I've rarely played it.

And now that Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is out, I might pick up that one as well.

Soi-Fong

I was in the same boat and I ended up buying it. Its probably the most impressive game I've played on the Vive so far. I ended up stopping and just looking around and admire the views instead of playing a couple of times.

As for other games...

Audioshield is downright my favorite game so far but I've also really enjoyed Final Approach as well. The latter is really benefiting from that price drop a little while back.

I'm not super hot on Space Pirate Trainer. It's an okay "VR demo" game but I rarely enjoy playing it myself. I might refund this one as I've rarely played it.

And now that Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is out, I might pick up that one as well.

If I may ask, what's impressive about it? The length, it's "VR-ness", story or what?

As for Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, amazing game, but I think it's really best on the Gear VR as it's just a cinch to run on the phone.

I bought a $100 Steam Card from the BST, but I realized that with my boss' steam dev repository I already have some of the games like Audioshield and I don't see the point really in re-buying them for my personal Steam acct.

The ones like The Gallery and Vanishing Realms I'll buy on my personal Steam acct then!

If I may ask, what's impressive about it? The length, it's "VR-ness", story or what?

As for Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, amazing game, but I think it's really best on the Gear VR as it's just a cinch to run on the phone.

I bought a $100 Steam Card from the BST, but I realized that with my boss' steam dev repository I already have some of the games like Audioshield and I don't see the point really in re-buying them for my personal Steam acct.

The ones like The Gallery and Vanishing Realms I'll buy on my personal Steam acct then!

So here are the things I've noticed with the game that I liked:

*Really good voice acting
*Interesting start to a story
*Graphically, its probably one of the nicest looking games so far
*The VR-ness is probably the thing I appreciated the most. Examples:
-When I had to get on my hands and knees to get inside a tent to grab a lantern before exploring a cave
-When I had to jump in real life to grab an item that was just out of my hands' reach.
-Stowing away important items in your backpack by putting your hand behind your back and pulling the trigger.
-Pulling out your backpack (which opens a menu essentially), grab items and put the backpack back by putting your on your back again.
-Finding light sticks in the cavern and shaking your Vive controller to make it light up.

I've heard the game is short...so I haven't quite figured out whether its worth 30 dollars OR whether I will buy the other episodes yet. But it seems like the most "traditional game"-y game on the Vive that also utilizes the new functionalities available with motion tracking and VR.

Bruno

Still waiting for my order coming in May... It feels so far away. Some of the comments I've read portray the rift as being lighter and more comfortable. I'm almost starting to doubt my pre-order.

Comfort and ease of use is a big thing for me as I have VERY limited free time. I want whatever time I spend with my headset to be as hassle free and comfortable as possible.

As others have said it's not "rift is comfortable, vive is uncomfortable". They are both comfortable and fine for extended sessions but when comparing them the rift has a slight advantage (unless you wear glasses). Overall I feel like the pros of the Vive HEAVILY outweigh the cons and I'm really excited for mine to arrive.

IMACOMPUTA

As others have said it's not "rift is comfortable, vive is uncomfortable". They are both comfortable and fine for extended sessions but when comparing them the rift has a slight advantage (unless you wear glasses). Overall I feel like the pros of the Vive HEAVILY outweigh the cons and I'm really excited for mine to arrive.

I never have felt like the headset was uncomfortable or heavy and I have a big head. Its a non issue.

I'm waiting for more arcade like games like audioshield and blarp..a lot of titles are shooter mechanics but I want to see more originally stuff... I will happen but that's what I am enjoying the most so far.

Compsiox

Banned
How was the klepto demo? I downloaded it earlier but was waiting for my gremlin vive to work and now I'm not home.

It was very clunky and made me nauseous. I'm running a 980ti that shouldn't be, could have been the horrible movement.

With motion controllers it wasn't 1:1 movement.

With an Xbox One controller it was still very clunky.

They have a great idea but this scared me away. I hope they fix that shit fast.

Guys.

I can't stop.

I'm stuck.

Space Pirate Trainer is THE SHIT. HOLY SHIT.
Vanishing Realms is a game I could play forever. When I fought three enemies, and killed one enemy by swinging behind my back when I heard him roaring while I blocked the attack coming from in front of me? I creamed. Hard.

Hover Junkers is amazing. Finally a game where me being a pretty good shot in real life helps me in a game, even if only a smidge.

Everything else. EVERYTHING ELSE.

Since my Vive arrived, the only things I've done is play VR, and wait to play in VR.

Windlands is DEFINITELY NOT a good first VR game. Takes some good ol' DK2 era "VR legs". Definitely not a first game to try. TBH though with how amazingly comfortable other Vive games are, I don't know if they'll help in getting used to the shit in Windlands like other DK2 games were.

I wouldn't say the difference is slight - I find the Rift significantly more comfortable and less fiddly to put on and off, and once it's on there's far less need for ongoing adjustment to maintain the sweet spot. But Vive isn't bad, just "acceptable" versus "good".

I really need to play Dark Souls 3 to avoid falling behind my friends but the lure of VR is too strong.

Soi-Fong

Guys.

I can't stop.

I'm stuck.

Space Pirate Trainer is THE SHIT. HOLY SHIT.
Vanishing Realms is a game I could play forever. When I fought three enemies, and killed one enemy by swinging behind my back when I heard him roaring while I blocked the attack coming from in front of me? I creamed. Hard.

Hover Junkers is amazing. Finally a game where me being a pretty good shot in real life helps me in a game, even if only a smidge.

Everything else. EVERYTHING ELSE.

Since my Vive arrived, the only things I've done is play VR, and wait to play in VR.

I've been doing the Insanity workout program for a month now and it's helped me a lot in Hover Junkers. Not skipping on leg day is certainly helping me a lot. :p

I've been doing the Insanity workout program for a month now and it's helped me a lot in Hover Junkers. Not skipping on leg day is certainly helping me a lot. :p

I must be in better shape than I thought, because I've been playing literally non stop and barely have any level of soreness haha. And SPT is my most played game so far (Got to like wave 15 before I even got hit earlier, then I got cocky lol).

Also I'm in the military so I get both benefits of fitness and aiming!

Soi-Fong

I must be in better shape than I thought, because I've been playing literally non stop and barely have any level of soreness haha. And SPT is my most played game so far (Got to like wave 15 before I even got hit earlier, then I got cocky lol).

Also I'm in the military so I get both benefits of fitness and aiming!

Clearly being active, while not a necessity of this game is better to have! :)

Space Pirate Trainer makes me feel like Bayonetta when I'm dodging blasts and using dual machine pistols to take out baddies.

I will admit to dancing between rounds.

Soi-Fong

I'm still looking forward to the Rift, but goddamn last time I tried it, it was fucking horrible with glasses.

I'm still looking forward to the Rift, but goddamn last time I tried it, it was fucking horrible with glasses.
I feel for anyone who had to use glasses with VR, even with the Vive it seems like it'd be such a pain in the ass to put it on and take it off and get the right fit so you keep the sweet spot.

Soi-Fong

I feel for anyone who had to use glasses with VR, even with the Vive it seems like it'd be such a pain in the ass to put it on and take it off and get the right fit so you keep the sweet spot.

Actually, playing with glasses isn't so bad in VR. This is just another reason why I lean towards the Vive since my glasses actually fit and don't hit the lenses yet, I still keep a wide FOV.

It's inconsequential with the Vive. Only change is that instead of putting strap on the back of my head and pulling the headset down on my face, I pull the headset on my face and then pull the strap down. IMO it's even better than the DK2's seperate lenses because I don't have to worry about swapping them out between users.

IMACOMPUTA

For anyone that cares, it's night time and my Vive is working.

I saved another system diag in hopes to find something different between the working and non-working state.

viveks86

Finally spent some time with SPT today.

Damnnnn

Dayummmmm. If this were a full featured game with tons of game modes and enemy types I'd never leave VR. And still manage to stay in shape!

Dodging lasers, using shield as an offensive strategy, dual wielding... this is a dream come true!!!

Also, seems the recent update has a "better" visual option for 980 and higher cards. And hitting escape allows us to supersample and adjust world scale as well. Love it!

Now add sli support please?

Evo X

Just spent a few hours playing a ton of stuff including budget cuts, tilt brush, and realities. Unbelievable. I can't get enough of this. Just blew my expectations away. VR, and especially the millimeter accurate tracking of the Vive, is one of the biggest paradigm shifts in technology I have ever experienced.

viveks86

Good visuals, good voice acting and sound, fantastic mechanics, intriguing story, great exploration and atmosphere, some of the best VR mechanics amongst all games, solid final puzzle, the ending makes you wish it never ends.

The negatives I could think of: occasionally buggy physics and crashing

Game really feels like a prologue though, given the length, but it leaves you salivating for more. $30 is definitely a very steep price, but given the amount they seem to have invested in making the game relative to the install base, I'd say it is reasonable asking price. Hopefully the price drops over time for the other episodes

Evo X

Is there a good software solution to help you figure out ideal IPD?

I'm pretty sure the Rift DK2 had something.

I have no idea what to use. Have it set to 63mm right now I think. If I start moving too far in either direction from that, the image starts to get a bit fuzzy and distorted.

EAPidgeon

Is there a good software solution to help you figure out ideal IPD?

I'm pretty sure the Rift DK2 had something.

I have no idea what to use. Have it set to 63mm right now I think. If I start moving too far in either direction from that, the image starts to get a bit fuzzy and distorted.

It was a while ago that I did this for either the DK1 or DK2. Last I remember I used a quick online IPD calculator. However, there is a pretty straightforward way to do it in front of a mirror and Doc-Ok covers this. http://doc-ok.org/?p=898

Otherwise I would recommend using one of the calculators online. These recommend a credit card for reference, but a cheap expired gift card is smarter and safer.

Such can be found here https://www.warbyparker.com/pd/instructions and here http://www.visio-rx.com/measure-my-pd

Unfortunately I don't believe there's a DK2 style software measurement. That said although it's been a while I don't remember the calculator that came with the DK2 (or possibly the DK1) being all that useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom