• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
Smokey said:
Yes it is. I have to take my mobo out of the case and everything which is something I don't really feel like doing. I'm going to call Corsair when I get home and hopefully get someone who speaks English to walk me through troubleshooting before I go through the hassle of taking everything apart.

:(

It's a shame only the Corsair cases have big enough backplate cutouts to fit most motherboards.

epmode

I don't want to be THAT GUY but here we are!

If anyone knows anything about building a quiet computer, I could really use some advice regarding a post I made early this morning:

So I'm putting together a new machine. The big thing is that I'd like it to be as quiet as possible while still being air-cooled.

So far, I'm looking at:

Motherboard: EVGA P67 SLI
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost)
CPU fan: Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler
Power supply: CORSAIR Professional Series AX750 750W (not sure about the wattage but the brand looks good)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3

The rest of the stuff is still up in the air.

I would like some help with a case though! My main concern is finding a good, QUIET case that can potentially fit two large video cards. I've been looking at the Fractal Design Define R3 but the intermittent complaints about build quality or damage during shipping are keeping me from biting. Is this a good option or is there another REALLY QUIET case that doesn't look like a goddamned neon carnival?

Saige

I must do better.
Does anyone have any opinions on the Samsung SyncMaster 2443BW 24" monitor?

My choices are kind of limited since I want to go with a 16:10 monitor and they seem to be disappearing.

I’m just kind of hesitant to pick this up since I current have a SyncMaster 226BW, but after 3 years of use I’m having problems with the capacitors in it.

Saige said:
I’m just kind of hesitant to pick this up since I current have a SyncMaster 226BW, but after 3 years of use I’m having problems with the capacitors in it.
I'm also having issues with the 226BW model. I'll probably choose another brand next time I buy a new monitor.

RS4-

Yeah I had the same issue with my 226BW and ended up selling it last week after it got repaired. So now I'm down to just one Dell 1080p monitor...which I don't remember the model of.

Anyone deal with Silverstone RMA before? I'm just going to RMA my case to get the fan controller fixed and hopefully get the whole thing replaced for one with the AP fans.

Now...if I have to pay shipping for this thing, forget it. I'll just replace the fans myself as shipping estimates are $100+

Tell me how loud the clicking noise gets.

That is my one concern. But I guess you get used to it.
The keyboard just came in. Conveniently enough, now I have to go to work. However, I will say this, the keyboard has some hefty weight to it. The quality is there, as far as I can tell.

UvoKt.jpg

When I get home, I'll try to do an unboxing video or at least try te record the sound it makes. Which, I find, loud.

Forsete

Hey brews..

What would you buy?

Deciding between these two lappys.

Lenovo ThinkPad T520 4240
Intel Core i5 2410M / 2.3 GHz
PCI Express x16 - NVIDIA NVS 4200M (Dedicated 1GB RAM) / Intel HD Graphics 3000
4GB DDR3 RAM (2x2 GB | 8GB MAX)
500GB 7200rpm HDD
1600 x 900 ( WXGA++ ) LED

Lenovo ThinkPad T520 4243
Intel Core i7 2620M / 2.7 GHz
Intel HD Graphics 3000 Dynamic Video Memory Technology
4GB DDR3 RAM (1x4 GB | 8GB MAX)
500GB 7200rpm HDD
1600 x 900 ( WXGA++ ) LED

Is the i7 worth the extra cost, considering you also lose the 2nd GPU.
Or should I go with the i5 which also has nVidia Optimus support?

Leaning towards the i5.

Izayoi

Banned
Here we go, a somewhat clear shot of the build.

100_0668a89y.jpg

Out with the old, and in with the new!

100_0669jmki.jpg

Never again will I buy a case that doesn't let me route cables behind the motherboard. If I could go back in time and punch my past self in the face for one thing it would be buying that atrocious case five years ago. Good riddance.

RS4-

Mind taking a shot of the back panel? I have to work on my cable routing when I pick up the new parts.

Anyone with the Silverstone FT02 or RV02, mind doing the same?

mkenyon

Banned
epmode said:
I don't want to be THAT GUY but here we are!

If anyone knows anything about building a quiet computer, I could really use some advice regarding a post I made early this morning:

So I'm putting together a new machine. The big thing is that I'd like it to be as quiet as possible while still being air-cooled.

So far, I'm looking at:

Motherboard: EVGA P67 SLI
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost)
CPU fan: Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler
Power supply: CORSAIR Professional Series AX750 750W (not sure about the wattage but the brand looks good)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3

The rest of the stuff is still up in the air.

I would like some help with a case though! My main concern is finding a good, QUIET case that can potentially fit two large video cards. I've been looking at the Fractal Design Define R3 but the intermittent complaints about build quality or damage during shipping are keeping me from biting. Is this a good option or is there another REALLY QUIET case that doesn't look like a goddamned neon carnival?
Just about any case can be quiet if you use the right fans and controller. Additionally, you can buy sound insulating foam from websites like Performance PCs to line your case with. Personally, however, I just did a build in the Fractal for a friend, and it was great. Buy the case ahead of time and make sure it's in good order. The problems sound like they stem from issues with insufficient packaging and UPS being a little rough with them, not issues as far as build quality go. Newegg will take care of you if there's any issues.

Also 2600K is overkill for games, unless you're planning on running virtual machines, encoding, or heavy editing.

sk3tch

Razer Black Widow Ultimate is awesome...I've had mine for a few months and would never go back. Yeah - it's loud but you definitely get used to it.

What case is that Izayoi? HAF? Thing is nice. Very roomy. I'm just a tinge cramped in my CM 690 II Advanced but I still love it for the price.

RS4-

Speaking of wires, I want to sleeve all of mine but the multiple connectors on the Corsair cables are so annoying.

I'll probably try to get a hold of the ones from Seasonic instead, I don't think there's a problem with using those ones lol.

Izayoi

Banned
RS4- said:
Mind taking a shot of the back panel?
Sure thing.

100_06736f2m.jpg

I basically had to sit on the panel to actually secure it in place. It's a good thing the case is built like a tank.

sk3tch said:
What case is that Izayoi? HAF? Thing is nice. Very roomy. I'm just a tinge cramped in my CM 690 II Advanced but I still love it for the price.
HAF X. I will never build a machine without a full tower case ever again. So roomy and easy to work with.

Coldsnap said:
Very nice Izayoi, now spend 2 hours to sharpie in all the cord colors to black.. then it will be ninja sexy like mine.
Hahaha. I might later, but for now I'm just basking in the speed.

CaLe

GAF, what keyboard and mice would you guys recommend for a gamer ?

I keep seeing people here purchase Razer products, are they really worth it ?

Thanks

Wallach

CaLe said:

Thanks

Mouse-wise I would get an MX518 or a DeathAdder. I quite prefer the build and shape of the MX518 but the DeathAdder has a slightly better sensor. Also the Black edition of the DA is rubberized on the sides (like the MX518) but the rubber stuff it's made out of is garbage and will start coming off fast. Get the normal version of the DeathAdder for smooth plastic sides if that sounds bad, or maybe just scratch it off.

As far as keyboards go, I prefer mechanical stuff. I can help you out there but they're not cheap compared to rubber dome keyboards. If you do get a rubber dome style board don't waste your money on an expensive one with extra buttons or "gamer features" and other such crap.

MedIC86

CaLe said:

Thanks

It's really personal, i would suggest to try find a shop were you can try some stuff.
I use a Razer Deathadder, and a logitech illuminated laptop keyboard (i hate the mechanical click sound of normal keyboards).

Razer is okay, but there stuff was better in the past, certain parts break after a while etc.

CaLe

Wallach said:
Mouse-wise I would get an MX518 or a DeathAdder. I quite prefer the build and shape of the MX518 but the DeathAdder has a slightly better sensor. Also the Black edition of the DA is rubberized on the sides (like the MX518) but the rubber stuff it's made out of is garbage and will start coming off fast. Get the normal version of the DeathAdder for smooth plastic sides if that sounds bad, or maybe just scratch it off.

As far as keyboards go, I prefer mechanical stuff. I can help you out there but they're not cheap compared to rubber dome keyboards. If you do get a rubber dome style board don't waste your money on an expensive one with extra buttons or "gamer features" and other such crap.

Thanks Wallach, much appreciated.

Is a wired mouse really much better than a wireless one..? I've been using a wireless mouse for as long as I remember and never really had any problem with games. If they *are* better though, I'll look for the MX518 / Death Adder and try them out if I can.

As for keyboards, why would you recommend a mechanical one ?

I don't live alone, so my only fear is that the noise produced when pressing keys will wake others in the house.

Are such keyboards really loud ?

MedIC86 said:
It's really personal, i would suggest to try find a shop were you can try some stuff.
I use a Razer Deathadder, and a logitech illuminated laptop keyboard (i hate the mechanical click sound of normal keyboards).

Razer is okay, but there stuff was better in the past, certain parts break after a while etc.

Thanks Med :).

Yeah the problem is actually finding a store where I can try these out... I see that the DeathAdder is popular.

I don't know if I'll be able to get re-accustomed to a wired mouse after all these years though.

mkenyon

Banned
CaLe said:

Thanks
I've tried probably 10-15 different mice in the past 3 years. Steelseries Xai is better than everything. Everyone in my gaming group has one as well since trying mine. Some of them are professional gamers. That said, I have a Razer Imperator I use on my secondary gaming rig which I really like, it's like the Deathadder +1. Deathadder was my prior favorite before the Xai.

Keyboards, you can't beat the price:performance ratio of the Blackwidow. Cherry Blue Mechanical keyboard for $70. Most of my buddies swear by the Steelseries... 7G I think? Has Cherry Brown switches, so it's quiet. They also take a bit more force than the blues, which they really like.

MedIC86

CaLe said:
I don't know if I'll be able to get re-accustomed to a wired mouse after all these years though.

Well i can tell you from my own experience, i bought the Razer Mamba (and they are not cheap) only to get dissapointed. Besides from weird jumps and quirks (i have a good mousepad so thats not the issue) the battery life was really bad compared to logitech wireless mice.
If you want wireless bad you might want to check out Logitech MX revo.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Izayoi said:
Here we go, a somewhat clear shot of the build.

Out with the old, and in with the new!

Never again will I buy a case that doesn't let me route cables behind the motherboard. If I could go back in time and punch my past self in the face for one thing it would be buying that atrocious case five years ago. Good riddance.
I saw that you bought the beefy psu for possible sli down the road, but looking inside at the 3-slot videocard, is another card going to fit?

CaLe

mkenyon said:
I've tried probably 10-15 different mice in the past 3 years. Steelseries Xai is better than everything. Everyone in my gaming group has one as well since trying mine. Some of them are professional gamers. That said, I have a Razer Imperator I use on my secondary gaming rig which I really like, it's like the Deathadder +1. Deathadder was my prior favorite before the Xai.

Keyboards, you can't beat the price:performance ratio of the Blackwidow. Cherry Blue Mechanical keyboard for $70. Most of my buddies swear by the Steelseries... 7G I think? Has Cherry Brown switches, so it's quiet. They also take a bit more force than the blues, which they really like.

Thanks Kenyon!

What do you like best about the Xai..? What differentiates it from other mice out there ?

Also, are the key presses loud on the BlackWidow ? I was looking at that keyboard actually.

MedIC86 said:
Well i can tell you from my own experience, i bought the Razer Mamba (and they are not cheap) only to get dissapointed. Besides from weird jumps and quirks (i have a good mousepad so thats not the issue) the battery life was really bad compared to logitech wireless mice.
If you want wireless bad you might want to check out Logitech MX revo.

I'll have to agree.. The battery life of wireless mouses are abysmal. I actually have the Logitech MX Revo at work and I have to charge it everyday.

I really like how ergonomic it is though.

I was considering getting another one if you guys had no suggestions, which wasn't the case thankfully.

mkenyon

Banned
Fit and feel is outstanding, build quality is out of this world. Also, every single setting from sensitivity and x/y DPI (not the same thing, which many people confuse) is adjustable in increments of 1. The laser takes images at 12,000 FPS, acceleration up to 150 inches/sec. The feet are perfect material to both glide yet give control, working best on hard surfaces. You can also load different profiles. I switch between 3, one for MoBA games, one for modern shooters (where Y sens is way down since there's no real Y axis in the games), and one for hardcore FPS like Tribes/Q3A/Warsow.

itxaka

Defeatist
Got a strange problems with my temps. Suddenly this afternoon started to smell like plastic burning so I went and checked my temps.

One of the motherboard temps shows that something is at 80ºC. After some checking, it seems that the temp is referred to the northbridge.

Just in case I booted into ubuntu to check again and I got the same reading:

it8720-isa-0228
Adapter: ISA adapter
in0: +1.33 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
in1: +1.50 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
in2: +3.36 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
+5V: +3.04 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
in4: +3.12 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
in5: +1.65 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
in6: +3.36 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
5VSB: +2.99 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
Vbat: +3.18 V
fan1: 1412 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
fan2: 0 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
fan3: 0 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
fan5: 1182 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
temp1: +32.0°C (low = +127.0°C, high = +127.0°C) sensor = thermistor
temp2: +35.0°C (low = +127.0°C, high = +127.0°C) sensor = thermal diode
temp3: +79.0°C (low = +127.0°C, high = +127.0°C) sensor = thermistor
cpu0_vid: +1.250 V

So I opened teh case, checked and found that everything seems to be ok. Northbridge only has no fan, but one of those passive dissipation things (sorry, can't find the english word for it).

So just in case it wasn't the northbridege I checked the rest of the fans and everything is ok and working pretty good as shown on the temps above.

So for the final test, I checked the temp of it (80ºC), turn off the computer and quickly take out the unscrewed panel and put my finger directly into the northbride metal. Sure, if it was at 80ºC I should have noticed some fucking heat on my finger but it was ok. Around 35/39ºC I would say.

Thing is, I still can smell some kind of strange smell coming from it. It kind of smells like when power supplies fuck up. And there was a storm today, albeit really small one mostly half an hour of raining.

Sooooooo, what should I do? Worry? Freakout? put my penis into the northbridge while the computer is on? Forget about it? Wait until tomorrow to see if the smell goes away?

HALP! Im in the middle of the witcher 2, this can't be happening now :_(

P.S.: How do you put load on the northbridge? Is there any way of doing so I can see if the temp goes up?

P.S.2.: Motherboard Gigabyte 770TA-UD3

Manp

i have to say this stupid thing that's crossing my mind: let's stop this 3 slots videocard nonsense before it becomes standard for hi-end gpu!

:)

Wallach

CaLe said:
Thanks Wallach, much appreciated.

Is a wired mouse really much better than a wireless one..? I've been using a wireless mouse for as long as I remember and never really had any problem with games. If they *are* better though, I'll look for the MX518 / Death Adder and try them out if I can.

As for keyboards, why would you recommend a mechanical one ?

I don't live alone, so my only fear is that the noise produced when pressing keys will wake others in the house.

Are such keyboards really loud ?

Some mechanical keyboards are loud, some aren't. The Black Widow is quite loud as it uses MX Blue switches, so you get an audible click from each key about halfway down the stroke.

You can get stuff like the MX Brown switches, which are a bit lighter than MX Blue and do not have the audible click but still have sort of a friction around the actuation point for tactility purposes. A lot of boards also use MX Black switches (like all of the SteelSeries boards) which are completely linear (the amount of force from the top of the stroke to the bottom scales linearly) which are very smooth, but require a bit more force than either of the other two switches.

That said, for gaming I don't like using anything with MX Blue switches. I find a harsh tactile point kind of sub-par for gaming, not to mention it's just bloody loud. Brown or Black (or Reds if you want very light instead of heavy like Black) much preferable for gaming.

kpx0

Banned
Izayoi said:
100_0669jmki.jpg

meh, you dont need a $100 case to have nice cable management... get rid of unnecessary extra case fans/drives, pick your parts better and a decent modular psu.. pic of my $15 case:

wujlau.jpg

epmode

mkenyon said:
Just about any case can be quiet if you use the right fans and controller. Additionally, you can buy sound insulating foam from websites like Performance PCs to line your case with. Personally, however, I just did a build in the Fractal for a friend, and it was great. Buy the case ahead of time and make sure it's in good order. The problems sound like they stem from issues with insufficient packaging and UPS being a little rough with them, not issues as far as build quality go. Newegg will take care of you if there's any issues.
This is very useful, thanks.

The CPU might be overkill but I'd like some ridiculously high clock speeds for emulation. And from what I can tell, the 2600k will allow for faster speeds in the end.

mkenyon

Banned
epmode said:
This is very useful, thanks.

The CPU might be overkill but I'd like some ridiculously high clock speeds for emulation. And from what I can tell, the 2600k will allow for faster speeds in the end.
Sure, if you get into water and/or nitrogen. The mobo has a lot more to do with that than the proc though. It's the same chip, but 2600 has hyperthreading.

Arnie

So if I wanted to buy a 580 now it's around ~£400 in the UK. If I was to wait until maybe early October to buy how much would that price fall by? Same with the other items in the computer such as the i5 2500K and the motherboard?

mkenyon

Banned
Arnie said:
So if I wanted to buy a 580 now it's around ~£400 in the UK. If I was to wait until maybe early October to buy how much would that price fall by? Same with the other items in the computer such as the i5 2500K and the motherboard?
Probably not much at all. Intel doesn't really drop the prices on their chips ever. Check out the prices on the 775 and 1366 Quads, still about the same price as they were new. The 580 depends on a ton of stuff which no one knows outside of nVidia, but it probably won't be significantly cheaper.

XeroSauce

Would you guys be able to suggest a good "gaming" wireless router?
I would be attached to it wired, and my sister/mother would be using the wireless.

The Linksys WRT54GTbleh I had suddenly stopped working for Steam, and I got a Cisco Valet (well, my girlfriend did for me) but it doesn't seem to be holding up as well as I had hoped.

Any suggestions?

itxaka

Defeatist
itxaka said:
Got a strange problems with my temps. Suddenly this afternoon started to smell like plastic burning so I went and checked my temps.

No need for an answer, the fucker died.

For what Im guessing, misteriously, the heat thingie got separated from teh northbridge due to the advanced system gigabyte uses for it. Some fucking strings with a piece of plastic. Bra-fucking-vo.

And that is the reason the northbridge thing wasn't hot to the touch, because it wasn't actually touching it.

When I press the power button, it ligths up for about a third of a second. So I guess it's the motherboard 100%? Or could it actually be the power supply? Taking the smell and the 80ºC readings I guess the motherboard is the one which diesd with a 100% of security.

Thankfully in Spain there is a 2 year guarantee, because I think the MB was bougth just exactly one year ago.

PS: FML THE WITCHER 2 FUCK FUCK FUCK THIS SHIT!

Wallach

nilbog21 said:
Hm, I guess the Antec 900 is sold out. Is it worth it to get the Antec 300 for 30$ shipped? :|

IMO the Antec 300 is probably the best low-cost case on the market. I used one on my last build and while it's not feature rich or anything it is a really great case for the price.

TheExodu5

Banned
mkenyon said:
I said the same thing when I built in a HAF. Then I took it to a LAN.

Haha same here. Thing is a bitch to take to LANs. Nice case otherwise, though.

kpx0 said:
meh, you dont need a $100 case to have nice cable management... get rid of unnecessary extra case fans/drives, pick your parts better and a decent modular psu.. pic of my $15 case:

wujlau.jpg

Too many compromises to save a bit of cash. A nice case will last you through many builds.

XeroSauce said:
Would you guys be able to suggest a good "gaming" wireless router?
I would be attached to it wired, and my sister/mother would be using the wireless.

The Linksys WRT54GTbleh I had suddenly stopped working for Steam, and I got a Cisco Valet (well, my girlfriend did for me) but it doesn't seem to be holding up as well as I had hoped.

Any suggestions?

Many wireless routers tend to be quite flaky.

One of the current favorites is the Netgear WNDR-3700.

Another is the Asus RT-N16, but it basically requires DD-WRT to work properly.

Arnie

mkenyon said:
Probably not much at all. Intel doesn't really drop the prices on their chips ever. Check out the prices on the 775 and 1366 Quads, still about the same price as they were new. The 580 depends on a ton of stuff which no one knows outside of nVidia, but it probably won't be significantly cheaper.
Ok cheers. I suppose I'm not too bothered about the motherboard prices dropping as those aren't the major factors. If I could get the 580 down from ~400 to ~300 it'd be great. I'd love to have a 580 in my build, if just for the piece of mind to know I was using what DICE were when they built BF3.

What would people suggest as the next best NVidia alternative outside of the 580 that'd be more than adequate to play BF3 at near top specs and be future proofed for a few years?

TheExodu5

Banned
Arnie said:
Ok cheers. I suppose I'm not too bothered about the motherboard prices dropping as those aren't the major factors. If I could get the 580 down from ~400 to ~300 it'd be great. I'd love to have a 580 in my build, if just for the piece of mind to know I was using what DICE were when they built BF3.

What would people suggest as the next best NVidia alternative outside of the 580 that'd be more than adequate to play BF3 at near top specs and be future proofed for a few years?

We can't give you a definite answer. No one knows what it will take to run BF3 at max settings, yet.

The closest thing to a GTX 580 is the GTX 570. 85% of the performance for $350 instead of $500.

mkenyon

Banned
nilbog21 said:
Hm, I guess the Antec 900 is sold out. Is it worth it to get the Antec 300 for 30$ shipped? :|
IMO, no antec is worth it. The HAF 912 is in that price range, and a much better buy.

Arnie said:

What Exodu5 said. If you want to build a rig for BF3, wait till there are benchmarks and/or recommended specs for it and build it for that.

TheExodu5

Banned
mkenyon said:
IMO, no antec is worth it. The HAF 912 is in that price range, and a much better buy.

Not a fan of building with Antecs due to the lacking features (no perpendicular drive bays, mediocre cable management)...but they at least have pretty good build quality. For $30, the Antec 300 is a pretty decent buy. Still, I'm never against spending a bit more on a more usable case than can last through a few builds and make upgrades more painless.

Arnie

Cheers guys, I guess I'll just try to earn as much money from a job over summer and see where that gets me come near to BF3's release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom