• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiggs

Gold Member
IMACOMPUTA said:
Hey guys..
Just wondering what my upgrade options are.

I have :

i5 750
p7p55d-le motherboard
4GB RAM
and
XFX 5850 1GB (got it right when it launched)

I remember hearing something about how Crossfire would suck on my computer.. is that true? I'm trying to think of possible upgrades in order to slay Battlefield 3.

I have my video card and processor both overclocked and get amazing performance on BFBC2.

Anybody have any upgrade ideas?

Yeah, here's an upgrade ideas(because your CPU is fine):

Get a new video card. Maybe a 6950 or a GTX 570. Hell, you could even spring for a GTX 580.

And you could always add more RAM...not that an extra 4GB will do much, but you know...if you have the urge.

CaLe

Hey guys, so I finally received my PC today and... Let's just say that I'm not really happy.

I'm experiencing a weird performance degradation problem.

Randomly, Windows just "freezes" (I can move the cursor around but I can't click on anything).

I checked the event viewer and I found this:

The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period.

Any idea why I'm getting this ?

I'd be really grateful to anyone with a solution...

Thanks

Wallach

CaLe said:
Hey guys, so I finally received my PC today and... Let's just say that I'm not really happy.

Randomly, Windows just "freezes" (I can move the cursor around but I can't click on anything).

Thanks

Check this thread out and see if it helps:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...e/thread/17c97ce3-71ab-4be2-9d68-6aa9051c4315

Seems like a RAID issue?

CaLe said:

Thanks

What is the OS that is installed?

If its Vista, check this out:

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/cs-025783.htm

CaLe

Thanks guys, but I have Windows 7.

I also have an SSD and an IDE drive, with the OS installed on the SSD.

The computer was assembled by the vendor (NCIX); How do I check if RAID is enabled..?

Forkball

Got my parts today! But I can't finish it until tomorrow because I forgot one incredibly important aspect: pliers. Stupid brass standoffs!

IMACOMPUTA

Chiggs said:
Yeah, here's an upgrade ideas(because your CPU is fine):

Get a new video card. Maybe a 6950 or a GTX 570. Hell, you could even spring for a GTX 580.

And you could always add more RAM...not that an extra 4GB will do much, but you know...if you have the urge.

Cool, thank you (and Wallach)!

I'll keep my eyes open for GPU deals.

Wallach

CaLe said:
Thanks guys, but I have Windows 7.

I also have an SSD and an IDE drive, with the OS installed on the SSD.

The computer was assembled by the vendor (NCIX); How do I check if RAID is enabled..?

Shouldn't be in a RAID array if that's the case. From what I have read, I'd still try to install the latest Intel Matrix drivers. It also could be a failing IDE drive.

Doesn't NCIX test these builds before they ship them? I'd call them because you shouldn't have this problem really.

CaLe

Wallach said:
Shouldn't be in a RAID array if that's the case. From what I have read, I'd still try to install the latest Intel Matrix drivers. It also could be a failing IDE drive.

Doesn't NCIX test these builds before they ship them? I'd call them because you shouldn't have this problem really.

They should have tested it....

What pisses me off, is that by looking at the Event Viewer, I see the same error occurring back when they were building the PC.

I'm seriously pissed off...

I'll try that Matrix driver... Thanks

Wallach

Ryusei said:
Ugh, just my luck that it is sold out. Is there anything around the same price and has the same capabilities that are available?

Not anymore. Like I mentioned, open box deals are generally like 1-2 pieces and they go fast. There is still a 6870 open box for $160, though that's only about ~40 cheaper than retail. I'm personally selling a Visiontek 5850 for $125 shipped if you want to save a bit of scratch. :p

CaLe

Just Great, apparently I can't even install that Matrix Controller thing, it's not supported under Windows 7... UGH.

CaLe

scogoth said:

I downloaded it and I get an error when launching it.

Something along the lines of:

This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software.

Note: the "ENU" version gives me this error. The "CD" version tells me that I already have a newer version of the driver...

Wallach

CaLe said:
Just Great, apparently I can't even install that Matrix Controller thing, it's not supported under Windows 7... UGH.

Definitely call them, they should take care of you. If Windows is installed on the SSD, you could probably unplug the HDD to verify that it's HDD drive causing your problems. Might be worth just trying to reseat all of the plugs in case one of them isn't fully seated.

CaLe

Wallach said:
Definitely call them, they should take care of you. If Windows is installed on the SSD, you could probably unplug the HDD to verify that it's HDD drive causing your problems. Might be worth just trying to reseat all of the plugs in case one of them isn't fully seated.

Definitely will..

Just wondering, should the 6 pin connection to the far right be plugged-in ?

BLACK_2TB_wdfDesktop_CaviarBlack.jpg

It isn't in my case, is that normal ?

Ryusei

Neo Member
Hmmm difficult decision time, I can afford to build everything at the moment. (from the list I posted earlier minus the GPU) How much longevity do you think I will get out of a 6870? The Witcher 2 is the game I want to play ASAP, with the open possibility of playing a game just as demanding or maybe more. (COUGH*Battlefield 3) Should I wait a couple weeks and pay for a more capable GPU or buy now?

Wallach

CaLe said:
Definitely will..

Just wondering, should the 6 pin connection to the far right be plugged-in ?

http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/image/akg/Storage/WD2TB/BLACK_2TB_wdfDesktop_CaviarBlack.jpg

It isn't in my case, is that normal ?

Those are actually jumper settings. So, if you need to put the drive in a different state, you'd put a jumper over two particular pins and those two pins forming a circuit always starts the drive in a particular mode. I don't think you'd have a jumper on there with your setup.

Ryusei said:
Hmmm difficult decision time, I can afford to build everything at the moment. (from the list I posted earlier minus the GPU) How much longevity do you think I will get out of a 6870? The Witcher 2 is the game I want to play ASAP, with the open possibility of playing a game just as demanding or maybe more. (COUGH*Battlefield 3) Should I wait a couple weeks and pay for a more capable GPU or buy now?

I personally might wait another week or so and just keep your eyes out on Newegg or other places for a good deal on a 6950 1GB or maybe a 560 Ti. I think both cards will likely run BF3 well and they'll handle The Witcher 2 just fine.

Ryusei

Neo Member
Wallach said:
I personally might wait another week or so and just keep your eyes out on Newegg or other places for a good deal on a 6950 1GB or maybe a 560 Ti. I think both cards will likely run BF3 well and they'll handle The Witcher 2 just fine.

Yeah I was considering that. Plus I would like to have a bit more of a buffer in terms of my budget. No rush. :)

IMACOMPUTA said:
I'm gonna be eyeballing THIS as it gets closer to November.

I think it's possible to flash my 5850 to a 5870.
What kind of improvement would that be?
Well that 6950 can be flashed to be a 6970, which would be a big improvement over a 5850. They're phasing these ones out with ones that can't be flashed, AFAIK.

I've never heard of flashing a 5850 to a 5870.

Velion

CaLe said:

Thanks
Lemme Guess, you're using a Crucial SSD (C300/M4)? if so ThisShould work, at least it worked for me.

nilbog21

Banned
Ryusei said:

I'm in the same boat. I'm thinking about getting 6870 but I'm gona wait for a 6950 or something like it seeing that it was 180$ on amazon a couple of times in the last few weeks --a

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

CaLe

Velion said:
Lemme Guess, you're using a Crucial SSD (C300/M4)? if so ThisShould work, at least it worked for me.

Thanks Velion, so far everything runs smooth. I sincerely hope that the random performance drops won't occur again...

I contacted NCIX. Seriously, what the HELL have they been testing. The error was visible in the Event Viewer back when they were assembling the system and supposedly testing it.

Still, thanks, I truly appreciate it.

I'll report back tomorrow and let everyone know if I'm still experiencing the problem. It will help others down the line determine if the solution works with the C400 version of the SSD...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Wallach said:
I'm not sure I'm feeling the 2GB 6950 in a budget build. The 1GB makes a lot more sense.
It is DAMN CAPABLE. (Also just $13 more). Never said it was a budget build. If you want budget, drop in a 460.
Who needs a case when you can feel the power of 60fps 4xAA triple buffed v-sync?

*Does your mailman have a resizing tool as well?

Velion

CaLe said:
Thanks Velion, so far everything runs smooth. I sincerely hope that the random performance drops won't occur again...

I contacted NCIX. Seriously, what the HELL have they been testing. The error was visible in the Event Viewer back when they were assembling the system and supposedly testing it.

Still, thanks, I truly appreciate it.

I'll report back tomorrow and let everyone know if I'm still experiencing the problem. It will help others down the line determine if the solution works with the C400 version of the SSD...
Yeah I'm on the C400/M4 as well, its a known issue. Should be fine now though.

CaLe

Anyone has a guide explaining how to overclock the i5 2500k on a P8z68 board ?

It could even be on the P8P67 board, I doubt the Z68 version has a different Bios...

I'm currently following this but I'm not sure if its the best guide available.

Thanks

Filth

Hey guys I'm in a little need of help. My g/f just bout a new pc from newegg. One of those Burke packages that wasn't to bad. I built it tonight perfectly as I have done numerous times and the led lights on the board turn on but the fans or CPU don't do jack. Ive tried disconnecting everything except the cpu ram ect. Nothing. Same thing no matter what I do. Ive never had a time where I received something doa but I don't wanna make that claim unless I'm 100%. The mb is a gigabyte x58a-ud3r and google turns up a lot of people having the same problem. Any tips :(

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Philooch said:
Hey guys I'm in a little need of help. My g/f just bout a new pc from newegg. One of those Burke packages that wasn't to bad. I built it tonight perfectly as I have done numerous times and the led lights on the board turn on but the fans or CPU don't do jack. Ive tried disconnecting everything except the cpu ram ect. Nothing. Same thing no matter what I do. Ive never had a time where I received something doa but I don't wanna make that claim unless I'm 100%. The mb is a gigabyte x58a-ud3r and google turns up a lot of people having the same problem. Any tips :(
Assemble outside of case with bare minimum (1 stick of RAM too).
Try resetting BIOS/CMOS jumper.

Ryusei

Neo Member
nilbog21 said:
I'm in the same boat. I'm thinking about getting 6870 but I'm gona wait for a 6950 or something like it seeing that it was 180$ on amazon a couple of times in the last few weeks --a

We'll post our new PCs at the same time. We'll do this together.

Back home from work. Razer Black Widow Ultimate is badass. I'm still trying to figure out what all the keys do.

EDIT: GAH! I've been using the Merch Slealth keyboard for years. The standard WASD controls are proving difficult to get into.

Brofist

BloodySinner said:
Back home from work. Razer Black Widow Ultimate is badass. I'm still trying to figure out what all the keys do.

EDIT: GAH! I've been using the Merch Slealth keyboard for years. The standard WASD controls are proving difficult to get into.
I have that kb too, I like it but still can't quite get used to the click click sound.

Ajemsuhgao said:
Just bought a GTX 460 from Newegg for $189.99.

The price has now dropped to $169.99.

FML.

See if they'll price adjust. But that's kinda what you get for buying a GTX 460 for such a high price when faster alternatives are available for less or for slightly more. :\

raphier

Banned
What's the difference between ENGTX460 DC TOP (costs 150€) and ENGTX460 DIRECTCU (costs 166€) I am thinking of buying one of the cards, I just don't know what the deal here.

Wallach

raphier said:
What's the difference between ENGTX460 DC TOP (costs 150€) and ENGTX460 DIRECTCU (costs 166€) I am thinking of buying one of the cards, I just don't know what the deal here.

Usually the TOP is more expensive (TOP indicates that the card comes overclocked from ASUS). However, it's likely that you're comparing the 768MB VRAM TOP to the 1GB non-OC version.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
raphier said:

I think one of them has better cooling. The Direct cu one, could be wrong though.

MedIC86

Izayoi said:
Well the i7's are just dreams to overclock. This is fantastic. The 212+ is fucking great, too. Ice cold temperatures.

Dont forget to run prime to see if it is stable, 4 hours+ is a must really.

koji

Corky said:
I think one of them has better cooling. The Direct cu one, could be wrong though.

This

DirectCU II
Based on ASUS DirectCU architecture, which uses copper heat pipes in direct contact with the GPU to speed up heat dissipation for over 20% cooler performance, DirectCU II takes cooling further with twin 100mm fans for 600% airflow.

It's over 9000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom