• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Extollere said:
Does anyone have the GTX 460 SE? It's the gimped version of the regular 460 card (less cores or something). It's on sale right now on Amazon for $109 with rebates, which is about a hundred dollars less than the standard 460. Worth it? Or crap card?

Surely benchmarks would give you an insight into whether or not it's a worthy upgrade?

I know this has been asked previously multiple times (now that I'm in the market for one), but is the Intel 510 SSD that big of a difference over the 320?

blanky

black_vegeta said:
I know this has been asked previously multiple times (know that I'm in the market for one), but is the Intel 510 SSD that big of a difference over the 320?

Only significantly in things like loading in a game. But not enormously and thats it really.

Smokey

I had it in my mind that I'd be able to hit the 4.7-4.8 range. Then again I haven't tried to do it manually, just the ASUS tool.

Oh and speaking of games...Crysis 2 is boring as fuck...but fuck if it doesn't look good.

1080p on Extreme settings pulling 57-60 fps.

lolonsoles

InertiaXr

Does anybody know why I wouldn't be able to keep a folder from continually returning to read-only? I can go into properties and turn read-only off, apply, then right click - properties again and it puts it back on. I am on windows 7 and have the UAC shit turned off which is what google has told me was the problem, but it still won't take my settings....

Pittst0p

Neo Member
Gaf first custom pc need guidance!

24w6ogp.png

Also had trouble deciding between
the MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II OC Radeon HD 6950 2GB above
or the MSI 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB which i originally chose

currently using a laptop and a razer naga

I want to get my first gaming pc but I don't know that much about the components; so I need some help and will have many questions. I put this together by looking at this thread and I was wondering if it will work:

2.png

Basic Desktop Questions:
Your Current Specs: Laptop
Budget: Around $1.5k, USA
Main Use: Gaming, general usage
Monitor Resolution: Aiming for 1920×1080
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: The Witcher 2, Skyrim, Battlefield 3
Are reusing any parts?: Nope.
When will you build?: Now
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe

There is a few things I am worried about the harddrive(Is it 7200rpm?, Is there something better?), the video card (Is there something better around that price?), and the power supply.

Has anyone used the NCIXUS assembly option? How does I work?

Is there is any components that can be change for a lower cost that will have the same performance? Am I missing anything?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Smokey said:
I had it in my mind that I'd be able to hit the 4.7-4.8 range. Then again I haven't tried to do it manually, just the ASUS tool.

Oh and speaking of games...Crysis 2 is boring as fuck...but fuck if it doesn't look good.

lolonsoles
In your head doesn't equal real world. And your actual results are very close anyway. Disappointed and a frowny face for 0.1 less than an arbitrary target you invented is pretty good.

Plus you used the ASUS tools which aren't great, so you could probably tweak it a bit higher.

Plus you aren't going to get noticeable benefits other than ticking a box. Running an emulator is about the only thing that's CPU bound for gaming, and 4.6GHz is still loads

Just relax and use it

Jarmel

Banned
Does the CPU matter right now in terms of gaming? Last time I checked GPU was still limiting factor so I was wondering if Sandy Bridge makes a difference gaming-wise. I'm looking into upgrading my rig at the end of this year and wondering if I just need to upgrade the GPUs or the entire thing.

Jarmel said:
Does the CPU matter right now in terms of gaming? Last time I checked GPU was still limiting factor so I was wondering if Sandy Bridge makes a difference gaming-wise. I'm looking into upgrading my rig at the end of this year and wondering if I just need to upgrade the GPUs or the entire thing.
If you have a relatively modern quad-core you're probably fine. What are your pc specs?

Jarmel

Banned
opticalmace said:
Huh, what games are giving you trouble such that you want to upgrade? What res do you play at?

Two monitors at 2560x1600 but really I only game with one so just 2560x1600. By the end of the year, I'm expecting certain games such as Rage are going to be rather demanding.

Jarmel said:
Two monitors at 2560x1600 but really I only game with one so just 2560x1600. By the end of the year, I'm expecting certain games such as Rage are going to be rather demanding.
Your system is quite capable, and if you're not having trouble now there's nothing to do but wait and see.

Whether your CPU bottlenecks your GPU or vice versa I'm not sure. They're probably pretty close.

When you start being dissatisfied with your performance (presumably later this year) you can check out the new graphics cards (e.g. radeon 7000 series) and decide then.

Wazzim

Banned
Jarmel said:
At 2560x1600 I would go for 2gb cards like the 6950/70 in crossfire, will get you more than enough to max things out on a smooth framerate.

knitoe

Smokey said:

lolonsoles
Pretty sure, you can hit 4.7-4.8 if you want to. It depends on how much voltage and how high the temps you are willing accept. I am sure my CPU can probably do 5.0, but have to use ~1.45V and high 80C. Not worth the long term risk when I plan to run this computer for a few years.

Pookaki said:
I'm looking for an after market CPU heatsink/fan I see a lot of people touting the Cooler master 212 Is this considered the best at its price point?

Any other suggestions? I have the i5 2500k (might overclock in the future)
It's probably the best performance / price ration. Many people, including me, here are using it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
SneakyStephan said:
95 percent sure I saw a bunch of benchmarks less than a month ago testing a bunch of newer and older cpus, showing the first phenoms (the quad cores at least) not bottlenecking most new games. (sc2 and maybe 1-2 others being the exception).

Framerates were pretty much identical on all ahtlon II , phenom x4, Phenom II's, core2quads and core 2 duos above a decent clockspeed treshold.

I don't have the link anymore to prove it though.
Perhaps I'm confusing it with the old core2quads, but I'm pretty sure the phenom x4 was included in the positive results.
I looked back at some early stuff when benches came out. It's still slower than a Q6600 (which is not the best right now), but the graphs made me remember the benchmark is 'artificial' in that it caps at (say 55fps in Crysis), but you still get 55fps out of it. If you have a good card and turn CPU intensive stuff down it should balance out nicely.

Get that GPU upgrade first. (I actually remember doing all of this for C2D when I was upgrading, come to think of it)
Pittst0p said:
Gaf first custom pc need guidance!

24w6ogp.png

Also had trouble deciding between
the MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II OC Radeon HD 6950 2GB above
or the MSI 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB which i originally chose

currently using a laptop and a razer naga
Get a SATA DVD drive
Get an MSI 45/55/65 mobo or ASRock $120 mobo or ASUS P8P67 PRO
Maybe a CM 212 + heatsink if you want that
Also there's a 22" Hanns-G 1080p monitor for $120 on sale this weekend
flashbandit16 said:
I want to get my first gaming pc but I don't know that much about the components; so I need some help and will have many questions. I put this together by looking at this thread and I was wondering if it will work:

2.png

Basic Desktop Questions:
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: The Witcher 2, Skyrim, Battlefield 3

There is a few things I am worried about the harddrive(Is it 7200rpm?, Is there something better?), the video card (Is there something better around that price?), and the power supply.

Is there is any components that can be change for a lower cost that will have the same performance? Am I missing anything?
2500K unless you have a specific need for heavy video editing/modelling
WD Green is 5400rpm. I was running a Samsung 2TB (5400 rpm) as my OS for a month and it was fine.
Assembly is an option to add to cart somewhere for $40 or $50.
6950 might be cheaper since you are ordering from NCIX
CM 212 + instead of H70 unless you REALLY like the looks of it, or want to say you have water cooling.

Easy -$170 there

You can cut budget down if you will run a single card. (520w seasonic, see above reply for motherboards.
Pookaki said:
I'm looking for an after market CPU heatsink/fan I see a lot of people touting the Cooler master 212 Is this considered the best at its price point?

Any other suggestions? I have the i5 2500k (might overclock in the future)
It is clearly the best for many and it is $30.

Hazaro said:
flashbandit16 said:

Basic Desktop Questions:

2500K unless you have a specific need for heavy video editing/modelling
WD Green is 5400rpm. I was running a Samsung 2TB (5400 rpm) as my OS for a month and it was fine.
Assembly is an option to add to cart somewhere for $40 or $50.
6950 might be cheaper since you are ordering from NCIX
CM 212 + instead of H70 unless you REALLY like the looks of it, or want to say you have water cooling.

Easy -$170 there

You can cut budget down if you will run a single card. (520w seasonic, see above reply for motherboards.
Thank you for the help. I couldn't find a 6950 for cheaper but there is this one; is it worth the extra $30.

Ultrabum

BloodySinner said:
I'd like to know how the fuck dust is still entering my 600T even with it's dust filters.

I also have a huge dust problem as my computer is on a hardwood floor and the room is messy ><

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
flashbandit16 said:
Thank you for the help. I couldn't find a 6950 for cheaper but there is this one; is it worth the extra $30.

http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=58501&promoid=1026&vpn=11188-01-40G&manufacture=SAPPHIRE

That is the same price, I'd go with the 6950 since it's a little more powerful. It's a 1GB model, but the difference is negligible unless you are gaming on multiple monitors or using a ton of SSAA.

If you have a reason to prefer NVidia, the two cards are close enough you're not losing all that much performance by getting the 560.

Smokey

mrklaw said:
In your head doesn't equal real world. And your actual results are very close anyway. Disappointed and a frowny face for 0.1 less than an arbitrary target you invented is pretty good.

Plus you used the ASUS tools which aren't great, so you could probably tweak it a bit higher.

Plus you aren't going to get noticeable benefits other than ticking a box. Running an emulator is about the only thing that's CPU bound for gaming, and 4.6GHz is still loads

Just relax and use it

I have been using it and enjoy it :p.
And I thought that as well...I could probably get it to 4.7 or so if I wanted to by learning about OCing and everything that comes with it, but i don't feel like going through all of that right now.

Forkball

Ok, here's my new list. I took a lot of stuff from the OP and recommendations here and from other places. Any tips? Know any other good wireless options/cards? Should I splurge for the 2GB 6950 or is the card I have on the list enough? I heard that XFX cards fry easily, any experience with this? Thanks a lot.

clav

BloodySinner said:
I'd like to know how the fuck dust is still entering my 600T even with it's dust filters.
If you have pets, nearby carpet, and open windows (dirt), then yeah, there's your problem.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Forkball said:
Ok, here's my new list. I took a lot of stuff from the OP and recommendations here and from other places. Any tips? Know any other good wireless options/cards? Should I splurge for the 2GB 6950 or is the card I have on the list enough? I heard that XFX cards fry easily, any experience with this? Thanks a lot.

I'll point out this combo again, while the components you have on there are fine this would save you $10 after rebate and be equally good:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.638507

This RAM I mentioned before is faster and cheaper, no downsides:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277

Get the Hyper 212 Plus elsewhere if possible, Newegg is kind of price gouging by selling it for $40. Same with Windows if possible.

I can't really comment much on wireless cards and stuff, but if you can afford to step up to a 6950 it would be a pretty big jump. The 1GB model would be fine too unless you are using Eyefinity or a ton of SSAA. I'd at least recommend going up to a 6870 or 460 1GB (NOT the SE model). I own a XFX card (a 5850) and haven't had any issues with it. Also had an HIS previously with no problems.

Lastly, I personally think the Antec 300 is a rip off. I own one and am using it for my PC right now. I paid $40 for mine and it's okay, but very bare bones and it lacks the features that more modern cases have. No cutouts for cable management. You're limited on GPU choices because of the HDD cage (6950 probably wouldn't fit). While it's not that big of a deal, everything uses standard screws, nothing tool-less at all except the front bezel. I think newer models also include a SSD mount, but mine didn't. For $60, it's just not worth it, it was barely worth it for $40. The only thing it really has going for it is that it has decent airflow (if you buy more fans for it) and it has good build quality.

clav

BloodySinner said:
http://i.imgur.com/Qd6VA.jpg

I don't let the case sit on the carpet directly. No pets either. So much for the dust filter.
Every time you walk on carpet, dust kicks upwards. The fact that is there allows dust to still exist.

In other words, carpet is one of the dirtiest household things in the world as it picks up everything, and it can never be cleaned completely.

TheFatOne

Got my replacement stick of ram today, and it worked. Amazon customer service was pretty awesome. For some reason I couldn't go through the normal rma process so I sent them an email, and by the end of the say they had started the shipping process. Finally my system is complete and I can overclock my cpu.

Smokey

vexvegaz said:
hey smokey heres a good reading guide on OC'ng with p8p67 boards that i think you might find useful.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1578110

good luck!

Oh nice.

Good lookin out vex

Couple of more questions:

1. I have my Steam folder currently running on my Intel 320. Actually everything on the computer as of now is on the 320. Just looked and I've got about 97GB free out of 148GB, and a 2TB HDD sitting there naked lol. So say I want to move my Steam folder to the HDD, is it simply a matter of copying the Steam folder to the HDD or would I need to do something different?

2. Is it bad that I am using Internet Explorer 9...and liking it?

Smokey said:
Oh nice.

Good lookin out vex

Couple of more questions:

1. I have my Steam folder currently running on my Intel 320. Actually everything on the computer as of now is on the 320. Just looked and I've got about 97GB free out of 148GB, and a 2TB HDD sitting there naked lol. So say I want to move my Steam folder to the HDD, is it simply a matter of copying the Steam folder to the HDD or would I need to do something different?

2. Is it bad that I am using Internet Explorer 9...and liking it?

http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

Smokey said:
Sweet.

Anybody ever had any issues using this program?
you can also create a steam directory folder on the new drive, and just copy the steam apps folder and steam.exe into that new directory, and everything else can be deleted from the old location. Then simply run the steam exe and it will work its magic and rebuild for you on the new drive

Smokey

ithorien said:
Chrome. More secure, faster.

I've been using Chrome on my previous computer. Just thought I'd give IE9 a try and have ended up sticking with it lol. Probably should get back on that Chrome train though.

sk3tch

Not sure if this was posted (I checked back a few pages) but the Gigabyte Super OverClock (SOC) GTX 580 dropped today on NewEgg...$535 + S/H:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125379

I was going to buy a MSI Lightning GTX 580, but it won't fit in my case - so the Gigabyte is the next best thing (and only $10 more). Gigabyte says you need a 750W or higher GPU so I decided to not risk it and I'm going to sell my XFX 650W and I bought the Seasonic X 850W:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151102

Should tide me over until November when the new 680 or whatever drops... ;)

chixdiggit

Any way to have audio go through a USB headset and external speakers at the same time? Win 7 64 bit. I can get both to work separately by setting them as the default device but want both to work at the same time if possible.

CaLe

Thanks everyone, especially Hazaro. I finally purchased my new PC...

Someone hold my hand, my bank account is crying right now :) :

10eqys5.jpg

Total: about 1450$ with shipping and taxes.

I hope it will last me at least 3 years ! (my current rig did).

Bring on The Witcher 2 !!

Setup COMPLETE!

I just wish this case had more of the dust catching mesh. Is there some place I can buy it separate? That green post-it note is not the most attractive thing.

Kalnos

Banned
Debating whether or not to early adopt a Gigabyte Z68 board. I have had nothing but bad luck with Asus, so I'll stick with Gigabyte.

Pookaki said:
Setup COMPLETE!

I just wish this case had more of the dust catching mesh. Is there some place I can buy it separate? That green post-it note is not the most attractive thing.

looks great man, see you are also rocking the x-530's such great speakers for the price, have mine setup in 2.1 for now, but man that sub can bump :D

Ploid 3.0

Extollere said:
Does anyone have the GTX 460 SE? It's the gimped version of the regular 460 card (less cores or something). It's on sale right now on Amazon for $109 with rebates, which is about a hundred dollars less than the standard 460. Worth it? Or crap card?

How to tell if I have SE? When I go to update drivers on nvidia my card show up under SE, but it's not named SE.

ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU TOP/2DI/768MD5 GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 768MB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 is what I got.

I'm in the clear? Or did Asus make a SE version of this card look as well?

Asus-ENGTX460.jpg

irishcow

I'm looking to get a new monitor to replace my old 22" viewsonic. I want 1080p. I will use it exclusively for gaming. I already have a 55" HDTV that I have my PC connected to, but when my fiance is using the tv I need something bigger to game on.

I have been looking at these two:

LG 32LE5300 32-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LED LCD VA Panel HDTV:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0039RWAVS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

VIZIO XVT323SV 32-Inch Full HD 1080p LED LCD HDTV:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003GDFJUO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Does anyone have any thoughts? I also was looking at some 27" monitors. Thanks.

Ploid 3.0 said:
How to tell if I have SE? When I go to update drivers on nvidia my card show up under SE, but it's not named SE.

ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU TOP/2DI/768MD5 GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 768MB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 is what I got.

I'm in the clear? Or did Asus make a SE version of this card look as well?

http://www.hitechreview.com/uploads/2010/07/Asus-ENGTX460.jpg
Unless I missed something, Asus never made a DirectCU version of the SE. Either way, you have a 768MB, so no worries of it being an SE.

Pookaki said:
Setup COMPLETE!

You can get one that's plastic, metal, fiber, and some other materials.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...rder=BESTMATCH&Description=fan+filter&x=0&y=0

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=fan+filter&x=0&y=0

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?Ntt=fan+filter&N=0&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

Alternatively, you can just make your own.

squicken

Thinking of upgrading to 8 GB of RAM (currently have 2x2GB dual channel). My system hangs and freezes quite a bit when I have a bunch of stuff running. Problem is no one sells my RAM any more.

Currently DDR3 PC3-10666. CAS 9. Voltage for RAM says 1.7, but CPU-Z says it's 1.5. What is important to look for in matching my existing 2x2GB pair?

Pittst0p

Neo Member
Made some adjustments help me fine tune parts

2wfvnt1.png

Budget: $1,500, US
Main Use: Gaming
Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Crysis, WoW/Max, Battlefield: BC2, Rage, Battlefield 3
Are reusing any parts?: First custom pc so no
When will you build?: Within 2 - 3 weeks
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe (This means yes)
Other: Would like to keep unit quiet as possible.

If I decide to overclock will i run into trouble with current build, would the mid tower be good enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom