• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaptruder

Banned
How tired you'd be if you have to use it a lot? I'd rather just use a stick to move.

Getting tired is a feature. It's a health positive design for a past time that has traditionally been sedentary and contributory towards a health epidemic.

Also experiences designed with this sort of locomotion in mind will take into account the energy expenditure - because it becomes obvious once you start using it. To that end, things like faster modes of transportation become more meaningful and useful for the player, as does the sense of distance and scale (imagine walking a kilometer out of town and having to walk back to do anything useful). None fitness and space oriented experiences can combine it with movement methods like teleportation for user convenience.

From what I've seen in the video you can only walk forward.

Depends on how you use it. If you use it as per the video (sticking it in your pants), it's a bit limited.

If you use it by holding it, it essentially turns into a pointer that allows you to easily decouple motion of direction from your torso and head (and thus allows you to strafe or walk backwards as needed - point it behind you to walk backwards... although the implementation is a little flawed because it doesn't change the speed of motion (we don't expect to travel backwards as fast as we do forwards).

Have the Elite developers even acknowledged the supposed rendering issues with the Vive? It's worrying if they haven't because it's one of the games I was planning to spend the most time with. It makes me think there will be no fix.

artsi

Shipment notification GET!

April 1st order, on the other hand I feel bad for early pre-orderers who haven't got one yet, but on the other... hyped!

metalshade

April 1st order, on the other hand I feel bad for early pre-orderers who haven't got one yet, but on the other... hyped!

Hmm, here in the UK, I ordered on march 20th, paid immediately via paypal, got confirmation, and then nada. Said I was in may shipment. Wonder how your's got processed sooner? Ah well, cool beans, you can all get the kinks tested and fixed already so it's nice and smooth for the late larry's like myself.

You're right and when you're right you're ABSOLUTELY right. What we REALLY need is a spider horror game for Vive:

3g4y6.jpg

As an arachnologist with zero game making experience I would love to work with someone on a game that simulates how they perceive the world. That would both educate and fascinate people I hope.

You could only really pull that off in VR.

sammex

Anyone using a R9 290 (Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X OC) with their vive and if so what's it like?

tumblr_o5tvk0fsww1t0grs4o1_540.jpg

The steam vr performance looks ok, still I was planning on upgrading my graphics to something beefier, but with the pascal cards coming out this summer do you think I should wait until then?

artsi

Hmm, here in the UK, I ordered on march 20th, paid immediately via paypal, got confirmation, and then nada. Said I was in may shipment. Wonder how your's got processed sooner? Ah well, cool beans, you can all get the kinks tested and fixed already so it's nice and smooth for the late larry's like myself.

Their system just is badly designed, when someone cancelled their April order it didn't push people in the queue forward, but opened that slot to new orders, which many people including me managed to get.

(that was just speculation before, but I guess it's confirmed now that we actually got shipment notifications)

SimplexPL

@sammex - I'd advise waiting for Pascal. Whatever you buy now will most probably become sort of obsolete in 2-3 months.
(not ilterally obsolete, but worse than the new cards in 14/16nm).

Crispy75

Yeah, now is a terrible time to buy. When Pascal/Polaris come, current cards will drop in price, or you'll be able to get the new hotness. Either way you win.

Tadie

Maybe it´s just a fool...because of your order date ;)

Congrats!

I´m still pushing F5^^

Yeah, now is a terrible time to buy. When Pscal/Polaris come, current cards will drop in price, or you'll be able to get the new hotness. Either way you win.

Problem is, people are saying that since a year ago, maybe even a bit more. And the new gpus are still not in the market, after all that time.

Have the Elite developers even acknowledged the supposed rendering issues with the Vive? It's worrying if they haven't because it's one of the games I was planning to spend the most time with. It makes me think there will be no fix.

Yeah they are aware and working on it. Suppose to be because it's rendering at 1024 *768 natively for some reason.

Knch

Anyone using a R9 290 (Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X OC) with their vive and if so what's it like?

Look at you, having a 290 with a proper cooler...

I'm running a reference cooler, it gets a bit loud at times (open headphones, yeay!,) but it can manage everything I've thrown at it just fine.

sammex

Look at you, having a 290 with a proper cooler...

I'm running a reference cooler, it gets a bit loud at times (open headphones, yeay!,) but it can manage everything I've thrown at it just fine.

Heh, cheers. I'll stick with the 290 then.

MaDKaT

real silicon coming out of nVidia now. For the very top range for sure, but all signs point to consumer cards later this year.

I hope so. When I built my PC a couple months ago I wasnt planning on VR until the end of this year(PSVR) and not even considering PCVR until maybe next year so I just picked up a 390(on sale) as a hold over until Pascal/Vega. However I just couldnt wait and hopefully my Vive will be here in 2-4 weeks. I was able to eek out an 8.6(stock 7.1) on the steamVR performance test with some tweaking so Im hoping it will hold out until then.

Still trying to figure out a way to secure the headset so that I can:

A. Not fall off or get blurry when I look down
B. Not leave a red mark on my cheeks when I take it off

:/

Also does it feel like the top strap doesn't do a damn thing to anybody else? I set it in various places and I don't feel any difference.

ATS and ETS don't show up as VIVE compatible in Steam.
I meant to say, I don't want to have to mess with OpenVR or hacks, I am just looking for what's on the horizon as far as non-VR games supporting Vive.

That's up to the devs to set though. They fully support Oculus at the moment (but you need to select a different beta branch on Steam), but the OpenVR support is not yet ready and they have not given a timeline for when it will be. They are working on it though.

But in either case, VR is something a dev does in his off time at this point so I doubt they will put it as VR compatible in the store front.

That's up to the devs to set though. They fully support Oculus at the moment (but you need to select a different beta branch on Steam), but the OpenVR support is not yet ready and they have not given a timeline for when it will be. They are working on it though.

But in either case, VR is something a dev does in his off time at this point so I doubt they will put it as VR compatible in the store front.

Thanks! Here's hoping it is coming..

Zalusithix

Alright, here are some of my setup pictures.

Since my Amazon order of the clamps won't be here until later this week, I decided to do this to attach them to the support poles I picked up.

If these images aren't showing up, let me know.

Well that's one way to jerry-rig the lighthouses to the poles lol. Kudos to the improvising.

deadfolk

Alright, here are some of my setup pictures.

Since my Amazon order of the clamps won't be here until later this week, I decided to do this to attach them to the support poles I picked up.

If these images aren't showing up, let me know.

Is the thing screwed into the lighthouse the mount that comes with it?

Zalusithix

Cool - thanks. I'm trying to work out ways to jerry-rig mine so I can test the location before making holes in the walls.

Well, you could get a few cheap 2x4 studs from a local hardware store and make a couple of T shapes with them. Screw the lighthouses into the "bottom" of the T, and place the top of the T on the ground. Lean the assembly against the wall and you'll be able to move them around the room at will before finalizing anything. Should be less than $10 in hardware. Free assuming you have any spare wood laying around the house already.

deadfolk

Well, you could get a few cheap 2x4 studs from a local hardware store and make a couple of T shapes with them. Screw the lighthouses into the "bottom" of the T, and place the top of the T on the ground. Lean the assembly against the wall and you'll be able to move them around the room at will before finalizing anything. Should be less than $10 in hardware. Free assuming you have any spare wood laying around the house already.

I have an ethernet cable running down the wall in one corner, so I might try and use cable-ties to attach the mounting bracket to that.
There's a shelf in the other corner, so I think I can work something out there.

Edit: Although thinking about it, your idea might work if the ethernet cable plan fails. Good to have a plan b.

Bsigg12

Anybody have a good list of all the free stuff I should have downloaded? I have an idea of which games I think I'm going to buy.

Zalusithix

I have an ethernet cable running down the wall in one corner, so I might try and use cable-ties to attach the mounting bracket to that.
There's a shelf in the other corner, so I think I can work something out there.

Edit: Although thinking about it, your idea might work if the ethernet cable plan fails. Good to have a plan b.
I really wouldn't recommend hanging it from a cable. They're over a pound each and vibrate to a certain extent. For any testing you'll want a solid mount, not something where it can move around.

Wollan

Just experienced a transcending moment in interactive-entertainment playing The Lab on the Vive for the very first time.

I don't expect to ever witness such a jump in interactive-entertainment ever again.

This is markedly above witnessing the 3D polygonal breakthroughs of the 90's.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Also does it feel like the top strap doesn't do a damn thing to anybody else? I set it in various places and I don't feel any difference.

The idea is to have the back strap in the same place behind the head and adjust the top strap from there. Also pay attention to the cables that might hold up the top strap.

Well, this sucks.. I just noticed my 2--day old Vive has to 2 green stuck pixels right near the center. About 20 or 30 pixels apart from one another.

Do you guys know if this is ground for an RMA. They're pretty hard to ignore. I wouldn't be complaining as much if they were near the periphery but they're in the center.

Honestly, I'm not even sure HTC is taking RMA's right now.

Mine has a blue one in the middle. It's going back.

kinggroin

Banned
Just experienced a transcending moment in interactive-entertainment playing The Lab on the Vive for the very first time.

I don't expect to ever witness such a jump in interactive-entertainment ever again.

This is markedly above witnessing the 3D polygonal breakthroughs of the 90's.

Yyyyyep.

It's why the small handful of us who HAVE used the Vive, said * -> VR as the biggest leap in gaming ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom