• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Oh, add me to the list of people leaning on virtual tables. Was just crouching in the lab to get a stick from the dog and instinctively reached out to steady myself on the table next to me. Managed to stop before I fell over though

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Final Approach is slowly going up in my top VR games. The tabletop approach (pun intended) works really well and the have a lot of diversity in the gameplay and levels. It's very polished for a launch game.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
whats the recommended way to get a good fit on this? I have the back high on my head so the side straps don't cut into or go over my ears but it still makes the back left side of my head hurt after about half an hour.

Zalusithix

I don't even understand how 4*4m is possible with a 15' cord. I'm actually pretty sure it's not unless you are 1m tall. Even if the cord is set to the middle side of the room you go to far corner and turn around you are not going to have enough slack.

Yeah, you'd need a longer cable with that size of a room in a traditional setup. With a centrally mounted PC either under the effective floor or above the ceiling, you could get a something approaching an 18' diameter circle. Add in a sufficiently advanced cable management system and you can get closer to the full 30' diameter. Either of those are more theoretical than practical, however.

Still, pulling that math out, and we can range anywhere from a bit under a 13x13' continuous square play area to a maximum of a bit over 18'x18' assuming a 6' tall person. The only reason it can't go to around 21 feet is because I need to give a cable management system enough room to get out of the way when walking through the center point. Edit: Actually, scratch that, the system could extend in the direction of movement after passing through it, regaining the lost slack. So yea, basically a maximum of a 21x21' pure square area with a bit more to the midsections if you don't mind making the play area into a more cross like shape. Then again, you'd still want the ability to duck, so that'd be shrunk again, so you'd be back to around 18'. (The absolute maximum of 21' would require a system with a motorized cable management system keeping the breakout box at head level. Technically you could get the full distance in any pose, but then the box would have to be on a vertical gantry in addition to it being able to shuffle sideways out of the way. At that point you'd be getting close to the complexity that you might as well go hog-wild and have the PC itself move around the room on gantries giving you an effectively infinite area - within lighthouse limits at least.)

Lach

Damnit. Of course they tried to deliver when I wasn't home. Called to check if I could pick it up at their local depot (DHL) today. The guy daid he'll call the driver to see when he's back.

Yea. I got 2x3m and I think the actual minimum for a real "roomscale" experience would be 4x4m

I've got about 2 x 2.75, and a reasonable chunk of the 2 is my sofa where I can only use the room above it with my arms. It's been pretty much fine for room scale, it hasn't made anything unplayable. Starseed is the only thing where I frequently had issues.

Lach

Yes! The delivery guy came around again, because I asked about the package! What a service!

I've got my vive! And a whole weekend ahead of me!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I don't understand the hatred of Windlands just because its doing something different. If you haven't got the stomach for that type of game I totally understand not wanting to play it, but the fault for that doesn't really fall on the game. For people who can handle it, the game works exactly as intended and is super rad. For those who can't handle it, they can figure it out and not play it. This is an entirely new medium and something as extreme as VR will work well for some and not others. The dev isn't wrong when saying the touchpad isn't great for the movement they want to do. You could say "then do different movement" but then you're just telling them "make a different game." That's not the game they're making, and the one they're making is extremely enticing if you can handle it.

One shouldn't want to limit others experiences just because it isn't great for ones self.

jaypah

I've got about 2 x 2.75, and a reasonable chunk of the 2 is my sofa where I can only use the room above it with my arms. It's been pretty much fine for room scale, it hasn't made anything unplayable. Starseed is the only thing where I frequently had issues.

Hmm, I've wondered about this. I have a 11x9 foot space but half of it is an "L" shaped sofa. If I could cheat the system I could gain another foot length and width wise (I don't mind leaning over the sofa a bit). Does it seem like it would be worth it?

Karak

Where - between the lighthouse and the wing nut that locks it onto the screw thread? Or between the wall and the mount? Can't picture it.

Anything that screws into anything else really. But here between the mount and the wall. Your basically just sandwiching a movement absorbing material between 2 that are not.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I don't understand the hatred of Windlands just because its doing something different. If you haven't got the stomach for that type of game I totally understand not wanting to play it, but the fault for that doesn't really fall on the game. For people who can handle it, the game works exactly as intended and is super rad. For those who can't handle it, they can figure it out and not play it. This is an entirely new medium and something as extreme as VR will work well for some and not others. The dev isn't wrong when saying the touchpad isn't great for the movement they want to do. You could say "then do different movement" but then you're just telling them "make a different game." That's not the game they're making, and the one they're making is extremely enticing if you can handle it.

One shouldn't want to limit others experiences just because it isn't great for ones self.

I think it's more along the lines of limiting your potential customer base to 10-20% of the currently minuscule VR market.

I'm sure once that market reached into the millions, some developers can cater to the niche that doesn't get incredibly sick for hours by using their product.

Compsiox

Banned
I think it's more along the lines of limiting your customer base to 10-20% of the VR market.

Most people will get VR legs and be able to play it.

I think limiting developers is worse than limiting the audience temporarily. Like I can handle FPS games in VR and I know a lot of others who can too but because the majority doesn't have VR legs we get n none.

I think that's wrong and I feel that more developers should take the risk.

deadfolk

So mine has shipped and I want to be prepared.

Is there anything you need to download to get going - I guess SteamVR from within Steam, but is there anything else?

That feeling when your Vive arrives 3 days early!

nipp.gif

Hmm, I've wondered about this. I have a 11x9 foot space but half of it is an "L" shaped sofa. If I could cheat the system I could gain another foot length and width wise (I don't mind leaning over the sofa a bit). Does it seem like it would be worth it?

Yeah, definitely worth it. You just need to be a bit cautious since chaperon won't warn you about the sofa, but it doesn't really matter because at worst you'll just slowly walk into it. It's obstacles above waist height that are really important because you can easily be quickly moving your arms about which is why people have smashed TVs or hit their walls.

Exuro

Well, checked my account this morning and my pending charge is gone.... :( I didn't get any messages that it was canceled by the bank, and it was there for a week so I figure the bank didn't have any issue with it. No tracking or anything still... HTC site still says pending fulfillment though.

Well, checked my account this morning and my pending charge is gone.... :( I didn't get any messages that it was canceled by the bank, and it was there for a week so I figure the bank didn't have any issue with it. No tracking or anything still... HTC site still says pending fulfillment though.

Mine is gone too and the money shows as available in my bank account again, but my Vive has already shipped and will be here Monday. I think I read a Pending charge is automatically removed after a few days, but that you don't have to worry how it affects your shipment.

Exuro

Mine is gone too and the money shows as available in my bank account again, but my Vive has already shipped and will be here Monday. I think I read a Pending charge is automatically removed after a few days, but that you don't have to worry how it affects your shipment.
Good to know. Hopefully I get tracking soon.

taoofjord

I'm okay with games using analog stick movements as long as the game requires it and the developer couldn't find any other way to make it work. But it's still early days in VR and I'd prefer developers try and figure out new ways of locomotion before deciding on/falling back on an analog stick. Wasn't Windlands made for a gamepad anyway? I don't believe it started out as a VR game (though I may be wrong).

Also, I haven't played Windlands yet but why wouldn't teleporation work in it? If the goal is to swing continuously without ever touching the ground then you would be moving primarily with your grappling hooks. Then whenever you touch the ground, just teleport into position again. Sounds like a good implementation to me (although the swinging would still likely make me sick).

Is it possible to change your Vive boot up environment then? Read something about a desert one, can't say I've seen the options to change it.

You can add dozens of options through the in-headset SteamVR settings menu. Browse workshop backgrounds and add them by subscribing to the workshop content.

Also, I haven't played Windlands yet but why wouldn't teleporation work in it? If the goal is to swing continuously without ever touching the ground then you would be moving primarily with your grappling hooks. Then whenever you touch the ground, just teleport into position again. Sounds like a good implementation to me (although the swinging would still likely make me sick).

Because you need to build forward momentum before swinging, I assume. You can't do that with teleportation.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I think it's more along the lines of limiting your potential customer base to 10-20% of the currently minuscule VR market.

I'm sure once that market reached into the millions, some developers can cater to the niche that doesn't get incredibly sick for hours by using their product.

I'm not talking from a devs point of view, I'm talking from a players. Players shouldn't be concerned if devs are making games that due to physical limitations a subset can play. If the very nature of the game makes it capable of inducing motion sickness, and you know you're susceptible to motion sickness, it seems absurd to call a game bad for inducing motion sickness.

I'm okay with games using analog stick movements as long as the game requires it and the developer couldn't find any other way to make it work. But it's still early days in VR and I'd prefer developers try and figure out new ways of locomotion before deciding on/falling back on an analog stick. Wasn't Windlands made for a gamepad anyway? I don't believe it started out as a VR game (though I may be wrong).

Windlands is essentially a platformer, which teleportation would break. It's all about running, jumping, swinging, and maintaining momentum. Even if they did have teleportation implemented, the act of swinging can be very disorienting in its own right, and swinging is basically THE mechanic of the game. The most disoriented I've been in VR is swinging, missing a grab, then aiming backwards without looking and grabbing a tree behind me, causing all of my forward momentum to instantly shift backwards. It's was a really, really cool moment but I also understand it could probably make some people hurl.

taoofjord

Because you need to build forward momentum before swinging, I assume. You can't do that with teleportation.

Ah okay. I didn't realize the ground stuff was that important. I wonder if they could let you lean in the direction you want to move. I heard about this kind of movement being tried but not how well it worked.

Onemic

Windlands just looks like a bad game to me. From watching people play it I can already tell it'll probably be pretty lackluster.

Just tried it at a gamestop. Unfucking believe able. I want mine NOW. Worth every penny. Any type of concern about fov, resolution, glasses fit went out the window the second I was strapped in.

Amazing shit.

taoofjord

For my first "VR Party" I've decided to give each person ~25 minutes with a total of four games plus the SteamVR tutorial:

1) SteamVR Tutorial
2) TheBlu: Whale Encounter
3) Audioshield
4) Irrational Exuberance: Prologue
5) Tilt Brush

Any thoughts from people who have demoed stuff? I'll be having about 7 people try it so this gives everyone a decent amount of time with the Vive. I might want to swap out Irrational Exuberance but I'm not quite sure (maybe something from The Lab). Job Simulator would be great to add but I think it benefits from a more extended session.

Just tried it at a gamestop. Unfucking believe able. I want mine NOW. Worth every penny. Any type of concern about fov, resolution, glasses fit went out the window the second I was strapped in.

Amazing shit.

What were they demoing?

taoofjord

Got my shipping/charge notification and steam keys today. It's going to be brutal waiting until Monday for delivery.

Congrats! Mine was delivered this past Monday so I know what that's like. Just stay busy and do something outside if you can or you may well end up going insane. :)

For my first "VR Party" I've decided to give each person ~25 minutes with a total of four games plus the SteamVR tutorial:

1) SteamVR Tutorial
2) TheBlu: Whale Encounter
3) Audioshield
4) Irrational Exuberance: Prologue
5) Tilt Brush

Any thoughts from people who have demoed stuff? I'll be having about 7 people try it so this gives everyone a decent amount of time with the Vive. I might want to swap out Irrational Exuberance but I'm not quite sure (maybe something from The Lab). Job Simulator would be great to add but I think it benefits from a more extended session.

What were they demoing?

I'd definitely throw The Lab in there, as I find it to be the Wii Sports of the Vive. The mixture of interaction and humor in small activities is great.

Onemic

Ignorance

Yup, I'm definitely not denying this. I know stuff in VR cant really be conveyed unless you try it yourself, but usually watching videos of people playing gives me a good idea of something that looks like it would be fun to me. Like Hover junkers or SPT, while extremely simplistic look like they would be a blast to play just looking at how people interact with the game. Windlands straight up looks boring. We'll see come a month and a half. Thank you based Valve for the refund option.

And based on the impressions of people in this thread, it seems like if I can get through Windlands without getting sick, I could probably handle Vorpx. That is if they make it compatible with the Vive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom