• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

taoofjord

It feels like the opposite, actually. As much as I like the room scale stuff, it all feels very slight at the moment and while I wouldn't call it a gimmick because clearly it has the potential to be so much more than that, the current experiences are closer to "gimmicky" than what I'm getting from playing Elite on my Rift.

The Rift is the one I'm leaving plugged in and using daily. The Vive is the one I want to invite people over to experience. It's weird!

Yeah, I guess it just depends on what you're looking out of VR.

I do really want to play Elite: Dangerous though once it's fixed on the Vive. Might even buy a HOTAS for it! I've been waiting for VR came out to play it. :)

Zalusithix

how low is your drop ceiling?
Part 2: (Now with real measurements!)
Height is 88.75" to the lowest point of the ceiling tiles (they hang below the support frame) so 2.25m. The ducting area is only 80.5", so basically what your low area is.

When I do simulated movements in the low ceiling area, anything more than around a 45 degree arm angle would cause the controller to knock the ceiling. Meanwhile, in the higher area, I can get up to arm positions similar to the Statue of Liberty and still have clearance. Higher than that and I'd collide, but considering that's about as far as I can comfortably tilt my head up and look down the sights of a virtual pistol, I don't see myself needing to exceed that arm angle. So yeah, the low area is too low, and the high area is just barely enough for my height.

Well this is making me nervous... My ceiling is only 80 inches. We live in my grandparents basement at the moment as caregivers until they pass. There is no other place I can set it up. I have plenty of floor space though at 15'x10' thanks to the murphy bed.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Well, my order finally shipped. Considering selling my Vive until Pascal. Not as excited about it now that I have Dark Souls 3. And I've been super pumped since I've waited forever. It's just that I feel having only a GTX 770 will spoil that magical first experience.

Well this is making me nervous... My ceiling is only 80 inches. We live in my grandparents basement at the moment as caregivers until they pass. There is no other place I can set it up. I have plenty of floor space though at 15'x10' thanks to the murphy bed.

Once you bang it a few times, you'll get comfortable with your limitations.

The only games I've played where hitting the ceiling a few times is likely would be:

- Space Pirate Trainer (enemies spawn or come to rest right over head)
- Holopoint (see above)
- Audioshield (punching up to hit incoming projectiles can lead to reaching out and smacking the ciling)

Everything else is largely played from head height down.

Well, my order finally shipped. Considering selling my Vive until Pascal. Not as excited about it now that I have Dark Souls 3. And I've been super pumped since I've waited forever. I

bruh one is a good game, the other is the birth of a new medium and will put a smile on your face like you haven't had since you were a kid. 100%. It's like walking into Willie Wonka's Choco...

It's just that I feel having only a GTX 770 will spoil that magical first experience.

...oh. Well shit. Yea I don't think that will give you the experience you deserve.

Cimarron

Yeah, I guess it just depends on what you're looking out of VR.

I do really want to play Elite: Dangerous though once it's fixed on the Vive. Might even buy a HOTAS for it! I've been waiting for VR came out to play it. :)

THIS! Elite dangerous is the reason why I bought a DK2. I loved my experience with it. It is so disappointing that it looks like ass on my Vive. In some ways it looks better on my DK2! Room scale is the shit thoug Vanishing Realms and Budget Cuts are awesome!!!

Zalusithix

Once you bang it a few times, you'll get comfortable with your limitations.

The only games I've played where hitting the ceiling a few times is likely would be:

- Space Pirate Trainer (enemies spawn or come to rest right over head)
- Holopoint (see above)
- Audioshield (punching up to hit incoming projectiles can lead to reaching out and smacking the ciling)

Everything else is largely played from head height down.
Lol, I think most people want to avoid the banging in the first place. ;P That said, what's your ceiling height that you've managed to smack it?

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Well, my order finally shipped. Considering selling my Vive until Pascal. Not as excited about it now that I have Dark Souls 3. And I've been super pumped since I've waited forever. It's just that I feel having only a GTX 770 will spoil that magical first experience.

Jealous. Mine is still weeks away. I thought I found one for a decent price locally buy the guy jacked up the price by like $500 at the last minute.

You will be able to make some decent money selling it on ebay if that is your goal.

When did you preorder?

THIS! Elite dangerous is the reason why I bought a DK2. I loved my experience with it. It is so disappointing that it looks like ass on my Vive. In some ways it looks better on my DK2! Room scale is the shit thoug Vanishing Realms and Budget Cuts are awesome!!!

its bugged. They're fixing it as we speak.

Lol, I think most people want to avoid the banging in the first place. ;P That said, what's your ceiling height that you've managed to smack it?

I haven't smacked it. I'm saying he will probably smack it in those games because of the need or tendency to reach out and up in those games. 6' 5" ceiling height pretty much guarantees it. But he'll learn his range quickly.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Jealous. Mine is still weeks away. I thought I found one for a decent price locally buy the guy jacked up the price by like $500 at the last minute.

You will be able to make some decent money selling it on ebay if that is your goal.
Rather not scalp it since I bought it to use it. I just won't use it until Pascal. Or I could probably sell it and pick one up later with Pascal.

When did you preorder?
12 minutes after preorders went up.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Rather not scalp it since I bought it to use it. I just won't use it until Pascal. Or I could probably sell it and pick one up later with Pascal.

12 minutes after preorders went up.

Well if you decide to sell it, let me know. I'd be happy to work something out with you assuming you are from the US. I don't mind paying a couple hundred extra to make it worth your while. Otherwise, yeah just hold on to it since you know you will want one eventually.

Armageddon

Neo Member
Has anyone else experienced black flickering when getting low FPS in a game? My GTX 780 doesn't seem to be able to handle The Gallery as I get inconsistent frame rates just walking around the beginning area. However, when it does drop I see this weird black flickering effect almost like the refresh rate is super low. Shouldn't reprojection be kicking in if the FPS drops? I also get this in the loading screens for The Lab.

Bboy AJ

Well if you decide to sell it, let me know. I'd be happy to work something out with you assuming you are from the US. I don't mind paying a couple hundred extra to make it worth your while. Otherwise, yeah just hold on to it since you know you will want one eventually.
Try ordering one now. Some people have been able to sneak into an April shipment.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Try ordering one now. Some people have been able to sneak into an April shipment.

I'm in may shipment after canceling my Rift. I tried for days sniping an April shipment but people stopped having success pretty much the day before I canceled my Rift.

I sold my DK2 in late november because HTC was pretending like it was going to launch in December. So I'm just ready to have some VR back in my life lol.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Has anyone else experienced black flickering when getting low FPS in a game? My GTX 780 doesn't seem to be able to handle The Gallery as I get inconsistent frame rates just walking around the beginning area. However, when it does drop I see this weird black flickering effect almost like the refresh rate is super low. Shouldn't reprojection be kicking in if the FPS drops? I also get this in the loading screens for The Lab.

This started happening to me in The Gallery after its latest patch. Pretty sure it is specific to that game.

Sky Chief

It feels like the opposite, actually. As much as I like the room scale stuff, it all feels very slight at the moment and while I wouldn't call it a gimmick because clearly it has the potential to be so much more than that, the current experiences are closer to "gimmicky" than what I'm getting from playing Elite on my Rift.

The Rift is the one I'm leaving plugged in and using daily. The Vive is the one I want to invite people over to experience. It's weird!

The thing is Elite is a cockpit game and I assume you're playing with a HOTAS. That's all the difference. It's the disconnect added by using abstracted button based controls in a game like Lucky's Tale that makes it seem gimmicky to me.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Just had my first go on one of the work units. We have one unit set up in a dedicated room which you'd probably describe as a moderate sized office.

Didn't muck around with sizing to my head properly at all because every time I play it someone will have changed it. But if I had my own unit I sensed I could get it more comfortable and stable. Was just slightly heavier than I expected it to be.

Played Audioshield first. Good initial introduction to the VIve in hindsight I think. Really enjoyed it, especially as Eyetoy Groove is one of my favourite games of all time. The rumble on the controllers really makes a huge difference to the immersion.

Then played The Lab. Had the brief stint on the mountain top. Then tried the Longbow demo. That was fun, and felt really tactile.

Went into the Secret Shop. That just creeped me out straight away with the little dragon, and I felt uneasy enough in that environment to jump straight back out of there within the first couple of minutes.

Then played Robot Repair. Was interesting, and the first time I really noticed the boundaries of the playing space. I think I need to have more confidence in the chaperone system in order to allow myself to travel around the space more freely, as I found myself quite hesitant. Also found the cord more instrusive on this demo than before also. When you get to the point where
the floor falls away, my mild fear of heights kicked in[/quote] and I had to quit.

By that stage, the headset was getting a little warm on my face, and other people were breaking for lunch and wanting a turn so left it at that.

Overall, pretty engaging, and interesting to see my real world hangups are still a problem in the virtual world. I'm a naturally jumpy person and I can already tell there is no way I'd make it through a horror game. Id do have a tendency to get motion sick sometimes in cars and boats, but didn't have any problem with that, but then I didn't play any demos that would really exacerbate that. That being said, I can see how exposure to experiences might moderate my fears over time.

Trojan

Brand new Vive owner right here...just confirmed its arriving in 2 days.

What are some of the hidden gems of VR that I can't miss? I've read the OP and have done research about which games are worth buying and so far have this list:
-bundle games
-audio shield
-the gallery
-hover junkers
-space pirate simulator

What other games have risen to the top as fan favorites that I need to download? Can't wait to get this thing fired up over the weekend.

Bsigg12

My Vive has gone from Indianapolis to Denver and back twice now. It's supposed to be delivered tomorrow night. Come the fuck on FedEx.

What are some of the hidden gems of VR that I can't miss? I've read the OP and have done research about which games are worth buying and so far have this list:
-bundle games
-audio shield
-the gallery
-hover junkers
-space pirate simulator

What other games have risen to the top as fan favorites that I need to download? Can't wait to get this thing fired up over the weekend.

Seems like everyone keeps saying Blarp is awesome. It looks terrible, but it's so cheap I'll give it a shot. Also Final Approach while looking boring is also apparently awesome.

Compsiox

Banned

-bundle games
-audio shield
-the gallery
-hover junkers
-space pirate simulator

If you wanna build your own amazing roller coasters, Chunks is a must. I would also get Vanishing Realms and the Budget Cuts demo. Once you build up your tolerance to VR motion sickness, Windlands is also a must.

atom519

Got the PCI-E USB 3.0 card.

Didn't help.

I'm done.

Haven't read the entire thread, but what is your issue? Going to rattle off my experience in the off-chance it's similar.

I had a NIGHTMARE of a time getting my Vive working. Wrestled with a variety of issues, the main one being the HMD was not giving any display at all. Or if it was, would flicker and randomly shut off. Also had a string of BSOD's when trying to launch SteamVR that was resolved after a half-dozen driver reinstalls.

Ended up being a faulty video card in the end, or at least the HDMI port on my 980Ti. . If I switched back to my 970 everything worked perfect. I even tried the dp to mini-dp cable, and it worked maybe 30% of the time. Just bizarre symptoms all around. I finally filed a return with amazon, they shipped a new one overnight (<3 amazon), and now I'm 100% without issues.

Anyways, just mentioning it on here in case others have similar issues. I originally ruled out the video card as I had been gaming for weeks with no issues. However, apparently only the DVI output was working correctly.

-bundle games
-audio shield
-the gallery
-hover junkers
-space pirate simulator

Wevr Transport for free TheBlu whale encounter
Holopoint can give the same feelings of SPT (but get SPT first over this)

Trojan

Seems like everyone keeps saying Blarp is awesome. It looks terrible, but it's so cheap I'll give it a shot. Also Final Approach while looking boring is also apparently awesome.

If you wanna build your own amazing roller coasters, Chunks is a must. I would also get Vanishing Realms and the Budget Cuts demo. Once you build up your tolerance to VR motion sickness, Windlands is also a must.

Wevr Transport for free TheBlu whale encounter
Holopoint can give the same feelings of SPT (but get SPT first over this)

Thanks for the suggestions. I was not aware of any of many of these games and they all sound really interesting! Will report back with my thoughts once I get it setup!

wwm0nkey

Some of these VR games are expensive as hell lol

Hoping someone does a D&D style game with this at some point, that could be pretty cool for the digital PnP style genre.

newsguy

So the NAB convention (for television and film equipment) had a really cool application for the Vive. It's a Google maps aerial view of a city. You control this virtual drone via the Vive and map out your shots. You then download that mapping data into your drone and it will fly those coordinates by itself based on what you did in VR. That's sounds crazy awesome. The future is now.

taoofjord

Pure speculation and a bit premature since so many haven't received theirs yet but I'm curious when people think we'll see the next iteration of the Vive and if we'll see a significant resolution bump. The low res screen is the biggest flaw, in my opinion.

Evo X

What the hell is going on?

My SteamVR refuses to launch any games right now.

Headset and controllers are tracked fine, but the menu button does not bring up the SteamVR menu with the laser pointer and starting anything from the desktop doesn't work either. I am just stuck in the Vive room.

Can anyone help?

megabadd

I set up and played with the Vive yesterday. Put in about 30 minutes into Windlands and was pleasantly surprised. I'm the type to get motion sickness if I try to read a book in the car, but I was ok during Windlands. I was a little wobbly at first (physically, it was disorienting), and the controls before you get the grappling hooks almost made me return the game, but the game was pretty amazing once everything clicked.

It might have helped that I had a glass of wine and few ginger chews in me though, haha.

What the hell is going on?

My SteamVR refuses to launch any games right now.

Headset and controllers are tracked fine, but the menu button does not bring up the SteamVR menu with the laser pointer and starting anything from the desktop doesn't work either. I am just stuck in the Vive room.

Can anyone help?
right click steam VR, devices, reboot vive. Check if works
Run room setup. Check if works
Reboot machine, start from the top. Check if works

IMACOMPUTA

It's a 3 in one cable correct? Just unplug the USB one at each end and leave the rest plugged in. Then try a different USB cable between the HMD and the breakout box.

Yeah, I don't have a usb type A male to male cable.

Haven't read the entire thread, but what is your issue? Going to rattle off my experience in the off-chance it's similar.

I had a NIGHTMARE of a time getting my Vive working. Wrestled with a variety of issues, the main one being the HMD was not giving any display at all. Or if it was, would flicker and randomly shut off. Also had a string of BSOD's when trying to launch SteamVR that was resolved after a half-dozen driver reinstalls.

Ended up being a faulty video card in the end, or at least the HDMI port on my 980Ti. . If I switched back to my 970 everything worked perfect. I even tried the dp to mini-dp cable, and it worked maybe 30% of the time. Just bizarre symptoms all around. I finally filed a return with amazon, they shipped a new one overnight (<3 amazon), and now I'm 100% without issues.

Anyways, just mentioning it on here in case others have similar issues. I originally ruled out the video card as I had been gaming for weeks with no issues. However, apparently only the DVI output was working correctly.

I'm having tracking issues. The headset loses tracking all the time. Basically every time I turn 90 degrees it loses tracking and I get the gray screen.

Except at night. At night it works perfectly.

My plan was to take it to a friend's house next weekend. I dunno what's going on now. Maybe I'll set up in the living room this weekend. I just need to quit messing with it for a while. I've spent way too much time troubleshooting this and it's driving me insane. I have a support ticket open, and have also been in contact with a Vive engineer at Valve.

pj

Banned
Yeah, I don't have a usb type A male to male cable.

I'm having tracking issues. The headset loses tracking all the time. Basically every time I turn 90 degrees it loses tracking and I get the gray screen.

Except at night. At night it works perfectly.

My plan was to take it to a friend's house next weekend. I dunno what's going on now. Maybe I'll set up in the living room this weekend. I just need to quit messing with it for a while. I've spent way too much time troubleshooting this and it's driving me insane. I have a support ticket open, and have also been emailing an engineer at Valve back and forth.

What is "night"? What time does it start working? What time the next morning does it stop working?

Very interesting problem you're having there

IMACOMPUTA

What is "night"? What time does it start working? What time the next morning does it stop working?

Very interesting problem you're having there

Seems like it's around 8pm that it starts working. Not sure when it stops. I want to say its a total coincidence because it makes no sense, but it's been a week now and has been consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom