• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

Mine has a blue one in the middle. It's going back.

I wonder how common (sub)pixel issues are on the OLED screens. Normally you'd be hard pressed to find faults with these crazy high PPI screens as each subpixel is insanely small. When the screen is optically blown up to cover such a huge FoV, however, little flaws become far more apparent. We are - quite literally - placing these OLEDs under a microscope that no consumer gear has ever had to deal with.

Will they accept a return for a single stuck/dead pixel?

Apparently so, just trying to organise it! Really pissed off though, the hassle I went through to get it, and now it's going back!

I wonder how common (sub)pixel issues are on the OLED screens. Normally you'd be hard pressed to find faults with these crazy high PPI screens as each subpixel is insanely small. When the screen is optically blown up to cover such a huge FoV, however, little flaws become far more apparent. We are - quite literally - placing these OLEDs under a microscope that no consumer gear has ever had to deal with.

Yeah and I'd be ok if it was in the periphery, but no smack bang in the middle.

Just experienced a transcending moment in interactive-entertainment playing The Lab on the Vive for the very first time.

I don't expect to ever witness such a jump in interactive-entertainment ever again.

This is markedly above witnessing the 3D polygonal breakthroughs of the 90's.

Yyyyyep.

It's why the small handful of us who HAVE used the Vive, said * -> VR as the biggest leap in gaming ever.

I am guessing this will be the new NES of 30 years ago where the popularity spread through friends using friends devices. Since there is no other way to experience than to be there. Yeah some places have demos is far and few select places. I would expect this to hit critical mass with the psvr starts marketing to the general public and more people adopt.

But yeah, I have had more fun playing my VIVE in the past couple weeks than I had in the past ten years combined in single player games. So much that I am seriously having a hard time wrapping my brain around going back to 2d gaming as my primary platform. I was looking forward to uncharted 4 and the new zelda later this year but now I just kind of don't care. I know its all new and everything but this is something that is completely better. Once some of the mechanics get figured out over the next few years I would expect that this will be the dominate gaming platform for at least home gaming. It will have the wii effect but even greater because it is truly immersive. My wife can stand videogames, has played through a few with me. But really only did it because I like them. But this is the same effect that everyone is saying with their spouses or girlfriends, she is now like lets go downstairs and play the Vive. "What? Who are you?", I am thinking.

Qassim

Has anyone had any problems with the camera? I've had it since thursday and have yet to manage to get it working - I've tried everything I can think of including removing *all* usb devices to see if that would help, but no luck.

Has anyone had any problems with the camera? I've had it since thursday and have yet to manage to get it working - I've tried everything I can think of including removing *all* usb devices to see if that would help, but no luck.

Not to be ridiculous, have you enabled it in SteamVR settings?

i am not trying to sound like an ass but you turned it on in settings right? It is default off. Also you are double clicking the menu button to get there right?

Mihos

Gold Member
I am guessing this will be the new NES of 30 years ago where the popularity spread through friends using friends devices. Since there is no other way to experience than to be there. Yeah some places have demos is far and few select places. I would expect this to hit critical mass with the psvr starts marketing to the general public and more people adopt.

But yeah, I have had more fun playing my VIVE in the past couple weeks than I had in the past ten years combined in single player games. So much that I am seriously having a hard time wrapping my brain around going back to 2d gaming as my primary platform. I was looking forward to uncharted 4 and the new zelda later this year but now I just kind of don't care. I know its all new and everything but this is something that in completely better. Once some of the mechanics get figured out over the next few years I would expect that this will be the dominate gaming platform for at least home gaming. It will have the wii effect but even greater because it is truly immersive. My wife can stand videogames, has played through a few with me. But really only did it because I like them. But this is the same effect that everyone is saying with their spouses or girlfriends, she is now like lets go downstairs and play the Vive. "What? Who are you?", I am thinking.

First one to nail a JRPG on this wins

My wife loves vr even more than me... so it is hard to describe, but I understand

Apparently so, just trying to organise it! Really pissed off though, the hassle I went through to get it, and now it's going back!

Let us know how it goes. I've got one dead pixel, but I assumed they wouldn't do a return for that. Also not sure I can be bothered shipping the whole thing, might be more tempted to do it if I can just send the headset.

Things to try - a different USB port and reducing the capture rate in the settings. Mine stopped working but plugging it into a USB 3.0 port on the front seemed to fix it
It also took me a while to realise that the reason the image looked blue is that I didn't take off the protective film from the lens...

Qassim

Not to be ridiculous, have you enabled it in SteamVR settings?

i am not trying to sound like an ass but you turned it on in settings right? It is default off. Also you are double clicking the menu button to get there right?

Yep - all on in the settings. Tried reducing the streaming settings from 60Hz to 30Hz, but still - no luck.

It does show up in device manager under 'Imaging devices' as 'MMP SDK'.

Things to try - a different USB port and reducing the capture rate in the settings. Mine stopped working but plugging it into a USB 3.0 port on the front seemed to fix it
It also took me a while to realise that the reason the image looked blue is that I didn't take off the protective film from the lens...

Anyone know why the camera is all green anyhow? What was the design decision there? Why not just be a normal camera? Wouldn't this allow AR if it did this?

Let us know how it goes. I've got one dead pixel, but I assumed they wouldn't do a return for that. Also not sure I can be bothered shipping the whole thing, might be more tempted to do it if I can just send the headset.

Apparently I can just send the headset, I said exactly that, sending it all back again is a huge pain, I've nail clipped the wires to the wall and painted them. I was saying why can't they do a pick up and swap in one go. But no.

Yep - all on in the settings. Tried reducing the streaming settings from 60Hz to 30Hz, but still - no luck.

That is bloody weird, only thing I can think USB port. Maybe try a USB 2.0 if you haven't.

Anyone know why the camera is all green anyhow? What was the design decision there? Why not just be a normal camera? Wouldn't this allow AR if it did this?
That's just the overlay while in VR, the camera is normal, you can set it so it comes on while you're in the steam VR menu and it gives you a unaltered video feed.

Tilt Brush is cool.

UOp903p.png

Zalusithix

Yeah and I'd be ok if it was in the periphery, but no smack bang in the middle.

Yeah, luck would have it that if you're going to have pixel issues, they'd be where they're the most conspicuous.

Anyhow, the fact that we already have 3 people with pixel issues in our small sample group makes me think that there's a non-negligible manufacturing fault percentage for the screens. I wonder if any of the Rifts have had these issues. Theoretically they'd be using the same panels. Admittedly until we get a teardown of the Vive, that's just conjecture.

dumbo

The vive doesn't like to share port areas it seems. If you can move it to an area that it is alone you may have some better luck.

It's not so much that the vive doesn't like to share a port, but that most PC USB ports stink.

I installed the same USB PCIe card recommended by Oculus a few days ago, and since then I've been running the camera at 60fps without any problems (touch wood, YMMV, probably not worth it etc.)

Yeah, luck would have it that if you're going to have pixel issues, they'd be where they're the most conspicuous.

Anyhow, the fact that we already have 3 people with pixel issues in our small sample group makes me think that there's a non-negligible manufacturing fault percentage for the screens. I wonder if any of the Rifts have had these issues. Theoretically they'd be using the same panels. Admittedly until we get a teardown of the Vive, that's just conjecture.

I think I have a stuck pixel in the far upper left eye of my left eye. It only against black and is blue. Could be dust though? I haven't tried to get it unstuck yet. I have to look for it to find it so its not a big deal at all to me right now. But I can see having one right in the middle would definitely bug me as well. Sorry to hear that so many are having these issues.

Zalusithix

I think I have a stuck pixel in the far upper left eye of my left eye. It only against black and is blue. Could be dust though? I haven't tried to get it unstuck yet. I have to look for it to find it so its not a big deal at all to me right now. But I can see having one right in the middle would definitely bug me as well. Sorry to hear that so many are having these issues.

If it only shows up against black, I don't think it could be dust. Unless the dust in your area exhibits photoluminescence - in which case you have bigger problems. ;) Blue against black in the periphery is about as ideal of a situation as you could get though. Short of perfect that is.

To less depressing topics (for me), What's the verdict on Hover Junkers then? Is it a must have? I keep nearly buying it then not......Brookhaven Demo was intense as hell, positionally audio on that is brilliant, you can pick out the wind rustling through the trees, and it sounds so natural, think I'll get that in June.

IMACOMPUTA

I had a stuck pixel. It went away on its own.

And I had to disable the camera in order to get tracking working properly. It kept freaking out.

To less depressing topics (for me), What's the verdict on Hover Junkers then? Is it a must have? I keep nearly buying it then not......Brookhaven Demo was intense as hell, positionally audio on that is brilliant, you can pick out the wind rustling through the trees, and it sounds so natural, think I'll get that in June.

game is dope. if you can't aim, you'll get rekt since it's all multiplayer. if you're having success with games like space pirate trainer, you'll be good2go with Junkers. If you don't like it, refund it.

Nugg

My Vive is finally here. I spent ALL DAY troubleshooting it, reinstalling stuff and shit like that. It finally works, everything is detected as it should, and I'm ready to properly configure room stuff, but I don't have time to do it today anymore :(

Zalusithix

My Vive is finally here. I spent ALL DAY troubleshooting it, reinstalling stuff and shit like that. It finally works, everything is detected as it should, and I'm ready to properly configure room stuff, but I don't have time to do it today anymore :(

Sleep is for the weak! VR straight into the morning! ;)

not including pack-ins I would say my favorites are:

Audioshield
BLARP!
Holopoint
SPT
EDIT:Minecraft < is amazing too hopefully they keep working on it.

Havent spent much time with Unseen diplomacy or Budget Cuts yet.

Havent bought Vanishing realms or Gallery yet. Waiting for sale as they are short I have heard and I think they are doing another sale soon as a second launch deal since the first wave or headset orders were all messed up.

I hear too many inconsistencies about hover junkers right now.

I am mainly into the arcady games at this time.

Mine has a blue one in the middle. It's going back.

From R VIVE reddit post, hopefully you get a quick turn around like this guy.

Repaired Vimote has Returned!
submitted 21 minutes ago by ColorFromTheSun

It's a miracle. I shipped my Vimote that had the loose part on the inside back to HTC on the 13th, and it is back today on the 18th! Hands and a foot to you HTC Repair Depot!

Wollan

I had multiple times where the HMD went black or program froze (after a stretch of a couple of hours of playing without trouble).
Firmware update was needed for controllers and it seems to have restored balance again.
It's weird cause I could see the HMD tracking perfectly on the monitor but it being black/turned-off inside.
Deep emotions of rage/frustration as it was holding me off that sweet, sweet honey.

I don't think ANYONE has a problem-free daily experience with the Vive. I pretty much have to restart my machine if I want to play with the Vive after exiting SteamVR once or twice. I get hit with the 301 error i believe it is. The "that shouldn't have happened" note. And no combination of unplugging and plugging things back in resolves it. only a full restart will suffice. Given that's only about 20 seconds on my new desktop it's not an issue...but it's the principle of the matter. This software is both flaky and fragile.

I don't think ANYONE has a problem-free daily experience with the Vive. I pretty much have to restart my machine if I want to play with the Vive after exiting SteamVR once or twice. I get hit with the 301 error i believe it is. The "that shouldn't have happened" note. And no combination of unplugging and plugging things back in resolves it. only a full restart will suffice. Given that's only about 20 seconds on my new desktop it's not an issue...but it's the principle of the matter. This software is both flaky and fragile.

Yeah we are beta testers no doubt. But its still fun.

Sky Chief

I was never a huge fan of the Paranormal Activity movies but the game that is coming out on the Vive looks fantastic. IGN showed it off two days ago and I haven't seen anyone mention it. Game looks awesome:

https://youtu.be/Qsna1ChGt0E

I am hearing that it's a 4-5 hour long game which seems fair for what it is. It just looks like a really cool room-scale game that should also be an awesome experience for horror movie fans such as myself.

Anyone else excited for this one?

Dude, some of the cartoon skeletons in Vanishing Realms scare the shit out of me!

I wonder if anyone has completely set up and put away the consumer vive as much as me. 16 times now, maybe.

I washing to post about how my only big problem lately is when the camera doesn't work and I can't consistently get the camera running again. But I realized maybe it's because I'm always playing on a fresh setup.

I wonder if anyone has completely set up and put away the consumer vive as much as me. 16 times now, maybe.

I washing to post about how my only big problem lately is when the camera doesn't work and I can't consistently get the camera running again. But I realized maybe it's because I'm always playing on a fresh setup.

Before mine arrived people were saying it took HOURS to set up.

So glad the correct estimate was like 20 minutes.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Before mine arrived people were saying it took HOURS to set up.

So glad the correct estimate was like 20 minutes.

It takes 20 minutes to physically set it up. The hours comes in when something doesn't work.

Luckily with mine everything worked out of the box.

From R VIVE reddit post, hopefully you get a quick turn around like this guy.

Repaired Vimote has Returned!
submitted 21 minutes ago by ColorFromTheSun

It's a miracle. I shipped my Vimote that had the loose part on the inside back to HTC on the 13th, and it is back today on the 18th! Hands and a foot to you HTC Repair Depot!

That sounds good to me!

Wollan

I have been trying to get the Vive to work (at all) for the last hour. It shows an image half-the-time on The Lab boot but then light switches to red and it turns off. It's tracking perfectly according to monitor image.

Compsiox

Banned
I have been trying to get the Vive to work (at all) for the last hour. It shows an image half-the-time on The Lab boot but then light switches to red and it turns off. It's tracking perfectly according to monitor image.

Make sure there is nothing that would interfere (EMI). The cable box can't be near any sources of EMI (wireless wifi adapter ect.)

taoofjord

Unfortuantely, I barely got through the tutorial due to motion sickness. I'm not sure if I'm having framerate problems but I did notice some jitter with the headset and controllers while I was trying to be as still as possible. Any ideas on what could be causing it? I also got a performance notification as well, but again, I didn't personally notice dropped frames. Odd since I have better than the minimum requirements (slightly)

Make sure there is nothing that would interfere (EMI). The cable box can't be near any sources of EMI (wireless wifi adapter ect.)

My linkbox is about a foot away from my PC tower which does have a USB wifi adapter sticking out of it. Could this be causing the jitter I'm seeing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom