• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phionoxx

Looking to build a new PC soon. I currently have a laptop with a native res of 1920 x 1080 which has been great, but the video card is older (Radeon Mobility HD 4670) and I think it is time to get a new gaming desktop.

I would like to be able to play games at 60+ FPS / 1080p with High settings in general. Select games I want to play are: The Witcher 2, Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim, Deus Ex HR, Crysis.

Is there anything you would change? I also really want to get on the SDD bandwagon and experience it, haven't ever had one before. Been reading through reviews for them and it looks like once again as was that case last year, the OCZ Vertex 3 is a good pick.

I have to get a complete build, not able to reuse any old components. My last build was right when the E6600 came out, but I ended up giving that computer to a relative once I was done with college. So looking to spend quite a bit because I have to include Win 7, Case, Monitor, KB/M, Power Supply, etc.

Graphics Card : MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II OC Radeon HD 6950 2GB
Case : COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II Advanced
Mobo : MSI P67A-GD53 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
PSU : Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W Continuous Power
CPU : Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155
SSD (OS + APPS) : OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
HDD (Media) : SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
Monitor : ASUS VH236H Black 23" Full HD Widescreen LCD Monitor w/ Speakers
Mouse : Logitech MX 518 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Optical Gaming Mouse
Keyboard : Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 2000
Optical Drive : ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
Sound Card : ASUS XONAR_DG 5.1 Channels PCI Interface Xonar DG Sound Card
OS : Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit 1-Pack - OEM
Cooling : COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus

Total comes out to about 1,700 USD.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Forkball said:
Ok, here's my new list. I took a lot of stuff from the OP and recommendations here and from other places. Any tips? Know any other good wireless options/cards? Should I splurge for the 2GB 6950 or is the card I have on the list enough? I heard that XFX cards fry easily, any experience with this? Thanks a lot.
Go for that combo deal chaos posted. Other than that, you are all good.
Pittst0p said:
Made some adjustments help me fine tune parts

Budget: $1,500, US
Main Use: Gaming
Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Crysis, WoW/Max, Battlefield: BC2, Rage, Battlefield 3
Are reusing any parts?: First custom pc so no
When will you build?: Within 2 - 3 weeks
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe (This means yes)
Other: Would like to keep unit quiet as possible.

If I decide to overclock will i run into trouble with current build, would the mid tower be good enough?
I'd just sub in this mobo: (There's not much info on that ASRock)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130572
and change PSU to Corsair 750W V2

Looks good.
Phionoxx said:
Looking to build a new PC soon. I currently have a laptop with a native res of 1920 x 1080 which has been great, but the video card is older (Radeon Mobility HD 4670) and I think it is time to get a new gaming desktop.

I would like to be able to play games at 60+ FPS / 1080p with High settings in general. Select games I want to play are: The Witcher 2, Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim, Deus Ex HR, Crysis.

Is there anything you would change? I also really want to get on the SDD bandwagon and experience it, haven't ever had one before. Been reading through reviews for them and it looks like once again as was that case last year, the OCZ Vertex 3 is a good pick.

I have to get a complete build, not able to reuse any old components. My last build was right when the E6600 came out, but I ended up giving that computer to a relative once I was done with college. So looking to spend quite a bit because I have to include Win 7, Case, Monitor, KB/M, Power Supply, etc.

Graphics Card : MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II OC Radeon HD 6950 2GB
Case : COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II Advanced
Mobo : MSI P67A-GD53 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
PSU : Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W Continuous Power
CPU : Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155
SSD (OS + APPS) : OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
HDD (Media) : SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
Monitor : ASUS VH236H Black 23" Full HD Widescreen LCD Monitor w/ Speakers
Mouse : Logitech MX 518 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Optical Gaming Mouse
Keyboard : Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 2000
Optical Drive : ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
Sound Card : ASUS XONAR_DG 5.1 Channels PCI Interface Xonar DG Sound Card
OS : Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit 1-Pack - OEM
Cooling : COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
I'd change PSU to the 750W V2 Corsair, but other than that it looks good.
If you are not an SSD enthusiast you might want to get an Intel 320/510 for their proven controller. The Vertex 3 is STUPID fast though.
Total comes out to about 1,700 USD.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

CaLe

I noticed that alot of people here do not purchase Windows 7 with their PC.

Are you just re-using your old copy..? If not, are you purchasing it elsewhere..?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
A lot of people, myself included, are privy of student licenses and the like.

killamockingbrd

Neo Member
Anyone have recommendations on a mid-tower case that doesn't have any LED lights on it sub $100? I can't stand my Antec 300 anymore. Someones I leave my PC on at night to download stuff from Steam and the lights drive me nuts.

killamockingbrd said:
Anyone have recommendations on a mid-tower case that doesn't have any LED lights on it sub $100? I can't stand my Antec 300 anymore. Someones I leave my PC on at night to download stuff from Steam and the lights drive me nuts.
the haf 912 cooler master case only has 2 red leds for hdd and power, but they are'nt really bright at all. Plus the case looks sick
Cooler-Master-HAF-912-and-HAF-912-Plus-Mid-Tower-Chassis.jpg

cooler_master_haf_912_015.jpg

EDIT
Heres mine running, with the power led on for example
IMAG0177.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
killamockingbrd said:
There are some in the OP.
Also you can cut the LED leads.

killamockingbrd said:

CM690II-Adv_03.jpg
556660.jpg
556660-1.jpg

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced Video Review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGvBjEmXJnI

79560514.jpg

Fractal Design Define R3
http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&category=2&prod=48

In addition:
Hazaro said:
There are some in the OP.
Also you can cut the LED leads.

Syphon Filter said:
Hey i was looking to get this case. What material is the inside made of?
Seems like a pretty much standard steel that a lot of cases use, plus the front faceplate is plastic, but nontheless, the case is surprisingly nice for the price :D

Mr Nightman said:
Seems like a pretty much standard steel that a lot of cases use, plus the front faceplate is plastic, but nontheless, the case is surprisingly nice for the price :D
How does the HDD mounting work and the 1 tool free optical mount?

Syphon Filter said:
How does the HDD mounting work and the 1 tool free optical mount?
Yes, for the optical its just one tool less mount, and I just used a couple screws to secure the other side. As for the hard drives, they use an awesome rail system that is indeed tool less and works damn well.
HDD%20rails.jpg

Basically these go into the screw holes on the hard drive, and is as simple as sliding it into the rail rack, really great design

Ploid 3.0

CaLe said:
I noticed that alot of people here do not purchase Windows 7 with their PC.

Are you just re-using your old copy..? If not, are you purchasing it elsewhere..?

Some already have win or whatever. I got mine from Microsoft student discount. $30 vs $99.

Mr Nightman said:
Yes, for the optical its just one tool less mount, and I just used a couple screws to secure the other side. As for the hard drives, they use an awesome rail system that is indeed tool less and works damn well.
HDD%20rails.jpg

Basically these go into the screw holes on the hard drive, and is as simple as sliding it into the rail rack, really great design

Ok nice,thanks.

Speedfan is not reading my CPU temp correctly. It sits a -60c which is absolutely incorrect.

In bios the mobo reports the correct temp. Any ideas on how to fix it?

CaLe

Corky said:
A lot of people, myself included, are privy of student licenses and the like.

Ah got it.

I used to have that privilege too.. I miss it :)

Would you guys recommend that I keep using my current ATI 6870 with my new build ? I take it that it will be enough until at least this winter or even next year.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Pookaki said:
Speedfan is not reading my CPU temp correctly. It sits a -60c which is absolutely incorrect.

In bios the mobo reports the correct temp. Any ideas on how to fix it?
Use HWMonitor
*Oh Speedfan is still in the OP. I should remove it.

Omiee

I have a problem with my graphics card. All of a suden windows aero does not work anymore.
when i run window index rating, my graphics rating dropped from 7.8 or what ever it was to 6.0
what could be a reason?
they are both working and both in device manager etc

Omiee

I really need help, i did a diver sweeper because i went from catalyst 11.4 to 11.5 and did the 11.5a hotfix.
but now my index score for aero and graphics is 6.0
it did not happen directly after the installing of the catalyst, it happened suddenly an hour or 2 later.

EDIT: oke woow wtf is happening, i did another index score rating and my disk rating went from 7.4 to 5.9
disk health shows me i have no error's or what ever in my ssd.
what is is happening?

EDIT2: when i go to 3dmark it tells me i dont have a directx 11 card? wtff!!!!!
EDIT3: i did a furmark multi gpu test and i had the same fps and temps as i have normally.

again what could be wrong?

Pittst0p

Neo Member
Thank you so very much Hazaro.

Now i just have to wait till I get paid next week to make a great financial mistake. So excited!

I was watching the how to build video in the OP and they mentioned APC Back-UPS. Does anyone use these or is everyone fine with just using standard surge protectors?

nitric0

I'm upgrading from a 9800GT

My choices are: HD 5850, HD 6850 and GTX 460(1GB) Which to get?

Overall setup:
AMD X4 635 3.0ghz
4GB Ram
500GB HDD
9800GT 512MB

sk3tch

Argh I canceled my order. I cannot decide which GTX 580 to buy.

My options:
1) ASUS ENGTX580 DirectCUII
2) Gigabyte Super Overclock GTX 580
3) Anything else as long as it is smaller than 30 CM or 11.75 inches in length (i.e. no MSI Lighting GTX 580 - doh!)

I can power this with my XFX 650W (it's a Seasonic). I just want to spend less than $600. I love overclocking so it seems the ASUS is a solid choice - but the speed binning that Gigabyte does is so tempting...then there's the EVGA reference design card for $450 AR...argh.

EDIT: I game at 1080p so a 3GB card is not necessary.

Omiee

This is getting weirder every minute, so after i did a clean install of catalyst 11.5
i tried deinstalling it from control panel this time, when i deinstalled it before rebooting aero was working again.
when i rebooted it had the same problem.
hard disk score is 5.9 and graphics and aero is 6.0
what could be the problem?

Mr Nightman said:
looks great man, see you are also rocking the x-530's such great speakers for the price, have mine setup in 2.1 for now, but man that sub can bump :D
I picked those up like 3 years ago and they are still going strong. They are by no means audiophile quality, but they are fine for me :)

This CM 690 II is wonderful. I love that the LED fan in the front is on its own switch. Nothing worse that having your PC look like a landing alien craft at night.

My cable management (outside of the case) is the worst. You should see behind the tower, and the sub.

Any awesome way to manage cables that I am overlooking?

http://imgur.com/Kp77m

Edit: Didn't mean to post the thumbnail again sorry, friends.

Pookaki said:
I picked those up like 3 years ago and they are still going strong. They are by no means audiophile quality, but they are fine for me :)

This CM 690 II is wonderful. I love that the LED fan in the front is on its own switch. Nothing worse that having your PC look like a landing alien craft at night.

My cable management (outside of the case) is the worst. You should see behind the tower, and the sub.

I have awful cable management behind the tower, lol, always tell myself that I will do it right eventually, but I never get to it haha

Dr.Acula

Banned
squicken said:
Thinking of upgrading to 8 GB of RAM (currently have 2x2GB dual channel). My system hangs and freezes quite a bit when I have a bunch of stuff running. Problem is no one sells my RAM any more.

Currently DDR3 PC3-10666. CAS 9. Voltage for RAM says 1.7, but CPU-Z says it's 1.5. What is important to look for in matching my existing 2x2GB pair?

Really? I just bought that kind of RAM last week. There's plenty of it around, real cheap too!

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...06131 600006069&IsNodeId=1&name=8GB (2 x 4GB)

edit: ooooh, I get ya. You're wanting to get 2x2 more, not replacing your existing ram.

Hey, run memtest86 ( http://www.memtest86.com/ ) and check it to make sure your existing ram is good.

BTW, what's the make/model of your old ram?

squicken

Dr.Acula said:
Really? I just bought that kind of RAM last week. There's plenty of it around, real cheap too!

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...06131 600006069&IsNodeId=1&name=8GB (2 x 4GB)

edit: ooooh, I get ya. You're wanting to get 2x2 more, not replacing your existing ram.

Hey, run memtest86 ( http://www.memtest86.com/ ) and check it to make sure your existing ram is good.

BTW, what's the make/model of your old ram?

Yeah, I want to just get more RAM, but the exact make and model of my existing RAM is seemingly scarce.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-ddr3-pc3-10666-gold-edition.html

OCZ3G13334GK

I just want to know which specs of my existing RAM I need to match and which to ignore. CAS? Timings? Voltage listing?

I understand that pretty much whatever I throw in there will work, but I don't want to slow down the existing RAM or overpay and have my existing RAM slow down the new RAM.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
For the Program Folders (x86) folder, if you wanted to create another folder that was x86 (32 bit) compliant, is there anything special you need to do?

I want to create a Program Folder and Program Folder (x86) on my larger hard drive to hold all of my games and other applications that won't be on my SSD.

Well I finally bit the bullet and went ahead and ordered my first PC since 2005. I ended up getting the following.

Intel i5 2500k
Asus P8P67 Pro B3
Hyper 212 Plus
Asus Geforce GTX 570 Direct CUII
Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB 2x4GB DDR3-1600
Corsair TX750 V2 750w
Coolermaster CM690 II Advanced
WD 1TB Sata3 6GB/s 7200rpm
LG 22x Sata DVD writer
ASUS PCE-N13 wireless adapter
Windows Home Premium OEM 64bit

I also opted to have NCIX put it together for me. As much as I remember enjoying the building process, I've never gone with online ordering and would rather let them put it all together and test the components for $50 rather than end up with a bum part and have to deal with online returns. I also just don't have as much free time anymore, and I know it doesn't take all that long, but oh well. I'll end up getting hands on with it in the long run with upgrades down the line.

All that came in at just about $1300 on the dot before tax and shipping and such. Luckily they have a nice shipping promo so it was only $5 for shipping. All told, it came in around $1475 which fit right under my budget. I wasn't planning on buying it today, but after finding the price matches I saved over $100 and went for it.

I'm definitely pretty pumped!

luiztfc

Pookaki said:

http://imgur.com/Kp77m

Edit: Didn't mean to post the thumbnail again sorry, friends.

Where's this switch? I hate the front leds with all my force!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So, I bit the bullet. Here is what I bought.

Coolermaster 912 case
Asus P8P67 Pro mobo
i5 2400
2 x 4GB Kingston Hyper 1600 RAM
and a 2TB USB drive to back up all my stuff.

Wish me luck...

Omiee said:
This is getting weirder every minute, so after i did a clean install of catalyst 11.5
i tried deinstalling it from control panel this time, when i deinstalled it before rebooting aero was working again.
when i rebooted it had the same problem.
hard disk score is 5.9 and graphics and aero is 6.0
what could be the problem?
Reformat, reinstall.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Need to start workin' on a new PC. Help me out gaf! Are the pre-built newegg links in the OP updated with the most current stuff? I've been completely out of the loop for the past few months with the most recent cards / processors and stuff.

Your Current Specs: Intel Core2 2.4ghz dual core / 2gigs ddr2 / Not sure about motherboard but it's old as hell. / Nvidia 9600gt

Budget: ~$1500, US.

Main Use: 3D work and gaming.

Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050

List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Most of the newest games, Witcher 2, stuff like that.

Are reusing any parts?: Not reusing anything. Current video card is screwed to high hell. Seriously, this is what my screen looks like right now.

When will you build?: I'd like to buy the parts / have it built around mid-June, but I need to start pricing it all out now.

Will you be overclocking?: Probably not.

nitric0 said:
I'm upgrading from a 9800GT

My choices are: HD 5850, HD 6850 and GTX 460(1GB) Which to get?

Overall setup:
AMD X4 635 3.0ghz
4GB Ram
500GB HDD
9800GT 512MB

I have a crossfire'd 5850s and i am happy as hell with them.. I was also happy with the performance of a single card. It would be the most powerful of the bunch, but the 6850 may recieve more love due to it's optimizations and promise of future drivers for at least a year.

sk3tch

Flying Toaster said:
Anyone pick up a Z68 motherboard yet? Toms just did a review of ssd caching and I am curious if anyone has tried it yet on their system.

SSD caching is a software feature that will be available on all 6-series chipsets (not just Z68)...fyi.

sk3tch said:
EDIT: I game at 1080p so a 3GB card is not necessary.

I regret to inform you that you are wrong here. I game at 1080p too and there are times I have to lower my AA level or I slam straight into the 1280MB wall, that's how much memory my SLI GTX 470s have per card.

knitoe

WanderingWind said:
So, I bit the bullet. Here is what I bought.

Coolermaster 912 case
Asus P8P67 Pro mobo
i5 2400
2 x 4GB Kingston Hyper 1600 RAM
and a 2TB USB drive to back up all my stuff.

Wish me luck...
2400 is multiply lock so doesn't make much sense going with a overclockable P67 MB. Either go 2400 & H67 MB or 2500K/2600K & P67.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
knitoe said:
2400 is multiply lock so doesn't make much sense going with a overclockable P67 MB. Either go 2400 & H67 MB or 2500K/2600K & P67.

I don't know what multiply lock means, but I really wanted a 2500, but Micro Center (awesome freakin' store, btw) was out of them. I'll upgrade that in a couple of months. In any event, I already have the parts at home. Just need to put them together.

RS4-

Fuck, I don't remember how loud my 8800 GT is compared the 6950. The latter is...quite noticeable lol.

As much as I want to pick up a FT02, I might just settle for the CM 690.

I got the clocks unlocked on my card, but not the shaders. I don't think I'll bother until I upgrade everything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom