• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wollan

Just went through all The Lab minigames. Amazing stuff.
I had no idea how well the haptic feedback of the Vive controllers would sell the experience. The bow and arrow minigame feels and controls perfectly.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
My mom just tried the Vive. She loves it!

She was laughing during the VR tutorial with the personality core. Then blown away by the blu.

She's never played a video game before but picked up the controls instantly by herself.

She tried Audioshield and says she wants to play it everyday.

She was extremely wary because of the motion sickness she got from my Oculus DK2 years ago. But I had to pry her off it now. She said it actually made her feel better. More active and alert. Her headache disappeared.

She also wants to design dresses in Tilt brush. Lol

I've always been a techie my whole life but have never seen enthusiasm from her towards any of it until now. The Vive is truly magical.

One of the trends I'm noticing from people I'm showing it to is that they actually love playing games in it, and before they absolutely hated the concept of video games in general.

Quite a few of them played through the entirety of The Gallery, and wanted more immediately.

This could be a massive inflation of the potential audience for games once these things become cheaper.

King_Moc

Banned
I'm really tempted to order one, but i'm worried i'll end up shelving it quickly as none of the games currently available look like they'd interest me all that much. Is there any word on any more traditional retail titles supporting this, or even being modded to work with it? I did search a bit, but couldn't really find anything.

Oh, and can someone who'd deem themselves an IQ obsessive give an opinion on the iq of the screen? I'm talking screen door, blur and pixel size. Thanks. I've only tried PSVR and DK2 and found them a bit lacking in those respects.

A SMALL PSA TO THOSE JUST GETTING THEIR VIVES, regarding headstrap positioning and comfort:

It seems lots have made the mistake of adjusting the head straps poorly resulting in poor comfort or tightness issues. I'd like to mention a few things here right now to help you avoid that.

First up: THE WRONG WAY.
C66eAnD.png

(henceforth referred to as: figure A1
and A2
)​

This is the incorrect way to configure your straps. If your straps are so low that they are cutting into your ears in that wedge where glasses arms would sit (fig. A2), you've done it wrong and the side straps will begin to irritate your ears. If it's so low it's covering half your ears as you try to make it cup the back of your noggin (fig. A1), you've done it wrong. This HMD is not designed to sit on the back of your head like we see in fig. A1, and it's a popular mistake being made because that's how the Oculus Rift's strap is worn.

You'll also note in the "too tight" version (fig. A2), the HMD is actually pulling itself down. This is happening because the HMD's side straps are pulling so tightly that the whole unit angles down and/or because the top strap is too loose to compensate for the tension. Not only is this uncomfortable (leading to reduced circulation and eventual headaches), but it can result in decreased field of view and clarity.

Either of these will result in a degraded experience for you, your friends and family and will irritate your ears once you've put on your on-ear or over-the-ear headphones for any length of time. Avoid these at all costs.

Next up: THE RIGHT WAY.

fZtjkyC.jpg

(henceforth referred to as: figure B)

This is the correct way to configure your straps. You'll note the back harness is situated around the top back of your head. This is in stark contrast to the Oculus Rift which is designed to cup the back of your head where it starts to curve in (Occipital bone, for the medically-initiated). This is the positional mistake seen in fig. A1. On the HTC Vive, you'll know the back harness is in the right position when the side straps clear your ears (as seen in fig. B). Clearing your ears is the easiest indicator of successful positioning. Rub your fingers against the length of the bottom of the side straps. If you don't touch your ears, you're good there. Adjust to top strap when the HMD is on to ensure the HMD isn't sagging down (or being pulled down) and be sure to adjust the sides if you're finding them too tight or loose to taste.

Do these things and you'll avoid the "why is this so uncomfortable!" / "omg Rift is soooo much more comfortable" phase that the rest of us went through on launch day. I read concern posts daily around the web on this, so I thought I'd be helpful to address it in full here right now. May be worth adding the video below to the OP or something so people don't miss it.

Video for reference (do watch for additional clarity if needed): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnjRogcSPhc

TL;DR -
read it, goddamnit. and enjoy yourselves.​

A good demonstration of why the Vive is such a pain in the ass to work out how to wear comfortably and adjust. I didn't need a video to show me how to put on a Rift properly. I hope they go with something closer to the Rift for the second revision.

A good demonstration of why the Vive is such a pain in the ass to work out how to wear comfortably and adjust. I didn't need a video to show me how to put on a Rift properly. I hope they go with something closer to the Rift for the second revision.

It's really here nor there. Like most things in the Vive setup process, do it right once and you don't have to do it again. I haven't touched my straps since the second day when I figured out what I was doing wrong with it.

I am willing to bet almost everything I own you won't have to wait that long for third or even first party head strap replacements.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Comfort isn't the concern for me as much as knowing what's ideal. I could get it comfortable, but I don't know what "right" is supposed to look like because I haven't really experienced "right" before. I don't know what artifacts are limitations of the technology, and what are results of improperly wearing it. That's where the frustration comes from. I think I've got it good now though.

I am willing to bet almost everything I own you won't have to wait that long for third or even first party head strap replacements.

agreed. there is no need for a wait for a "second generation". It's just a harness that can be removed just as easily as it can be adjusted. Personally, I don't see the demand since I haven't had comfort issues since day 1, but if the demand is there there is no reason for some entrepreneurial spirit to not make something different. Hell, HTC may offer a revised strap at a reasonable price a few months down the line.

Wollan

The headphones on the Oculus Rift is it's best standout feature. It's really practical and needs to become standard for all HMD's going forward.

I'll buy a headphone-headstrap combo the second it becomes available for Vive.

It's really here nor there. Like most things in the Vive setup process, do it right once and you don't have to do it again. I haven't touched my straps since the second day when I figured out what I was doing wrong with it.
Well that hasn't really been my experience, but I guess with something this everyone is going to have a different experience with it. Maybe I've been spoiled by the comfort of the Rift, I guess if I wasn't constantly comparing them I would have noticed it as much.

The headphones on the Oculus Rift is it's best standout feature. It's really practical and needs to become standard for all HMD's going forward.

I'd prefer it didn't. But that's because my headphones are better than anything any of these companies would build in. I'd rather have the cost savings.

Well that hasn't really been my experience, but I guess with something this everyone is going to have a different experience with it. Maybe I've been spoiled by the comfort of the Rift, I guess if I wasn't constantly comparing them I would have noticed it as much.

word. yea, could be. all I can say is it takes me about 10 seconds to pull up the harness, put the hmd on my face, slide the harness down into place and adjust the HMD to its final position and I don't feel the need to fidget with it or touch it for the duration of my seated gaming experiences which is usually an hour or more.

Room scale is different because all the turning and flying around mean it's going to shift a little ocassionally after which i may readjust it on my face. Comfort is never an issue for me, though I can understand if you find it less convenient.

I'd prefer it didn't. But that's because my headphones are better than anything any of these companies would build in. I'd rather have the cost savings.

This. Or least make it flipping optional before we buy. I don't/can't use open back headphones as well in my current situation for various privacy reasons.

Afrikan

from everything I've read so far, although I have tried on the PSVR. but it seems like the crown approach might be best when it comes to comfort.

Sony-Playstation-VR-Corporate-VR-Production.png

I think StarVR is also taking this approach. So I would think if anything... Vive and Rift's second revision will be similar...if not improve on it.

edit- yup

Project-StarVR-HMD.png

from everything I've read so far, although I have tried on the PSVR. but it seems like the crown approach might be best when it comes to comfort.

I think StarVR is also taking this approach. So I would think if anything... Vive and Rift's second revision will be similar...if not improve on it.
I don't see any reason the current Vive can't get a harness just like this if the demand is there.

edit- yup

Project-StarVR-HMD.png

As long as it can stay snug on my head while I am dip, duck, diving and dodging around in my roomscale experiences then I'm all for it. Is the PSVR designed to do that?

So finally had time to play with my Vive! (was sitting in its box since friday :X).

Setup was rather easy, took me about a short hour to get everything ready, and that's only because one controler wouldn't synch at first (would have been 45 mins otherwise).

Coming from the DK2, with low expectations regarding SDE, I was happily surprised: feels like 2x less SDE, really nice. Sweet spot is still a bit small for my liking, but that might have to do with the fact that I haven't spend time with the ipd knob (how come there's no integrated software to help you mesure it?) and that I haven't fine tuned the straps yet.

Anyways. The Lab is as amazing as everyone said. Vanishing realms is great, but made me realise my play area is smaller than I would like it to be. Hover Junkers didn't disapoint: great fun, amazing sence of presence...and difficult! Really can see myslef playing that one everyday.
So many great games to try next, feeling as excited as when I got my N64.

Here's a fun new quirk i just noticed - the lighthouses seem to be messing up the connection between my Apple TV and a Bluetooth speaker. While they were on, it was constantly, the speaker was constantly losing its connection. Weird.

viveks86

She said it actually made her feel better. More active and alert. Her headache disappeared.

This actually happened to me as well. I was feeling so lazy, had a headache and zero incentive to play video games. Then I thought I'd play something relaxing like light repair team. Soon enough I was hooked and playing game after game. Next thing I know, my headache was gone and I even followed up with rock climbing! The day the vive revived vivek... Heh.

Dmax3901

I really should stop coming here.

At launch I was like FUCK IT I'm gonna get one, then I talked myself out of it (shipping costs in Australia are hefty) but every time I come in here I read people saying it's like the N64 all over again and I get the itch again.

Compsiox

Banned

At launch I was like FUCK IT I'm gonna get one, then I talked myself out of it (shipping costs in Australia are hefty) but every time I come in here I read people saying it's like the N64 all over again and I get the itch again.

Do it. Make yourself happy.

Monger

I grabbed Final Approach before it went off sale. I wasn't too sure about this one, but it's really well done and like most things VR, is a lot more fun than the video looks. There is just something so joyful about having the diorama in front of you and the little planes and helicopters buzzing around your head. The switching to first person helps break things up, but I could do without the air horn to scare off the pigeons.

I only played through the first handful of levels because I wanted to finish the Gallery, but it was really polished and there is a good bit of variety.

As someone who has owned a dk1, and a gearVR for a while now I'll say seated VR has its place for stuff like cockpits. But roomscale the blu VR deep sea or the amusement of job simulator in the ways it tricks your brain you realllly can't recreate those on any other "gaming" platform.

All its going to take is one very well polished story driven game to make this amazing. A lot of what we are seeing now are quickly tossed together mobile style games that don't combine the elements the Vive has going for it into one package. Even then I say it's worth buying, those little snippets of potential can provide hours and hours of fun on their own.

I'll buy a headphone-headstrap combo the second it becomes available for Vive.

I'm not sure about that at all. Putting the earbuds between the straps down the middle of each on each side is about perfect.

Evo X

Ugghh.... Windlands is the first game to give me motion sickness.

Makes sense as it's the first thing I tried that was designed around traditional joystick navigation.

That disconnect between virtual and real life movement is too much for me.

I feel like hurling. Anybody have any advice for what I should do or anything I can take to help?

Noogy

Makes sense as it's the first thing I tried that was designed around traditional joystick navigation.

I feel like hurling. Anybody have any advice for what I should do or anything I can take to help?

Ginger ale helps. Enough to force yourself to burp. And fresh air.

YuShtink

About how long is the current version of Vanishing Realms? I played for maybe 20-30 mins and it was so amazing I don't want it to end.

EDIT: Nevermind I just saw on it's Steam Page that it's 2 chapters, about 1.5-2 hours. Damn, I already know that's not going to be enough...

I need a massive VR RPG like this in my life, PRONTO.

Evo X

Ginger ale helps. Enough to force yourself to burp. And fresh air.

Cool. I'll go get some. Thank god for Steam's refund policy. I've got a pretty strong stomach for this kind of stuff, but can't imagine how people are playing this without wanting to throw up.

Didn't have a hint of motion sickness in any of the other 16 experiences I've tried.

Put a lot of box fans around yourself to simulate the "whooshing" through the air.

Cool. I'll go get some. Thank god for Steam's refund policy. I've got a pretty strong stomach for this kind of stuff, but can't imagine how people are playing this without wanting to throw up.

Didn't have a hint of motion sickness in any of the other 16 experiences I've tried.

Don't know why, but I have the urge to try the game now just to see how I'd react. Dumb, huh?

hmm (this is the post that makes it through?! ugh this is my third time writing this... I give up)

play windlands. keep windlands. you'll be sick first two days of 5-10minutes playing. then it's not that bad in 10-20min spurts.

it's worth it for the swinging

kaskade

Sorry to hear that. Motion sickness really sucks. People who don't get it usually think you can puke and be fine. That shit is no fun. It can put you out of commission for a while. It can take me hours to feel better. Besides some prescription stuff that you usually take before you might get sick, Ginger might help your stomach a bit.

artsi

I had a 6 hour play session with my new Vive yesterday. I'm impressed but man, the comfort really wasn't that good.

First off it's heavy, and I felt the adjustments are lacking. I managed somehow as I have a larger head, but it was always pushing on my GF's cheeks and it hurt so she could not keep it on for long. Tightening the top strap would have fixed it, but there's not enough velcro to make it tight enough :/

The earburds were good quality but the cord is too short for me, it was always pulling from somewhere.

Anyway it was a fun experience, played the Lab demos and Tilt Brush. Room scale is amazing but I quickly noticed that I have a too small VR room.

I had a 6 hour play session with my new Vive yesterday. I'm impressed but man, the comfort really wasn't that good.

First off it's heavy, and I felt the adjustments are lacking. I managed somehow as I have a larger head, but it was always pushing on my GF's cheeks and it hurt so she could not keep it on for long. Tightening the top strap would have fixed it, but there's not enough velcro to make it tight enough :/

The earburds were good quality but the cord is too short for me, it was always pulling from somewhere.

Anyway it was a fun experience, played the Lab demos and Tilt Brush. Room scale is amazing but I quickly noticed that I have a too small VR room.
All the problems you mention can be fixed probably with some more adjustments except the last. Sadly you do need a good bit of room for some games.

Has anyone here tried my Chunks coaster?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=667173893

I was looking forward to some feedback from at least people on steam but all the comments have been mostly nonsense.

Tonight I'm going to fiddle with the new coaster tool
I played over an hour of windlands and have a tolerance to vr wooziness.
-the 'start' gave me the most feeling of motion. slowly going up, big view of cave seeing what turns i'm doing.
-a left turn before the cave has some quick lumps/jagginess that makes me feel sick. I had to take a break afterwards and I think it's that quick bump.
-the actual cave part doesn't give me a lot of feeling of motion. even the loops did nothing. I think because your vision is obscured by the cave, your brain has nothing to go off of to give you strange feelings. I think if you hollow out your cave more you will see what curves/loops you're doing and thus your brain will give you the appropriate feelings.
-I think your coaster is mostly polished. I bought/played the game on your recommendation a few days ago and didn't like it. I made one roller coaster and it was super lumpy and the turns were jerky. felt terrible. and I was too lazy to fix it. you put the effort to make your coaster smooth (except that one part i mentioned) and it shows.
-just put something to show motion inside the cave or the loops. like if you can't hollow it out so you see everything, how about putting a + between each loop (one pillar from the floor to the ceiling, and one pillar from one wall to the other), thus you would seethe pillars going by you and your brain will realize you're doing loops.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I need to finalise what I'm doing with my lighthouses because my vive is coming today and they'll be wall mounted. Here is my layout (everything scrunched to one side of the room to make space)

Now I'd really like 3m x 2m, but I have a beam across the room that drops the ceiling height to 2.05m, and it's 42cm across. I have power in all corners except the one with the door. First I need to consider if that beam is too low and I'll hit it all the time. If I think it's ok, my next concern is occlusion. I can't put the lighthouses up high because they wouldn't see each other and the left lighthouse would likely be blocked from seeing my head when walking around in the right hand area, and the right lighthouse might be blocked when I'm over on the left. So I could out them lower down so they can see my head across the whole area (probably be around halfway up the wall), and be ready to connect via sync cable because otherwise my body is likely to block them from syncing via light (might get away with it though). My PC desk looks doomed as the tall bookshelf will block visibility and I can't easily remove or lower that without blocking me in. If I payed it safe and went for 2x2, I could probably put the shelf lower along the back wall and then I might be able to also track my desk..

soo - should I play safe and go for 2x2m, or push for 3x2?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I hope and expect mods to come out for vive. They add that triangular area like the rift so people will naturally assume that hooks around your head's tailbone. That last pic looks like it's about to come off too, so people probably don't put it like that because it feels odd.

artsi

All the problems you mention can be fixed probably with some more adjustments except the last. Sadly you do need a good bit of room for some games.

Well the problem in my GF's case is that there's no more room for adjustments, the top strap is as tight as it goes but it would need to be tighter for it to be comfortable :/

Maybe it can be worked around by putting on a beanie or something, but if they only made the velcro strip a bit longer it would not be an issue.

The best hope would be if someone will start selling alternative straps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom