• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Wallach said:
For my money, it would either be that eVGA or the ASUS tri-slot CUII: Link

As for the case, it seems nice but I personally like Antec in the lower price brackets. If you're going to go higher up, I tend to prefer CoolerMaster/Corsair/Fractal cases. I personally love this Corsair in that price range: Link
ASUS tri slot if you can do 3 slots. People who want to SLi them probably should get the MSI Twin Frozr II. eVGA is good to save $30-$50 and have their warranty support.
Izayoi said:
Holy shit this thing is fucking fast.

Will post pictures after I'm totally through messing around.

Completely dwarfs my old machine in every way.
I would imagine. Now you can really play TERA!
Wolf Akela said:
Just got my paycheck, damn I wanna pull the trigger this weekend.

Intel i3-2100 (3.1GHz)
AsRock H61M-VS B3
G.Skill RipJawsX 4gb(Dual) ddr3-1333 (F3-10666CL8D-4GBXM)
Cooler Master Centurion 5 Series 2 (no psu)
A4tech X710-BH

Old specs:
Athlon X2 5000+ (2.6GHz)
AsRock N68PV-GS
1x2GB Kingston DDR800

I'm not getting a new GPU until BF3 comes out. I'll get the GTX460 or maybe something better when the time comes.

My 550W HEC should be more than enough, but I'm a little worried about my 650VA Powercomm UPS, so I'm kinda considering getting a 1000VA along with the GPU.
Should be a very nice upgrade. The 2100 is super capable, I've actually thought about subbing it into the $600 gaming rig, but it being a dual core makes me wonder about the future of it.
It is faster in every game, most tasks, equal in video encoding performance. So few games truly utilize, or even need a quad.
On the other hand only a few games fall below 60fps (RTS like SCII, Civ 5 and Some games like Far Cry 2) with the x4 640. I think I'll bump it up to a 955 or 840? It's all in the clock speed, so bumping up a 955 to an OC of 3.6 should fix most of those.
On the other other hand, the 2100 is on the 1155 socket and is upgradable to a 2400/2500/2600, very fast and capable quads.

Izayoi

Banned
lol

odUpK.png

She lives!

28fMy.jpg

Anyway, will have better photos after I get some sleep. No good with a camera a 5am.

Should be a very nice upgrade. The 2100 is super capable, I've actually thought about subbing it into the $600 gaming rig, but it being a dual core makes me wonder about the future of it.
It is faster in every game, most tasks, equal in video encoding performance. So few games truly utilize, or even need a quad.
On the other hand only a few games fall below 60fps (RTS like SCII, Civ 5 and Some games like Far Cry 2) with the x4 640. I think I'll bump it up to a 955 or 840? It's all in the clock speed, so bumping up a 955 to an OC of 3.6 should fix most of those.
On the other other hand, the 2100 is on the 1155 socket and is upgradable to a 2400/2500/2600, very fast and capable quads.

Yeah, the dual core nature is what was actually worrying me. The price difference between the i3-2100 and the i5-2500 is just too steep for me, but I usually try to find comfort thinking that the i3 outperforms most Phenom II X4s out there for games. It should really help me in SCII. I really think it's my processor that bottlenecks me so much, I even had 2FPS in one custom game.

Are the extra cores utilized by Fraps though? Been looking forward to smoother recording as well.

epmode

So I'm putting together a new machine. The big thing is that I'd like it to be as quiet as possible while still being air-cooled.

So far, I'm looking at:

Motherboard: EVGA P67 SLI
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost)
CPU fan: Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler
Power supply: CORSAIR Professional Series AX750 750W (not sure about the wattage but the brand looks good)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3

The rest of the stuff is still up in the air.

I would like some help with a case though! My main concern is finding a good, QUIET case that can potentially fit two large video cards. I've been looking at the Fractal Design Define R3 but the intermittent complaints about build quality or damage during shipping are keeping me from biting. Is this a good option or is there another REALLY QUIET case that doesn't look like a goddamned neon carnival?

Arsenic

Hazaro said:
Take out 1 stick of RAM, take out the PCI-E card (I think this is what is causing it).
Double check PSU is on 1 and 115V and outlet has power.
Check if that fan header for the cpu fan actually says CPU_FAN

Clear the CMOS/BIOS. Hold power button. Plug in. See if that works.

Also short the mobo power on/off like someone said to make sure it isn't that connector.
So I've tested the PSU and it works just fine.

I then removed both PCI-E cards and 1 stick of mem....still no response.

I dont know how to clear the CMOS or BIOS...or just-start the board.

Should I RMA the motherboard? That seems to be the issue

MedIC86

i just got the Audio Engine A2
my first quality speaker set for pc evar :p

man....no....words...

holy....

Next week im gonna go Witcher 2 style with these baby's

No more logitech crap ever for me

knitoe

chaosblade said:
What's the best option for a PhysX card right now? I don't plan on upgrading my 5850 yet, so I'll just get a cheapish GPU and mod the drivers to run it hybrid.

I just want whatever will do PhysX while running as cool and quiet as possible.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150513
$55 after rebate, that should be suitable? Anything that would be cooler/quieter?
I installed a 9800GT, use the mod drivers, ran some test and promptly remove it. Card made this annoying humming sound. Can't believe it was louder than my CF setup.

Coldsnap

Alright, so hopefully no more bitching from me about my hard drive seeking vibrations. Stole some hairties and suspended both of my hard drives. Hopefully it should be dead silent now.

edit: holy shat the Ipad 2 camera blows...

153trtf.jpg

Joining the superior race guys, and I'm completely ignorant on everything related to pc component. I have an old pc I use to play WoW on but I'm not salvaging any parts from it other than the monitor.

Basic Desktop Questions:
Your Current Specs: Nothing, just have a flat screen monitor.
Budget: Around $600-700, US
Main Use: Gaming- Looking at wanting to play Witcher 2, Deus Ex, Star Wars The Old Republic
Monitor Resolution: I have a 19 inch flat screen monitor right now
Are reusing any parts?: No
When will you build?: Hoping to have something by next weeks end.
Will you be overclocking?: Googled this and still have no idea what it is.

I'm looking for a computer that can and will play the games I listed at the highest settings really. And I'm assuming, granted I'm ignorant about this, if I have a computer that can run Witcher 2 and Deus Ex...I'd be okay with that build for a while right?

Thanks in advance. Any advice, tips etc. are more than welcome!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Coldsnap said:
edit: holy shat the Ipad 2 camera blows...

http://i56.tinypic.com/153trtf.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Twin frozr!

*respecknuckles*

Anybody know what the safe voltage-range is for gpus when OCing? I'm looking at the nvidia inspector OC menu now and the voltage can be cranked up to 1.150 v IIRC. Would it be "safe" to just put it on the highest V ( non-modded ofc ) if you have the temp overhead?

The Damn Capable build on OP is $600. Knock off the Hyper 212 so you'll get $30 to spend for your casing (though it's really sad).

Can you assemble it yourself? If not we'll go with something less capable.

Wolf Akela said:
The Damn Capable build on OP is $600. Just recycle your keyboard/mouse/speakers. You could also knock off the Hyper 212+ from there so you'll have $30 to spend on new keyboard/mouse/speakers.

Will that build play Witcher 2, Rift, Deus Ex and other big titles coming out? My biggest scare, since I never got into PC gaming, is buying all of this and then 6-8 months down the road getting fucked on a game because it won't play properly.

Wolf Akela said:
Can you assemble it yourself? If not we'll go with something less capable.

Yeah, that I do want to learn.

MedIC86

Square Triangle said:
Budget: Around $600-700, US

Witcher 2

play the games I listed at the highest settings really.

Sorry not gonna happen for that budget, at least not if you also want a new monitor etc.

Check out the specs in the OT and see if you can work something out.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Final question before I order everything:

I want audiophile-level sound for my new build. I already have a Denon reciever and a great 5.1 Energy speaker setup in my computer room, I just want the best possible sound output from the PC.

Is the on-board sound in, say, an ASUS P8P67 PRO adequate for the task, and if not, what soundcard should I look at?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Diseased Yak said:
Final question before I order everything:

I want audiophile-level sound for my new build. I already have a Denon reciever and a great 5.1 Energy speaker setup in my computer room, I just want the best possible sound output from the PC.

Is the on-board sound in, say, an ASUS P8P67 PRO adequate for the task, and if not, what soundcard should I look at?
I'd ditch the onboard audio and look at either the asus xonar essence st/x or the x-fi titanium hd. Both are great cards.

(._.)

Banned
ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
I have the same monitor and love everything about it except for the way it handles source detection over HDMI. Just curious, but how is it malfunctioning?
red line down the screen

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Square Triangle said:
Will that build play Witcher 2, Rift, Deus Ex and other big titles coming out? My biggest scare, since I never got into PC gaming, is buying all of this and then 6-8 months down the road getting fucked on a game because it won't play properly.

It should play them, but don't plan on using much(/any?) AA or playing newer games on high settings. For something in your price range you are looking at playing those type of games at medium settings at 720, barring extremely good deals on a GPU.

I like this build I put together a while back, but it relies on combo deals and mail in rebates so it won't exactly last forever. $10 shipping, forgot to add that. And add a keyboard/mouse/whatever at your discretion.

9r0jY.png

TheExodu5

Banned
Syphon Filter said:
You guys think i should get a p8z68 over a p8p68? I am mainly gaming on my PC.

No. The only real reason to get it is if you need to use both the built in GPU and a discrete GPU...this is going to be mainly for people that want to encode videos using Intel's Quick Sync.

Dennis

Banned
Do anyone have any recommendations/opinions on mechanical gaming keyboards?

I am considering getting the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate keyboard but before I pull the trigger I wanted to hear any alternative suggestions.

But part of the attraction of the Razer is the Macro keys. I need that. The Steelseries 7G is also a mechanical keyboard but it has no Macro keys so that is out.

Any other mechanical keyboards I might want to consider?

ithorien

DennisK4 said:

I am considering getting the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate keyboard but before I pull the trigger I wanted to hear any alternative suggestions.

But part of the attraction of the Razer is the Macro keys. I need that. The Steelseries 7G is also a mechanical keyboard but it has no Macro keys so that is out.

Any other mechanical keyboards I might want to consider?

If you want Macro keys I think that might be your best and possibly only option. I've been looking around as well and the Razer seems to be a good mid-range choice in terms of price, as well as the function that comes with.

I will. Assuming it gets here before I go to work.

0UZeo.jpg

hyduK

Banned
Alright, so like I said in a previous post...my video card is shot. The specs on that PC were:

E5200
eVGA 9800GT
4gb (DDR2 800 I think)

HDD/Optical drives are good, don't plan on upgrading...maybe an SSD in the future.

For the time being, I'm assuming that it's just the video card that was fried. So, I need some opinions. I need my PC, that's undeniable, so the video card also needs to be replaced. I'll be replacing my PSU as well simply because I don't really trust the thing anymore (I've been using it for 6 years now...it's an Aspire 500W). I'll probably splurge on an Antec 100 since they're cheap and my case is fucking ugly (it's an old Chenming Mid-Tower that I bought off a friend when I built my first PC). Now, assuming I don't breakdown and buy a 2500K, mobo, and RAM while I'm at the store, what's the best option for a video card.

I'm going away for 2 months in mid-july, and intend on finishing the build in the fall (before BF3). So I could either buy a cheap replacement now, and hope that prices drop quite a bit before then so that I can buy a better card when the fall comes, or I could go with a midrange card now and just pop it in the new rig when the time comes. There doesn't seem to be many 'cheap' options that would make it worthwhile to go the first route. There wouldn't be any issues with getting a mid range card, would there? (compatibility wise I mean, as long as my mobo supports PCI-e there shouldn't be an issue, right?)

Furthermore, if I do wait till the fall, how much am I really going to be saving? I haven't been keeping up with hardware as of late, but obviously prices tend to drop quick...would it be safe to assume that the 2500K will be the 'sweet spot' for a while? The P8P67 seems like it's going to hold up for some time.

Thanks for any advice/opinions.

Dennis

Banned
Recent expensive keyboards I have used and which turned out to be shit:

Logitech DiNovo

MS Sidewinder X6

A good keyboard is really important and I am quite pissed off with those two overpriced pieces of shit.

You might want to check out the Zibal 60. However, it is slightly more expensive than than the Black Widow Ultimate. The only reason I bought it anyway is because NCIX tossed in a $20 gift card.

Dennis

Banned
BloodySinner said:
You might want to check out the Zibal 60. However, it is slightly more expensive than than the Black Widow Ultimate. The only reason I bought it anyway is because NCIX tossed in a $20 gift card.
Thanks. I will check it out.

scy

DennisK4 said:
Recent expensive keyboards I have used and which turned out to be shit:

Logitech DiNovo

MS Sidewinder X6

A good keyboard is really important and I am quite pissed off with those two overpriced pieces of shit.

Eh, I use my DiNovo as part of my wireless setup (with an MX Revolution for the mouse) and it's treated me perfectly fine. Haven't really run into any issues with it and it feels comfortably fine. A step down, sure, from my G15 but to be expected since it's a smaller overall keyboard. And wireless.

That said, I've not done a ton of gaming with it (most recent one I can think of was probably Dragon Age 2) but I don't recall too many issues.

edit: Oh god, that Zibal 60 looks glorious. Ugh, I'm about to switch back to a wired setup so it's so tempting to just pick one of them up. Oh man...

Dennis

Banned
scy said:
Eh, I use my DiNovo as part of my wireless setup (with an MX Revolution for the mouse) and it's treated me perfectly fine. Haven't really run into any issues with it and it feels comfortably fine. A step down, sure, from my G15 but to be expected since it's a smaller overall keyboard. And wireless.
For media center type light stuff the DiNovo is fine but as a heavy duty work/gaming keyboard it sucks.

ithorien

Razer has very minor rollover issues as well, but it shouldn't be a problem-

Razer Black Widow (lighted and non-lighted): 2KRO. Fails ZXC. Well optimized around WASD/ESDF clusters. Not so much for arrow key users - any combo above 2 arrow keys fails. Source 1. Source 2 (note CTRL-AQ does work) ESDF combo source.

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=NKey+Rollover+-+Overview+Testing+Methodology+and+Results

Keyboard testing program-

http://www.otd.kr/bbs/board.php?bo_table=aikon_down&wr_id=50

scy

DennisK4 said:
For media center type light stuff the DiNovo is fine but as a heavy duty work/gaming keyboard it sucks.

True, I guess. I know I wouldn't want to PC game with it as my only keyboard, and, honestly, my wireless setup is 95% of the reason I decided against playing SC2 all day.

Kyaw

DennisK4 said:
Thanks for the suggestions but I think Razer is the only mechanical one with Macro keys.

Ah right, fair enough. Although you can always remap the function keys for media use.

There's the Steelseries 7g too. It has media key symbols for the function buttons.

Smokey

Just stopped by microcenter and picked up a hyper 212+. Told the guy about my h70 problems and he literally spent 30 or so minutes talking to me about the cooler, opening mobo boxes and looking at the fan headers to make sure everything was hooked up right. Very helpful and knowledgeable. To him sounds like I have everything hooked up right ...but the pump may be clogged or radiator leaking. If that the case I'm screwed and have to send it in to Corsair for replacement as its a closed design.

Gonna check to see if I have the fans pointed in the right direction etc when I get home. Figures when I don't get the protection guarantee on something...shit happens. This blows.

ithorien

Smokey said:
Just stopped by microcenter and picked up a hyper 212+. Told the guy about my h70 problems and he literally spent 30 or so minutes talking to me about the cooler, opening mobo boxes and looking at the fan headers to make sure everything was hooked up right. Very helpful and knowledgeable. To him sounds like I have everything hooked up right ...but the pump may be clogged or radiator leaking. If that the case I'm screwed and have to send it in to Corsair for replacement as its a closed design.

Gonna check to see if I have the fans pointed in the right direction etc when I get home. Figures when I don't get the protection guarantee on something...shit happens. This blows.

Honestly, I think you got a better cooler anyway. Less hassle, easier to troubleshoot. My 2500k runs at 4.4/1.3v and it tops out at 68 degrees C, and I'm pretty sure I used just a little too much paste but don't feel like redoing it right now.

Looks like it's a royal pain in the ass to mount/dismount the thing if you're troubleshooting/replacing too.

Shambles

Smokey

ithorien said:
Honestly, I think you got a better cooler anyway. Less hassle, easier to troubleshoot. My 2500k runs at 4.4/1.3v and it tops out at 68 degrees C, and I'm pretty sure I used just a little too much paste but don't feel like redoing it right now.

Looks like it's a royal pain in the ass to mount/dismount the thing if you're troubleshooting/replacing too.

Yes it is. I have to take my mobo out of the case and everything which is something I don't really feel like doing. I'm going to call Corsair when I get home and hopefully get someone who speaks English to walk me through troubleshooting before I go through the hassle of taking everything apart.

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom