• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr2xxx

Banned
Twig said:
Well it's a new game (just released yesterday), but I'll check anyway.

I don't know what "pegged" means, though. That it's being used way more than it should?

You ever play peggle? You hit a ball and crazy shit happens,actually nothing to do with that.

Izayoi

Banned
Twig said:
Well it's a new game (just released yesterday), but I'll check anyway.

I don't know what "pegged" means, though. That it's being used way more than it should?
Pegged, as in, the point or limit of a scale. If your GPU is pegged it means that it's running at 100% output. In the case of a not very graphically demanding game, it's likely that if your GPU is maxed out there's a problem somewhere.

Also, since it was released yesterday, it's highly probable that the game is just unstable and you'll need to wait for a patch.

RoboShmup

Banned
Windows 7 student discount is confusing me.. does anyone know if the $30 student version works for installation on completely new builds? It says 'Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade' during check out and I see no other options anywhere. I don't have any previous versions of windows so I wouldn't have a way to 'upgrade'.

But my parts have arrived and I will be putting it together tomorrow :)

RoboShmup said:
Windows 7 student discount is confusing me.. does anyone know if the $30 student version works for installation on completely new builds? It says 'Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade' during check out and I see no other options anywhere. I don't have any previous versions of windows so I wouldn't have a way to 'upgrade'.

But my parts have arrived and I will be putting it together tomorrow :)

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media

Twig

Banned
Izayoi said:
Pegged, as in, the point or limit of a scale. If your GPU is pegged it means that it's running at 100% output. In the case of a not very graphically demanding game, it's likely that if your GPU is maxed out there's a problem somewhere.

Also, since it was released yesterday, it's highly probable that the game is just unstable and you'll need to wait for a patch.
Well, I've been playing the "beta" for like four days, and had no problem (other than it crashing when I wanted to export replays to YouTube) prior to installing my new video card. That's the only reason I'm worried.

Anyway, all right. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks.

I need to stop reading this thread, since I committed to building myself a new pc at the end of the year. Want to soo bad right now though. The only way to console myself is to know that waiting I will be able to build probably a better machine for the same price in 7-8 months.

Smokey

knitoe said:
You are missing the most important info. What voltages you are using? Run HWmonitor and tell us.

Home from work, here is the voltage information for my 2600k that seems to be melting:

Regular

rcvih1.jpg

Overclock:

o92y5e.jpg

Yellow number is what the voltage gets raised to for the overclock

Reminder of the temps I was getting. I have a H70 Cooler:
25saau0.jpg

A little weird..the Asus has the voltage at 1.27 while HWmonitor says 1.06?

Ploid 3.0

Just ordered a hyper 212+ and am looking up info on applying paste for it. Is it important to fill in those gaps, clean, and apply the second time for the flat surface?

edit: Found out that it is kinda important so that the paste spread isn't effected by the grooves and you get a better coverage when it's pressed to the cpu. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252942-29-some-notes-applying-thermal-paste-xigmatek

elrechazao said:
I need to stop reading this thread, since I committed to building myself a new pc at the end of the year. Want to soo bad right now though. The only way to console myself is to know that waiting I will be able to build probably a better machine for the same price in 7-8 months.

Wait, it'll be so worth it. I regret that I didn't wait a bit more myself. I could have gone even longer without a gaming pc. The big games seem to be coming at the end of the year.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Smokey said:
Thats becasue of the power saving features of the CPU will lower the voltage and clock speed when you aren't using it much. Run Prime95 or something and look at the same time. That'll give you your load voltage which is what you want to be looking at.

knitoe

Smokey said:
Home from work, here is the voltage information for my 2600k that seems to be melting:

Regular

rcvih1.jpg

Your max 1.38V is very high for only 4.6GHz. Resize the window so we can see the CPU temps and run Prime95 with small FFT. Then, take a screenshot and show us.

nilbog21

Banned
Well guys, I bit on the 2500k+gigabyte P67A combo for 240$ at microcenter...

Can u guys recommend me good deals on Ram, GPU, or cases atm? Thx :)

TheExodu5

Banned
knitoe said:
Your max 1.38V is very high for only 4.6GHz. Resize the window so we can see the CPU temps and run Prime95 with small FFT. Then, take a screenshot and show us.

It's a bit high, but not high enough to account for 90C. It's not the issue.

Coldsnap

There has to be something wrong with my Caviar Black. It should not be this loud! RMMMM RMMMMM PAUSE RMMMMMMM PAUSE RMMMM. If I put my foot up against my case where the noise is coming from it stops the noise, makes me think its vibration then... I know I've been bitching about it here for a month or so, sorry...I dunno I wish I knew more about these things and wasn't working a unpaid internship so I could afford a SSD.

just sucks I paid $1,100 for a silent build but this thing is the only loud part... My Caviar Blue is freakin silent wtfffff

Smokey

knitoe said:

I have taken the cover off and am taking off the thermal that came with the H70 and putting on the Artic MX-4

I don't know what's wrong :(

Smokey said:
I have taken the cover off and am taking off the thermal that came with the H70 and putting on the Artic MX-4

I don't know what's wrong :(

You're vcore is incredibly high for 4.6ghz, i can get that at 1.25v

oh shit, 90 C, didnt see that...

Smokey

Saren is Bad said:
You're vcore is incredibly high for 4.6ghz, i can get that at 1.25v

oh shit, 90 C, didnt see that...

Well the ASUS bullshit did it when I first got the system and OC'd by software just to see where it would get. After I put the new goo on and everything I'll reset it to default settings.

Yes my temps were getting into the 90s and shit. That's crazy. I wouldn't be surprised if my chip doesn't last through the rest of the year, shit has been frying.

elrechazao said:
In 7-8 months it will probably be only a couple more months for Ivy Bridge. :p

Dr.Acula

Banned
Coldsnap said:
There has to be something wrong with my Caviar Black. It should not be this loud! RMMMM RMMMMM PAUSE RMMMMMMM PAUSE RMMMM. If I put my foot up against my case where the noise is coming from it stops the noise, makes me think its vibration then... I know I've been bitching about it here for a month or so, sorry...I dunno I wish I knew more about these things and wasn't working a unpaid internship so I could afford a SSD.

just sucks I paid $1,100 for a silent build but this thing is the only loud part... My Caviar Blue is freakin silent wtfffff

You could get something like this and try it.

Or this.

Haven't installed any of these myself, so YMMV.

RS4-

Fuck, I wish I lived closer to Microcenter, closest one to me is in Michigan; if there was one in Buffalo, I'd just ask a buddy that's 5 mins from the border to pick up parts for me.

a 2500k + p8p67 pro for $350+ tax is so good. Here it's 384 + tax which is $75 or more difference after it's all said and done. Fuck Canada!

dwin45

So is the Dell Studio XPS 7100 the consensus pick for best pre-made desktop computer at the price ($999 or less)? I'm considering getting that one but I'm not sure about the graphics card. It's a ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB. Can that run most current games at medium-high settings or should I upgrade?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
elrechazao said:
I hate you :D

Might have to add a month or three then.
If Tri-Gate is anywhere near to what it could be it should be well worth it.
dwin45 said:
So is the Dell Studio XPS 7100 the consensus pick for best pre-made desktop computer at the price ($999 or less)? I'm considering getting that one but I'm not sure about the graphics card. It's a ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB. Can that run most current games at medium-high settings or should I upgrade?
If I had to upgrade a DELL, I'd get an XPS 8300 (with an i5 2400) for $740 sans monitor.
Pickup a nice 22-23" LCD for $140, get a Corsair CX430w for $40, then GPU or choice depending on your budget (GTX 460 768MB) for $140.
___
Total + Monitor = ~$1,050

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
knitoe said:
Get the Z68 with Quick Sync if you need to do video encoding.
Maybe if his job depends on it or he is ripping a 500 DVD collection.
Then you have to deal with some limiting software(?)

I read the launch anandtech article about it, and while it is stupid fast, it doesn't seem like someone a lot of people would need or use.

At least it is on the enthusiast boards now.

Smokey

Alright here are some snapshots after I took off old thermal paste and put on Artic Mx-4:

Before new application of thermal paste and ASUS OC:

25saau0.jpg

After:

2ce46lt.jpg

htgz1x.jpg

33w36kz.jpg

So what say you...should I still be in a panic and sell my pc and go back to consoles?

lol

Any recommendations for a new video card that has similar power requirements (not ready to update my power supply) to my existing 4850?
I've got a little breathing room, but not a lot.

elrechazao said:

except for the processor. the 2500k is already pretty cheap at microcenter for $180 i dont know how much cheaper it would get than that at end of the year.

ipukespiders said:
Any recommendations for a new video card that has similar power requirements (not ready to update my power supply) to my existing 4850?
I've got a little breathing room, but not a lot.
You should probably give your pc specs. But I believe the 6850/6870 would work.

dwin45

dwin45 said:
Can anyone give me an opinion on this? Sorry, I don't mean to be a pest it's just that I don't have much experience with stuff like this so I don't want to buy something and regret it later.

ithorien

Coldsnap said:
What's the process with putting your harddrive in a silent case? I don't have to take a part my harddrive to get it to fit into something like the scythe quiet drive? How do these drives fit into my R3 also? Do they screw in just like regulard harddrives? Thanks

What you linked is a 3.5" enclosure that houses a 2.5" drive (laptop size). Those two combined would be a size of a regular hard drive. I don't remember if it was in this thread, but some people have gotten good results with bungee cords. That would only dampen vibration sounds though.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
dwin45 said:
Can anyone give me an opinion on this? Sorry, I don't mean to be a pest it's just that I don't have much experience with stuff like this so I don't want to buy something and regret it later.
Look up

Coldsnap

ithorien said:
What you linked is a 3.5" enclosure that houses a 2.5" drive (laptop size). Those two combined would be a size of a regular hard drive. I don't remember if it was in this thread, but some people have gotten good results with bungee cords. That would only dampen vibration sounds though.

Vibration is my only problem. Doing bungee cords in my R3 sounds like a crazy job

Smokey said:
Hmm ok

It immediately went from highs of 90 to low 70s..so that's a good thing.
May I recommend clearing your motherboard by the jumper? That ASUS OC is a piece of shit. Sorry of this has been said alredy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom