• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pure speculation and a bit premature since so many haven't received theirs yet but I'm curious when people think we'll see the next iteration of the Vive and if we'll see a significant resolution bump. The low res screen is the biggest flaw, in my opinion.

I think these are going to be on a 1.5-2 year cycle at first, probably pushing closer to 2, so that screen technology can hopefully have higher pixel density. The screens actually aren't that low res, it's just how close they are to your eyes.

Payment still pending since Sunday. Hopefully something happens tomorrow. The wait is aggravating.
It looks like pretty much all of Wave 2 could ship at any time now. Beginning of the week was only X:10-X:20, but today has had shipping all the way up until a few hours past. Just cross your fingers you win the Vive lottery the next few days

Evo X

Good lord, I am sweating like a pig after a 30 minute session of Holopoint!

Having to continually dodge makes the gameplay so dynamic. I am afraid I am going to break something in the room though because you get so caught up in it.

viveks86

Oh! Didn't know they released the Sisters demo this week!

@Durante

giphy.gif

Apparently the demo can't be downloaded even though there is a store page? Seems this steam link works though

For those of you demoing to family & friends, is there a way to store ipd per person and recall it, or do you not bother? Thinking particularly for my kids as they might need more adjusting than adults, although they're not super young

I tell people to hold the controller up to their face and twist it either direction until the HTC logo becomes clear.

simonski

Arrived yesterday, and has pretty much exceeded my expectations (having previously own a DK1 and DK2). My son tried to put down the controllers on the desk in Job Simulator, and my daughter fell onto our sofa leaning over the sink to turn the tap on. That's presence for you.

A quick tracking question - I seem to have occasional issues with a controller (usually/always the right hand), losing tracking, a whizzing off in front of me for a bit. I think my lighthouses are reasonably well placed - above head height, angled slightly downwards etc, but I do have a large shiny TV in the middle of the room. Might that be causing the woes?

Also, Budget Cuts is going to be flipping amazing. I hope someone is throwing a bit of money at it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Valiant, the medieval multiplayer horseback combat VR game comes out on April 25th!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1210088

As I wrote also in the game's thread, it seems that the Vive controllers will be supported:

developer on Reddit said:
The multiplayer is cross platform. I'm not too sure, but we MAY be the first multiplayer VR game that allows Rift users playing through Oculus Home to play with Vive users playing through Steam.
Vive users will be able to use their hand controllers. This will give slight advantages with some weapons, and some slight disadvantages with other weapons. We will have to tweak and balance as we go!

Durante

Arrived yesterday, and has pretty much exceeded my expectations (having previously own a DK1 and DK2). My son tried to put down the controllers on the desk in Job Simulator, and my daughter fell onto our sofa leaning over the sink to turn the tap on. That's presence for you.

A quick tracking question - I seem to have occasional issues with a controller (usually/always the right hand), losing tracking, a whizzing off in front of me for a bit. I think my lighthouses are reasonably well placed - above head height, angled slightly downwards etc, but I do have a large shiny TV in the middle of the room. Might that be causing the woes?

Also, Budget Cuts is going to be flipping amazing. I hope someone is throwing a bit of money at it.
Regarding the tracking, I only had very sporadic tracking issues on one of my controllers, and only when it was facing a part of the room where there is a closet with some (somewhat mirrored) glass doors. It's too rare for me to have bothered doing anything about it so far, but I assume that covering those up would eliminate the issue.

artsi

I was just writing a post, asking why is my vision blurry when I'm looking something very up close, then I realized it's what my eye does in real life... I feel stupid now.

simonski

Cheers - I'll sling something over the TV, see if it helps. Also realised that there's a firmware update available (if that's what the blob next to the controller icons indicates in steamvr?). I'll give that a go too.

Mikeside

I have no idea how it's happened, but there's a distracting scratch on one of my lenses. What the fuck :(

I don't think they're even replaceable

Mikeside

Do you wear glasses?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what did it, though I've been careful to put it on face first and have adjusted the lenses out a bit so I have room.

I'm pretty furious with myself. I really hope there's some way to replace the lenses that I just haven't seen yet.

Zalusithix

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what did it, though I've been careful to put it on face first and have adjusted the lenses out a bit so I have room.

I'm pretty furious with myself. I really hope there's some way to replace the lenses that I just haven't seen yet.

Even if it's technically possible, I don't see HTC giving/selling them to an end user. =/ They'll probably want to do an RMA repair process if anything.

I wonder if they put any anti-scratch coating on the lenses. They're certainly not using glass, so if they don't have a coating, they'd be rather susceptible to scratching. At any rate, I think you've cemented my decision to go the contact route until I can evaluate the viability of an internal prescription lens solution.

Edit: That or possibly printing out a bumper of sorts that sits in the HMD and hits the bridge of my glasses to keep them away from the Fresnel lenses.

artsi

I'm glad that I don't need glasses when using my Vive, I need in real life but can't tell the difference in VR.

I played some DCS World yesterday and for some reason the game was dropping frames like hell even with lowest settings, I got 4790K + 980ti so I guess it's pretty much unplayable right now. I can handle stuff like analog stick locomotion, but I got very sick just after a few minutes of playing that.

charpunk

My vive should be here within the next few hours. I don't think I've ever been this excited about new tech in my life.

I have the space ready to go, the spots where I'll be wall mounting the light houses picked, and now I'm sitting in my living room staring at the door.

Zalusithix

well that's £750 down the fucking drain, then.

Nah, I'd get in contact with HTC. If they don't cover it under warranty, they should be able to fix/replace it. Even if you have to cover the repair costs, it'll be a lot less than a full replacement. At least it should be.

Zalusithix

You could probably sell them on eBay for £750.
Even with full disclosure on the scratch. Someone out there with more money than sense...who's not willing to wait till June
That's actually probably true. Sadly.

Could we use some phone protective film applied to the lenses?

I would go nuts over a scratch like that.

Scratch protection films would have an adverse effect on visual clarity, and would be a pain in the ass to apply without bubbles etc.

Yeah, it's like a graze on the right lens, so it's visibly blurry in the right eye. Such a small graze too, but as it's right in your eye, it's very noticeable.

I'm trying to contact HTC now.

Sorry to hear that, I wear glasses too, so it worries me. They'll fix it, make sure you back the VR lense Kickstarter, they'll make your lenses too for around £60.

Ugh, Already getting bored with the mobile game style launch offerings. I wish I could play the gallery but it makes my computer want to throw up on itself.

I'm already thinking about what I would love to see in the 2.0 model of this and 99% of what I want is durability. Hell, I think the optics are fine for first gen tech but goddamn this thing needs a way to protect those sensitive sensors. The lighthouses could use some reinforcement too as they will invariably fall or be bumped into by someone, the headset has clear warnings about scratching the sensors on that, on top of the worry of scratching the lenses. I have a feeling a lot of these are not going to last very long if the person who buys it doesn't gingerly take care of it.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Scratch protection films would have an adverse effect on visual clarity, and would be a pain in the ass to apply without bubbles etc.

Hmmm, tempered glass covers for phones usually go on without any trouble for me... wonder if that could work without messing up the optics. Could be a nice little market for that.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I wonder how well they go on with the little ridges from the Fresnel lens.

Oh oops, are those on the surface? Was thinking they'd be on the interior.

Edit: whew. They'd catch all sorts of dust and be really difficult to clean if they were on the surface.

Zalusithix

livechat guy said send it in and they'll decide what to charge me. When I questioned it he said call 0203 684 8000
I'd hope for an estimate on lens replacement before sending. Unless they're paying shipping both ways.

Hmmm, tempered glass covers for phones usually go on without any trouble for me... wonder if that could work without messing up the optics. Could be a nice little market for that.

Phone screens are easier to work with - being free of obstructions, and more durable as they're meant to take downward pressure. Who knows how much pressure the lens assemblies can take in the headsets before something breaks. They aren't meant to have any pressure normally. Beyond that, it's a lot easier to hide optical imperfections from a phone's distance. In a VR headset, any minor imperfection in application and manufacturing defects would be magnified. You could perhaps take advantage of this and make it intentionally flawed to act as a diffuser screen, but you're still going to have to deal with the lens assembly question.

Not something I'd want to muck around with at any rate.

Tadie

Eve: Valkyrie will support cross-platform play between Rift, Vive and PlayStation VR

Eve: Valkyrie was a launch title on the Oculus Rift, and CCP Games has since announced that the game is coming to the HTC Vive. We've known for a while that it will also be a launch title on the PlayStation VR. The company has just announced a new, and very exciting, update to its plans for the game.

"What we haven't said before, and will for the first time here on stage is cross-platform play." Eve: Valkyrie executive producer Owen O'Brien told the cheering crowd at Fanfest in Reykjavik, Iceland.

"Valkyrie from the outset was made as a VR game, and we want people irrespective of the platform they're playing on to be able to flight together and die together." he said. "So that's a big important thing for us. That everyone can play together and we break down the barriers."

So if you have a Vive, you'll be able to squad up with people on the PlayStation VR as well as the Oculus Rift. This is great news for people who were worried the player bases of the game would be limited to its own platform. Not to mention it will also help people on each platform find games with other players when the currently available VR hardware is shipping in limited amounts.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/21/11477562/eve-valkyrie-cross-platform-play

So I got Chronos working on the Vive few days ago (Using the revive injector for Dreamdeck) and it looks like it has some weird camera issues. Specifically, you can't seem to reset the camera using the select button so sometimes the camera angle is in really strange places.

The game is pretty fun though. Although its vague and weird as hell xD

Also, for those mentioning that they got motion sickness from running Lucky's Tale on the Vive, until I rebooted m PC, the game was running at 60fps for me instead of 90fps (which felt super unsmooth and jittery and caused me to get a little sick). Played really well the following day though. Also it was free on the Oculus store for some reason...O.O

Zalusithix

You should have said it arrived like that instead of saying you caused it, might have been covered under warranty then.

Well, sure, if you don't mind lying. I'd personally never be able to do that, but then again I come from a background with a family business, so that goes against every moral fiber of my being.

Well, sure, if you don't mind lying. I'd personally never be able to do that, but then again I come from a background with a family business, so that goes against every moral fiber of my being.

Just earned some major points in my book bro.

I think I'm definitely going to go VR lens lab or contacts. Probably won't let people demo them in certain games if they have glasses either as they could bump the HMD on the ground or something and scratch the lenses with their glasses. Hmmm, I wonder if VR lens lab have thought about offering a safety lens cover?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom