• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tain

I also think, and have thought for a while, that many VR enthusiasts and devs seem too quick to throw out initially uncomfortable movement schemes. I get that VR's new and we want it to be accessible, and I think all this experimentation with new forms of motion is awesome, but, like, I'd prefer traditional-turned-VR games to keep the option for traditional analog stick movement when it makes sense. "VR legs" seems like a very real thing, and some are less susceptible to motion sickness. Bury it in the options menu with comfort warnings if need be.

Woah, that's huge.

Kudos to them, Budget Cuts is easily the best VR game out there right now. And it's just a demo.
I went on a tourist tour of valve a few years ago and I could see it. They talked about that kind of stuff. They just have a bunch of workstations and offices and extra stuff just for situations like this. Bring people in that need space to work. Hooray for budget cuts~

I also think, and have thought for a while, that many VR enthusiasts and devs seem too quick to throw out initially uncomfortable movement schemes. I get that VR's new and we want it to be accessible, and think all this experimentation with new forms of motion is awesome, but, like, I'd prefer traditional-turned-VR games to keep the option for traditional analog stick movement when it makes sense. "VR legs" seems like a very real thing, and some are less susceptible to motion sickness. Bury it in the options menu with comfort warnings if need be.

I've just started playing P.O.L.L.E.N. and it seems to have some pretty comprehensive options to tune movement and turning to help make it more comfortable for those that can't deal with full free movement and turning. Shame the framrate is shit for me, that really does make it unplayable for me.

From what I've played so far, and that is quite a lot, The Lab seems to have the best picture quality, in terms of clarify. I'll play a few games that look a bit rough say, and you kinda think that's just how it is, but then you put The Lab on and it looks damn good! But why? Is it the aesthetic? Or the AA employed? Or both? Something like Jeeboman or Brookhaven look pretty rough in comparison.

I also think, and have thought for a while, that many VR enthusiasts and devs seem too quick to throw out initially uncomfortable movement schemes. I get that VR's new and we want it to be accessible, and I think all this experimentation with new forms of motion is awesome, but, like, I'd prefer traditional-turned-VR games to keep the option for traditional analog stick movement when it makes sense. "VR legs" seems like a very real thing, and some are less susceptible to motion sickness. Bury it in the options menu with comfort warnings if need be.

These sorts of things need to wait. When's the last time that consumers didn't immediately jump on a secret option to enable something that they were having "taken from them", even for good reason?

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I might be getting a Vive tomorrow. I need some room setup advice from those of you that already have your Vives. I have a decent enough play space but I'm not sure what to do with the lighthouses. If I can just mount them on the vaulted ceilings, no problem. I'm not sure if that is an option though.

Thoughts?

room said:
roomsetupjek61.jpg

I might be getting a Vive tomorrow. I need some room setup advice from those of you that already have your Vives. I have a decent enough play space but I'm not sure what to do with the lighthouses. If I can just mount them on the vaulted ceilings, no problem. I'm not sure if that is an option though.

Thoughts?

That looks like plenty of room honestly. Just make sure the lighthouses are oriented so they're covering the entire area. I'd invest in some of those ceiling poles people have been talking about, you'll have to spend a bit of money on them as some cheap ones rattle a bit, plus clamps. Or some quality tripods + ball swivel mounts as it has made it MUCH easier to adjust the lighthouses than my permanent wall mounts.

If you don't have carpet however expect shit tripods to vibrate some and it will translate to jittery movement in game. Also avoid reflections, windows and sunlight IR it tends to not like those.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
That looks like plenty of room honestly. Just make sure the lighthouses are oriented so they're covering the entire area. I'd invest in some of those ceiling poles people have been talking about, you'll have to spend a bit of money on them as some cheap ones rattle a bit, plus clamps. Or some quality tripods + ball swivel mounts as it has made it MUCH easier to adjust the lighthouses than my permanent wall mounts.

If you don't have carpet however expect shit tripods to vibrate some and it will translate to jittery movement in game. Also avoid reflections, windows and sunlight IR it tends to not like those.

I'd like to mount them straight in to the drywall honestly. I assume they have the ability to tilt/pan once they are placed?

Karak

I'd like to mount them straight in to the drywall honestly. I assume they have the ability to tilt/pan once they are placed?

Any mounts can also be mounted through or with very cheap rubber, or soft material sound/vibrations absorbers for insanely cheap. I just saw a huge improvement on my cousins vive by using nothing more than felt pads between the lighthouse and the mount. Huge reduction in jitter.
Poles can be mounted with a small rubber thin slip between them and the ceiling and floor.

Any mounts can also be mounted through or with very cheap rubber, or soft material sound/vibrations absorbers for insanely cheap. I just saw a huge improvement on my cousins vive by using nothing more than felt pads between the lighthouse and the mount. Huge reduction in jitter.
Poles can be mounted with a small rubber thin slip between them and the ceiling and floor.

This is what I plan on doing. Any local hardware store should have some rubber washers.

132139.jpg

Charge still Pending since the 17th, but I just got my tracking number! Ordered at :17, Kansas. It will be here on Monday. I'll get a good couple of weeks with it before I move.

Bsigg12

Go it setup and played through a few different things.

Three very early impressions:

-Setup kept messing up because of a large mirror I have in the room with my PC. Got it to work eventually.

-The headset is heavier and hotter than the Rift.

-Full room motion tracking is incredible, even in the smallish space I have to play in.

Can't wait to play more stuff tomorrow!

Exuro

Charge still Pending since the 17th, but I just got my tracking number! Ordered at :17, Kansas. It will be here on Monday. I'll get a good couple of weeks with it before I move.
I hope that means my tracking number is coming soon. I've been pending since Sunday as well but live in NM so here's hoping.

Salamande

So, here's a funny thing.

It seems like my Vive is really sensitive to my plasma TV's IR emission. I'd been having some trouble with my controllers and headset losing tracking, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why. Finally, on a whim, I turned off the TV while playing, and the problem went away pretty much completely.

Unfortunately, this isn't an ideal solution when I have people over who want to watch. Not sure what else to do about it at this point, though, aside from buying a new TV (which...no.) Anybody else seen this problem?

It seems like my Vive is really sensitive to my plasma TV's IR emission. I'd been having some trouble with my controllers and headset losing tracking, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why. Finally, on a whim, I turned off the TV while playing, and the problem went away pretty much completely.

Unfortunately, this isn't an ideal solution when I have people over who want to watch. Not sure what else to do about it at this point, though, aside from buying a new TV (which...no.) Anybody else seen this problem?

block the ir port.

Evo X

Everyone here needs to buy Holopoint!

Think it might be my favorite VR game yet.

It's a little difficult when you first start out, but when you get a nice streak going, you feel like an absolute GOD.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Kind of a cross post from the Elite thread, but what kind of fidelity/performance can I expect out of one of my 970FTW's?

Really wish they could get SLI running with VR...

simonski

I have to cover my TV or else the tracking is affected. Had assumed it was because it's curved. Pretty certain it's still a problem when switched off, but will double check.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Where - between the lighthouse and the wing nut that locks it onto the screw thread? Or between the wall and the mount? Can't picture it.

If I wasn't going on such a big vacation later this year I'd probably be using all my money towards upgrading my PC and getting a Vive.

I'm actually a little happy to wait to be honest, even if I'm jealous of those that do have it, haha. Gives developers time to get more games out, and hopefully if I wait long enough the graphics cards that let me play VR games well might be cheaper too.

For now my little Gear VR at least will give me a tiny taste of what I can look forward to with a full-on PC-based VR device.

Durante

I should get in on Holopoint.

The problem is, when you start designing for room-scale movement and tracked controls (which I find incredibly exiting personally) then meshing that with traditional movement schemes is really hard, and often feels really lacking in comparison.

Anyway, we'll see what happens.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
setup is a bit odd. Kept saying I didn't have enough space - probably the width was borderline when taking into account the depth taken by the lighthouses and the controllers. Got there eventually but when the tutorial started I was under the floor, and the audio wasn't working

artsi

setup is a bit odd. Kept saying I didn't have enough space - probably the width was borderline when taking into account the depth taken by the lighthouses and the controllers. Got there eventually but when the tutorial started I was under the floor, and the audio wasn't working

I had the same problems first, the tutorial looked strange and took a while to notice that I'm below the floor.
Had to do the setup plenty of times before I got it right.

I believe I just did my 20th setup and put away of my Vive. I think from now on I might just skip room setup and quick calibrate to a small/medium room type ugh

Lurch666

I had exactly the same thing.I was under the floor because the "calibrate floor" button didn't work at first for me.Had to restart my PC and try again.

For the audio I manually had to right click the volume speaker in the bottom right of windows and set the playback device to the vive.I later found out that in the steam VR settings you can tell it to automatically switch to that when you start the headset up and switch back afterwards.

deadfolk

Do you lose the space behind the lighthouses?

What I mean by that is that they will jut out a bit from the wall due to the mounting fixtures. When tracing your play area, can you go right to the wall, or does it have to stop at the front of the lighthouse?

Scapegoat

Seems like it's around 8pm that it starts working. Not sure when it stops. I want to say its a total coincidence because it makes no sense, but it's been a week now and has been consistent.
Do you have the camera enabled? If so, have you tried lowering the camera rate?

What I mean by that is that they will jut out a bit from the wall due to the mounting fixtures. When tracing your play area, can you go right to the wall, or does it have to stop at the front of the lighthouse?

You can go right up to the wall.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

You'll lose a little bit, but can compensate depending on the angle you tilt at. Eg if you tilt it 30 degrees down, the field of view should be directly below the lighthouse. If you tilt it 45 degrees down it'll then scan 15 degrees behind itself, so by the time it hits the floor you'll have some extra space tracked, but there will be a black spot closer to the lighthouse. I suppose the best you could get would be 60 degrees down, as that should still track across horizontally, plus it'd track 30 degrees behind itself. You'd probably need to ceiling mount though as the tilting brackets don't seem to go that far - probably around 45 degrees max.

Just went through The Lab and a bit of virtual desktop. The Lab is a lot of fun but I actually noticed the screen door more than when I had my first demo. You can tune it out but its always there. And the fresnel ring 'glow' with high contrast objects. Not too bad though.

Virtual desktop is fun but I really wish you could use the vive controllers as a mouse - I moved my wireless keyboard/mouse to my tracked area (my PC isn't in that area) but it wasn't ideal, and you obviously can't see your mouse/kb but you can see the vive controllers.

Got a little uncomfortable after a while - it was pressing on the left side of the back of my head. Had the rear 'bracket' high up like recommended. Also need to play with the headphones as they were bloody annoying, constantly getting pulled about by the main cable. I want to also take some of the strain off the back of my head by somehow clipping the cable to my belt (with enough slack..)

my room is pretty small though - 2m x 2m and you basically get the chaperone pop up as soon as you put an arm out in any direction. Basically a standing experience - even in the lab experiences you can almost never walk to something so you just teleport close, which is fine but I think 3x3 would be a big improvement. Might try moving my PC to the living room for a test, as I think I can clear that space, plus one of the walls would be a sofa so not a hard stop like my spare room is. I think with the current space I'd be constantly wary of hitting something (I did hit my room light when throwing a stick for the aperture science dog)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
my room is pretty small though - 2m x 2m and you basically get the chaperone pop up as soon as you put an arm out in any direction. Basically a standing experience - even in the lab experiences you can almost never walk to something so you just teleport close, which is fine but I think 3x3 would be a big improvement. Might try moving my PC to the living room for a test, as I think I can clear that space, plus one of the walls would be a sofa so not a hard stop like my spare room is. I think with the current space I'd be constantly wary of hitting something (I did hit my room light when throwing a stick for the aperture science dog)

Try the other options for the chaperone, like advanced for the games you move frantically and developer for experiences like TheBlu where you have time to observe the shape on the ground. They are less intrusive than the default one.

Yea. I got 2x3m and I think the actual minimum for a real "roomscale" experience would be 4x4m

Yea. I got 2x3m and I think the actual minimum for a real "roomscale" experience would be 4x4m

I don't even understand how 4*4m is possible with a 15' cord. I'm actually pretty sure it's not unless you are 1m tall. Even if the cord is set to the middle side of the room you go to far corner and turn around you are not going to have enough slack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom