• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortuantely, I barely got through the tutorial due to motion sickness. I'm not sure if I'm having framerate problems but I did notice some jitter with the headset and controllers while I was trying to be as still as possible. Any ideas on what could be causing it? I also got a performance notification as well, but again, I didn't personally notice dropped frames. Odd since I have better than the minimum requirements (slightly)

Sounds like frame rate issues. This happened to me while I demo'd the unit at the MS store here in NYC. The guy exited the demo and restarted it which made the frame rate drops go away and therefore my motion sickness went away as well. It wasn't bad but I did feel just a slight dizziness, like I was putting on a pair of thick prescription glasses

taoofjord

I hope not. I've got a GTX970 slightly OC'ed, an i5-4690K, 16GB RAM. I don't see how I'd have issues in the tutorial with those specs. There must be something weird going on. Maybe there's something I should adjust in the settings like heuristic evaluations or turning off the camera? I really want to wait till June to get one of the new GPU's, but if that's the problem I'll have to grab the 980ti.

I hope not. I've got a GTX970 slightly OC'ed, an i5-4690K, 16GB RAM. I don't see how I'd have issues in the tutorial with those specs. There must be something weird going on. Maybe there's something I should adjust in the settings like heuristic evaluations or turning off the camera? I really want to wait till June to get one of the new GPU's, but if that's the problem I'll have to grab the 980ti.

It's not your video card, I can tell you that.

Evo X

Are there a lot of glass or reflective surfaces in your room?

Did you take off the clear plastic film from the lighthouses?

Compsiox

Banned
Unfortuantely, I barely got through the tutorial due to motion sickness. I'm not sure if I'm having framerate problems but I did notice some jitter with the headset and controllers while I was trying to be as still as possible. Any ideas on what could be causing it? I also got a performance notification as well, but again, I didn't personally notice dropped frames. Odd since I have better than the minimum requirements (slightly)

My linkbox is about a foot away from my PC tower which does have a USB wifi adapter sticking out of it. Could this be causing the jitter I'm seeing?

Definitely. I disabled mine and have been completely flawless. The controller jitter idk but it's most likely causing the display to stop displaying footage.

Wollan

Make sure there is nothing that would interfere (EMI). The cable box can't be near any sources of EMI (wireless wifi adapter ect.)
Kinda unpractical with most PC's being wifi based no?
Anyways, these problems started happening after girlfriend came home from work and started streaming on iPad in same room...

Compsiox

Banned
Anyways, these problems started happening after girlfriend came home from work and started streaming on iPad in same room...

Yep. I don't think there's much you can do to prevent that.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I don't think ANYONE has a problem-free daily experience with the Vive. I pretty much have to restart my machine if I want to play with the Vive after exiting SteamVR once or twice. I get hit with the 301 error i believe it is. The "that shouldn't have happened" note. And no combination of unplugging and plugging things back in resolves it. only a full restart will suffice. Given that's only about 20 seconds on my new desktop it's not an issue...but it's the principle of the matter. This software is both flaky and fragile.

Fwiw, my 301 error is "resolved" by unplugging my Razer Lycosa keyboard. It's a shit solution, but it is what it is.

Maybe try uninstalling some drivers.

Zalusithix

Most gaming rigs are WiFi based these days? I figured most people went the hard wire route when connection stability is of the utmost importance. Granted hard wiring isn't an option for everybody, but where it is, it just makes a heck of a lot of sense for a fixed location system.

Not that I think that's the issue at hand here.

Fwiw, my 301 error is "resolved" by unplugging my Razer Lycosa keyboard. It's a shit solution, but it is what it is.

Maybe try uninstalling some drivers.
Uninstalling random drivers seems silly. I could try disconnecting my K70 keyboard one just to see what happens.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I had multiple times where the HMD went black or program froze (after a stretch of a couple of hours of playing without trouble).
Firmware update was needed for controllers and it seems to have restored balance again.
It's weird cause I could see the HMD tracking perfectly on the monitor but it being black/turned-off inside.
Deep emotions of rage/frustration as it was holding me off that sweet, sweet honey.

It happened to me yesterday. And it was happening in Hover Junkers. I thought the game is buggy. But then it happened in other games too, so I decided to restart my computer. After that it worked perfectly.

Also, if one station is not detected usually resetting the HMD from the Steam VR menu solves it.

Wollan

Well I will have to try again in the morning. Incredible if that's the case that it's not possible to stream something (over wi-fi) simultaneously without disturbing this thing. Seems kinda hard to believe. edit: FYI I live in a block and it was working before (I assume) most were home.

I saw somebody else in this thread mention that it only worked at night for them. Maybe because people are home from work and using various wi-fi devices earlier in the evening?

I have likely rebooted 30 times tonight. Re-hooked wires. Re-calibrated room setup. Rebooted from SteamVR settings. I simply can't get it to work but occasionally it flashes on for a few seconds when I boot.

wonderpug

Neo Member

Any chance you have an Xbox with Kinect turned on in the room?

Compsiox

Banned
Well I will have to try again in the morning. Incredible if that's the case that it's not possible to stream something (over wi-fi) simultaneously without disturbing this thing. Seems kinda hard to believe. edit: FYI I live in a block and it was working before (I assume) most were home.

I saw somebody else in this thread mention that it only worked at night for them. Maybe because people are home from work and using various wi-fi devices earlier in the evening?

I have likely rebooted 30 times tonight. Re-hooked wires. Re-calibrated room setup. Rebooted from SteamVR settings. I simply can't get it to work but occasionally it flashes on for a few seconds when I boot.

It's the wifi adapter.

Wollan

If that's the case then Valve / HTC will have a ****storm coming once these roll out in larger quantities. Will be interesting to see tomorrow (I'm working from home this week so will have good opportunity to test).

Re-reading my posts and the pattern seem to indicate this might be it... it worked excellent then it got gradually worse as people returned from work in my block:
5:50pm
7:41pm
8:53pm
9:39pm
10:04pm

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Well this is potentially good new for those who need to have their Vive RMA'd regarding the timeframe. It looks like it took about 6 days in total in this instance. https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4fd7yk/repaired_vimote_has_returned/

6 days is good news? I'd hope for the price of the unit they'd ship a new one and collect the old one when the new one turns up. Still, given the current situation I suppose we should be thankful they aren't charging us for shipping. (They aren't, right?)

It's the wifi adapter.

Wait, the breakout box is that sensitive to interference? Is it not shielded or something?

Couldn't you do a quick test where once you notice tracking problems, wrap the breakout box in aluminum foil and see if it gets better? That would be pretty fucked up if the hardware is that sensitive to interference.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I have a wi-fi adapter on my computer and I have no tracking issues. I even used Vive while downloading games on Steam.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's the wifi adapter.

Wrap the breakout box in foil? I can't see why wifi should cause a problem - only the controllers should be using wireless to transmit back to the headset(?) and the headset itself is sending data back to the PC over a cable - likewise with the video signal. So is the breakout box just badly shielded or something?

You'd think this would be diagnosable - anyone fancy trying to get to the bottom of it?

Not sure, first day I got my vive. Plugged it up and my dloads were like .01mbs with my wifi when trying to dload my set up software. The box was doing something crazy right next to my pc. I ended up moving it a bit further away and the problem is mostly gone but I can confirm it was directly related to the Vive as isolated it directly to that. As I ripped my house appart even looking at the ont for my fios box to everything else.

Daheza

NOOOO I WASNT FAST ENOUGH and my bank declined the money before i could call them

Fucking HTC and their awful partners. I feel for you.

I was also declined, but I had already warned chase of the charge. They still declined it.

Honestly digital river should lose their ability to process credit card payments. I am sure the credit vendors are not happy about hundreds of denied charges because they cant be bothered to send the credit request correctly.

I cant see how its any of that, your system is far better than mine. I have a i5-3350 @3.10 with 8 megs of ram and 970 (all stock speeds) and everything I have thrown at it runs great. I haven't messed with any of the setting to make anything run better or anything. Sounds like a config issue.

Wollan

Max deviation: 0.55mm-0.8mm.

Standard deviation: 0.14mm-0.15mm.

Max deviation rotation: 0.11-0.13degrees.

Seems like it's within normal/good range (I didn't feel jitter when I was using it successfully earlier on, just observing it on my monitor now).

Had the Vive on a chair in the middle of the tracking space.
Base-stations mounted on floor-to-roof poles.

BrettWeir

I was also declined, but I had already warned chase of the charge. They still declined it.

Honestly digital river should lose their ability to process credit card payments. I am sure the credit vendors are not happy about hundreds of denied charges because they cant be bothered to send the credit request correctly.

I work for a company that bid for the RFP for Digital River. They went for a cheaper alternative, and it definitely shows. I went PayPal for the sole purpose of funds being instantly withdrawn and not having to deal with said processor.

Really hope you guys get this all straightened out.

Is it USB 2.0 or 3.0?

USB 2.0

I don't know why they didn't go USB 3.0, especially considering it's only using one port (compared to the Rift's 1 port for headset, 1 port per camera so a total of 3 USB 3.0 ports once Touch is released). There's multiple examples already showing it's running into bandwidth issues. Enabling the on-board camera already seems to push it to its limits. Leap Motion devs already recommend NOT using the on-headset USB port because the USB connection is already starved for bandwidth and it causes issues when you have a Leap as well (which is why if you buy a Leap they send you a 15 foot cable so you plug it in directly to your PC and not the headset which would only need like a 6 inch cable).

Plus, if they would have used USB 3.0 they could have potentially used the higher power draw allowed in that so they wouldn't need external power to the breakout box which would have eliminated another cable.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'm so damn tired. After playing SPT and Hover Junkers I'm almost dead. The good news is that I'm getting good at aiming. At least in HJ. I don't waste the bullets, I improved my hitting rate a lot. I still need to duck and take cover and that means that my feet are now feeling it to the max. But it is crazy fun. I don't even like shooters that much, but this is a new genre practically.

I'm so damn tired. After playing SPT and Hover Junkers I'm almost dead. The good news is that I'm getting good at aiming. At least in HJ. I don't waste the bullets, I improved my hitting rate a lot. I still need to duck and take cover and that means that my feet are now feeling it to the max. But it is crazy fun. I don't even like shooters that much, but this is a new genre practically.

I remember playing a light gun game in the arcade where you had to physically duck to hide behind cover, the next day I felt like I had ran a marathon (admittedly I don't work out and will only run if my life depended on it). I dread to think what my body is going to do when my Vive gets here.

USB 2.0

I don't know why they didn't go USB 3.0, especially considering it's only using one port (compared to the Rift's 1 port for headset, 1 port per camera so a total of 3 USB 3.0 ports once Touch is released). There's multiple examples already showing it's running into bandwidth issues. Enabling the on-board camera already seems to push it to its limits. Leap Motion devs already recommend NOT using the on-headset USB port because the USB connection is already starved for bandwidth and it causes issues when you have a Leap as well (which is why if you buy a Leap they send you a 15 foot cable so you plug it in directly to your PC and not the headset which would only need like a 6 inch cable).

Plus, if they would have used USB 3.0 they could have potentially used the higher power draw allowed in that so they wouldn't need external power to the breakout box which would have eliminated another cable.

I could have sworn I read somewhere it was due to length limitations. I could be very wrong though.

Compsiox

Banned
Wrap the breakout box in foil? I can't see why wifi should cause a problem - only the controllers should be using wireless to transmit back to the headset(?) and the headset itself is sending data back to the PC over a cable - likewise with the video signal. So is the breakout box just badly shielded or something?

You'd think this would be diagnosable - anyone fancy trying to get to the bottom of it?

It was the problem I had. I fixed it by disabling the express slot wifi adapter. The cables are running at maximum strength so they're very sensitive to IEM.

taoofjord

Well I pushed through the motion sickness and got better adjusted. Still have a slight lingering ehh feeling (and numerous droped frame notifications) but my wife and I just played for 4 or 5 hours. We played SPT, Audioshield, TheBlu, and Tilt Brush. They're all great. Audioshield is perhaps the big standout so far. It's a legit good game and with a good song... man do you get into it. We cracked each other up with all our yelling and flailing around. Totally exhilirating. I really want to play The Lab and Job Simulator but they run poorly on my machine. Hopefully some of the stuff people mentioned below will help.

And I'll just echo my feeling on the Vive from when I tried it last fall. It's flat out mind blowing. I love this thing to death.

Oh, another question... aside from setting the computer and my GPU's power manamgent to High performance are there any other recommended tweaks to my computer or SteamVR settings?

It's not your video card, I can tell you that.

Are you implying it's the CPU or just saying my GPU is sufficient? :p

Are there a lot of glass or reflective surfaces in your room?

Did you take off the clear plastic film from the lighthouses?

Nope, no glass/reflective surfaces. Took all the plastic off. Good reminders though!

Definitely. I disabled mine and have been completely flawless. The controller jitter idk but it's most likely causing the display to stop displaying footage.

I'll try this tonight, thanks!

Any chance you have an Xbox with Kinect turned on in the room?

I do! I'll unplug it and report back! Great catch.

Wow, its not cool seeing bunch of people having dead pixels on $800 vive's.

I wonder if the screens are the source of component shortages, and they are letting through several bad pixel ones to keep up with demand.

"Wow, its not cool seeing bunch of people having dead pixels on $800 vive's.

I wonder if the screens are the source of component shortages, and they are letting through several bad pixel ones to keep up with demand."

Vive isn't having component shortages so far as I know? They're having order and credit card processing issues.

Yeah, after looking into it a bit more I found out that USB 3.0 passive only has full assurance for 3 meters, the Vive cable is 5 meters. So I guess when taking roomscale into account that explains why they only provide a USB 2.0 cable with the headset even though it has a 3.0 port built in. I suppose they could have built a repeater hub into the breakout box but that would have ultimately driven the price per unit up when the price is already high. You could set one up yourself I suppose. Has anyone tried this with an active 3.0 USB cable?

Yeah, after looking into it a bit more I found out that USB 3.0 passive only has full assurance for 3 meters, the Vive cable is 5 meters. So I guess when taking roomscale into account that explains why they only provide a USB 2.0 cable with the headset even though it has a 3.0 port built in. I suppose they could have built a repeater hub into the breakout box but that would have ultimately driven the price per unit up when the price is already high. You could set one up yourself I suppose. Has anyone tried this with an active 3.0 USB cable?

I assume plugging into a USB 3 port has no consequences for us though, right? I've never had a performance issue while using my Vive (other than the usual stuff everyone has) and it's plugged into one of my 3.0 ports.

So I moved my Vive over to my girlfriend's apartment because it's much larger. I noticed some dramatic tracking jitter and issues when I used these tripods I got off Amazon. The tripods seem to vibrate just a tiny tiny bit and it translates to jittery to tracking on the remotes and headset. I have them mounted on wall studs at home with zero issues. I had her hold one of the poles and I could physically see my left hand in job simulator stop jittering. To make things worse it also for some odd reason seemed to cause all sorts of random tracking drops for me. Brought it back home, put it back on the wall studs and it's back to normal..

So I moved my Vive over to my girlfriend's apartment because it's much larger. I noticed some dramatic tracking jitter and issues when I used these tripods I got off Amazon. The tripods seem to vibrate just a tiny tiny bit and it translates to jittery to tracking on the remotes and headset. I have them mounted on wall studs at home with zero issues. I had her hold one of the poles and I could physically see my left hand in job simulator stop jittering. To make things worse it also for some odd reason seemed to cause all sorts of random tracking drops for me. Brought it back home, put it back on the wall studs and it's back to normal..

yea I expected those would wobble at the top. If you really want a stable experience for traveling I'd recommend those ceiling anchor pole things.

I assume plugging into a USB 3 port has no consequences for us though, right? I've never had a performance issue while using my Vive (other than the usual stuff everyone has) and it's plugged into one of my 3.0 ports.

For some people it seems like it might be a problem, for some people it definitely isn't. One person was having issues and he solved them by using a 2.0 port instead.

It seems, unsurprisingly I might add, that releasing new hardware out into the wild has a lot of unforeseen variables in the PC space. Anyway, it's looking like these problems can be solved through USB 3.0 chipset compatibility updates that steam is working on.

Exuro

Thank you for this post. Was thinking of getting them for when I go to my parents place which is a lot larger. Now to finder some sturdier tripods. Anyone have recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom