• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the idea, but they have to sell a smaller case. There's so much wasted space inside and based on the orientation of items inside the case I can tell the person has never played Diablo.

lol, yeah, my first thought was that I could probably get away with a smaller case. I'm trying to find one right now. Will post it here if I do.

Kevin

I was never a huge fan of the Paranormal Activity movies but the game that is coming out on the Vive looks fantastic. IGN showed it off two days ago and I haven't seen anyone mention it. Game looks awesome:

https://youtu.be/Qsna1ChGt0E

I am hearing that it's a 4-5 hour long game which seems fair for what it is. It just looks like a really cool room-scale game that should also be an awesome experience for horror movie fans such as myself.

Anyone else excited for this one?

newsguy

I was never a huge fan of the Paranormal Activity movies but the game that is coming out on the Vive looks fantastic. IGN showed it off two days ago and I haven't seen anyone mention it. Game looks awesome:

I am hearing that it's a 4-5 hour long game which seems fair for what it is. It just looks like a really cool room-scale game that should also be an awesome experience for horror movie fans such as myself.

Well, it looks like a more fleshed out PT in VR. So NOPE

TheCrow

Yeah... I got scared when a manta ray flew too close over my head in The Blu. Ima pass on vr horror games.

That was surprisingly entertaining just to see peoples reactions.

I don't know if it's worth a thread but I think more people should check this out.

Also, no way I'm messing with any horror games in VR, way too intense for me >.<

Evo X

I got scared by a flying orb hitting me in Audioshield. Its probably best if I avoid this.

Might get it to torture friends though. Lol

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
In audio shield, are the advancing balls supposed to slightly slow down and speed up as they approach you?

I can't tell if it's my hardware bugging out or if that's the way the game is designed...

Soi-Fong

Well, this sucks.. I just noticed my 2--day old Vive has to 2 green stuck pixels right near the center. About 20 or 30 pixels apart from one another.

Do you guys know if this is ground for an RMA. They're pretty hard to ignore. I wouldn't be complaining as much if they were near the periphery but they're in the center.

Honestly, I'm not even sure HTC is taking RMA's right now.

Well, this sucks.. I just noticed my 2--day old Vive has to 2 green stuck pixels right near the center. About 20 or 30 pixels apart from one another.

Do you guys know if this is ground for an RMA. They're pretty hard to ignore. I wouldn't be complaining as much if they were near the periphery but they're in the center.

Honestly, I'm not even sure HTC is taking RMA's right now.

They are taking RMA but don't expect them to be easy about it. It may take several calls and emails before you get your label.

Waikis

In audio shield, are the advancing balls supposed to slightly slow down and speed up as they approach you?

I can't tell if it's my hardware bugging out or if that's the way the game is designed...

I think the slow down and speed up depends on the songs tempo.

Somebody stop me before I buy one!
oaHW00E.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...qmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_85jdqal7xl_e

I've already spent so much what am I thinking? I do plan on demoing it though...

I actually use pelican cases to carry my guns to shooting competitions. You could throw your vive off the side of a cliff and watch it get hit by a truck and it would likely be fine. They come in lots of sizes and you cut the foam out yourself. My local gun shop usually has a sale on these every other month because they're popular for taking guns on airplanes.

taoofjord

Vive arrives tomorrow! Finally... after years of waiting for this day!

And yes, that Paranormal Activity game looks fantastic. Horror is the most immersive genre because it consistently brings emotion out of you. Here's hoping I can handle it in VR! I just really hope Frictional is making a VR roomscale game next.

Soi-Fong

They are taking RMA but don't expect them to be easy about it. It may take several calls and emails before you get your label.

Looked in the reddit and apparently, HTC charges you for the shipping. Which would come out to be around 60 - 80 dollars for me. Honestly, I'm not even sure that's worth it or not. I only really notice it during real dark scenes and I guess if I try to look for it.

The visual flares are more noticeable than these ones.

atom519

Looks fun. I'll be curious to see how long I last, as playing the brookhaven experiment was enough to rustle my jimmies to the point of force closing the app.

Also it looks like they are using traditional analog for locomotion? I'll likely be fine with it, but will severely limit the amount of people I attempt to demo it with.

Zaptruder

Banned
This just doesn't feel great. It's far less immersive than just constricting the play area to room scale with teleporting.

Trust me, you're constantly aware of the fact that you're just jogging in place on a mat.

Have you tried it?

It works well. The implementation requires a lot of tweaking, but the core idea which is running in place, on the spot, etc & some method of activating it (as opposed to always on) is solid and couples well with room scale.

This (or something similar to it) is basically as good as it's going to get for immersive general consumer traversal in VR (ludonarrative teleportation not withstanding).

The specific demo, the walking speed is too slow, and there's no speed gradient in movement - it just goes from slow to fast. Fast matches well with running on the spot, but not jogging on the spot (feels like you're moving much faster than you should be... i.e. running speed).

Also, the best method is to not put it in your pocket, but to use the wand as a pointer for your intended direction of movement - pointing the trigger (i.e. the controller face towards you) in the direction you want to move.

viveks86

Sold!

looks like they weren't actually walking when they are moving in game. was it Dpad?

When setting up the Vive they show a video demonstrating where you can put the base stations. In the video it shows clamps which don't come with the core components, has anyone seen these for sale anywhere? Would be good to clamp them to a cabinet rather than drill holes.

Just grab any standard camera mount clamp.

It's something that is used for certain songs based in their beat. Like WTF by Missy Elliot is crazy with the blink-esque balls.

Exuro

Did anyone else just get charged? I'm super pumped. Didn't get the email last week so expected that I'd have to wait until May.

Exuro

Did anybody get any sort of big screen tv protector? I was thinking of getting a room divider to cover up my tv on the entertainment center but they all seem to be made of paper.

IMACOMPUTA

I think I worked out my issues. So after 4 days of it not working during the day but working at night I spent some time while it was working last night updating my BIOS, installing the latest chipset drivers, etc.

I tested it today during the day and it still worked, although I was getting tons of stutters and losing tracking. Figured out that this was caused by the camera being on. I turned the camera off and it's flawless. I hope they fix that as I find the camera really useful.

Might be too early to call it fixed but this is the first time it's worked during the day (for whatever reason).

And I was really looking forward to the Paranormal Activity game, but I'm not interested in movement via touchpad. That'll make me sick.
Teleporting would be kinda crappy in a game like that too, so I'm not sure what they should have done.

hell no.

Animator

Hell. Fucking. No.

Kevin

For those with a headset, how do you hook up your set to a card that only has one HDMI port when you also have a 4K monitor hooked up to that very same HDMI port? Can Vive be plugged into a monitor?

EDIT: Looks like a display port 1.2 cable can do 4K at 60hz.

Ionic

I didn't know it was going to be a decent length game. When I heard about it I expected it to be a 20 minute sort of thing. Very neat. VR horror is likely way too much for me, but I'm excited to see it happening.

artsi

That Paranormal Activity game is one I will never play because I would shit my pants, and I say it as a horror movie fan.

Evo X

Just went through all 8 things in The Lab. That Archery game is so cool!

After a bit of practice, I felt like fucking Legolas. On the 3rd try, I beat all 8 waves without letting the gate take any damage.

So good.

Have you tried it?

It works well. The implementation requires a lot of tweaking, but the core idea which is running in place, on the spot, etc & some method of activating it (as opposed to always on) is solid and couples well with room scale.

This (or something similar to it) is basically as good as it's going to get for immersive general consumer traversal in VR (ludonarrative teleportation not withstanding).

The specific demo, the walking speed is too slow, and there's no speed gradient in movement - it just goes from slow to fast. Fast matches well with running on the spot, but not jogging on the spot (feels like you're moving much faster than you should be... i.e. running speed).

Also, the best method is to not put it in your pocket, but to use the wand as a pointer for your intended direction of movement - pointing the trigger (i.e. the controller face towards you) in the direction you want to move.

My university has a VR group that has a similar setup (had rather, it's been out of use for a while). I only got the chance to use it once admittedly, but it felt pretty bad compared to the roomscale Vive setup I tried as well. Being constrained to a small room space isn't amazing, but you're literally walking around within that space. It feels entirely natural, for obvious reasons. I didn't get that from the stepping in place setup.

Arulan

A reminder to keep adjusting your straps until you find that perfect spot. Over-ear headphones can actually help a little to keep it from shifting without having to tighten the straps too much.

Zaptruder

Banned
My university has a VR group that has a similar setup (had rather, it's been out of use for a while). I only got the chance to use it once admittedly, but it felt pretty bad compared to the roomscale Vive setup I tried as well. Being constrained to a small room space isn't amazing, but you're literally walking around within that space. It feels entirely natural, for obvious reasons. I didn't get that from the stepping in place setup.

The specific implementation details matter significantly for the quality of the walking in place experience.

The biggest things that RIPmotion gets right is that the controller direction can indicate the motion of travel - allowing one to look around and still walk in the intended direction (because we look around when walking). Additionally, there's an on/off button (hold down grip buttons) to activate it - which means you can easily transition between room scale and WIP/RIP motions.

Basically it's as good as an ODT, without the expense, space requirements, and it's actually better in that it marries room scale with free traversal near seamlessly.

But it can get better and for a myriad of reasons, including fitness, sense of scale, sense of movement, reduction in motion sickness, it can actually serve as the default movement scheme for immersive FPV VR experiences (kinda like the WASD and Mouselook of VR).

Hmm. There is an amount of money missing on my CC that doesn't appear in transactions yet, and also exactly lines up with what the Vive costs.

I'm officially getting my hopes up.

A reminder to keep adjusting your straps until you find that perfect spot. Over-ear headphones can actually help a little to keep it from shifting without having to tighten the straps too much.
I'm still struggling to get a fit in entirely happy with that doesn't need a lot of constant fiddling. Having to adjust the massive cable over the top strap doesn't make tweaking that one particularly easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom