• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Omiee said:
i really want to know why people pay so much for a thinkpad, they have to be the most ugly looking laptops in the market right now.

My Thinkpad T-61 is built like a tank. This thing is indestructible. Having several shit quality Dell laptops in my day has made me appreciate the build quality of a Thinkpad.

I won't buy anything else.

Velion

number1jagsfan said:
I am looking into overclocking my Q6600, and was hoping someone could recommend a cooler that would be good for me, I am clueless about this stuff.

Current specs: Q6600, 2GB RAM, 460GTX, ASUS P5N32-E SLI Motherboard, Thermaltake Aguila case

Also, would consider adding another 2GB of RAM if that would also boost performance? I seem to be at almost 100% RAM usage all the time. What RAM should I purchase for my motherboard?
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ is probably best cooler for what it cost.

Any DDR2 800 Ram will work in your PC or this RAM right here will work just fine.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Speaking of gpu temps anybody know what kind of temps one should be looking for when it comes to the gtx 560 and a 24/7 OC?

Shambles

gregor7777 said:
My Thinkpad T-61 is built like a tank. This thing is indestructible. Having several shit quality Dell laptops in my day has made me appreciate the build quality of a Thinkpad.

I won't buy anything else.

Even when it comes to design thinkpads look better than most of what's out there. Some people like high gloss finger print magnets, ugly graphics and obnoxious LEDs but that's not for me. Simple and durable I love the thinkpads. However usually that doesn't end up justifying the cost for me as I'm low income but the definitely interest me. I'm rocking an IdeaPad now but the build quality is not the same, one drop and now my battery is only held in by glue :S.

TheExodu5

Banned
Corky said:
Speaking of gpu temps anybody know what kind of temps one should be looking for when it comes to the gtx 560 and a 24/7 OC?

Keep it under 90C.

Really though, you'll hit a noise or stability threshold before temps become an issue. The fan profile for the card will ramp up the fan to keep it at its desired temperature level (depends on the manufacturer...some stay around 70C, some around 85-90C). At some point, you're probably just going to find it too loud to be worth the added clock speed.

Corky

TheExodu5 said:
Keep it under 90C.

Really though, you'll hit a noise or stability threshold before temps become an issue. The fan profile for the card will ramp up the fan to keep it at its desired temperature level (depends on the manufacturer...some stay around 70C, some around 85-90C). At some point, you're probably just going to find it too loud to be worth the added clock speed.

Sweet, idling at 29C and load is anything inbetween 50 and 60 depending on game. Hopefully that'll give me some headroom.

PSA : If you don't plan on doing aftermarket cooler customizations with your gpu ( which I guess relatively few people do even amongst enthusiasts ) then a gpu with a twin frozr// direct cu-esque level of cooling is a godsend.

Corky said:
PSA : If you don't plan on doing aftermarket cooler customizations with your gpu ( which I guess relatively few people do even amongst enthusiasts ) then a gpu with a twin frozr// direct cu-esque level of cooling is a godsend.

I'm going to get a twin frozr...I think. Knowing me, I'll change my mind right before purchase. :/

Corky

black_vegeta said:
I'm going to get a twin frozr...I think. Knowing me, I'll change my mind right before purchase. :/

Damn child, you still haven't finished your build? I thought we were parts-buddies :'(

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Damn, you need to pull the trigger already and start building!

Corky

black_vegeta said:
I have 4 more parts to get...almost done.

Mobo
SSD
GPU
Monitor

asus p67 pro
ocz vertex 3 [insert size]
sli 560 or 1 580 or two 6950s
Dell UltraSharp U2311H

Done! push the order button, puuuush it! AE is upon us, I want to play with people ;[

bananaman1234

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone interested in a Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 at a discounted price? Only been used for a week. Nothing wrong with it, just want a slightly higher card. Send me a pm.

thetrin said:
Damn, you need to pull the trigger already and start building!

Need the greenbacks to get the parts first. Ninjas are broke these days. :(

I should be getting the SSD and monitor these weekend. Mobo and GPU are last.

Piggo

Could you guys have a quick once over these parts and check I'm not doing anything stupid or missing anything. I was aiming for a build around £800 and this comes in at £811 with delivery.

20110509-95wa8srrjwcy1hr95ggs15bak.jpg

Like many it's the first build I've done, so just trying to make sure I'm getting it right.

Zapages

guys for laptops Dell XPS 15:

would you recommend going for

PROCESSOR 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i5-2520M processor 2.50 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.20 GHz edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English edit

Dell Recommends
Get everything you need for work and home. Windows 7 Professional offers the features you need for business along with the great media and entertainment features of Home Premium.
Upgrade to Genuine Windows® 7 Professional, 64bit, English [add $130.00 or $4.00/month-1]
OFFICE SOFTWARE Microsoft® Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word & Excel w/ ads. No PowerPoint or Outlook edit
SERVICE PLAN 2 Year Basic Service Plan edit
VIDEO CARD NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M 2GB graphics with Optimus edit
MEMORY 8GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory edit
HARD DRIVE 750GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive edit
SECURITY SOFTWARE McAfee Security Center with VirusScan, Firewall, Spyware Removal, 15-Months edit
HD DISPLAY 15.6 in HD WLED TL (1366x768) with Skype-Certified 2.0MP HD Webcam edit
INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE 8X Tray Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive) edit
WIRELESS + BLUETOOTH Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1000 edit
BATTERY OPTIONS 56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery edit
SOUND OPTIONS JBL 2.1 Speakers with Waves Maxx Audio 3 edit

for 1000 dollars

or
PROCESSOR 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM processor 2.00 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 GHz edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English edit

Dell Recommends
Get everything you need for work and home. Windows 7 Professional offers the features you need for business along with the great media and entertainment features of Home Premium.
Upgrade to Genuine Windows® 7 Professional, 64bit, English [add $130.00 or $4.00/month-1]
OFFICE SOFTWARE Microsoft® Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word & Excel w/ ads. No PowerPoint or Outlook edit
SERVICE PLAN 2 Year Basic Service Plan edit
VIDEO CARD NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M 2GB graphics with Optimus and TV Tuner edit
MEMORY 8GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory edit
HARD DRIVE 750GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive edit
SECURITY SOFTWARE McAfee Security Center with VirusScan, Firewall, Spyware Removal, 15-Months edit
HD DISPLAY 15.6 in HD WLED TL (1366x768) with Skype-Certified 2.0MP HD Webcam edit
INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE 8X Tray Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive) edit
WIRELESS + BLUETOOTH Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1000 edit
BATTERY OPTIONS 56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery edit
SOUND OPTIONS JBL 2.1 Speakers with Waves Maxx Audio 3 + Creative SoundBlaster X-FI MB 1.2

for $1,155 dollars.

also how is the Netgear Push2TV Adapter for 80 dollars?

Kalnos

Banned
@Piggo

^Looks pretty good to me, just make sure you have Windows on a USB flash drive if you don't have a disk drive laying around already.

Fractal cases have really been impressing me lately, so good choice there IMO.

Zapages said:

for 1000 dollars

or

for $1,155 dollars.

I haven't bought a laptop in a while but if it were my money I would probably spring for the quad-core. Is that the standard resolution by the way? What other res options are there?

TheFatOne

I'm excited today I get the last piece of my new build. The only thing that sucks is I have to work today. So i can't put it together until I get back from work :(

Zapages said:

for 1000 dollars

or

for $1,155 dollars.

Damn that thing is a ripoff, the GPU is such weaksauce.

Get a new Asus G53 or G73 laptop. Check the Gaming Laptop Recommendation thread.

Zapages

BoobPhysics101 said:
Damn that thing is a ripoff, the GPU is such weaksauce.

Get a new Asus G53 or G73 laptop. Check the Gaming Laptop Recommendation thread.

I currently own an Asus M50VM-A1. Asus has been terrible with me, from my power supply burning out ie. actual smoke coming out of my laptop's vent. Also my recharger going bad and needing to buy 3rd party rechargers. So I am trying to avoid Asus regardless how great their laptops are. :(

opticalmace said:
I haven't bought a laptop in a while but if it were my money I would probably spring for the quad-core. Is that the standard resolution by the way? What other res options are there?

I could add this: 15.6 FHD B+RGLED TL (1920x1080) and Skype-Certified 2.0MP HD Webcam [Included in Price]

and it will raise the price to 1400 with tax/shipping. Is that still good? If we get this, its going to be for everyday use ie web browsing and other simple things like that. Or I might make my current laptop the desktop PC. Then use this for my own research.

Alucrid

Banned
LJ11 said:
Thinkpad X220?

Got mine on Tuesday, ordered it on Easter Sunday. Initial date was around mid May. It's an i5/2410, went without the SSD (I'll upgrade later, didn't want to wait).

Machine is great, fantastic build. I've owned previous Thinkpads and this destroys all the other models when it comes to build quality.

You paid 740? The fuck? I'm guessing you have some sort of discount from IBM or something? But yeah, the X220with just the i3. Before taxes it was $809 but I got the camera, IPS screen, 4 GB of ram, 320GB 7200RPM. I'm probably going to upgrade to SSD later on too when it drops a bit in price. I started out with Thinkpads and going back to them feel so good. I got a nice discount of this too...10% off with a coupon code and my dad worked for IBM so the 2GB of ram was free and there was a slight discount on the upgrades and computer itself.

Omiee said:
i really want to know why people pay so much for a thinkpad, they have to be the most ugly looking laptops in the market right now.

I don't think they're ugly. They're really nice and clean cut, not gaudy like most of the laptops out there now. They're work machines and the X220 is sleek and light as hell.

Oh red nub, I'm ready. Fuck trackpads.

Smokey said:
Yes it is.

I plugged the 2nd set of PCI-E into the 580....but the other end (12 pin connector)...I don't have any open slots on my PSU for it. I only have 2 open and they are 10 pin and 8 pin.

sigh

I was on a high too
I used the corsair 750 and am using the evga 580 sc. I just used the pci power connectors...I'm not sure where you could've used them? There's no need to used the adapters that came with the 580 run it straight to the psu.

ithorien

The Teachinator said:
I used the corsair 750 and am using the evga 580 sc. I just used the pci power connectors...I'm not sure where you could've used them? There's no need to used the adapters that came with the 580 run it straight to the psu.

Maybe he took the 12 volt to the vid card by mistake. Make sure you check the manual to verify which cables are what if you're confused.

black_vegeta said:
I'm thinking about getting gaming headphones for my soon to be rig, do I need a sound card to get the most of out of them?
I'm not sure what gaming headphones are, but in general, not really. If you have some really nice headphones then you should get a headphone DAC and amp for the best sound quality, but for gaming I would definitely not bother personally.

Unless you mean some funky 5.1 stuff, I don't know about those.

opticalmace said:
I'm not sure what gaming headphones are, but in general, not really. If you have some really nice headphones then you should get a headphone DAC and amp for the best sound quality, but for gaming I would definitely not bother personally.

Unless you mean some funky 5.1 stuff, I don't know about those.

Sorry I wasn't clear beforehand. Yeah, 5.1 headphones are the ones I'm looking into getting.

Exodus, Scogoth, etc, can I please get some help???

ithorien

black_vegeta said:
Sorry I wasn't clear beforehand. Yeah, 5.1 headphones are the ones I'm looking into getting.

Exodus, Scogoth, etc, can I please get some help???

I'm a little biased towards my Astro A40s, but it might be because they were $250. There's only one thing that bothers me about them, and that's a little balance issue when lowering the volume. Otherwise, I absolutely love them.

vexvegaz

No dedicated sound card necessary. like mace suggested, use your onboard sound, pick up a nice set of 5.1 cans w/ amp and link it using optical TOS link.

ithorien

vexvegaz said:
No dedicated sound card necessary. like mace suggested, use your onboard sound, pick up a nice set of 5.1 cans w/ amp and link it using optical TOS link.

Au contraire, mon frere. Most (all?) onboard doesn't output 5.1 through coax/optical.

Alright, so I shipped my PC and I got it today and...

Fuck.

At first I couldn't see anything, the VGA LED was light on my mobo (I have a asus p8p67 pro and my GPU is a radeon 6950 overclocked to a 6970)

after a few resets or so, I finally got my shit to work. but I noticed that my monitor had funny images..but it eventually worked fine. then when i started dragging stuff on my desktop/cleaning stuff out, suddenly my screen went blank and all you could see was just weird shit that i can't describe, but basically the image was gone----but my music was playing

i've tried removing/putting it back in, putting it in the 2nd PCI slot, but I still get the VGA LED light and I don't know what to do :( I don't know if my mobo or GPU is busted. anyone might have a clue?

I felt like I packed it really well. I kept the foams that came with my PC's case and stuffed the box with clothing...but I dont know :( :(

ph33nix said:

Fuck.

At first I couldn't see anything, the VGA LED was light on my mobo (I have a asus p8p67 pro and my GPU is a radeon 6950 overclocked to a 6970)

after a few resets or so, I finally got my shit to work. but I noticed that my monitor had funny images..but it eventually worked fine. then when i started dragging stuff on my desktop/cleaning stuff out, suddenly my screen went blank and all you could see was just weird shit that i can't describe, but basically the image was gone----but my music was playing

i've tried removing/putting it back in, putting it in the 2nd PCI slot, but I still get the VGA LED light and I don't know what to do :( I don't know if my mobo or GPU is busted. anyone might have a clue?

I felt like I packed it really well. I kept the foams that came with my PC's case and stuffed the box with clothing...but I dont know :( :(
What does the manual say the VGA LED being lit means?

opticalmace said:
What does the manual say the VGA LED being lit means?

I can't even find the manual in person or online and it's pissing me off. I'm assuming it just means there's a problem displaying image...which is obvious to me

i found the manual it just says that there's an error found during the POST

ph33nix said:
I can't even find the manual in person or online and it's pissing me off. I'm assuming it just means there's a problem displaying image...which is obvious to me

i found the manual it just says that there's an error found during the POST
does it beep just once during boot?

do you have another video card you could try?

When I plug my old 8800gts into a secondary PCI-E slot it bumps the speed of my 460's PCI-E slot from 16x to 8x.

Why does this happen? is there some way I can make it run at 16x with the 8800 for Physx?

If not, is it even worth it to run with the 8800 for Physx?

halp

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Pookaki said:
When I plug my old 8800gts into a secondary PCI-E slot it bumps the speed of my 460's PCI-E slot from 16x to 8x.

Why does this happen? is there some way I can make it run at 16x with the 8800 for Physx?

halp
8x is fine. Your mobo is just splitting the bandwidth since it is a chipset limitation.
ph33nix said:
Yeah, don't have an extra one of either. This fucking sucks.

and my PC doesn't beep
Take it apart and put it back together, bare minimum (1stick RAM, no DVD), outside of the case.

Hazaro said:
8x is fine. Your mobo is just splitting the bandwidth since it is a chipset limitation.

Take it apart and put it back together, bare minimum (1stick RAM, no DVD), outside of the case.

alright i'll try that

i hope this works. i had to be without my baby for over a week...

Nafai1123

Banned
Just gotta mention, ordering parts from Amazon is awesome. I emailed them about replacing my DOA mobo yesterday (haven't even shipped it back yet) and they already shipped out a replacement today. Supposed to be here on Wednesday. :D

knitoe

Pookaki said:

halp
Because, bandwidth are shared by all the slots and the Intel chipset doesn't provide enough. The highest end boards also include a Nvidia chipset (added $) Which allows 2-3 x16 lanes. Difference between x16 vs x8 only really noticeable at res >1920. Have you tried running physx card in 3rd slot so hopefully it runs at 4x and 1st slot still does x16?

knitoe said:
Because, bandwidth are shared by all the slots and the Intel chipset doesn't provide enough. The highest end boards also include a Nvidia chipset (added $) Which allows 2-3 x16 lanes. Difference between x16 vs x8 only really noticeable at res >1920. Have you tried running physx card in 3rd slot so hopefully it runs at 4x and 1st slot still does x16?
I play at 1920x1080 so even if it still knocks the speed down to 8x you are saying that I will not take a performance hit?

I will throw it down into the 3rd slot when I get home. Altho I am not sure that it is even worth the extra heat and power consumption to have it in there.

knitoe

ph33nix said:

Fuck.

Hopefully, you didn't flash your 6950 with 6970 bios. If you did, the extra voltage use on real 6970 may have bricked your 6950.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom