• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanmunt

Banned
Played all day yesterday on friends (allenspawn) vive, I thought it was outstanding. Went to London a few years ago for expo and tried rage dk1, the advancements are outstanding. Can't say from a personal experience I suffered any of the comfort concerns and having to use headphones is a non issue. Overall it is an amazing piece of tech though I cannot get one due to the space requirements. I have a rift due soon, well when ever they can be bothered and I am amazed they are releasing it without touch..

Out of Ammo is pretty great.

Yeah, just played it a bit. Excellent idea, although lots of technical issues. Will be great once it's come along a bit further.

Having played a few games now where it tries to represent the controllers as hands (Starseed, Final Approach, Out of Ammo), none are doing a very good job of putting the model where it feels like your hands should be. I don't know if that's fixable or the weird shape of the controllers makes it hard to do. I also was frequently bashing the controllers together when passing thing from hand to hand in Starseed. I wish they'd gone with a form factor more like the Touch controllers.

Qassim

Holopoint is pretty intense, if you want something that gives you a proper workout - this is it. Really fun trying to beat your high scores.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
too many good games out there to suggest someone buy one that might make them feel like shit.

Totally disagree. It can have huge valleys, but also gigantic peaks. No other game has been as exhilarating for me as swinging in Windlands. It was the last game me and friends played on our first VR night, it took a little bit of getting used to (and almost falling over once) but it was so, so very worth it. It's exhilarating.

I had seen those, I was just wondering if there was anything official. Thanks for the links though!

Qassim

Enabling bluetooth communication was the worst decision I've made for this. It has caused nothing but problems. Taking ages to turn on, often turning off for no reason in the middle of play and then not being able to wake them back up again, SteamVR crashing whilst trying to wake up base stations.

To top it all off, getting it to actually stop using bluetooth has been a pain. I think I've finally got it to stop now, but ugh, I'd recommend people avoid it for now and just turn them off at the plug if you don't want them on all the time.

Evo X

Enabling bluetooth communication was the worst decision I've made for this. It has caused nothing but problems. Taking ages to turn on, often turning off for no reason in the middle of play and then not being able to wake them back up again, SteamVR crashing whilst trying to wake up base stations.

To top it all off, getting it to actually stop using bluetooth has been a pain. I think I've finally got it to stop now, but ugh, I'd recommend people avoid it for now and just turn them off at the plug if you don't want them on all the time.

Thanks for the info. I'll avoid installing the drivers for now.

Bluetooth in general is one of the glitchiest things ever. We were just discussing how inconsistent it is in cars in the Autogaf community thread.

I agree, it's terrible! Shame cause I want text alerts, but it's unusable in its current form.

TheCrow

Finally got the pack in games. Just had to bug them on support chat to get them. I'll probably wait till I finish The Gallery before I mess with anything else. Think I'm almost done but my batteries were dying on me.

Finally got the pack in games. Just had to bug them on support chat to get them. I'll probably wait till I finish The Gallery before I mess with anything else. Think I'm almost done but my batteries were dying on me.

Where is exactly is support chat? I can only ever find the email option.

zeioIIDX

Played the Vive at GameStop in Gulfport, MS yesterday. I already own a DK 1 but I wasn't prepared for this. Tilt Brush blew my mind. I can easily see myself doodling/sculpting in that thing for hours on end. Space Pirate Trainer though? Oh man...That feeling of using a shield in my left hand to block a drone's shots from the left side of me while using my right hand to shoot at a drone to my right at the same time is just...incredible. And switching from laser to rapid fire bullets to strategically take down the drones feels so badass when you're being swarmed with drones and having to dodge and block shots.

And you know what I just realized as I was driving home after playing the Vive? No screen door effect. I noticed NONE of it. I admit that I forgot to look for it but the fact that I jumped in and played it and never once noticed it on the Vive, that says a lot. I need to purchase a Vive.

Yeah it would! Child of Eden too.

Thanks.

This is the one I was thinking of, never got a chance to try it before, would looove to experience it first time on the Vive.

Played Tiltbrush for the first time last night, I'm the arty type so I was in absolute heaven, prob my new favorite thing for the Vive in general. Just such a feeling of exuberance creating in a 3d space like that, making psychedelic plasma sculptures, it's an ecstatic experience. I hope they update it to create an eraser that allows you to fine tune and truly sculpt your creations and not just the undo or nuke a specific line/movement option. This makes me want to work with different materials too, like those clay-like shaders they've got goin on in Oculus Medium. Give it me now! I need all the tools :p

Somebody stop me before I buy one!
oaHW00E.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...qmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_85jdqal7xl_e

I've already spent so much what am I thinking? I do plan on demoing it though...

Is anyone using a rectangular shaped area for room scale stuff?

The space I have available is blocked by some furniture that can't be moved so I'm left with an odd shaped play space of 18ft by 6ft (5.4m x 1.8m).

I'm wondering if there is any advantage to making the play space an even 6ft x 6ft to avoid getting used to having alot of freedom of movement in one direction and less in the other.

I apologize if this sounds dumb and the obvious answer of using all the space I have available is the best way to go.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is anyone using a rectangular shaped area for room scale stuff?

The space I have available is blocked by some furniture that can't be moved so I'm left with an odd shaped play space of 18ft by 6ft (5.4m x 1.8m).

I'm wondering if there is any advantage to making the play space an even 6ft x 6ft to avoid getting used to having alot of freedom of movement in one direction and less in the other.

I apologize if this sounds dumb and the obvious answer of using all the space I have available is the best way to go.

I think that space might be a little disproportionate, but a rectangular area seems fine - the minimum is 2x1.5m so slightly wider than it is deep - probably because you would need more space either side of you if you put your arms out to the sides rather than in front of you.

Bear in mind you'll want your PC in that tracked space. If the furniture is a sofa I'd be tempted to push the chaperone right up to it, as you can reach over it, plus it shouldn't hurt if your legs bump it a bit.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I have a rectangular space, 3.3 x 2 meters and I think it works great. You gain awareness of how your surface is and the chaperone will also guide you. Plus there are games that benefit from having a longer side, SPT and Hover Junkers for example.

IMACOMPUTA

I have a rectangular space, 3.3 x 2 meters and I think it works great. You gain awareness of his your surface is and the chaperone will also guide you. plus there are games that benefit from having a longer side, SPT and Hover Junkers for example.
Same here. Its fine!

Tried out the Vive at GameStop in Plano. It was an amazing experience. You can't truly comprehend how amazing VR is until you actually are in that virtual space.

Thanks for the responses everyone :)

I just want to make sure everything is good to go when my Vive arrives.

Is anyone else considering "remaking" their VR room's to mess around with?

I'm planning on remaking my room in UE4 so I can mess around with a virtual space that's built to scale so it almost feels like a version of fake AR in terms of having wacky stuff going on in a virtual representation of my real room.

wwm0nkey

Just tried the demo at the Microsoft Store, I've owned the DK2 since it came out but this blew my mind with how much better it was. Roomscale and the controllers are game changers.

Preordering from the MS store is also free so I'm ready for June/August!

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong with Luckys Tale? Just says connect headset when it is.....also cant find enable third party anymore, but did enable last time.

VVV Mars VG

My Vive is finally shipped! Went out yesterday, estimated delivery Monday. Got plenty of games downloaded and ready to go:

Free stuff:

The Lab
Tilt Brush (got my steam codes)
Job Simulator (steam code)
Fantastic Contraption (steam code)
The Gallery (while not "free", I kickstarted back in 2013)
Elite: Dangerous (already owned)
Irrational Exuberance
BLARP

Demos (all free):

Budget Cuts
Unseen Diplomacy
Jeeboman Demo
Cloudlands VR Minigolf Demo (will prob buy full game)
Realities.io
Skeet VR
Surgeon Simulator
The Cubicle
Pitch Hit Rampage
Ikea VR (lol)

What other games should I actually buy Day 1? Here's my tentative list:

Audioshield
Vanishing Realms
Cloudlands Minigolf
Space Pirate Trainer
Modbox

Might hold off on these for now and maybe get later once I tire of the other stuff:

Windlands?
Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades?
Final Approach?
Chunks?

Oh and I already have VR Desktop bought.

Any other suggestions?

A really handy list, one I've enjoyed is A-10, its cheap and for some reason I gain far too much enjoyment playing it. Go 17:59 into the vid to see the survival mode https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOXFvCjR6LA I've got Cloudlands Minigolf, good fun so far (again featured in that video).

Look forward to checking out Irrational Exuberance and BLARP, I downloaded another horror game demo, can't remember what it was called but will try it this week.

Zalusithix

The whole run in place thing got me thinking about omnidirectional treadmills again, and the various ways to create one. Then I got a rather odd idea to invert the concept. Instead of a big (potentially moving) surface beneath you that has to deal with movement in any direction, what if you attached two separate mini treadmills to your feet? (Or wheels - form doesn't matter.) Between IMUs and positional data from a lighthouse type setup, they'd be able to counter any natural forward walking/running action. The ability to side step would be retained (within room bounds limits). It'd really come down to how light you could make them. Power would have to come from the headset tether - batteries would weigh too much.

YuShtink

NOT Windlands.

Depends on your person :p

Well I have had my "VR legs" for a while now and played around in the original DK1 demo, so I'm not too worried about the nausea. Do the motion controllers add much to the experience? It's definitely not going to be my first choice but if the act of swinging around is intuitive and enjoyable I might pick it up later.

This Out of Ammo game looks pretty legit though. Might have to add that to my Day 1 list and call it complete for now.

YuShtink

A really handy list, one I've enjoyed is A-10, its cheap and for some reason I gain far too much enjoyment playing it. Go 17:59 into the vid to see the survival mode https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOXFvCjR6LA I've got Cloudlands Minigolf, good fun so far (again featured in that video).

Look forward to checking out Irrational Exuberance and BLARP, I downloaded another horror game demo, can't remember what it was called but will try it this week.

Interesting. Looks very similar to Space Pirate Trainer though which seems to be the favorite "Wave-based FPS" so far. I'll keep it in mind though does look pretty good.

I should mention (and probably edit on my original post) but as someone else mentioned, I totally forgot Blarp isn't free. But it's only $2.99. So that's why I forgot haha.

VVV Mars VG

When setting up the Vive they show a video demonstrating where you can put the base stations. In the video it shows clamps which don't come with the core components, has anyone seen these for sale anywhere? Would be good to clamp them to a cabinet rather than drill holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom