• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evo X

For my first "VR Party" I've decided to give each person ~25 minutes with a total of four games plus the SteamVR tutorial:

1) SteamVR Tutorial
2) TheBlu: Whale Encounter
3) Audioshield
4) Irrational Exuberance: Prologue
5) Tilt Brush

Any thoughts from people who have demoed stuff? I'll be having about 7 people try it so this gives everyone a decent amount of time with the Vive. I might want to swap out Irrational Exuberance but I'm not quite sure (maybe something from The Lab). Job Simulator would be great to add but I think it benefits from a more extended session.

I'd swap out Irrational Exuberance as I've noticed it gives some people a bit of motion sickness and dizziness.

Try the archery game from the lab. People seem to pick up the controls quite quickly and have fun with it. Secret Shop is also an option if you are looking for a more passive experience.

If you don't want to swap out IE, then at least give them a fair warning before trying it. Nothing is more off putting in VR than feeling sick.

Mine is gone too and the money shows as available in my bank account again, but my Vive has already shipped and will be here Monday. I think I read a Pending charge is automatically removed after a few days, but that you don't have to worry how it affects your shipment.

I also got my bundle code already! Have Job Simulator, Fantastic Contraption, and Tilt Brush all installed now. Tilt Brush shows up as Software instead, so it may look like you initially didn't get it depending on how you are viewing your Library.

Tdz59Pa.png

Wollan

Ordered the Inateck 2-Port USB3.0 PCI-Express Card that Valve recommends in their trouble-shooting guide in hopes it will help. Steam support responded once to my ticket with "what PSU do you got? what video cable is connected where? Redo troubleshooting for nth time and post a new systems report file.". Been waiting for 24 hours on further answers on that again.

#nofrustrations

deadfolk

Got my shipping/charge notification and steam keys today. It's going to be brutal waiting until Monday for delivery.

Same here. I'm going to be rearranging the room my PC is in to optimise space. Also, got my Mirror's Edge beta key, so that should help pass the time.

Comandr

Hey GAF. So my Vive got here today! super excited. Installed the base stations, got that all set up... Getting error 208 on the headset. Solid red light. Steam VR detects everything else fine.

So here's my setup and where I think I might be running into a problem.

My desktop has two 970s SLI'd. The first one's HDMI goes out to my TV, and is how I've been playing games. Okay fine. Now the Vive wants me to use another HDMI port. (or Displayport, which I don't have a cable for.)

Currently, the Vive's orange cables go into the box, and then out to my PC. The HDMI from the box goes into my SECOND 970. This is where I believe the problem lies, but I'm not sure how to fix it exactly. I've looked at some troubleshooting guides, and suffice to say some of them have been vague at best. Restart it. Unplug it and plug it back in a few times. Not especially helpful.

So I'm turning to GAF. Hopefully someone has a similar situation to mine and can offer some insight to a possible solution.

Onemic

Hey GAF. So my Vive got here today! super excited. Installed the base stations, got that all set up... Getting error 208 on the headset. Solid red light. Steam VR detects everything else fine.

My desktop has two 970s SLI'd. The first one's HDMI goes out to my TV, and is how I've been playing games. Okay fine. Now the Vive wants me to use another HDMI port. (or Displayport, which I don't have a cable for.)

Currently, the Vive's orange cables go into the box, and then out to my PC. The HDMI from the box goes into my SECOND 970. This is where I believe the problem lies, but I'm not sure how to fix it exactly. I've looked at some troubleshooting guides, and suffice to say some of them have been vague at best. Restart it. Unplug it and plug it back in a few times. Not especially helpful.

So I'm turning to GAF. Hopefully someone has a similar situation to mine and can offer some insight to a possible solution.

You cant put it into the first 970?

viveks86

The 970 only has one HDMI port. That port is currently being used by the HDMI cable going to my TV, giving me a picture.

If you want to use both the TV and the headset simultaneously, you need a displayport cable. It won't work on the second card. You would get it in any nearby electronics store.

libertytoast

Neo Member
Does anybody have any tips for using the Vive with glasses? I don't think my frames are larger than most, but when I put on the Vive they definitely put a lot of pressure on my nose.

Also, if I look up, down, etc without moving my head, I lose focus pretty easily.

Do what I did, buy a hdmi-to-displayport adapter for a few bucks.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think that's what I'm going to do. Thanks everyone for your replies.

Just get a DisplayPort cable for the vive? Why the complications with adapters and changing what your monitor uses? You're buying something anyway just buy the cable to go between the free port on your GPU and the free port on your vive box.

Dex815

Mine also started to ship today from Prague (to Berlin). Monday will be the day!

Also received the code for the games.

Now hurry up Pascal! I am afraid my GTX 770 won't be enough for many games.

Does anybody have any tips for using the Vive with glasses? I don't think my frames are larger than most, but when I put on the Vive they definitely put a lot of pressure on my nose.

Also, if I look up, down, etc without moving my head, I lose focus pretty easily.

For one I don't move the eye relief back, I keep it as close as possible, and they don't hit the lenses. You need to get the central strap right before the sides, just make sure you move the cables out of the way and push the headset straight on and hold firmly, set the headset fairly high and tighten, and pull the cradle down until the pressure is gone from glasses on nose, and retighten if you have too. I have a tiny gap when I look down, but not bothered by it, as it's very comfortable.

Everyone gets blurring around the edges, it's how the fresnal lenses work.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
To the guys who have it- how is the experience of playing non-standard (not made for VR etc.) games on it?

libertytoast

Neo Member
For one I don't move the eye relief back, I keep it as close as possible, and they don't hit the lenses. You need to get the central strap right before the sides, just make sure you move the cables out of the way and push the headset straight on and hold firmly, set the headset fairly high and tighten, and pull the cradle down until the pressure is gone from glasses on nose, and retighten if you have too. I have a tiny gap when I look down, but not bothered by it, as it's very comfortable.

Everyone gets blurring around the edges, it's how the fresnal lenses work.

I've got mine set to ~65mm right now, and they lenses aren't touching my glasses. I've also got the center strap adjusted so it cups my head in the right place.

I can try loosening the straps, then tightening once it's on my face, but I'm not confident it'll make much of a difference.

just realized king of Prussia mall has a vive demo unit

I might have to plan a trip in the near future

Hmmm, I'm "Only" an Hour and a half away...... maybe..........ohgodIwantto. Still a May person, but I should probably just wait till it's in my house and have the big VR experience then, I haven't tried a VR headset since the first Oculus dev kit in 2013.

I've got mine set to ~65mm right now, and they lenses aren't touching my glasses. I've also got the center strap adjusted so it cups my head in the right place.

I can try loosening the straps, then tightening once it's on my face, but I'm not confident it'll make much of a difference.

It definitely takes a lot of messing around with glasses, but once you get it its great, im pleased you don't lose any FOV either.

Have you looked at this?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/451454651/vr-lens-lab-glasses-for-virtual-reality-headsets

Zalusithix

65mm... Are you talking about the IPD? The value controlled by the small knob on the side? That's not the thing he's talking about (eye relief) which is the distance of the lenses from the eyes. The IPD is the distance between the screens and will never impact whether it touches your glasses.

jotun?

To the guys who have it- how is the experience of playing non-standard (not made for VR etc.) games on it?
Do you mean the theater mode, or using something like the vorpx driver to hack-enable head tracking in the game?

I tried the SteamVR theater mode with my oculus DK2, and the framerate of the games seemed to be a problem. The environment itself was fine, just the game on the theater screen was choppy/sluggish. I don't know if it was being limited to something like 30fps or if it was just a mismatch problem between the game's framerate and the theater environment's framerate. I'd also like to know if Vive users have the same issue or not.

It was better than I expected in terms of resolution/clarity. You still wouldn't want to play something with a bunch of small text, but I think most games that would work fine on a living room TV would also work fine in theater mode.

Minor complaint is that the theater room feels kind of small. I was expecting something like IMAX scale, but it feels more like a living room (with a whole-wall screen)

Qassim

How do you actually start games in the desktop theatre mode? Do you have to launch them from within the headset interface with the vive controllers?

libertytoast

Neo Member
65mm... Are you talking about the IPD? The value controlled by the small knob on there side? That's not the thing he's talking about which is the distance from the eyes. The IPD is the distance between the screens and will never impact whether it touches your glasses.

Oh really? What's he talking about then? I read through the set-up and don't remember seeing anything else about adjusting the Vive.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Do you mean the theater mode, or using something like the vorpx driver to hack-enable head tracking in the game?

I tried the SteamVR theater mode with my oculus DK2, and the framerate of the games seemed to be a problem. The environment itself was fine, just the game on the theater screen was choppy/sluggish. I don't know if it was being limited to something like 30fps or if it was just a mismatch problem between the game's framerate and the theater environment's framerate. I'd also like to know if Vive users have the same issue or not.

It was better than I expected in terms of resolution/clarity. You still wouldn't want to play something with a bunch of small text, but I think most games that would work fine on a living room TV would also work fine in theater mode.

Minor complaint is that the theater room feels kind of small. I was expecting something like IMAX scale, but it feels more like a living room (with a whole-wall screen)

Actually wanted to know about both- theater and hacked VR.
Also, no option of changing the screen size?

Zalusithix

Oh really? What's he talking about then? I read through the set-up and don't remember seeing anything else about adjusting the Vive.

Page 7 in the manual details the setting of the lens distance from the eye for glasses. Basically the big knobs on both sides, and not the small knob to the one side.

Edit: Also worth mentioning that while DOT DASH DOT has had no issues with the lenses at the closest point, Mikeside has scratched one of his Vive's lenses. Until we get more data points, the jury is out on how likely glasses are to scratch the Vive at any given setting.

jaypah

Yeah, definitely worth it. You just need to be a bit cautious since chaperon won't warn you about the sofa, but it doesn't really matter because at worst you'll just slowly walk into it. It's obstacles above waist height that are really important because you can easily be quickly moving your arms about which is why people have smashed TVs or hit their walls.

Exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the answer homie ✊

Krejlooc

Banned
Kind of funny - had my VR meeting last night and tons of people came (as expected, because the Vive and CV1 had just launched) but the devs for Chronos also showed up and gave a talk. What I found particularly funny is they had never tried the Vive before, so after the crowd died down I let them try The Lab and they were absolutely blown away.

Really funny to see what is essentially an Oculus first party dev get wide-eyed over The Lab.

Kind of funny - had my VR meeting last night and tons of people came (as expected, because the Vive and CV1 had just launched) but the devs for Chronos also showed up and gave a talk. What I found particularly funny is they had never tried the Vive before, so after the crowd died down I let them try The Lab and they were absolutely blown away.

Really funny to see what is essentially an Oculus first party dev get wide-eyed over The Lab.

That's ridiculous truthfully. Shows how inclusive these companies have been.

Has anyone come up with a good way to keep the cable off the floor? Holopoint is tangling it up big time, would a punching bag hook from the ceiling work? I tried an extendable dog lead, but it would wrap around my neck and head.....

Comandr

Boy. One step forward, two steps back.

So I bought a Mini Displayport to Displayport cable and have solved my connectivity issues. Now I have a brand new, arguably worse problem. When you launch SteamVR, the headset loads up the little hub. you can see your steam games, the controllers, and whatever 3D background you have.

Now when I launch a game, it starts for about 30 seconds and then just inexplicably closes. Sometimes its when I press a button on the controller. Sometimes it just does it by itself. Every game I have tried so far does this. I've gotten as far as selecting a putter in cloudlands, drawing half a line in Tiltbrush, and turning a valve a couple times in The Lab. Then I'm just kicked back out to my steam screen.

This process actually happened with my room setup as well. I actually had to race the clock to get through all of the menus to set up my room, before I could even launch a game at all.

For some reason, any VR application I launch is closing 30-40 seconds after I open it and I don't have a clue why.

Anybody got any ideas?

viveks86

Are u overclocking? May be your gpu driver is rebooting? Though u would get a message when that happens. To be sure, disable sli and any gpu overclock. Also make sure you aren't running other overlay applications like RTSS or fraps

Comandr

Are u overclocking? May be your gpu driver is rebooting? Though u would get a message when that happens. To be sure, disable sli and any gpu overclock. Also make sure you aren't running other overlay applications like RTSS or fraps

Nope. No overclocking. SLI is disabled. No weird programs running.

Steam Theater mode is really fucking weird. Tried playing Rocket League and...the whole feeding 2 displays. Wasn't worth the effort to change all the settings.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I got my Vive today and have had some time to play around. I no longer miss my DK2 I sold, that is for sure.

Hover Junkers is awesome. Thought I don't quite get the driving mechanic - it feels like sometimes I can drive from anywhere on the ship while other times I have to be at the hologram of the gun. Any insight on this?

I got my Vive today and have had some time to play around. I no longer miss my DK2 I sold, that is for sure.

Hover Junkers is awesome. Thought I don't quite get the driving mechanic - it feels like sometimes I can drive from anywhere on the ship while other times I have to be at the hologram of the gun. Any insight on this?
Once you turn on the ignition you can drive from anywhere in my experience.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
DIY Vive support system using the frame from a welding mask to take the weight off your face:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4g02du/i_made_a_super_mod_of_my_vive_max_confort_best/

Interesting idea. Looks like those can be bought separately. Edit: yup, it's actually quite a simple setup. Uses this kind of thing and then a little bracket was attached and a wing nut was used to clamp down on the plastic that the side headband normally comes out of.

I see a bit of a dent there from prior attachment, so would need a wider clamping method to avoid damage for warranty purposes. Add some rubber washers in there, good to go.

Think I'll give it a shot. It's like $15 of materials. Average weight of these is about 150g - not much at all with it distributed over your head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom