• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wollan

Try a different HDMI cord. Don't use any extenders. See if that helps. I had the same issue.
None of my current HDMI's have a small enough head to fit into the front of the headset unfortunately but I might just pick up a cheap one tonight for testing.

I have sort of been thinking it's power fluctuations (tried different circuits) but the headset has had a sensitivity to being picked up as it usually switches off (and led goes red). Been very careful with how I winded up my cable and not stepping on it etc (and it was working perfectly for initial two hour session).

Anyways: I have a support ticket up with Steam w/diagnostics-file given. Will pick up small HDMI cable tonight.

My Vive is coming today, YEAH!

As innovative tech as lighthouse is, looks like they have some serious usability limitations after all.

Any reports if the Oculus cameras suffer from same kind of jitter problems?

So mad I didn't think to use Paypal. I might have had my Vive today :[

libertytoast

Neo Member
Finally got my Vive last night. Tried Audioshield first, and ended up so sucked in that I didn't play much else. Anybody have any recommendations of songs that work really well in the game?

I tried:

Wham City - Dan Deacon
Thunderstruck - AC/DC
FloriDada - Animal Collective
Duel of Fates - John Williams
A-Punk - Vampire Weekend
Get Got - Death Grips

and I had to sit down and cool off after because I got such a workout.

Lemonte

Anyone else having trouble starting the game in Holopoint? Yesterday it worked just fine but today when I shoot the cube to start the game nothing happens 99% of the time.

Compsiox

Banned
Finally got my Vive last night. Tried Audioshield first, and ended up so sucked in that I didn't play much else. Anybody have any recommendations of songs that work really well in the game?

I tried:

Wham City - Dan Deacon
Thunderstruck - AC/DC
A-Punk - Vampire Weekend
Get Got - Death Grips

Attack on titan theme and one punch man theme are the best for the game.

Jams775

So what's the consensus on the foam padding and the need to get covers?

It looks like those ones you can buy are back ordered until May. I was thinking of getting an old undershirt and just making something that can sit over the foam, or maybe going to a fabric store and trying to make my own.

I'm probably going to be the only one using it, but I live in a really hot part of California and it already hit 90 yesterday and I was sweating without doing anything.

None of my current HDMI's have a small enough head to fit into the front of the headset unfortunately but I might just pick up a cheap one tonight for testing.

I have sort of been thinking it's power fluctuations (tried different circuits) but the headset has had a sensitivity to being picked up as it usually switches off (and led goes red). Been very careful with how I winded up my cable and not stepping on it etc (and it was working perfectly for initial two hour session).

Anyways: I have a support ticket up with Steam w/diagnostics-file given. Will pick up small HDMI cable tonight.

Something stupid that keeps happening to me causing the exact same power off situation is that for some reason if the breakout box is tugged this happens:

YBvEjpP.jpg

A few times its been so slight I didn't notice it. It'll work fine for even intensive hover Junkers sessions and just randomly turn off if I moved the wrong way.

Cimarron

I tried:

Wham City - Dan Deacon
Thunderstruck - AC/DC
A-Punk - Vampire Weekend
Get Got - Death Grips

Apparently I need to by audioshield.

It looks like those ones you can buy are back ordered until May. I was thinking of getting an old undershirt and just making something that can sit over the foam, or maybe going to a fabric store and trying to make my own.

I'm probably going to be the only one using it, but I live in a really hot part of California and it already hit 90 yesterday and I was sweating without doing anything.

When my Vive arrives my wife is going to make the measurements for making your own cover and I will post it here.

Just got back home with my Vive!

Time to eat some dinner and then break this bad boy out!

You may want to eat after... lol

I would order them.. The cover does get moist. Until then easiest thing that works is a headband with holes cut out.

I tried:

Wham City - Dan Deacon
Thunderstruck - AC/DC
A-Punk - Vampire Weekend
Get Got - Death Grips

Holy crap....

<< goes to play audioshield.

Anyone else having trouble starting the game in Holopoint? Yesterday it worked just fine but today when I shoot the cube to start the game nothing happens 99% of the time.

Yeah I had this same issue at the weekend. I just had to keep spamming arrows at the cube until it worked, hopefully the dev is aware of it.

Haint

Something stupid that keeps happening to me causing the exact same power off situation is that for some reason if the breakout box is tugged this happens:

YBvEjpP.jpg

A few times its been so slight I didn't notice it. It'll work fine for even intensive hover Junkers sessions and just randomly turn off if I moved the wrong way.

Yea beta HW is beta. Anyone testing this shit for more than an hour in the real world would have seen the power connector should have been designed to require like 20 lbs of force to insert or remove.

Yea beta HW is beta. Anyone testing this shit for more than an hour in the real world would have seen the power connector should have been designed to require like 20 lbs of force to insert or remove.
The worst part about it is how well the Vive works when it just barely is lose. It can really give you the impression it's a software issue. Especially since my first indication was a weird dropping into that grey loss of tracking zone followed by eventually seemingly random shutdowns.

Yoritomo

I tried:

Wham City - Dan Deacon
Thunderstruck - AC/DC
A-Punk - Vampire Weekend
Get Got - Death Grips

I'd suggest big punchy/percussive classical pieces as well.

Holst - Mars, bringer of war is my personal favorite.

Edit: Yeah noticed the John Williams up there.

IMACOMPUTA

The worst part about it is how well the Vive works when it just barely is lose. It can really give you the impression it's a software issue. Especially since my first indication was a weird dropping into that grey loss of tracking zone followed by eventually seemingly random shutdowns.

Thought i just found the source of my issues..

But it's all the way plugged in on all sides :(

Cartman86

Banned

YBvEjpP.jpg

Yep bad design.

Zalusithix

Hmm, I guess I'll be printing out a magnetic cable restrainer to mitigate this potential downfall. One part will be fixed to the breakout box, and the other to the cable. The two halves will magnetically latch together and have a slight bit of cable slack stored between the box/cable mount points. In order to have any force on the connectors at the box, enough pull force will have to be exerted on the cable to break the magnetic link between the two parts. By choosing the magnets and altering the minimum distance between them I should be able to get any level of retention I want.

Hmm, I guess I'll be printing out a magnetic cable restrainer to mitigate this potential downfall. One part will be fixed to the breakout box, and the other to the cable. The two halves will magnetically latch together and have a slight bit of cable slack stored between the box/cable mount points. In order to have any force on the connectors at the box, enough pull force will have to be exerted on the cable to break the magnetic link between the two parts. By choosing the magnets and altering the minimum distance between them I should be able to get any level of retention I want.

That sounds awesome. Maybe overkill, but awesome!

Zalusithix

That sounds awesome. Maybe overkill, but awesome!

It's actually incredibly simple from a design standpoint and should cost under $5 to make including the magnets. As a bonus, it'll kill two birds with one stone for me because I can make the box end clip onto the box itself to act as a hangar/retention device. So instead of having to put mounting tape/velcro on the box itself to keep it from moving, I can just put that on the cable retainer piece instead.

jaypah

So currently my 290x is hooked to the TV through its HDMI port and hooked to my DK2 through the DP (the wire from the DK2 is HDMI but it came with a DP adapter). If I want to leave my TV in the HDMI port, what do I need to hook the Vive to the DP port?

Zalusithix

So currently my 290x is hooked to the TV through its HDMI port and hooked to my DK2 through the DP (the wire from the DK2 is HDMI but it came with a DP adapter). If I want to leave my TV in the HDMI port, what do I need to hook the Vive to the DP port?

A DP to mini DP cable.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
in steam, is there any way to get all the VR compatible software listed together - there is a steamVR list under games, but another one under software, where I have Tilt Brush, Virtual Desktop and Jaunt VR.

Qassim

in steam, is there any way to get all the VR compatible software listed together - there is a steamVR list under games, but another one under software, where I have Tilt Brush, Virtual Desktop and Jaunt VR.

Click on SteamVR here:
BfFTvOJ.png

Lists out everything, software, tools & games.

NQVe0Te.png

you can right click and set categories on anything in steam

can you add things to steamvr or is it not an editable group?

Compsiox

Banned
I'd say that it's better to be able to tug the cords out of the link box than tugging on the cables and having them rip eventually.

Wollan

YBvEjpP.jpg

Wow... it's starting up fine now. Maybe this is it?
It was like 0.5mm out, barely noticable. I have reconnected it many times but I'm guessing just a subtle jank (more like: merely moving the breakout box on purpose even) will do this. No force needed. 2nd edit: It even pushes itself out over time if horizontal.

I don't dear hope just yet. Going to follow ninjaboyjohn's tip on taping it.

edit: I didn't have masking tape (and normal transparent tape didn't seem to do the job well enough) so this was my final solution:

Keeps it from pushing itself out as there's a slight coil with downwards force towards breakout box. The extended cable is also firmly attached at another point just outside image.

Wow... it's starting up fine now. Maybe this is it?
It was like 0.5mm out. I have reconnected it many times but I'm guessing just a subtle jank would have undone this?

I don't dear hope just yet. Going to follow ninjaboyjohn's tip on taping it.

Well glad I could help if it does end up working. I just ended up making sure I keep the breakout snug before and after every session.

charpunk

Drove over a hour with a friend to check the demo at a Microsoft store who said they were running it all day. We get there and employees were "training" and it wouldn't be available until tomorrow. Thankfully we found a gamestop with one.

So worth the drive. I was worried about the sde but barely noticed it. While I was there I received my tracking number from fedex. Can't wait until Thursday now.

Wollan

Well glad I could help if it does end up working. I just ended up making sure I keep the breakout snug before and after every session.
I also just noticed that it pushes itself out right now slowly. The Vive is from the future but it's definitely 'beta' hardware.

Going through all these games, makes you realise how important high levels of AA is, games just look so much clearer, they really need to add it as an option to all games going forward. Textures have to be really high quality too, Valves postcards look way nicer than Realities.

Zalusithix

Fine my point is it'd be more harmful if they didn't get tugged out :p
The goal is to get to a point where the cables detach before damaging anything, but still have enough retention force that small forces don't cause them to wiggle loose. Too much retention and things get damaged. To little and the connections become flaky and unreliable. HTC's solution errs a bit too much to the later apparently. From a liability standpoint this works in their favor, but from a reliability standpoint it's not ideal.

cakefoo

Is there any way to get through the SteamVR setup if I can't have my monitor and Vive connected to my GPU at the same time? Otherwise I'll run to Best Buy to get a DVI adapter.

Is there any way to get through the SteamVR setup if I can't have my monitor and Vive connected to my GPU at the same time? Otherwise I'll run to Best Buy to get a DVI adapter.

Well...you're going to need to have access to both your monitor and HMD at the same time regardless for a whole bunch of reasons. So yea, just make that trip now.

Evo X

My mom just tried the Vive. She loves it!

She was laughing during the VR tutorial with the personality core. Then blown away by the blu.

She's never played a video game before but picked up the controls instantly by herself.

She tried Audioshield and says she wants to play it everyday.

She was extremely wary because of the motion sickness she got from my Oculus DK2 years ago. But I had to pry her off it now. She said it actually made her feel better. More active and alert. Her headache disappeared.

She also wants to design dresses in Tilt brush. Lol

I've always been a techie my whole life but have never seen enthusiasm from her towards any of it until now. The Vive is truly magical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom