• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Well the problem in my GF's case is that there's no more room for adjustments, the top strap is as tight as it goes but it would need to be tighter for it to be comfortable :/

Maybe it can be worked around by putting on a beanie or something, but if they only made the velcro strip a bit longer it would not be an issue.

The best hope would be if someone will start selling alternative straps.

Have you tried moving the back strap lower? And use the other foam padding? My girlfriend had the same issue. First I helped her set it up but in the end she found herself a position with which she is comfortable.

artsi

Have you tried moving the back strap lower? And use the other foam padding? My girlfriend had the same issue. First I helped her set it up but in the end she found herself a position with which she is comfortable.

I haven't tried the other foam yet, I thought it was the same size as the other. I'll try it today.

How good are the revive enabled games? Limited like vorpx or pretty much as good as official support would be? Curious for defence grid. Want to try project cars but really want a wheel for that and ETS. That mod works on th steam versions?

According to reports on Reddit, they are excellent. But it wouldn't make sense to buy them for a bunch of reasons.

hmm (this is the post that makes it through?! ugh this is my third time writing this... I give up)

play windlands. keep windlands. you'll be sick first two days of 5-10minutes playing. then it's not that bad in 10-20min spurts.

it's worth it for the swinging

This.
I bought windlands and nearly barfed the first time I had a go. Turned it off and thought about a refund.

Tried again the next day, and had to brace my self for jumping, as it caused a lurching in my stomach every time.

But it's weird, after 5-10 mins you sort of get your VR legs, and the sensation became more of a nice roller coaster stomach feeling than one of barfing(if that makes sense).

When I finished the first section and got my swing ropes! Omg it is amazing. I was giggling as I was swinging through the trees!

The only problem I have now is one of nearly falling over when I land from swinging because of the feeling of inertia.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I refunded Windlands. Because I have a lot of games to play in VR already, so I don't have to force myself through vomiting and dizziness to have fun in VR.

JackDT

OHhh...

Unofficial hack build of Minecrift, which is already an unofficial hack of VR support in Minecraft. Looks awesome!

http://kotaku.com/minecraft-in-virtual-reality-is-the-real-deal-1771828289

w59lfuaprvegm1jwpprc.gif

artsi

It was pretty awesome when I first time played the mountain Lab demo and was standing on a ledge. I knew that there's floor in front of me, but I just could not step forward, my subconscious part of the brain was sure that I would fall down if I did that.

Same with walking through walls, etc. you know you can do it, but it's just not natural and you won't.

GF was legit freaked out at first when she was holding the controllers, thinking her hands were missing.

Could someone help me out and tell me how to claim a refund on Steam? Gonna get rid of Windlands as I can't get it to run properly, just so I don't have to mess around with Steam later! Cheers

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Could someone help me out and tell me how to claim a refund on Steam? Gonna get rid of Windlands as I can't get it to run properly, just so I don't have to mess around with Steam later! Cheers

On the game page in the Steam Library click on Support then choose the option that applies and the request a refund.

Compsiox

Banned
I played over an hour of windlands and have a tolerance to vr wooziness.
-the 'start' gave me the most feeling of motion. slowly going up, big view of cave seeing what turns i'm doing.
-a left turn before the cave has some quick lumps/jagginess that makes me feel sick. I had to take a break afterwards and I think it's that quick bump.
-the actual cave part doesn't give me a lot of feeling of motion. even the loops did nothing. I think because your vision is obscured by the cave, your brain has nothing to go off of to give you strange feelings. I think if you hollow out your cave more you will see what curves/loops you're doing and thus your brain will give you the appropriate feelings.
-I think your coaster is mostly polished. I bought/played the game on your recommendation a few days ago and didn't like it. I made one roller coaster and it was super lumpy and the turns were jerky. felt terrible. and I was too lazy to fix it. you put the effort to make your coaster smooth (except that one part i mentioned) and it shows.
-just put something to show motion inside the cave or the loops. like if you can't hollow it out so you see everything, how about putting a + between each loop (one pillar from the floor to the ceiling, and one pillar from one wall to the other), thus you would seethe pillars going by you and your brain will realize you're doing loops.
Wow thanks a bunch!! This is just what I was looking for. I'll try to fix the stuff you mentioned later today. Glad you felt that its polished.

Durante

Every time I use my Vive I do so with the intention of launching one of the many games (or experiences) I haven't even tried yet.

Every time I think "let's play a song in Audioshield first". Then I think "another one can't hurt". And then suddenly my planned VR time is over and I spent the vast majority or all of it in Audioshield.

It's too damn compelling.

Every time I use my Vive I do so with the intention of launching one of the many games (or experiences) I haven't even tried yet.

Every time I think "let's play a song in Audioshield first". Then I think "another one can't hurt". And then suddenly my planned VR time is over and I spent the vast majority or all of it in Audioshield.

It's too damn compelling.

What shield do you prefer

Durante

What shield do you prefer
The default ones.

To be fair, I only tried the other two options for one song each, so I don't have a good basis for comparison. The nice thing about the default is that it's not too tall so it's relatively easy to see what's coming next regardless of shield position.

asker

With AudioShield, do you guys feel there is little difference between songs? It seems no matter what I plug in, be it metal or video game music, it gives me similar patterns and rhytms. Every experience feels the same. It couldn't hold my attention for very long for that reason.

With AudioShield, do you guys feel there is little difference between songs? It seems no matter what I plug in, be it metal or video game music, it gives me similar patterns and rhytms. Every experience feels the same. It couldn't hold my attention for very long for that reason.

I am having the complete opposite opinion. Odd. Even two songs back to back were different but kept up with beat

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I need to finalise what I'm doing with my lighthouses because my vive is coming today and they'll be wall mounted. Here is my layout (everything scrunched to one side of the room to make space)

Now I'd really like 3m x 2m, but I have a beam across the room that drops the ceiling height to 2.05m, and it's 42cm across. I have power in all corners except the one with the door. First I need to consider if that beam is too low and I'll hit it all the time. If I think it's ok, my next concern is occlusion. I can't put the lighthouses up high because they wouldn't see each other and the left lighthouse would likely be blocked from seeing my head when walking around in the right hand area, and the right lighthouse might be blocked when I'm over on the left. So I could out them lower down so they can see my head across the whole area (probably be around halfway up the wall), and be ready to connect via sync cable because otherwise my body is likely to block them from syncing via light (might get away with it though). My PC desk looks doomed as the tall bookshelf will block visibility and I can't easily remove or lower that without blocking me in. If I payed it safe and went for 2x2, I could probably put the shelf lower along the back wall and then I might be able to also track my desk..

soo - should I play safe and go for 2x2m, or push for 3x2?

anyone? I want to get drilling this afternoon.

taoofjord

Guys, the Vive is so freaking amazing! I've probably played with it for about 15 hours in under two days. I also happened to start working out again on Monday (back and biceps), my arms are so sore I can barely straighten them all the way but it hasn't stopped me yet!

There are so many fun games and experiences out already and more continually stealth release or are announced every day. We'll have no shortage of stuff to play if it continues at this rate. I still have a bunch of stuff left to try.

Standouts so far: The Lab, TheBlu, Job Simulator, Irrational Exuberance: Prologue, The Gallery, Space Pirate Trainer, Audioshield, Budget Cuts, Unseen Diplomacy, Tilt Brush

Other good stuff: The Cubicle, Out of Ammo, Vanishing Realms, Hot Dogs Horseshoes and Hand Grenades, Surgeon Simulator, Holopoint

Okay stuff or still undecided: Realities, Blarp!, SelfieTennis, Chunks, Final Approach

Stuff that I refunded or just didn't care for: Felt Tip Circus, Diorama #1, JauntVR, Jeeboman, Cloudlands: Mini Golf, Hover Junkers, Light Repair Team #4

Have yet to try: Apollo 11, La Peri, ModBox, Klepto, The Brookhaven Experiment, Andromedum, The Abbot's Book, The Visitor, Elite: Dangerous

Yeah, same. I've never really enjoyed rhythm games where the patterns are generated by algorithm, they really don't compare well with games where someone has had to programme an interesting and consistent pattern.

taoofjord

This is my experience, too. Some songs aren't great with the algorithms, but every song has felt different.

Granted my wife and I have only played for a total of maybe 40 minutes but we came away impressed with how well it integrated with the music. I do hope we get user created stuff down the road though!

Resseh

oooh it arrives tomorrow. im going to have to start moving around furniture and buying games. What are the top three games to buy? :O

Arulan

anyone? I want to get drilling this afternoon.

I'd definitely try for 3x2 meters. It's a significant difference. That said, are you tall enough, or is the beam low enough that you're likely to hit it with the controllers if you raise you hands up? You could also consider turning your computer desk up against the wall on its left, and move the shelf as well.

Tadie

oooh it arrives tomorrow. im going to have to start moving around furniture and buying games. What are the top three games to buy? :O

Mhhh maybe Audioshield, Space Pirate Trainer & The Gallery ..... but it depends on your preferences.

Resseh

thanks - ive never heard of the gallery before but that seems up my street. Apoliges if its been asked before, but how long until i receive the freebie games too?

SPT is essential. The Gallery I found a bit fiddly and didn't get on with the teleporting mechanic, so I got a refund on that one.
I'd actually recommend the Adventure Time game - it's nothing special, but it's cheap and a nice demo of how a seated, 3D adventure game can work. Although it's not as good as Lucky's Tale if you fancy trying to get that to work.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Granted my wife and I have only played for a total of maybe 40 minutes but we came away impressed with how well it integrated with the music. I do hope we get user created stuff down the road though!

Space Pirate Trainer, Audioshield and Hover Junkers. The Gallery and Final Approach are also awesome. And you must download Irrational Exuberance: The Prologue, it's free.

thanks - ive never heard of the gallery before but that seems up my street. Apoliges if its been asked before, but how long until i receive the freebie games too?

Normally maximum 24h after the delivery.

whys that?

Probably because you have no guarantee that stuff you buy on the Oculus store will work for Vive in the future. Oculus can change stuff to make the hacks that work today unusable at a later point in time if they want to. Or it may change as a side effect to any other crazy update they choose to make. In such case you can't really complain that you are no longer able to play the game you bought, because you bought it in spite of their statements that this was something they did not support in the first place.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Pool Nation VR launch date is 28th of April.

http://www.inside-indie.org/pool-nation-vr-coming-in-april/

Pool Nation VR Gameplay Features:

Play Real Pool – Delight your senses with an immersive and accurate representation of the sport using motion control and real pool physics (be careful not to lean on the table, it’s not really there).
No Consequences – Enjoy the pleasure of throwing a bottle at your opponent or breaking one against the wall. We won’t make you clean-up in VR.
Customize Your Game – Choose from several variations of pool and snooker with popular rule sets, or just hang out and hit some balls in free play.
Online and Offline Opponents – Play against the AI or with your friends globally online.
Kill Some Time – Play VR darts while waiting for your turn at the table, change the music or just explore the bar
Go Crazy – Grab, stack, and smash objects in the world. Create a tower of bottles, stack ’em high and launch a pool ball at your creation.
Enjoy a Polished VR Experience – Years of VR / AR know-how help provide a fun and comfortable VR space to hang out in with your mates from the comfort of your own home.

wonderpug

Neo Member
Cool. I'll go get some [ginger ale]. Thank god for Steam's refund policy

FWIW, these are the ginger candies Oculus had out in bins at GDC:
dOlQbo9.png

I ended up buying a giant bag of 'em to have on hand for myself or to have out when I demo VR to others for the first time.

wonderpug

Neo Member
Probably because you have no guarantee that stuff you buy on the Oculus store will work for Vive in the future. Oculus can change stuff to make the hacks that work today unusable at a later point in time if they want to. Or it may change as a side effect to any other crazy update they choose to make. In such case you can't really complain that you are no longer able to play the game you bought, because you bought it in spite of their statements that this was something they did not support in the first place.

We have to mindread a bit, but it sounds like Oculus isn't planning to actively block these sorts of hacks. They have to use strong "we don't condone this" language so that if something breaks down the line or doesn't work well after a patch, they won't be responsible for support, but they're most likely not going to actively try to break these hacks. As long as you're in the Oculus Store giving them money, they're not going to mind.

We have to mindread a bit, but it sounds like Oculus isn't planning to actively block these sorts of hacks. They have to use strong "we don't condone this" language so that if something breaks down the line or doesn't work well after a patch, they won't be responsible for support, but they're most likely not going to actively try to break these hacks. As long as you're in the Oculus Store giving them money, they're not going to mind.

Sure, but I wouldn't advice random people on the Internet to buy stuff from Oculus with the intention of using it on Vive headsets anyway, because some people's expectations tend to be completely separate from how these things (or the world in general) functions.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd definitely try for 3x2 meters. It's a significant difference. That said, are you tall enough, or is the beam low enough that you're likely to hit it with the controllers if you raise you hands up? You could also consider turning your computer desk up against the wall on its left, and move the shelf as well.

I can reach the normal ceiling if I reach up on my toes (about 2.4m). For the beam I can reach it without even straightening my arm - about 2-2.1m. Slighly more than a hand's span above my head. Definitely no overhead stuff in that area :)

I had looked at turning my desk, but then it'd be facing the window which I don't like much, and it only saves me about 50cm (desk is 120cm wide, 70cm deep).

Welp, I succumbed to my temptation and weak will. Bought one off of EBay. I'll hold on to my "May" order as well, maybe recoup some of the expense.

So it looks like I'll be Vive'in on Monday at the latest, oh yes, it will be glorious.

Zaptruder

Banned
So anyone with a Vive and Rift able to connect them both at the same time? I don't really want to have to reach down to my computer to plug and unplug them all the time...

I've got my Vive running through a mini-DP to DP cable, and although SteamVR recognizes the Vive is there (at least when checking device USB), it'll boot into the Rift first and foremost...

Stuff that I refunded or just didn't care for: Felt Tip Circus, Diorama #1, JauntVR, Jeeboman, Cloudlands: Mini Golf, Hover Junkers, Light Repair Team #4

Really? :( What didn't you like in Hover Junkers? I think the game is da bomb, and hope we can do Gaf rooms once more people have their Vive.

Durante

How good are the revive enabled games? Limited like vorpx or pretty much as good as official support would be? Curious for defence grid. Want to try project cars but really want a wheel for that and ETS. That mod works on th steam versions?
Vorpx tries to make traditional non-VR games support VR. Revive (great name by the way) simply maps VR API calls from one VR API to another. It's obvious that you will get far better results with the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom