• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cday

Banned
WanderingWind said:
Okay, I know this doesn't fall under the hardware category, but is Crysis still the benchmark for awesome visuals? I need something to test out my new stuff and my knowledge is old.

Crysis still is and Metro 2033 is the most demanding. Mirror's Edge is a treat on the PC.

Running Crysis to test my new graphics (6950 2gb) card out, don't know much about this stuff but wanted to see if my results seemed normal. I'm getting an average of about 45 fps everything on ultra high with 8x aa at 720p (i'm using an hdtv right now, bout to get a new monitor). Phenom 2 x6 3.2, 4 gigs ddr3. I was honestly expecting better from what I've read, maybe I'm missing something...any suggestions?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Cday said:
Crysis still is and Metro 2033 is the most demanding. Mirror's Edge is a treat on the PC.

Thanks. I maxed everything on Metro. Looks like I'm ready! Thanks again PC-GAF. You guys rock!

ithorien

AllIsOneIsNone said:
Running Crysis to test my new graphics (6950 2gb) card out, don't know much about this stuff but wanted to see if my results seemed normal. I'm getting an average of about 45 fps everything on ultra high with 8x aa at 720p (i'm using an hdtv right now, bout to get a new monitor). Phenom 2 x6 3.2, 4 gigs ddr3. I was honestly expecting better from what I've read, maybe I'm missing something...any suggestions?

Crysis is very very very demanding.

Varna

ithorien said:
Crysis is very very very demanding.

Doesn't seem to utilize modern processors all that well, but it's an excellent game to test out GPUs.

Four years later and I still can't get a solid 60 FPS. But damn it's close. Were PCs around it's release even able to get acceptable frame-rates on very high?

ZZMitch

Varna said:
Doesn't seem to utilize modern processors all that well, but it's an excellent game to test out GPUs.

Four years later and I still can't get a solid 60 FPS. But damn it's close. Were PCs around it's release even able to get acceptable frame-rates on very high?

I think I read somewhere that even the machines Crytek used to make and test the game couldn't fully max out at the game at 60fps.

AllIsOneIsNone said:

I also just bought a 6950 2gb and I get around 30-40fps with a mix of high and very high settings at 4x aa at 1920x1080 so your results found reasonable in comparison.

ithorien

ZZMitch said:
I think I read somewhere that even the machines Crytek used to make and test the game couldn't fully max out at the game at 60fps.

I remember playing UT3 right after Crysis, and being appalled how much better it ran just because how insanely optimized it was in comparison. They definitely learned from that though, Crysis 2 has got to be one of the best optimized games out there.

ZZMitch said:

I also just bought a 6950 2gb and I get around 30-40fps with a mix of high and very high settings at 4x aa at 1920x1080 so your results found reasonable in comparison.

Glad to hear you're results seem to be on the same plane, gives me more confidence about my build. Here's to hoping games like the Witcher 2/BF3/Skyrim are better optimized.

LJ11

Alucrid said:
Ordered my X220, gave my brother my Mac, but the latest ship date is 6/1. :(

Thinkpad X220?

Got mine on Tuesday, ordered it on Easter Sunday. Initial date was around mid May. It's an i5/2410, went without the SSD (I'll upgrade later, didn't want to wait).

Machine is great, fantastic build. I've owned previous Thinkpads and this destroys all the other models when it comes to build quality.

Omiee

LJ11 said:
Thinkpad X220?

Got mine on Tuesday, ordered it on Easter Sunday. Initial date was around mid May. It's an i5/2410, went without the SSD (I'll upgrade later, didn't want to wait).

Machine is great, fantastic build. I've owned previous Thinkpads and this destroys all the other models when it comes to build quality.

i really want to know why people pay so much for a thinkpad, they have to be the most ugly looking laptops in the market right now.

clav

Omiee said:
i really want to know why people pay so much for a thinkpad, they have to be the most ugly looking laptops in the market right now.
Build quality is amazing for Thinkpads.

Ideapads, not so much.

The Thinkpads are not really that much more compared to a Dell (unless you're comparing Dell refurbished).

Welp, just about to place my order.

Stuck with the $1000 build in the OP, but it came out to about $1400 because of:

-AMD Radeon HD 6970 GPU

-Logitech MX 518 Mouse

-Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Keyboard

-COOLER MASTER HAF 932

-Windows 7

Time to hit "confirm". I better just get on with it before I back out :p

Thanks for all the help, PC GAF. Great thread and everyone here really seems to know their stuff. You guys are awesome.

LJ11

Omiee said:

Paid ~740.

X220 may not look great in photos but it's pretty slick in person.

Keyboard is great as well. Specs matched the entry level Macbook Pro, more portable and the battery life on my 9 cell is 10+ hours easily.

Pretty good deal, my T60 was a tank. I'm not going to stick my dick in it, just want a reliable machine with decent specs and battery life.

Edit: Macbooks, for the most part, are the only laptops that I find aesthetically pleasing.

Hey, does anyone here have experience with the AMD Radeon™ HD 6630M? I'm buying a laptop with this GPU and I'd like to play Portal 2 on it at decent settings (13 x 7 res)

clav

IrrelevantNotch said:
Hey, does anyone here have experience with the AMD Radeon™ HD 6630M? I'm buying a laptop with this GPU and I'd like to play Portal 2 on it at decent settings (13 x 7 res)
Portal 2 works very well on a lot of setups since the Source engine is so old. You should be OK with that although why are you buying a laptop with a dedicated graphics card? Yes, I know it's for Portal 2, but is it really worth it? What laptop in particular are looking for your needs?

If your priorities are to write and surf, then look into a laptop with an integrated graphics card, so you can have a long battery life. Also, the laptop won't burn your desk and won't weigh a lot.

Nafai1123

Banned
Ok, my board is definitely DOA. Beep code in the manual says it's a power issue, but I've already tried multiple psu's with the same result. I've already begun the replacement process with Amazon. Anyone had any issues returning computer parts to them before?

claviertekky said:
Portal 2 works very well on a lot of setups since the Source engine is so old. You should be OK with that although why are you buying a laptop with a dedicated graphics card? Yes, I know it's for Portal 2, but is it really worth it? What laptop in particular are looking for your needs?

If your priorities are to write and surf, then look into a laptop with an integrated graphics card, so you can have a long battery life. Also, the laptop won't burn your desk and won't weigh a lot.

Don't Macs have dedicated graphics cards? Why are they not heavy and hot?

Peterthumpa

So, I have a i7 860 @ 3 GHz, 4 GB DRAM and a 5870.
Will I be bottlenecked by my processor if upgrading to a 6970?
Will games like DiRT 2, The Witcher 2 and others run good enough?

I mean, should I worry for now?

clav

IrrelevantNotch said:
Don't Macs have dedicated graphics cards? Why are they not heavy and hot?
They're hot. As for heavy, they are not.

Didn't realize your budget was that big. Usually when you talk about new pc in a gaming forum, I assume you were going to do this for hardcore gaming.

Smokey

It ain't pretty and I probably have the wost wire management on the face of the planet...but everything is in. I repeat EVERYTHING IS IN WOO

IMAG0239.jpg

Will hook up monitor tomorrow and either be happy as fuck or cry. Also, why does my 580 have two 8 pin connectors for it's power. It comes with a Y type cable that you can sort of see in the pic where I've used one 8 pin connector from the ASUS which is connected to the PCI-E PSU cables that came with my power supply. Just wondering.

Edit: I'm aware I could've installed the pump of the H70 differently so that the tubes are placed a little better, but I just wanted to get it in. This hoebag has been messing with me all day.

claviertekky said:
They're hot. As for heavy, they are not.

Didn't realize your budget was that big. Usually when you talk about new pc in a gaming forum, I assume you were going to do this for hardcore gaming.

Oh... ha. yea, gaf is really the only forum I post on now, and no, my budget is not that big. I'm looking into buying a Dell Vostro 3450 for under 1000 dollars. The laptop I'm using now constantly clips moving images which makes playing even flash games an annoyance. With my new laptop the hardest I'll be playing will be Super Meat Boy

Fredescu

Smokey said:
Also, why does my 580 have two 8 pin connectors for it's power
One isn't enough to supply it the power that it needs. You need to have two plugged in or it won't boot. Not quite everything is in!

Smokey

Fredescu said:
One isn't enough to supply it the power that it needs. You need to have two plugged in or it won't boot. Not quite everything is in!

What

It only came with one 8 pin connector which I have plugged in right now. It splits into two 6 pin connectors from there which I have plugged into the PCI-E power supply cables. If this isn't it then what the hell am I plugging into that 2nd connector on the 580?

:(

Edit: Well I do have one more PCI-E cable for my PSU.

Smokey said:
It ain't pretty and I probably have the wost wire management on the face of the planet...but everything is in. I repeat EVERYTHING IS IN WOO

IMAG0239.jpg

Will hook up monitor tomorrow and either be happy as fuck or cry. Also, why does my 580 have two 8 pin connectors for it's power. It comes with a Y type cable that you can sort of see in the pic where I've used one 8 pin connector from the ASUS which is connected to the PCI-E PSU cables that came with my power supply. Just wondering.

Edit: I'm aware I could've installed the pump of the H70 differently so that the tubes are placed a little better, but I just wanted to get it in. This hoebag has been messing with me all day.

I see your graphic cards is not fully plugged in, plug in a second 8-pin PCI cable in it.

edit: what power supply do you have again?

iSimon

knitoe said:
Is the card overclock? Did you unlock shaders? If yes, shaders only or by using 6970 bios?
6970 bios.
However I get the same issue when I flick the bios switch to the untouched 2nd bios.

Smokey

Yes it is.

I plugged the 2nd set of PCI-E into the 580....but the other end (12 pin connector)...I don't have any open slots on my PSU for it. I only have 2 open and they are 10 pin and 8 pin.

sigh

I was on a high too

Fredescu

Smokey said:
It only came with one 8 pin connector which I have plugged in right now. It splits into two 6 pin connectors from there which I have plugged into the PCI-E power supply cables. If this isn't it then what the hell am I plugging into that 2nd connector on the 580?
I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean, but with that PSU you should be able to plug everything straight into the card using cables that came with the PSU without using any convertors that came with the video card.

Smokey

Fredescu said:
I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean, but with that PSU you should be able to plug everything straight into the card using cables that came with the PSU without using any convertors that came with the video card.

Ok so I took out the covertor that came with the card and the PCI-E power cable that was connected to it. So now I have one PCI-E cable coming from the power supply (has two 8 pin connectors on this cable). I've plugged both of those into my 580. So now I have 1 extra PCI-E power supply for the future or whatever.

I should be set now?

Smokey said:
Yes it is.

I plugged the 2nd set of PCI-E into the 580....but the other end (12 pin connector)...I don't have any open slots on my PSU for it. I only have 2 open and they are 10 pin and 8 pin.

sigh

I was on a high too

no, and I see I was already beaten, you have enough connectors for everything, thats a top of the line PSU, it has all the connections you need. are you using the PCI connector that came with the card?

Smokey said:
Ok so I took out the covertor that came with the card and the PCI-E power cable that was connected to it. So now I have one PCI-E cable coming from the power supply (has two 8 pin connectors on this cable). I've plugged both of those into my 580. So now I have 1 extra PCI-E power supply for the future or whatever.

I should be set now?

yeah, PCI connectors from the power supply and you should be good.

Smokey

evil solrac v3.0 said:
no, and I see I was already beaten, you have enough connectors for everything, thats a top of the line PSU, it has all the connections you need. are you using the PCI connector that came with the card?

I was yeah, but took that off after what you guys said since that was un necessary.

i'm sleepy

IMACOMPUTA

Saren is Bad said:
Built yesterday

Just played Crysis for about 2 hours, only got up to 40C CPU temps, so I think I'm going to overclock soon.

Absolutely love the case. Great job, looks super clean.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Post a lot of pics from angles incase something is missing :)

Remember the main 24 pin power and the extra 8 pin motherboard power.

Smokey

Hazaro said:
Post a lot of pics from angles incase something is missing :)

Remember the main 24 pin power and the extra 8 pin motherboard power.

Yah I got both of those in. I'll wait until tomorrow for the monitor I don't know if my heart can take anymore today.

Ashhong

Hazaro said:
Just nerding out due to what 'white' light actually is and how LED's don't work that way. Don't mind me.

Nerd out all you want. I just spent hours doing a physical chem lab report based on laser induced breakdown spectroscopy where we analyzed different lights and radiation sources, "white" light being one of them. I get what you're saying ;)

Smokey said:
Yah I got both of those in. I'll wait until tomorrow for the monitor I don't know if my heart can take anymore today.

no dude, you're almost there! plug that sucker in and install windows, set your alarm clock to wake you up in an hour.

Smokey said:

Lol nothing compares to the jolt you get when you see that motherfucker POST, though. Even my case, the 600T, has a slight delay once you punch the power until everything lights up, and I damn near shit my pants.

RooMHM

I'm sorry if I didn't lurk enough but I didn't find a "monitor" thread on GAF?!

Anyways, I'd like to have your opinion on 3D monitors. I'm planning to buy one (not for the 3D, but for 120hz *drools*) and I'm leaning towards Acer GD/GN 245HQ. I head it's the best but the colors are so-so if you haven't got a calibration device (this kinda scares me). What's your take? Is it useful to wait for new promising ones? Should I buy now?

Any other model suggestion?

Thanks

I am looking into overclocking my Q6600, and was hoping someone could recommend a cooler that would be good for me, I am clueless about this stuff.

Current specs: Q6600, 2GB RAM, 460GTX, ASUS P5N32-E SLI Motherboard, Thermaltake Aguila case

Also, would consider adding another 2GB of RAM if that would also boost performance? I seem to be at almost 100% RAM usage all the time. What RAM should I purchase for my motherboard?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hey all,

I'll be wondering this later this year but I am trying to help out a friend right now, what is the best laptop you all would recommend for around $1100?

Thanks

Smokey

Saren is Bad said:
Lol nothing compares to the jolt you get when you see that motherfucker POST, though. Even my case, the 600T, has a slight delay once you punch the power until everything lights up, and I damn near shit my pants.

What if you punch power and something BLOWS up?! I don't know what to expect. I did a lot of moving around of the mobo..one particular connector going into the PSU from my case has me a bit concerned. I used the 'peripheral' cable from the AX850. Didn't exactly slide in and had to use a bit of force.

FUUUUUUU

ithorien

Smokey said:
What if you punch power and something BLOWS up?! I don't know what to expect. I did a lot of moving around of the mobo..one particular connector going into the PSU from my case has me a bit concerned. I used the 'peripheral' cable from the AX850. Didn't exactly slide in and had to use a bit of force.

FUUUUUUU

Unless you really really really screwed something up, it just won't post. Then you fix it, it posts, and you're jelly.

I own the AX750, and it's all pretty plug and play. They only go one way from what I recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom