• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salamande

block the ir port.

Uh, sounds like the tv screen itself is emitting IR light, jot the ir port.

Yeah, it definitely seems to be the screen itself. There is no IR port, unless you mean the remote sensor, and that certainly isn't it.

I have to cover my TV or else the tracking is affected. Had assumed it was because it's curved. Pretty certain it's still a problem when switched off, but will double check.

I actually tried that, since I at first I thought it was because of the reflective surface - covered it with a blanket, it looked ridiculous. No dice. Only when I turned it off did the problems go away.

Guess I'll have to just deal for now, but I'd be interested to see if anyone else with a plasma was having interference issues (jitter, controllers floating away, screen graying out, etc).

Argyle

Guess I'll have to just deal for now, but I'd be interested to see if anyone else with a plasma was having interference issues (jitter, controllers floating away, screen graying out, etc).

I was having problems too, but I thought it was just the reflectivity of the screen. I solved it by switching to my projector (which turns the tv off and rolls a screen down in front of the plasma).

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Yeah, it definitely seems to be the screen itself. There is no IR port, unless you mean the remote sensor, and that certainly isn't it.

I actually tried that, since I at first I thought it was because of the reflective surface - covered it with a blanket, it looked ridiculous. No dice. Only when I turned it off did the problems go away.

Any interference would have to be infrared... are the base stations close to it? Maybe it's putting out some flashes of heat when it refreshes and that's messing with the sync pulses on the base stations. Could try putting up a solid object between them and the TV.

For my first "VR Party" I've decided to give each person ~25 minutes with a total of four games plus the SteamVR tutorial:

1) SteamVR Tutorial
2) TheBlu: Whale Encounter
3) Audioshield
4) Irrational Exuberance: Prologue
5) Tilt Brush

Any thoughts from people who have demoed stuff? I'll be having about 7 people try it so this gives everyone a decent amount of time with the Vive. I might want to swap out Irrational Exuberance but I'm not quite sure (maybe something from The Lab). Job Simulator would be great to add but I think it benefits from a more extended session.
Needs space pirate trainer. You have slow experiences. SPT can show that you can whip your head around and shoot anywhere and duck and hear something behind you and shoot it without looking.

TheBlu = Irrational Exuberence, redundant. I would take out IE:p.
High Points for the possibility of The Lab: Postcards. Ladies go crazy over the robot dog. Seriously I'm like "hey you're on top of this mountain don't it look great you can walk around and" nope they're just rubbing that robot dog's belly and playing fetch the whole time. You should try to fit it in.
If you have time, set chaperone to developer for TheBlu, then turn it back to beginner afterwards. And help them if they're going to hit a wall in theblu.

So is the blue demo not free anymore? I've got my Vive all set up and I'm trying to find what I want my first experience to be. Would love to try TheBlue first. Unless you all have a better Idea?

Bsigg12

So is the blue demo not free anymore? I've got my Vive all set up and I'm trying to find what I want my first experience to be. Would love to try TheBlue first. Unless you all have a better Idea?

Budget Cuts. Then be disappointed by how much everything lacks compared to even a demo of it.

Bsigg12

It's really fun but I wouldn't go that far.

Of everything I've played, it easily is the best in showing what's possible right now with VR and very well thought out, even for a demo. I've enjoyed my time with The Lab, Space Pirate Trainer and a few other things, but in terms of just best overall experience I've had, it's been from Budget Cuts.

Salamande

Any interference would have to be infrared... are the base stations close to it? Maybe it's putting out some flashes of heat when it refreshes and that's messing with the sync pulses on the base stations. Could try putting up a solid object between them and the TV.

I don't think the base stations are close to the tv - they're high up on a wall, in a fairly large room. If I have to cover up or otherwise obscure the TV, I might as well just turn it off anyway, since that seems to work.

After reading up online, it looks like some Samsung and Panasonic plasmas (mine is a Samsung from around 2010) are known for their unusual levels of IR interference. It seems like I was just unlucky on that score.

I don't even understand how 4*4m is possible with a 15' cord. I'm actually pretty sure it's not unless you are 1m tall. Even if the cord is set to the middle side of the room you go to far corner and turn around you are not going to have enough slack.

You have to take into account the lengh of your arms extended with the contoler in hand, roughly one metter. That's why 4x4m sounds like the sweet spot to me: you can move around 3x3m+ and still extand your arms afterwards.
With my actual setup (2x3m), I get frustrated in games like vanishing realms as making a single step forward then reach for a torch breaks the chaperon limit, making it feel like a standing experience rather than an actual roomscale one

Compsiox

Banned
Of everything I've played, it easily is the best in showing what's possible right now with VR and very well thought out, even for a demo. I've enjoyed my time with The Lab, Space Pirate Trainer and a few other things, but in terms of just best overall experience I've had, it's been from Budget Cuts.

I've played everything and I feel that Vanishing Realms definitely competes.

knife throwing in budget cuts is very meh to me. also watching node play it first might have ruined the experience for me. I think budget cuts is cool but I don't think it's the best thing ever.

Alright bros, enough of this friendly shit.

JRGyX2e.png

Someone come at me.

YuShtink

Yea Vanishing Realms and Budget Cuts are the best things I've played so far. Both are legit amazing. I haven't started The Gallery yet though, I have high hopes for that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I seem to have a couple of permanently green subpixels on the left screen. They're together with a gap between them so like a colon on its side. Fairly out of the main view so not super noticeable but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on any other issues. Not asking for a swap just yet with HTC still not in good shape with support

The other thing I only just noticed is that in dark scenes there looks to be a grey haze across the whole screen. Not always clear to see but sometimes it's very obvious

mrklaw

MrArseFace
DIY Vive support system using the frame from a welding mask to take the weight off your face:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4g02du/i_made_a_super_mod_of_my_vive_max_confort_best/

Interesting idea. Looks like those can be bought separately. Edit: yup, it's actually quite a simple setup. Uses this kind of thing and then a little bracket was attached and a wing nut was used to clamp down on the plastic that the side headband normally comes out of.

I see a bit of a dent there from prior attachment, so would need a wider clamping method to avoid damage for warranty purposes. Add some rubber washers in there, good to go.

Think I'll give it a shot. It's like $15 of materials. Average weight of these is about 150g - not much at all with it distributed over your head.

Didn't take long :) be interested to see what others come up with, especially if there is something that is easily adjustable for others when swapping around a lot

I seem to have a couple of permanently green subpixels on the left screen. They're together with a gap between them so like a colon on its side. Fairly out of the main view so not super noticeable but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on any other issues. Not asking for a swap just yet with HTC still not in good shape with support

The other thing I only just noticed is that in dark scenes there looks to be a grey haze across the whole screen. Not always clear to see but sometimes it's very obvious

Mines going back Monday, so I can be the test case :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Mines going back Monday, so I can be the test case :(

How long has it taken from initial contact attempt to pickup? And are they swapping it out or you going o be without a unit until they've looked it over etc? Who is paying for shipping? All these things make me wary.

What was the problem with yours?

How long has it taken from initial contact attempt to pickup? And are they swapping it out or you going o be without a unit until they've looked it over etc? Who is paying for shipping? All these things make me wary.

What was the problem with yours?

Big blue pixel smack bang in the middle, could be more than 1 pixel given the size, but not sure. It was REALLY hard arranging it, took 4 days from initial whine to Julia to getting a call from TNT. They are paying for it, think they are swapping it out for another.

I'm really loathed to do it, but it's not acceptable for a £750 bit of gear.

Just to add, Julia had to arrange the TNT courier personally, as repair wasn't organising it for whatever reason.

Like I've said before, flat out worst company I've ever dealt with.

Kevin

Does anyone here have any idea how committed to the future of the Vive platform, Valve is? Has there been any information about Valve continuing to improve Vive technology with HTC or if Vive was a one and done product partnership between Valve and HTC?

I'm just curious if the two companies have an internal roadmap and set of goals to continue working together to improve the Vive vr ecosystem. It would suck to buy a Vive and have future support for it to eventually be abandoned whereas Facebook and Oculus have long term plans with VR.

Has either company detailed the extent of the partnership and the long term shared VR goals?

Does anyone here have any idea how committed to the future of the Vive platform, Valve is? Has there been any information about Valve continuing to improve Vive technology with HTC or if Vive was a one and done product partnership between Valve and HTC?

I'm just curious if the two companies have an internal roadmap and set of goals to continue working together to improve the Vive vr ecosystem. It would suck to buy a Vive and have future support for it to eventually be abandoned whereas Facebook and Oculus have long term plans with VR.

Has either company detailed the extent of the partnership and the long term shared VR goals?

From what I understand, SteamVR is the platform and HTC's Vive operates around it.

So other companies could release a headset that is based on SteamVR.

Someone correct me if wrong.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Didn't take long :) be interested to see what others come up with, especially if there is something that is easily adjustable for others when swapping around a lot

This one might work out well enough for that purpose. There's a dial at the back for quickly adjusting the fit, and you could have a few replacement sweatbands for the front. The top-of-the-head one would take a bit longer if needed (baseball cap style peg in hole), but shouldn't be too bad.

I'll see if I can find any with different adjustment methods for that top strap.

dgco86

Man you guys are good at Hollowpoint... I get so winded and sore playing it that I have to take frequent breaks in between, and I guess my form takes a hit as I get more tired.

... And I really need my VR cover to show up soon. Soggy foam is nasty, even if it's my own drippings.

Jams775

Got my Vive yesterday finally and have some questions. Are you only able to get a clear picture if you look dead center in the lenses? The slightest deviation seems to cause some blurryness. I was trying to adjust the headset but the top strap is already all the way to the loop part and it feels like it needs to go further. Not sure about that.

Also the IPD setting. I think my eyes might be closer together than the setting allows for? I have it turned to closest possible and it is okay but feels like it could be better.

Are there any tests I can do to figure out my IPD? I also have the Fresno lenses set closest possible to my face if that matters.

King_Moc

Banned
I'm sure it's been mentioned, but for anyone in the UK looking to order VIVE, it's £45 cheaper at Scan (due mainly to cheaper delivery) and is still due to ship in June.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Got my Vive yesterday finally and have some questions. Are you only able to get a clear picture if you look dead center in the lenses? The slightest deviation seems to cause some blurryness. I was trying to adjust the headset but the top strap is already all the way to the loop part and it feels like it needs to go further. Not sure about that.

Also the IPD setting. I think my eyes might be closer together than the setting allows for? I have it turned to closest possible and it is okay but feels like it could be better.

Are there any tests I can do to figure out my IPD? I also have the Fresno lenses set closest possible to my face if that matters.

I used a printout (Google ipd test or something) that just had a ruler printed on it that you hold above your eyes and look into a mirror. Close your right eye and line up the zero mark above your left pupil. Then without moving, close your left eye and open your right, and view the measurement lining up with your right pupil. They recommended being about 20cm away from a mirror. I got 66mm with that which seems fine in the vive but I don't really know what I'm looking for to check. It does have a pretty narrow sweetspot in focus

bee

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but for anyone in the UK looking to order VIVE, it's £45 cheaper at Scan (due mainly to cheaper delivery) and is still due to ship in June.

yeah just noticed they have it, i get free shipping from there so that's a £57 saving, they're closed now so i can't phone but anyone pre ordered one from there? just wanna know if they charge credit/debit cards straight away or at shipping?

King_Moc

Banned
yeah just noticed they have it, i get free shipping from there so that's a £57 saving, they're closed now so i can't phone but anyone pre ordered one from there? just wanna know if they charge credit/debit cards straight away or at shipping?

Scan charge right away unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom