• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
momolicious said:
except for the processor. the 2500k is already pretty cheap at microcenter for $180 i dont know how much cheaper it would get than that at end of the year.
I'd imagine other components will continue to drop, except for possibly ram which seems crazy cheap right now. But hard drive prices can only go down, or get bigger for the same size. GPU's should be pushed down somewhat as well.

knitoe

Smokey said:
Hmm ok

It immediately went from highs of 90 to low 70s..so that's a good thing.
Your voltage drop from 1.38 to 1.304 which easily means 10C decrease. Startup CPUZ & HWmonitor, and then, run Prime95. After 10 min, take a screenshot with them showing and post it.

chessnut

dwin45 said:
Can anyone give me an opinion on this? Sorry, I don't mean to be a pest it's just that I don't have much experience with stuff like this so I don't want to buy something and regret it later.

$1000 for that computer is a lot, i really really recommend you build your own. I built my 2500k/ati 6950 for $800....$950 if you count the 23" monitor.

bbbbbbbbut, if you're gonna buy that comp...a 5670 can probably play most games on medium at a stable 30 fps, but it'll be outdated in a year or so.

mr2xxx

Banned
Reminds me that microcenter had a sale today, 2500k+ MB for 250. So tempted to sell my 950 but the improvement will not worth it. I need help with this addiction to technology.

knitoe

Arsenic said:
So i just finished building a rig but it won't turn on. Theres also no light indicators. Help?
I would check if the power cables are plugged into the MB. Better yet, take a pic of your MB and post it so we can see.

Smokey

knitoe said:
Your voltage drop from 1.38 to 1.304 which easily means 10C decrease. Startup CPUZ & HWmonitor, and then, run Prime95. After 10 min, take a screenshot with them showing and post it.

Just finished it...after 10 mins

70, 77, 77, 75 @ 4.5ghz and 1.3V

Thoughts?

TheExodu5

Banned
Still hotter than it should be, but manageable.

Can you confirm the fan is spinning properly? In that Speedfan shot you had, it said it was going at 32rpm...though that could have just been a false reading.

Arsenic

knitoe said:
I would check if the power cables are plugged into the MB. Better yet, take a pic of your MB and post it so we can see.
securedownload.jpg

Wallach

Arsenic said:
So i just finished building a rig but it won't turn on. Theres also no light indicators. Help?

The pic kinda makes it look like you aren't using standoffs between the motherboard and the metal case. You are right?

Arsenic

Yes i flipped the switch. 8pin and 24pin are in, and the outlet is fine. The PSU didn't come with a power cord so I'm using my PS3's power cord. I can't think of anything else.

Smokey

TheExodu5 said:
Still hotter than it should be, but manageable.

Can you confirm the fan is spinning properly? In that Speedfan shot you had, it said it was going at 32rpm...though that could have just been a false reading.

Umm..not sure it's running properly? Running Prime now and in HWmonitor it says CPUFANIN 24 RPM...

sigh

Ploid 3.0

Dang, that's weird. Hope I don't have a lot of problems installing my heatsink. It's one of the main things I hate about building PCs. Thermal paste.

Arsenic

Wallach said:
Ah, that makes sense.

Check the case switch lead then. Maybe you have the case power switch flipped around on accident.
It's on 1 and doesn't turn on. I even tried turning it on with the switch on zero. Could it be a PSU issue? Should I RMA it?

Wallach

Arsenic said:
It's on 1 and doesn't turn on. I even tried turning it on with the switch on zero. Could it be a PSU issue? Should I RMA it?

It's possible, but not certain really. Have you tried jump starting the board instead of using the case power switch?

Smokey

Ploid 3.0 said:
Dang, that's weird. Hope I don't have a lot of problems installing my heatsink. It's one of the main things I hate about building PCs. Thermal paste.

Maybe it's the fan..why is that shit only running at 24rpm even with prime going? Now it's getting to the point where I'm just starting to get irritated :/

Wallach

Arsenic said:
No I have no idea how to do that

You'd just short the two pins that the power button connects to on the motherboard. Touch those two pins with the head of a flat screwdriver or something for a second with everything else plugged in.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Take out 1 stick of RAM, take out the PCI-E card (I think this is what is causing it).
Double check PSU is on 1 and 115V and outlet has power.
Check if that fan header for the cpu fan actually says CPU_FAN

Clear the CMOS/BIOS. Hold power button. Plug in. See if that works.

Also short the mobo power on/off like someone said to make sure it isn't that connector.

Duelist

I finished speccing out my rig, how does it look?

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO
CPU: Intel i7-2600k
GPU: ASUS ENGTX580 DCII GTX580 (1536MB)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series (8GB)
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold Series 1200W
Case: Cooler Master HAF X
CPU Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Optical: LG Black 10x Blu-Ray Burner
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 (1TB)

(._.)

Banned
Your Current Specs: CPU / RAM (DDR2/DDR3) / Motherboard / GPU

Budget: $2000 + United States

Main Use: Maxing core games, 3d modeling, typical other stuff.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: The Withcer 2 all maxed out at 60fps (lol) along with all games at the same level for the next two years at least.

Are reusing any parts?: I don't think so, I may. Will get back to this later in the thread if I do.

When will you build?: I would like to have all the parts in a week or two.

Will you be overclocking?: Yes. I haven't really with my current PC but I would like to.

I have a pretty big budget and tbh I'm really bad at choosing a motherboard. I don't know much about computer part specs except the basics. Looking to spend around $2000 on a well rounded machine. Interested in going crazy with the GPU (is 2 a smart idea?). Also, I want a motherboard with a fairly flexible upgrade path.

-Intel CPU please.
-Not sure about GPU.
-Considering a sound card but IDK.

Anything else I should have in mind? Could somebody help me choose a motherboard?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Duelist said:

GPU: ASUS ENGTX580 DCII GTX580 (1536MB) [If you want two, I'd get dual Twin Frozr GTX 570's]
Looks good to me! I hope that 1200W is there for SLi.
Note that you would want to add a 2 slot 580 if you want SLi.
(._.) said:
Your Current Specs: CPU / RAM (DDR2/DDR3) / Motherboard / GPU

Budget: $2000 + United States

Main Use: Maxing core games, 3d modeling, typical other stuff.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: The Withcer 2 all maxed out at 60fps (lol) along with all games at the same level for the next two years at least.

Are reusing any parts?: I don't think so, I may. Will get back to this later in the thread if I do.

When will you build?: I would like to have all the parts in a week or two.

Will you be overclocking?: Yes. I haven't really with my current PC but I would like to.

I have a pretty big budget and tbh I'm really bad at choosing a motherboard. I don't know much about computer part specs except the basics. Looking to spend around $2000 on a well rounded machine. Interested in going crazy with the GPU (is 2 a smart idea?). Also, I want a motherboard with a fairly flexible upgrade path.

-Intel CPU please.
-Not sure about GPU.
-Considering a sound card but IDK.

Anything else I should have in mind? Could somebody help me choose a motherboard?

GPU: GTX580 (1536MB) (ASUS 3 slot, or MSI Twin Frozr)
Case:
Optical:
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F4 (2TB)
SSD: Intel 510 120GB
Sound: Xonar DG ($30)

Arsenic

Wallach said:
You'd just short the two pins that the power button connects to on the motherboard. Touch those two pins with the head of a flat screwdriver or something for a second with everything else plugged in.
Hazaro said:
Take out 1 stick of RAM, take out the PCI-E card (I think this is what is causing it).
Double check PSU is on 1 and 115V and outlet has power.
Check if that fan header for the cpu fan actually says CPU_FAN

Clear the CMOS/BIOS. Hold power button. Plug in. See if that works.

Also short the mobo power on/off like someone said to make sure it isn't that connector.
Thanks guys, ill try these steps tomorrow morning.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Duelist said:

GPU: ASUS ENGTX580 DCII GTX580 (1536MB)
Gangster like build there. If I could have put the money into a 580 I would have. As it stands I'm getting near or identical benchmarked performance with my flashed 6950. You can't lose with a 580 or 6950/6970. My next GPU may be an NVIDIA if the price is right.

Oreoleo

Wallach said:

Felt like such a boss the first time I did that :D

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Arsenic said:
Thanks guys, ill try these steps tomorrow morning.
And obviously check the board physically if there are loose screws / shorts.
If all of that still doesn't work, unplug and replug all your connections.
If THAT doesn't work, assemble it outside the case with the bare minimum.

Also before doing all of that, check your PSU. Might be DOA.
Short the pins like this:
http://www.corsair.com/blog/Testing-your-corsair-power-supply/

enLp4.png

Duelist

Hazaro said:
Looks good to me! I hope that 1200W is there for SLi.
Note that you would want to add a 2 slot 580 if you want SLi.

Thanks for pointing that out. I should be able to go with this two slot 580 instead right? I don't see any major differences between the two. And yes, the 1200W PSU is there for adding another graphics card down the road.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

(._.)

Banned
Hazaro said:
GPU: GTX580 (1536MB) (ASUS 3 slot, or MSI Twin Frozr)
Case:
Optical:
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F4 (2TB)
SSD: Intel 510 120GB
Sound: Xonar DG ($30)
Thanks a ton for this template. Looked at all the parts and they seem top of the line. Added pretty much all of the parts to my cart.

Optical: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136226 do you think this will be fine?

Also which one of these GPUs would you suggest?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130655
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127579

I currently have an EVGA and I saw that one and it was expensive so I took a look at it ._.

guess the case is the last thing to choose.

Wallach

(._.) said:
Thanks a ton for this template. Looked at all the parts and they seem top of the line. Added pretty much all of the parts to my cart.

Optical: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136226 do you think this will be fine?

Also which one of these GPUs would you suggest?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130655
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127579

I currently have an EVGA and I saw that one and it was expensive so I took a look at it ._.

guess the case is the last thing to choose.

I love eVGA as a vendor, personally. That card though is so expensive because it has twice the VRAM of a normal GTX 580. Maybe if you game at the max res (2560x1600) and plan to SLI later instead of upgrading single GPU again. Otherwise get the normal eVGA 580 (or the ASUS CUII).

Bear in mind a 580 will do awesome with TW2 but you aren't going to be able to run "ubserampling" with a single GPU setup. Worth noting since you mentioned you were building at this point specifically for that game.

hyduK

Banned
Ugh. My video card is fried...the smart part of me wants to buy a cheap alternative since I shouldn't spend money on a rig, but do need to use my computer for everyday stuff.

The unreasonable, hype machine, part of me wants to use this as an excuse to buy a decent rig :(.

2500K/GTX 460...likely good enough for BF3 on (close to) max when it drops?

TheExodu5

Banned
Wallach said:
I love eVGA as a vendor, personally. That card though is so expensive because it has twice the VRAM of a normal GTX 580. Maybe if you game at the max res (2560x1600) and plan to SLI later instead of upgrading single GPU again. Otherwise get the normal eVGA 580 (or the ASUS CUII).

Bear in mind a 580 will do awesome with TW2 but you aren't going to be able to run "ubserampling" with a single GPU setup. Worth noting since you mentioned you were building at this point specifically for that game.

TBH, I wouldn't even run Ubersampling with 2x GTX 580s. You'd be trading a solid 60fps for 30-50fps. As nice as ubersampling looks, it's not worth the trade off.

Oh, and the other thing to keep in mind: SLI isn't quite working properly with the game yet, anyways. Lights still shine through objects.

Wallach

TheExodu5 said:
TBH, I wouldn't even run Ubersampling with 2x GTX 580s. You'd be trading a solid 60fps for 30-50fps. As nice as ubersampling looks, it's not worth the trade off.

Oh, and the other thing to keep in mind: SLI isn't quite working properly with the game yet, anyways. Lights still shine through objects.

Yeah, I really don't think it's a setting that was meant for this generation. More of a "maybe next time you play this we can still try to take advantage of your newer hardware someday" setting. Don't plan on playing TW2 with that setting on is my advice. Not anytime soon.

Oreoleo

Wallach said:
It's scarier doing it to a PSU for the first time, that made me nervous.

Haha yeah, seeing that pic Hazaro posted, I can't help but think that would be a great way to electrocute yourself if you messed up.

(._.)

Banned
Wallach said:

Ok. SLI means building my PC so that there are two graphic cards installed, right? Would you recommend that for a substantially longer PC life without upgrades? Like would it be cheaper compared to upgrading my graphic card in three years? IS it possible with the template I'm already following? I haven't changed it at all except question the GPU. Sorry if any or my questions are silly.

Also, what exactly is ubersampling? Is it some sort of AA because I have never heard of it and Ive only seen it used pertaining to TW2.

Thanks for the help.

TheExodu5

Banned
(._.) said:
Ok. SLI means building my PC so that there are two graphic cards installed, right? Would you recommend that for a substantially longer PC life without upgrades? Like would it be cheaper compared to upgrading my graphic card in three years? IS it possible with the template I'm already following? I haven't changed it at all except question the GPU. Sorry if any or my questions are silly.

Also, what exactly is ubersampling? Is it some sort of AA because I have never heard of it and Ive only seen it used pertaining to TW2.

Thanks for the help.

1) Definitely not.

2) The real name of it would be supersampling. Basically, it renders the game at a higher resolution and downscales it, resulting in much higher IQ.

Wallach

(._.) said:

Thanks for the help.

No, I don't recommend SLI. I was only pointing out that is why that particular card is more expensive, and might make a good candidate if you could get another one later if you wanted to go SLI (since cards in SLI share the frame buffer). I think your template is pretty solid. Stick with the single GTX 580, just get a different version.

Ubersampling is a setting in TW2 which I'm pretty sure is just them giving a dumb name to supersampling AA. Really hard on a system and with a game that is already as taxing as TW2 you're just not going to be able to use it on most current hardware and get decent framerates. Basically nobody's using it right now for that reason, but a GTX 580 will run that game with it turned off with all the other bells and whistles in hand great.

clav

Hazaro said:
And obviously check the board physically if there are loose screws / shorts.
If all of that still doesn't work, unplug and replug all your connections.
If THAT doesn't work, assemble it outside the case with the bare minimum.
I make this a rule before putting a motherboard inside ANY computer.

TEST THE BASIC SETUP FIRST!

Place the motherboard ontop of an antistatic bag. The one that comes with the motherboard works fine.

Put in the CPU + fan + RAM (+ video card if the motherboard doesn't come with onboard video).

Plug in the PSU and power connectors.

Bridge the Power pins together. Watch the screen and if you have the case speaker plugged in, listen.

(._.) said:

Thanks for the help.

SLI is for people who have too much money. Not worth it at all and won't make it any more future proof.

hyduK said:
Ugh. My video card is fried...the smart part of me wants to buy a cheap alternative since I shouldn't spend money on a rig, but do need to use my computer for everyday stuff.

The unreasonable, hype machine, part of me wants to use this as an excuse to buy a decent rig :(.

2500K/GTX 460...likely good enough for BF3 on (close to) max when it drops?

No one knows yet. It'll depend how well BF3 is coded.

(._.)

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
1) Definitely not.

2) The real name of it would be supersampling. Basically, it renders the game at a higher resolution and downscales it, resulting in much higher IQ.
Ok, Thanks.

Wallach said:
No, I don't recommend SLI. I was only pointing out that is why that particular card is more expensive, and might make a good candidate if you could get another one later if you wanted to go SLI (since cards in SLI share the frame buffer). I think your template is pretty solid. Stick with the single GTX 580, just get a different version.

Ubersampling is a setting in TW2 which I'm pretty sure is just them giving a dumb name to supersampling AA. Really hard on a system and with a game that is already as taxing as TW2 you're just not going to be able to use it on most current hardware and get decent framerates. Basically nobody's using it right now for that reason, but a GTX 580 will run that game with it turned off with all the other bells and whistles in hand great.

I went ahead and removed the $590 one and added this one which works out to be $100 less when added to the cart. I understand what you're saying. Guess the super sampling just isn't possible atm with an expensive home setup.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4130587&cm_re=eVGA_580-_-14-130-587-_-Product

Also this is the case that I just added to my cart. Think is a decent one? Problem I had with my last PC I built was that it was a GTX 200 series card and it was really hard to fit into the case, but I managed to do it. Just don't want to have that problem this time.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129087

thanks for responding to my posts

claviertekky said:
SLI is for people who have too much money. Not worth it at all and won't make it any more future proof.

Yeah, would cost an extra $500 for me if I did it. I figured it would make it future proof but I don't know anything.

Wallach

(._.) said:
I went ahead and removed the $590 one and added this one which works out to be $100 less when added to the cart. I understand what you're saying. Guess the super sampling just isn't possible atm with an expensive home setup.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4130587&cm_re=eVGA_580-_-14-130-587-_-Product

Also this is the case that I just added to my cart. Think is a decent one? Problem I had with my last PC I built was that it was a GTX 200 series card and it was really hard to fit into the case, but I managed to do it. Just don't want to have that problem this time.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129087

thanks for responding to my posts

For my money, it would either be that eVGA or the ASUS tri-slot CUII: Link

As for the case, it seems nice but I personally like Antec in the lower price brackets. If you're going to go higher up, I tend to prefer CoolerMaster/Corsair/Fractal cases. I personally love this Corsair in that price range: Link

Out of curiosity, what monitor/mouse/keyboard are you planning to use?

(._.)

Banned
Wallach said:
For my money, it would either be that eVGA or the ASUS tri-slot CUII: Link

As for the case, it seems nice but I personally like Antec in the lower price brackets. If you're going to go higher up, I tend to prefer CoolerMaster/Corsair/Fractal cases. I personally love this Corsair in that price range: Link

Out of curiosity, what monitor/mouse/keyboard are you planning to use?
Hmm, after looking at both cards I decided to choose the ASUS.

I will be using this PC on a Samsung PX2370. Thing is I am sending it off to Samsung repairs tomorrow because it is malfunction. My new PC will probably be a week old when it returns. Playing on an older Samsung SyncMaster from 2008 in the meantime.

I will probably be using my current Logitech g15 and g5. They're 2008 models I believe. I'm unsure of the specifics.

Izayoi

Banned
Holy shit this thing is fucking fast.

Will post pictures after I'm totally through messing around.

Completely dwarfs my old machine in every way.

Just got my paycheck, damn I wanna pull the trigger this weekend.

Intel i3-2100 (3.1GHz)
AsRock H61M-VS B3
G.Skill RipJawsX 4gb(Dual) ddr3-1333 (F3-10666CL8D-4GBXM)
Cooler Master Centurion 5 Series 2 (no psu)
A4tech X710-BH

Old specs:
Athlon X2 5000+ (2.6GHz)
AsRock N68PV-GS
1x2GB Kingston DDR800

I'm not getting a new GPU until BF3 comes out. I'll get the GTX460 or maybe something better when the time comes.

My 550W HEC should be more than enough, but I'm a little worried about my 650VA Powercomm UPS, so I'm kinda considering getting a 1000VA along with the GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom