• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jin34

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Well, I installed it once on the now dead machine but that's it so I could still select 1? If this is true then I wonder what I should upgrade to... Sucks there are no more DD2 boards and would need new DDR3 ram. There's no reason to wait for sandy bridge if I'm getting AMD is there?

Depends on what AMD you are getting, price wise.

clav

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I know that, I'm worried about it activating if it senses that as too much of a change and won't activate correctly.
For Windows XP, I reactivated my key about three to five times total, so you should have no problems with Windows 7.

If the automated system doesn't work out, you'll get transferred to India. Some guy/gal will ask you to do the following things:

1. Read the last digits of the activation code displayed on the screen.
2. What's your purpose for reactivating?
3. How many computers is using this license?

Then, the guy/gal will instruct you to input a 20 or longer key code to activate Windows.

Jin34

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Kind of just want one of the $100 X4 because anything above that I might as well buy an intel.

Then yeah at that price range there would only be dual core Sandy Bridge.

The sli boards I find for AMD, none say anything about 3Gb/s or 6Gb/s on the boards, does this mean my SSD will go slower? Or is it most likely at least 3Gb/s with motherboards today?

Edit: Nvm, I'm just fucking blind. It also has 3Gb/s like my old board.

clav

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
The sli boards I find for AMD, none say anything about 3Gb/s or 6Gb/s on the boards, does this mean my SSD will go slower?
SSD drives only recently hit the 3 Gigabit cap, so if you're buying a SSD now, it won't matter ultimately.

SATA II is a standard for boards today so you can assume it's 3 Gigabits at least.

iNvid02

ITS NOT 2011 BAN HIM :lol

seriously though i need some SSD goodness, the velociraptor just doesn't cut it anymore
any recommendations on a good 128GB-200GB SSD?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
iNvidious01 said:
ITS NOT 2011 BAN HIM :lol

seriously though i need some SSD goodness, the velociraptor just doesn't cut it anymore
The OP of PC threads always gets banned so I decided not to post on 01-01-2011 :lol

Wait on next generation SSD's due out Q1 2011. Both Intel and SandForce will have new controllers out on a new process (also meaning possibly shorter life, but also condensing data and writes + encryption). Capacity should double as well.

claviertekky said:
SSD drives only recently hit the 3 Gigabit cap, so if you're buying a SSD now, it won't matter ultimately.

Mines a second gen OCZ agility I think I'm using currently. And I guess the X4 640 is the best bang for my buck?

Pctx

Banned
Nice thread Haz.

I'll be building myself a Core i5 2500 SB rig here in the next coming months. Going SSD for boot drive and WD Black 64MB SATAIII for my data/apps. 2011 looks great for PC's!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Mines a second gen OCZ agility I think I'm using currently. And I guess the X4 640 is the best bang for my buck?
Why not simply get a $100/$140 C2Q and clock it to 3Ghz so you can stay on your current system?

Hazaro said:
Why not simply get a $100/$140 C2Q and clock it to 3Ghz so you can stay on your current system?

Because the Mobo is completely shot and the only reason I'm doing anything with the computer. I assumed I'd get better performance from and AMD at my low price point than a Core 2 Quad? Unless you have a different opinion? I still don't know how much I like getting a used CPU especially if I can replace the mobo and get a brandy new AMD, unless one of the "new" intels using the 775 socket at $100 are any good?

claviertekky said:
Where can I get a $100 Core 2 Quad?

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0328258
:p

But he means a used Q9550 or whatever that good quad core was used which actually runs around $130-$150 used on ebay.

Pctx said:
Nice thread Haz.

I'll be building myself a Core i5 2500 SB rig here in the next coming months. Going SSD for boot drive and WD Black 64MB SATAIII for my data/apps. 2011 looks great for PC's!
pretty much what i am going to make, looking forward to some feedback on this particular build!

Mr_Brit

Banned
Hazaro said:
I wouldn't advise anyone to get anything other than SB at this point. Phenom II and Core 2 are already severely behind nehalem in IPC and OC potential. With SB taking a healthy lead in IPC and overclockability the former 2 are going to be left severely behind. e.g. an i5 SB will easily OC to at least 4.5GHZ at the minimum compared to a Phenom II or Core 2 which you'll be lucky to get to 4GHZ.

Prospective PC buyers: Wait for SB to come out in 2 weeks time, they'll be slightly costlier than AMD systems but will be much, much, much faster. Most of you should be able to get up to 4.5GHZ easily which will easily blow any current CPU out of the water. If you think it's worth cheapening out and going for a Core 2/Phenom II, then think again.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Because the Mobo is completely shot and the only reason I'm doing anything with the computer. I assumed I'd get better performance from and AMD at my low price point than a Core 2 Quad? Unless you have a different opinion? I still don't know how much I like getting a used CPU especially if I can replace the mobo and get a brandy new AMD, unless one of the "new" intels using the 775 socket at $100 are any good?
Yeah, might as well go with a $80 AM3 mobo and an x4 640. But for only $170 more you can get Sandy Bridge :lol
Mr_Brit said:
I wouldn't advise anyone to get anything other than SB at this point. Phenom II and Core 2 are already severely behind nehalem in IPC and OC potential. With SB taking a healthy lead in IPC and overclockability the former 2 are going to be left severely behind. e.g. an i5 SB will easily OC to at least 4.5GHZ at the minimum compared to a Phenom II or Core 2 which you'll be lucky to get to 4GHZ.

Prospective PC buyers: Wait for SB to come out in 2 weeks time, they'll be slightly costlier than AMD systems but will be much, much, much faster. Most of you should be able to get up to 4.5GHZ easily which will easily blow any current CPU out of the water. If you think it's worth cheapening out and going for a Core 2/Phenom II, then think again.
Yeah, but some only have $550 or $600 to spend.

The sweet spot is the $800-$900 range and most people aim around there (toss in an SSD as well!), but for some a budget rig that plays games is all they need.

Mr_Brit said:

For me it is, I just want this computer to limp along a little longer so I can give it to my mom eventually.

Hazaro said:
Yeah, might as well go with a $80 AM3 mobo and an x4 640. But for only $170 more you can get Sandy Bridge :lol

$170 is a healthy amount and I want to get rid of this eventually. :p

Jin34

Mr_Brit said:

I know, thing is for me I have a Phenom II X4 955 in working order with a busted mobo, so don't know if it's really worth it at that point.

okay GAF,

$298.00 is it worth it?

2.7GHz AMD Athlon II x2 215 dual-core
3GB DDR3 memory
500GB hard drive
16X DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti Drive
Windows 7 Home Premium
NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE

keep in mind I don't plan on doing any intense gaming on this thing. Mostly 2D stuff with maybe Oblivion thrown in for good measure. :lol

Wrekt

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Well, I installed it once on the now dead machine but that's it so I could still select 1?
Yeah. If you aren't actively using the license on another machine, just hit 1.

Mr_Brit

Banned
disappeared said:
okay GAF,

$298.00 is it worth it?

3GB DDR3 memory
500GB hard drive
Windows 7 Home Premium
NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE

keep in mind I don't plan on doing any intense gaming on this thing. Mostly 2D stuff with maybe Oblivion thrown in for good measure. :lol
You can forget about running Oblivion on that thing, I doubt you'd get more than 5FPS on lowest settings.

Hazaro said:
Zaraki, I just picked this board up for a budget build: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128424
It's $50 and uses DDR2, nice little thing.

I want to keep SLI I think so I can use my 2 8800GTs still. :( Stupid boards having to be more expensive.

disappeared said:
okay GAF,

$298.00 is it worth it?

3GB DDR3 memory
500GB hard drive
Windows 7 Home Premium
NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE

The Video card is essentially pure crap but other than that I guess it's ok if you want to cheap out. Just make sure you have enough balls to upgrade the video card with the included PSU.

"You can forget about running Oblivion on that thing, I doubt you'd get more than 5FPS on lowest settings."

I played Oblivion on a single core Athlon 64 3200+ and 6600GT at medium-high settings, 45-60fps. The only thing holding him back is the 6150, but otherwise don't forget just how old of a game Oblivion actually is.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"You can forget about running Oblivion on that thing, I doubt you'd get more than 5FPS on lowest settings."

I played Oblivion on a single core Athlon 64 3200+ and 6600GT at medium-high settings, 45-60fps. The only thing holding him back is the 6150, but otherwise don't forget just how old of a game Oblivion actually is.
What does what you just said have to do with what I've said? A 6600GT is dozens of times faster than a 6150SE.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I want to keep SLI I think so I can use my 2 8800GTs still. :( Stupid boards having to be more expensive.
Ah, that tacks on a lot of money.
Might as well sell them and buy a 460 with the extra money you save :lol

Thanks for the swift replies! Really, I plan on using it as more of a media (music) player. That fact that I can play old Sierra/LucasArts games on it is just a bonus.

Will the 6150 run the Monkey Island special editions?

"What does what you just said have to do with what I've said? A 6600GT is dozens of times faster than a 6150SE."

All your post said was "you can forget about oblivion running on that thing." "That thing" could be anything and the first assumption one would make would be that the computer as a whole is incapable which is false. Try being more elaborate than "THAT SUX."

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
disappeared said:
Thanks for the swift replies! Really, I plan on using it as more of a media (music) player. That fact that I can play old Sierra/LucasArts games on it is just a bonus.

Will the 6150 run the Monkey Island special editions?
Toss in a Xonar DG ($20 arter rebate on newegg) and maybe a low power card and you can do some light gaming (if you are interested).

Mr_Brit

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"What does what you just said have to do with what I've said? A 6600GT is dozens of times faster than a 6150SE."

All your post said was "you can forget about oblivion running on that thing." That thing being anything and the first assumption one would make would be that the computer as a whole is incapable which is false. Try being more elaborate than "THAT SUX."
He asked whether that build worth it and I gave him a decent estimate of the performance he'd expect in Oblivion. I didn't say that it 'SUX' as you said but gave him valuable advice that that rig couldn't do one of the things he wanted it to do. You then added that your PC which has a GPU which is dozens of times faster could run the game at good settings at a good framerate.

"He asked whether that build worth it and I gave him a decent estimate of the performance he'd expect in Oblivion. I didn't say that it 'SUX' as you said but gave him valuable advice that that rig couldn't do one of the things he wanted it to do. You then added that your PC which has a GPU which is dozens of times faster could run the game at good settings at a good framerate."

If you told him there was only one particular part that was preventing him from doing what he wanted to do your post would've been a dozen times more valuable.

Chill out guys, it's cool! :lol

If I can't run Oblivion it's no huge deal. I just want something better than the zombie I've been running for three years now (2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, burnt-out video card...)

Hazaro said:
Ah, that tacks on a lot of money.
Might as well sell them and buy a 460 with the extra money you save :lol

But then I will have to buy another GPU when I upgrade, that's why I want to reuse essentially everything except the cpu if $100 makes it a lot better since I have to spend $100 for an sli board regardless of it's AMD or Intel. And stop trying to make me spend money I don't have dammit! :lol Gotta save more after getting my hours reduced at work.

disappeared said:
Chill out guys, it's cool! :lol

If I can't run Oblivion it's no huge deal. I just want something better than the zombie I've been running for three years now (2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, burnt-out video card...)

See if you can find out the power supply in the computer, you can probably get like a $50 video card and Oblivion will be playable at least due to how old it is.

B33

Banned
Budget: $700-$800 (USA)
Main Use: Gaming and general use.
Monitor Resolution: 1280x1024 (HP monitor recycled from a previous build). Will upgrade to a monitor with HDMI in the future.
Specific Games I'd Like to Play: Mass Effect Series, Portal 1 and 2, Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, Team Fortress 2, Half-Life 2, Various Telltale titles, Crysis.

COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN3 CM690 II Basic Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $69.99

ASUS M4N98TD EVO AM3 NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard $139.99

EVGA 768-P3-1360-TR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 768MB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card $169.99

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX $159.99

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $64.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL $52.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM $99.99

Total: $754.93

As far as a power supply goes, what would provide a suitable amount of power for this rig as it currently stands?
Would it be beneficial to purchase a SSD rather than the Hard Drive tentatively chosen?
Overall thoughts?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
'Cause I got no reaction in the Bit.trip thread, I'll try here :(

After getting a new rig, I ran into problems with Bit.Trip BEAT: Over every few seconds, the game seems to run "too fast", if that's possible - the BLOOP BLEEP BOPs are coming in to fast, making the whole game/music connection totally out of sync for a short while. Then, after a few notes, some regulation kicks in (and its everything but smooth). Rinse repeat.

It really messes up the whole game, and I have absolutely no idea what's causing it.

Before: Stone-age P4 with GF9800GT, 3GB Ram, now Phenom X4 3.2, Radeon HD6850 and 4 gigs of RAM.

Please help, I really love the game :(

B33 said:
Monitor Resolution: 1280x1024 (HP monitor recycled from a previous build). Will upgrade to a monitor with HDMI in the future.
Specific Games I'd Like to Play: Mass Effect Series, Portal 1 and 2, Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, Team Fortress 2, Half-Life 2, Various Telltale titles, Crysis.

COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN3 CM690 II Basic Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $69.99

EVGA 768-P3-1360-TR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 768MB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card $169.99

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX $159.99

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $64.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL $52.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

As far as a power supply goes, what would provide a suitable amount of power for this rig as it currently stands?
Would it be beneficial to purchase a SSD rather than the Hard Drive tentatively chosen?
Overall thoughts?

If you're spending that much, wait for Sandy Bridge to at least see what it offers. Is there any reason you're paying extra for an SLI board but not using SLI? I would rather save the money and get a cheaper non-SLI board in your case. As for the hard drive, what do you want to do? SSDs due to their size are usually not done exclusively and usually used in tandem with a bigger drive to hold media/games and use the SSD for your OS and programs such as photoshop or the such.

Bufbaf said:
'Cause I got no reaction in the Bit.trip thread, I'll try here :(

After getting a new rig, I ran into problems with Bit.Trip BEAT: Over every few seconds, the game seems to run "too fast", if that's possible - the BLOOP BLEEP BOPs are coming in to fast, making the whole game/music connection totally out of sync for a short while. Then, after a few notes, some regulation kicks in (and its everything but smooth). Rinse repeat.

It really messes up the whole game, and I have absolutely no idea what's causing it.

Before: Stone-age P4 with GF9800GT, 3GB Ram, now Phenom X4 3.2, Radeon HD6850 and 4 gigs of RAM.

Please help, I really love the game :(

Have you googled and got anything talking about other people experiencing the problem? I can't imagine your setup is overpowering it to run to fast. Do you see any anomalies in your Task manager to coincide with the switching from to fast to the correct pace? It would almost seem like it's lagging and then going fast to kind of catch up.

Mr_Brit

Banned
B33 said:

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM $99.99

Overall thoughts?
Wait for SB if you can, if not then downgrade that mobo and get a better GPU unless you really want to SLI.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Have you googled and got anything talking about other people experiencing the problem? I can't imagine your setup is overpowering it to run to fast. Do you see any anomalies in your Task manager to coincide with the switching from to fast to the correct pace? It would almost seem like it's lagging and then going fast to kind of catch up.
Might very well be, but I found absolutely nothing via Google. I seem to be the only living person on this planet with that problem :(

No anomalies at all, at least none I noticed. I'm totally out of ideas here.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Bufbaf said:
Might very well be, but I found absolutely nothing via Google. I seem to be the only living person on this planet with that problem :(

No anomalies at all, at least none I noticed. I'm totally out of ideas here.
Tried turning on triple buffer vsync?

Mr_Brit

Banned
disappeared said:
Or guys, should I just say fuck it and buy a PS3? It'll do basically what I want a low-end PC to do, minus Monkey Island.
Yes or a 360. Both options will give you a much better gaming experience than that rig.

B33

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
If you're spending that much, wait for Sandy Bridge to at least see what it offers. Is there any reason you're paying extra for an SLI board but not using SLI? I would rather save the money and get a cheaper non-SLI board in your case. As for the hard drive, what do you want to do? SSDs due to their size are usually not done exclusively and usually used in tandem with a bigger drive to hold media/games and use the SSD for your OS and programs such as photoshop or the such.

Mr_Brit said:
Wait for SB if you can, if not then downgrade that mobo and get a better GPU unless you really want to SLI.
SLI board was a mistake on my part, as I was considering it, ultimately decided against it, and have yet to find another board to reflect this decision.

I'll hold off on this rig until SB hits and then decide from there.

As for a power supply, if I was to go with this rig (sans the motherboard), what would be an appropriate part to go with (general estimate is fine)?

Thanks for elaborating upon the usual procedure for SSD. I'll stick with a standard Hard Drive, for now.

B33 said:
SLI board was a mistake on my part, as I was considering it, ultimately decided against it, and have yet to find another board to reflect this decision.

I'll hold off on this rig until SB hits and then decide from there.

As for a power supply, if I was to go with this rig (sans the motherboard), what would be an appropriate part to go with (general estimate is fine)?

Thanks for elaborating upon the usual procedure for SSD. I'll stick with a standard Hard Drive, for now.

Eh, 500W from a good brand should be perfectly serviceable. Maybe bump it to 550W or 600W depending on if you think you'll upgrade to a more power hungry PSU eventually or plug lots of shit into your usb or something.

This has always been good to give you a rough ballpark. Most important thing is to buy a good brand.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Mr_Brit said:
Tried turning on triple buffer vsync?

Found the problem - As soon as I turned off MS Security Essentials Live Scan thingie, everything went smooth again. Damnit MS :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom