• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monger

I finished setting up the Vive in its permanent home Saturday. I thought I'd share for anyone with a PC in a different room.

My PC is in a media closet so I installed active 10m USB 2, USB 3, and HDMI cables through the attic next to a bunch of other cables and near a few ceiling fans. The HDMI and USB 2 cables are from Monoprice. The USB 3 is cable matters brand from Amazon. Either USB cable works fine. The cables come down into a decora wallplate with monoprice connector inserts under the tv in the front of the room that the link box plugs into. The lighthouse boxes are ceiling mounted ~22 feet apart and connected via sync cable. I have the Vive connected to the PC using the HDMI port and am using an active DisplayPort to HDMI adapter to connect a receiver which connects to a tv and projector.

Outside of having to redo the floor calibration with a piece of paper under the controllers, I haven't had any tracking issues at all. From the wallplate to the link box and headset it is a pretty clear environment though without much for electronics or wires nearby. The install looks really clean and it's easy to just plug the Vive into the wall plate when I'm ready to play.

taoofjord

Just tried the Irrational Exuberance prologue... my god that was amazing! I can't wait for the full thing to come out. It might even be a better first-time VR showpiece than theBlu.

Just tried the Irrational Exuberance prologue... my god that was amazing! I can't wait for the full thing to come out. It might even be a better first-time VR showpiece than theBlu.
An advantage of theBlu is the shortness of the demo. less than 2 minutes for a compact experience that shows off roomscale and presence.

Evo X

Played Oculus Dream Deck and a few levels of Lucky's Tale on the Vive. Both worked flawlessly.

What other stuff can I try with the ReVive injector?

Mihos

Gold Member
Thank you for this post. Was thinking of getting them for when I go to my parents place which is a lot larger. Now to finder some sturdier tripods. Anyone have recommendations?

If it is any thing like my house, tripods simply won't work because it is the floor itself that 'gives' slightly as you move about... the taller the pole, the more that is amplified. If you have concrete floors, like in a basement, it probably won't hurt. But on my wood supported floors, wall mount is much better. Of course you still get a little wobble when a door is closed in the house

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
We had our first Vive dev kits arrive at the office today. Hopefully get the chance to try one out later in the week.

artsi

My Vive is coming today, YEAH!

As innovative tech as lighthouse is, looks like they have some serious usability limitations after all.

Any reports if the Oculus cameras suffer from same kind of jitter problems?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Thank you for this post. Was thinking of getting them for when I go to my parents place which is a lot larger. Now to finder some sturdier tripods. Anyone have recommendations?

A tripod that has a hook so you can ballast it will help dampen vibrations. Just hook a bag with some books or something to weigh it down

I'll reply you're awesome, but I don't have a VR HMD. I'm waiting on eye tracking/foveated rendering. This thread has got me feeling the itch though.

I can only really give it to someone who will actually use it for a Vive, specifically pre, as they don't get the bundle. If no one wants it by the end of the day with a pre then you can have it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What ships in the box to mount the lighthouses - screws/plugs etc? Want to be prepared in case I need to buy supplies

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I can only really give it to someone who will actually use it for a Vive, specifically pre, as they don't get the bundle. If no one wants it by the end of the day with a pre then you can have it.

Or, you could let someone have it who has a vive but hasn't received their code yet, on the agreement that they then pass their code on.

Nugg

I'm sure the question has already been answered multiple times, but do you think I can use longer HDMI and USB cables between my PC and the link box? I have a better play space but it's a little too far from my PC, like 8 feet

Nono, I wasn't asking for the code. I was just saying that's really cool of you to do. That's what I mean by I don't have a VR HMD. Sorry for the confusion.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
damn. In my haste to make space in my spare room, I turned a low cupboard on its side to make a tall one. Just realised that'll probably occlude a corner of my planned space, and it'll block my desk from the lighthouse I would use for seated stuff (although nothing is making me actually sit at my desk, I was hoping it'd be used for clamping a wheel or HOTAS too.

Need a rethink.

Also what diameter drill do you need for the supplied screws? May need a masonry bit so want to check if I have the right size.

Are there no demos to the games? TheBlu, Space Pirate Trainer, Apollo 11? I need to pay full price to see if I like them?

Well luckily refunds are pretty easy to get if you just want to try something out, which I think is fair enough since there seems to be a fair bit of price inflation around launch.

Are there no demos to the games? TheBlu, Space Pirate Trainer, Apollo 11? I need to pay full price to see if I like them?

There are no demos of those games. TheBlu is worth every penny if you plan on showing off the Vive to a few people. Had so much fun watching people's reaction to it. Great introduction to VR.

SPT is worth the money as a shooter. There is a free demo of Jeeboman , which is similar.

Demo of Budget cuts is probably the greatest thing I've played on my Vive. Can't wait for full game.

Space Pirate Trainer is so much better with two guns than with a gun and a shield.

but how far can you survive without a shield? I suppose it depends on the size of your play space and foot speed, but I feel like around wave 15 the enemy ships come out firing and not having a shield is game-losing given how long it takes to register a kill.

also, aiming down site with the charge pistol is quite legit. Do recommend.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
but how far can you survive without a shield? I suppose it depends on the size of your play space and foot speed, but I feel like around wave 15 the enemy ships come out firing and not having a shield is game-losing given how long it takes to register a kill.

also, aiming down site with the charge pistol is quite legit. Do recommend.

Yeah, without a shield you have to constantly move, practically. But when you get those 1-2 combos it is so sweet.

spekkeh

Banned
Ah crap, was away (in cyberspace) and now bought TheBlu. Oh well, might as well buy something. Normally I'm not this stingy (I don't want to see my gearvr bill), but the Vive is actually for work, so that's why I was a bit less inclined to spend my own money initially.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ah crap, was away (in cyberspace) and now bought TheBlu. Oh well, might as well buy something. Normally I'm not this stingy (I don't want to see my gearvr bill), but the Vive is actually for work, so that's why I was a bit less inclined to spend my own money initially.

work expenses for research..

artsi

It's here!

But the cat owns it now :(

aZqObHB.jpg

IMACOMPUTA

I have been trying to get the Vive to work (at all) for the last hour. It shows an image half-the-time on The Lab boot but then light switches to red and it turns off. It's tracking perfectly according to monitor image.
Try a different HDMI cord. Don't use any extenders. See if that helps. I had the same issue.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Pool Nation VR has made its appearance on Steam. Realising in April. Can't wait for this, it's looking really good. I anticipate at least one fall from leaning on the (virtual) table.

I'm sure the question has already been answered multiple times, but do you think I can use longer HDMI and USB cables between my PC and the link box? I have a better play space but it's a little too far from my PC, like 8 feet

In case you missed it.

I finished setting up the Vive in its permanent home Saturday. I thought I'd share for anyone with a PC in a different room.

My PC is in a media closet so I installed active 10m USB 2, USB 3, and HDMI cables through the attic next to a bunch of other cables and near a few ceiling fans. The HDMI and USB 2 cables are from Monoprice. The USB 3 is cable matters brand from Amazon. Either USB cable works fine. The cables come down into a decora wallplate with monoprice connector inserts under the tv in the front of the room that the link box plugs into. The lighthouse boxes are ceiling mounted ~22 feet apart and connected via sync cable. I have the Vive connected to the PC using the HDMI port and am using an active DisplayPort to HDMI adapter to connect a receiver which connects to a tv and projector.

Outside of having to redo the floor calibration with a piece of paper under the controllers, I haven't had any tracking issues at all. From the wallplate to the link box and headset it is a pretty clear environment though without much for electronics or wires nearby. The install looks really clean and it's easy to just plug the Vive into the wall plate when I'm ready to play.

Also this has a lot of good stuff. https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4dq00o/what_worked_for_me_extending_pc_vive_30_ft/?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom