• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afrikan

That's a good sign for all of these games. Cross-platform play for VR multiplayer games will be especially important due to the smaller user base. The fact that PC players will get to tap dat ass in to the PSVR's base is especially good given that will likely be the largest one.

fixed.

unless us PS4 owners get(have?) Flight sticks.

just kidding, I don't give a fuuuuk... I'll be ready to take some PC gamers out. :D

Mikeside

You should have said it arrived like that instead of saying you caused it, might have been covered under warranty then.

Yeah I don't really want to lie about it. It's better they know there's an issue with glasses scratching these things so it can be fixed in future revisions

Haint

Oh! Didn't know they released the Sisters demo this week!

@Durante

giphy.gif

Apparently the demo can't be downloaded even though there is a store page? Seems this steam link works though

Does forcing an install with a special link work for any of the other unreleased demos, like the Fruit Ninja knockoff, Alien surgeon simulator, etc...?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So Windlands just got an update on Steam:

An update to Windlands has been released to Steam and will be automatically downloaded.

We have decided to release this update today in order to gather further feedback on the Vive controllers updates. We are busy doing everything we can to help beginners, Give options and improve visual and haptic feedback in the hope we can crack the Vive controllers. Sadly, they were not designed well for locomotion and are not ideal, however, we think we are getting a great deal closer to an awesome experience with them, we will continue to strive and give you the best game we can.

Big Changes

Vive Controller Changes, please see the VR section.

Changes

You can now disable turning in the controls menu
You can now disable strafing in the controls menu
We have introduced a new controllers layout menu which we will improve in future versions, for now you can see the controller setup in text.
You now receive an information message at the start of a new game before you have picked up your hooks, this should help with people who report their controllers are broken because the hooks are not working.

VR

By default the Vive controller layout is set to “beginner”, in this mode you can only press to walk forwards, backwards and jump (by pressing the right pad). As you become confident we recommend you change to the “recommended” layout which includes strafe, our experience is players new to VR are finding locomotion too much for them, so this vastly improves the beginners experience, people soon find their legs and want better controls.
Vive controllers now have haptic feedback for Walking, Landing and Hooking.
Vive controllers now have floating text help, you can switch this off from the new Controller Layout Menu.
Vive controllers now have a touch and press visualisation so you can see where your thumb is resting.
We have renamed the touch to move (which makes beginners feel ill) to expert and recommend only those with VR legs and time to practice use this mode, people have completed the game with this mode so we know it gives full control but requires practice.
We have updated the Oculus SDK to 1.3.2

I like how the only game that made me sick in the first 10 seconds of using it blame it all on the Vive controllers. Also those damn beginners.

taoofjord

I like how the only game that made me sick in the first 10 seconds of using it blame it all on the Vive controllers. Also those damn beginners.

That's bold of them to knock the design of the Vive controller. I guess they're saying that because it doesn't have an analog stick? That's really, really silly.

Zalusithix

Well, they're right. They're not designed well for stick based artificial locomotion. I'm pretty sure that was intentional though. Valve is quite aware that analog sticks are better for movement compared to a touchpad - hence the existence of a stick on the Steam controller. Valve doesn't believe, however, that stick based movement in VR is ideal, so they didn't pack in an analog stick. For everything else you'd use the stick for, the touchpad is better.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Well, they're right. They're not designed well for stick based artificial locomotion. I'm pretty sure that was intentional though. Valve is quite aware that analog sticks are better for movement compared to a touchpad - hence the existence of a stick on the Steam controller. Valve doesn't believe, however, that stick based movement in VR is ideal, so they didn't pack in an analog stick. For everything else you'd use the stick for, the touchpad is better.

I mean, they could have actually tested it and see that the default setting was the worst one. Even the sensitivity of the touchpad was way too high for movement. Plus what they adding now in the patch it's like basic user interface that was missing.

Edit: and maybe I didn't get far enough in the game because it made me sick as hell, but why would be strafing still the recommended setting? Just because it's faster?

Same here. Are you all UK too?

US. East coast.

That's bold of them to knock the design of the Vive controller. I guess they're saying that because it doesn't have an analog stick? That's really, really silly.
To be fair, that's not the first time I've heard from a VR dev that touchpads weren't great for movement.

taoofjord

They're right in that their analog stick based movement doesn't work well without an analog stick but that's lame of them to say the controllers weren't well design for locomotion. Many, including myself, have no interest in it or literally can not handle that kind of movement in VR. That's why so many developers are happily experimenting with new ways that are both comfortable and immersive.

And personally, I don't think every traditional game genre NEEDS to have a place in VR. I will always want both traditional games and VR games.

Plumpman

Is it normal for the charge to disappear, is my bank processing it?

Charged Sunday, Bank Called, Everything was good to go.
It was pending until this morning, now its gone, and my funds are back.

taoofjord

Is it normal for the charge to disappear, is my bank processing it?

Charged Sunday, Bank Called, Everything was good to go.
It was pending until this morning, now its gone, and my funds are back.

It disappeared because your bank took it off your statement after a certain amount of hours without receiving a receipt from Digital River. 72 in my case. Nothing to worry about, it will go through again when it ships (or shortly after).

Plumpman

It disappeared because your bank took it off your statement after a certain amount of hours without receiving a receipt from Digital River. 72 in my case. Nothing to worry about, it will go through again when it ships (or shortly after).

Excellent, thanks!
I wasn't panicking yet but its good to have some confirmation of this.

Zalusithix

I mean, they could have actually tested it and see that the default setting was the worst one. Even the sensitivity of the touchpad was way too high for movement. Plus what they adding now in the patch it's like basic user interface that was missing.

Edit: and maybe I didn't get far enough in the game because it made me sick as hell, but why would be strafing still the recommended setting? Just because it's faster?
The whole situation probably comes down to a combination of two things.

1. It's easier to blame the device for being lacking than it is to blame yourself for poor implementation. This can be subconscious even.
  2. It's easy to be blinded by your own views. It works for you, so it must work for everybody else right? It's easy to lose track as a dev that what seems normal or intuitive to you after hundreds of hours testing, might not be so much for people with no prior experience.
They're right in that their analog stick based movement doesn't work well without an analog stick but that's lame of them to say the controllers weren't well design for locomotion. Many, including myself, have no interest in it or literally can not handle that kind of movement in VR.

I'm not defending analog stick movement in VR in the least. Just pointing out that they're technically correct. It's not great for what they're trying to do. That's an entirely different issue from whether what they're trying to do is a good idea in the first place. ;)

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

[...] "Sadly, they were not designed well for locomotion and are not ideal" [...]

lol, way to bite the hand that feeds you.

Windlands was my first refund on Steam, which I processed via the headset within minutes. Just awful controls, only VR experience that made me feel terrible.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The whole situation probably comes down to a combination of two things.

1. It's easier to blame the device for being lacking than it is to blame yourself for poor implementation. This can be subconscious even.
  2. It's easy to be blinded by your own views. It works for you, so it must work for everybody else right? It's easy to lose track as a dev that what seems normal or intuitive to you after hundreds of hours testing, might not be so much for people with no prior experience.

My point is that you have a game that has a main concept that is in theory great for Vive, practically playing as Spiderman. That's your USP. Why to be cocky about a thing that it's not even the main thing of your game? The update might actually be useful, why poison it with some comments that shouldn't actually be in the release notes of an update? In the worst case scenario this even could be a game that could apply the favourite locomotion method of the most famous poster in the VR thread, serversurfer. Anything but the locomotion by touching the trackpad set on hypersensitivity.

Zalusithix

My point is that you have a game that has a main concept that is in theory great for Vive, practically playing as Spiderman. That's your USP. Why to be cocky about a thing that it's not even the main thing of your game? The update might actually be useful, why poison it with some comments that shouldn't actually be in the release notes of an update? In the worst case scenario this even could be a game that could apply the favourite locomotion method of the most famous poster in the VR thread, serversurfer. Anything but the locomotion by touching the trackpad set on hypersensitivity.

You're looking at the situation rationally from an outside perspective, and you're not wrong. From a creator's standpoint though, things can look different. You're generally not supposed to get attached to your work to the point where you can't see the positives and negatives of everything, but it still happens to various extents. Combine that with the fact that small devs don't have PR filtering everything, and you can get situations like this.

At least they're working on it, regardless of whatever biases might be present.

Edit: Also, if SS starts posting writing books in this thread , I'm going to blame you. ;P

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Whelp. Had a dream I received my Vive last night.

Odd because I haven't been in the VR threads much since I realized j was still a month or more away from receiving either my Rift of my Vive.

But it felt good, then it felt way bad.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I played like 7 missions in The Collider 2. It's a nice arcade game. You control the ship with your head as you slalom through the obstacles in what it's practically a long tunnel. Or hallway in another ship. It's a good neck exercise too.

charpunk

Got the vive all setup, using a temp mounting solution until my light mounts get here tomorrow. Thankfully everything works great, was freaking out hooking up everything praying nothing was doa.

Only messed around with then lab and budget cuts demo but man this is so much more fun than my dk2.

I played like 7 missions in The Collider 2. It's a nice arcade game. You control the ship with your head as you slalom through the obstacles in what it's practically a long tunnel. Or hallway in another ship. It's a good neck exercise too.

Protip: you can use a mouse, the controller controls are borked in VR though

but yeah fun game. I enjoy it.

Got the vive all setup, using a temp mounting solution until my light mounts get here tomorrow. Thankfully everything works great, was freaking out hooking up everything praying nothing was doa.

Only messed around with then lab and budget cuts demo but man this is so much more fun than my dk2.

LOL I had my DK2 for like a year and used it for like 5 hours I used the vive about the same the first day I got it.

HOW ABOUT YOU ADD AN OPTION TO MOVE THE RESPAWN BUTTON OR ADD CONFIRMATION SO YOU DONT ACCIDENTALLY RESPAWN AFTER A HARD PART RIGHT BEFORE YOU REACH A CHECKPOINT

which I have done at least a dozen times

wonderpug

Neo Member
HOW ABOUT YOU ADD AN OPTION TO MOVE THE RESPAWN BUTTON OR ADD CONFIRMATION SO YOU DONT ACCIDENTALLY RESPAWN AFTER A HARD PART RIGHT BEFORE YOU REACH A CHECKPOINT

which I have done at least a dozen times

There's just no way to implement something like that with the way those damn Vive controllers are designed! It can't be done!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Protip: you can use a mouse, the controller controls are borked in VR though

but yeah fun game. I enjoy it.

Yeah, the controller controls are borked. But I had fund controlling the ship with the HMD. I actually reset the position somewhere mid-height, so I practically flex/stretch my feet to move up/down. This could be a good warming game for the likes of Audioshield, SPT and Hover Junkers.

I think it's going to be a real shame if we're not going to get a lot of VR games using normal methods of movement because the Vive controllers aren't good for it and fears of motion sickness. I've been playing a lot of Technolust and never felt sick from normal analogue movement. It's the turning independent of your head that some games allow which feels weird, and just locking rotation to fixed intercardinal directions helps with that. Teleportation would feel weird in that game and I don't know what other method people would propose for it.
Normal analogue movement is perfectly viable as a way of moving in a first person game, and it's a shame if people have written it off already.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think it's going to be a real shame if we're not going to get a lot of VR games using normal methods of movement because the Vive controllers aren't good for it and fears of motion sickness. I've been playing a lot of Technolust and never felt sick from normal analogue movement. It's the turning independent of your head that some games allow which feels weird, and just locking rotation to fixed intercardinal directions helps with that. Teleportation would feel weird in that game and I don't know what other method people would propose for it.
Normal analogue movement is perfectly viable as a way of moving in a first person game, and it's a shame if people have written it off already.

Nobody is forcing developers to use Vive controllers for the analogue movement. Vive users can use controllers too, you know?

And even if they use the Vive controllers, it doesn't need to be as bad as it was in Windlands.

Let's not turn one badly designed control scheme into a rule.

Edit: also, the market will decide in the end. If there are enough people who don't get motion sick, the movement using and analog stick will be still a valid one.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

I get extremely sick when moving with an analog controller in first person. I'd say about 3/4 of the people I've shown analog movement in first person games in various HMDs have gotten very sick as well.

Nobody is forcing developers to use Vive controllers for the analogue movement. Vive users can use controllers too, you know?

But I'd like games that use motion controls and analogue movement. It only needs to be one or the other on Vive because it doesn't have a stick. I really don't like having two trackpads, I think it's limiting.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
But I'd like games that use motion controls and analogue movement. It only needs to be one or the other on Vive because it doesn't have a stick. I really don't like having two trackpads, I think it's limiting.

Have you tried Windlands on Vive controllers? The issue was not that it's using the trackpad, the major issue that it's at a very sensitive setting that makes the acceleration very obvious. I got motion sick in it even without turning.

You can still use it as a D-pad for the people who are sensible to motion sickness. As they actually doing in this patch.

Tain

From my experience with the Steam controller I don't think I'd prefer the Vive trackpad for movement over an analog stick.

I think that if you're going to do movement on an analog stick or trackpad or whatever (and I do think there will be an eventual audience for this), your speed should be fixed. A d-pad may even be best, but in my experience an analog stick is similarly fine as long as your movement speed is always fixed. Otherwise you'll obviously get analog stick acceleration (or something even more smooth and lurchy with a track pad, I'd imagine).

You could have a gamepad in the left hand and a Vive remote in the right, I'd imagine. A little extreme just for the stick, though.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Also I think that the locomotion that Hover Junkers uses can be used as a replacement for analog stick in other games too.

Have you tried Windlands on Vive controllers? The issue was not that it's using the trackpad, the major issue that it's at a very sensitive setting that makes the acceleration very obvious. I got motion sick in it even without turning.

You can still use it as a D-pad for the people who are sensible to motion sickness. As they actually doing in this patch.

I haven't, it sounds terrible. I've tried to use the trackpad as a stick/pad replacement on my Steam controller plenty though, it's felt terrible in everything I've tried.

viveks86

People are still figuring things out, guys. It's too early to predict what is going to be the way forward (pun intended).

I'm positive that some form of analog movement will be supported in games. Many genres will suffer otherwise. How they will be supported to minimize chances of motion sickness is the open question.

One thing that's certain is that it cannot simply be bolted on to VR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom