• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

demolitio

chaosblade said:
Phenom IIs were quite a bit better than the Phenoms, so it should be a decent upgrade. Bulldozer is right around the corner though, so if possible you may want to wait for that. Depends on how urgently you need a new board.
But aren't they going to be quite expensive?

(._.)

Banned
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO

CPU: Intel i7-2600k

GPU: GTX580 (1536MB) ASUS 3 slot

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series (8GB)

PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold Series 1200W

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF X

CPU Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

Optical: SONY Black 12X BD-R Blu-ray Burner

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F4 (2TB)

SSD: Intel 510 120GB

Sound: Xonar DG ($30)

Ok, so I think this is my final build. Could somebody look over it and call out any obvious errors I may have missed? (parts not working together).

Plan to order in an hour or two once I get some finals thoughts, if any.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
demolitio said:
But aren't they going to be quite expensive?
Yeah, I edited that. Added that part of the reply real quick after I saw your post in the topic review. Like I said, not a bad buy, but not a huge upgrade. It would be noticeable in games where you would be CPU limited. Your 5770 isn't exactly a monster either, that would probably limit you more than a 965 (especially if you OC) in almost any game.

clav

Is the 2600K worth the premium compared to the 2500K? He's going to be doing programming and dual-booting with Linux and Windows. Also, if he doesn't plan on overclocking ever, is it even worth getting the K and and a P motherboard?

Best graphics card? I think he should stay with Nvidia since it works better for Linux. Otherwise, if he was solely on Windows, I would probably suggest an AMD card.

Budget for the whole thing has to be $1000 or a little more.

Building a desktop for a friend.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
claviertekky said:
Is the 2600K worth the premium compared to the 2500K? He's going to be doing programming and dual-booting with Linux and Windows.

Building a desktop for a friend
What exactly is he doing? For gaming and most purposes a 2500k would be more than good enough. 2600k just adds hyperthreading, so it's not worth it unless he's doing something that will take advantage of it.

Edit:

Under $1000 you don't want to go with a 2600k, it's too expensive. And if he's never overclocking, it's not worth getting a k edition or p67 board, so you can save money there to put toward the video card. And the 560 Ti or 570 would be your best bet on the GPU, what you can get will depend on how you budget other components.

clav

chaosblade said:
What exactly is he doing? For gaming and most purposes a 2500k would be more than good enough. 2600k just adds hyperthreading, so it's not worth it unless he's doing something that will take advantage of it.
What about the non-K versions? He doesn't plan on overclocking ever.

claviertekky said:
Is the 2600K worth the premium compared to the 2500K? He's going to be doing programming and dual-booting with Linux and Windows. Also, if he doesn't plan on overclocking ever, is it even worth getting the K and and a P motherboard?

Best graphics card? I think he should stay with Nvidia since it works better for Linux. Otherwise, if he was solely on Windows, I would probably suggest an AMD card.

Budget for the whole thing has to be $1000 or a little more.

Building a desktop for a friend.
From what I read on GAF, no. Only if you are doing a lot of things that are very CPU intensive and can make use of the many threads.

clav

Prophet Steve said:
From what I read on GAF, no. Only if you are doing a lot of things that are very CPU intensive and can make use of the many threads.
He plans to do some gaming, but he's more of a casual gamer. I suspect though he wants at least to run SCII on ultra at 1920x1080.

Aurarian

Izayoi said:
Well that's good to know, thanks! I'm pretty comfortable with where I'm at right now so I don't think I'll push it any higher. Very impressed with how easy these things are to overclock, though. Have had a very pleasant experience, never once had to clear my CMOS.

I'm not an expert on AMDs, but stability issues generally aren't caused by temperatures, but rather a lack of voltage.

What kind of temperatures are you getting at stock speeds?

42C right now, but I get up to 46-47 idle sometimes and playing a game is probably 50+

Forgot to mention I did some Prime 95 testing for about a half an hour. During the tests it went up to 63-65c at the most.

RoboShmup

Banned
My new computer is built and up and running! I've had no problems whatsoever. I guess I got lucky. Thanks for the help everyone. Pictures later, once I have everything set up on my desk.

TheExodu5

Banned
claviertekky said:
He plans to do some gaming, but he's more of a casual gamer. I suspect though he wants at least to run SCII on ultra at 1920x1080.

Any decent Sandy Bridge CPU is recommended for SCII. A dual-core is all that's needed, but a 2500K is certainly recommended if his budget allows for it.

fin

I'm building a PC this fall but there is a one day sale at my local shop:

Zotac NVIDIA GT440 512MB Reg $88.00 Sale $73.50
Palit NVIDIA GTS450 1GB - Reg $128.00 Sale $108.00
EVGA NVIDIA GTX550 1GB - Reg $159.00 Sale $134.00
Zotac NVIDIA GTX550Ti 1GB Reg $168.00 Sale $136.00
Palit NVIDIA GTX560 2GB - Reg $262.00 Sale $219.00
HIS AMD 6950 2GB - Reg $374.00 Sale $322.00
EVGA NVIDIA GTX590 3GB Reg $775.00 Sale $710.00
HIS AMD 6950 2GB - Reg $288.00 Sale $250.00
HIS AMD 6970 2GB - Reg $369.00 Sale $330.00
Visiontek AMD 6970 2GB - Reg $399.00 Sale $355.00
HIS AMD 6990 4GB - Reg $759.00 Sale $690.00

Should I be jumping on any of these? Or should I expect better prices in OCT/NOV?

TheExodu5

Banned
fin said:

Should I be jumping on any of these? Or should I expect better prices in OCT/NOV?

Don't bother. I wouldn't recommend either dual GPU solution. Two GTX 570 or two 6970 are just as good, and will run cooler/quieter. You just need the case space to spare.

Considering your build time, I'm assuming you're likely building this for BF3. Wait until the beta is out so we can gauge performance.

Actually, even with the sales, those prices are fairly underwhelming.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
fin said:

Not sure about the bolded off the top of my head, but none of the other deals are any better than what you could typically get at newegg.

AMD/NVidia should have new GPUs by the end of the year, so you might prefer to wait until then.

fin said:

that's not a deal, they are selling it above MSRP and "discounting" it to MSRP.

fin

OK thanks guys. I'll be holding off. Gotta save money for PAX anyways.

Also I'm from Canada so the MSRPs are higher than the US.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
scy said:
Just to chime in as I have that card and one of the suggested cases (BitFenix Shinobi) ... the card is maybe half an inch too long, if that.

LJL7I.jpg

It's honestly not THAT big of a deal since the case has 9 bays but it's a bit of an annoyance if you plan to go for a Crossfire setup and you have multiple HDDs.
Yeah, a lot of cases have to sack HDD space for the 10.5" or 11" cards.
The GTX 560 Ti is 9.0" I think, so that would be fine. I might add that into the list as another option.
Ether_Snake said:
Sorry but I didn't understand what you said. Fewer is better, so fewer separate sticks? So 3x4GB is better than 6x2GB? Correct. As long as the minimum sticks are met for dual (2) or tri (3) channel. Adding more sticks will not increase your bandwidth and instead put more strain on the motherboard.

BTW a coworker told me to buy two 500GB hard drives, not SSDs, and set them up in RAID0 or some such. What does this mean? No. No amount of increased write speed and read can match an SSD in performance. He wants you to split your data onto 2 drives to boost performance. However RAID utilities and reliability for a person not versed in RAID has no place on the desktop imo.

And I'm having trouble figuring out which MB to get. I'm thinking of this processor, so any idea what MB I should get? There are so many. MSI 65 or ASUS P8P67 PRO
Yami said:
EDIT2: fixed

Screen%20shot%202011-05-28%20at%2020.36.32.png

How's this sound? Trying to keep it around £750 if possible, so might cut the hard drive and optical drive as I still have some spares from some past builds. Any thoughts on the GPU?

I think it's a solid build... just need funds now!

How much is the market going to change in the next 3 months? Are Sandy Bridge CPU's still going to be a viable option? Thx GAF!
Just put in 1.5V DDR3 instead of 1.65V that you have. Looks good.
I'm not a big fan of the contained water coolers though. A CM 212 will cool just as good for cheaper.
Aurarian said:
Anyone? I've looked through it and I'm not sure which one to get. I don't want something really expensive but neither do I want something really cheap. I remember someone telling me Zalman's are good fans but I really don't know much about CPU cooling.
CM Hyper 212+
Zalmans are overpriced, but usually decently quiet and have a nice look. Also they will cut you.
(._.) said:
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO

CPU: Intel i7-2600k

GPU: GTX580 (1536MB) ASUS 3 slot

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series (8GB)

PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold Series 1200W

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF X

CPU Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

Optical: SONY Black 12X BD-R Blu-ray Burner

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F4 (2TB)

SSD: Intel 510 120GB

Sound: Xonar DG ($30)

Ok, so I think this is my final build. Could somebody look over it and call out any obvious errors I may have missed? (parts not working together).

Plan to order in an hour or two once I get some finals thoughts, if any.
Looks good. I think you will be very pleased.

RS4-

claviertekky said:

Just get the K versions anyway, afaik the price difference between a 2500 and a 2500k is what, $10-20?

Yami

Hazaro said:
Just put in 1.5V DDR3 instead of 1.65V that you have. Looks good.
I'm not a big fan of the contained water coolers though. A CM 212 will cool just as good for cheaper.

What's the main difference between the voltage? Not many 1.5VDDR3 sticks on Ebuyer for a decent price, and don't want to risk getting Corsair Vengeance's in case the clearance of the heat spreaders interferes with the cpu heatsink.

Yeah was thinking that, but I've been wanting to try out the H series coolers at some point.

TheExodu5

Banned
fin said:
Also I'm from Canada so the MSRPs are higher than the US.

Actually, with the dollar where it's at now, we often get deals that are much better than the US. NCIX had a pretty good sale last week. The GTX 570, for example, was $280.

If all else fails, NewEgg actually has fair prices that reflect the dollar. Most components were around 5% cheaper here than in the US when our dollar was around $1.05.

The only place we get screwed is the shipping.

TheExodu5

Banned
claviertekky said:

Pay the little bit extra to have the ability to overclock. It's very hard to pass up nearly 50% in additional performance for the cost of the K model and a $30 CPU cooler.

If he absolutely adamantly refuses to ever overclock, then he can get an H67 board along with a regular 2500.

taranatar

Anyone in the UK wanna buy a Geforce 570GTX? I got 2 to SLI but its total overkill and there is a heat issue as the case is too small.

Was looking around £200 if anyone is interested :) Comes with all packaging and 2 year warranty.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
RS4- said:
Just get the K versions anyway, afaik the price difference between a 2500 and a 2500k is what, $10-20?
Well, I was typing out a reply but TheExodu5 beat me to it. The H67 boards are quite a bit cheaper than P67, even if the unlocked CPUs are pretty similar in price. If he's positive he's not overclocking, there's no sense in paying extra for features that won't be used. Could save $40+ to put toward the GPU or something.

What's the main difference between the voltage?
1.65v can cause some problems. Definitely best to get some 1.5v sticks if at all possible.

Izayoi

Banned
Aurarian said:
42C right now, but I get up to 46-47 idle sometimes and playing a game is probably 50+

Forgot to mention I did some Prime 95 testing for about a half an hour. During the tests it went up to 63-65c at the most.
That sounds pretty reasonable, though if you're overclocking you will probably need a better cooler... I don't know much about the newer coolers so you're better off asking the other guys here about that.

---

I BSoD'd after two hours of Prime95 at 1.3v (1.288v effective) and 4.5GHz. Trying 1.31v (1.296v effective) now. My temperatures are rising really quick, though. I might need to dial back my clock by 100MHz if it's going to force me to bump up my voltage again.

YF319.png

demolitio

chaosblade said:
Yeah, I edited that. Added that part of the reply real quick after I saw your post in the topic review. Like I said, not a bad buy, but not a huge upgrade. It would be noticeable in games where you would be CPU limited. Your 5770 isn't exactly a monster either, that would probably limit you more than a 965 (especially if you OC) in almost any game.
Would you suggest waiting until closer to BF3's release in hopes that these new CPU's will be cheaper by then?

I'm just not sure what to do right now. I see some Sandy Bridge ones that aren't too expensive so would you recommend any of those? What CPU and motherboard would you choose for the best bang for your buck if you were me?

CaLe

Izayoi said:
Man, the Vdroop is killer, even with load-leveling enabled...

Anyway, after an hour of Prime95 I'm looking at a max of 69C @ 1.3v (1.288v w/ Vdroop) and 4.5GHz w/ Hyper Threading enabled.

I did some Googling but it seems like temperatures vary pretty widely... I'm not familiar with the Sandy Bridge chips, so does anyone know if this is acceptable or not? I know with my old Core 2 69C would be fine, but this is a 32nm now, which is considerably more fragile than the bulky 65nm chips.

Yeah I also needed 1.3V for 4.5 Ghz; I got a BSOD at 1.5V.

I also seem to be getting about the same temperatures as you :).

Cory_t_

Is 3.85GHz any kind of respectable OC for my AMD Phenom II 965BE? I ran Prime95 for an hour with good results. I'm planning on running it over night tonight just to be sure. I just couldn't seem to get close to 4.0 with any combination of HT or Multiplier.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Cory_t_ said:
Is 3.85GHz any kind of respectable OC for my AMD Phenom II 965BE? I ran Prime95 for an hour with good results. I'm planning on running it over night tonight just to be sure. I just couldn't seem to get close to 4.0 with any combination of HT or Multiplier.
About average unless a newer stepping allows for much better clocks. My 955BE never went over 3.5GHz. :( Terrible luck on that chip. Running a Athlon II 440 at 3.5 right now until I upgrade to SB or Bulldozer later in the year.

Would you suggest waiting until closer to BF3's release in hopes that these new CPU's will be cheaper by then?

I'm just not sure what to do right now. I see some Sandy Bridge ones that aren't too expensive so would you recommend any of those? What CPU and motherboard would you choose for the best bang for your buck if you were me?
They probably won't be much cheaper by then. Some new models might shuffle the pricing, but that's about it.

If you can get a 965 AND a motherboard for $140 you probably aren't going to find a better deal than that. If $150 is your budget and you need a new board because the current one is dying, that might be the only option you have.

CaLe

What application would you guys recommend in order to determine my GPUs' usage ?

I keep saying people in the Witcher 2 thread mention GPU usages, but I have no idea how to check mine.

Salaadin

For the past week, Ive been hearing an odd, random "click" noise coming from my PC. I cant tell where exactly its coming from but it almost sounds like its on the very outside of the case. Could this just be one of the case fans? Any other ideas on what I might want to look at? All my checks are coming up clean.

CaLe said:
What application would you guys recommend in order to determine my GPUs' usage ?

I keep saying people in the Witcher 2 thread mention GPU usages, but I have no idea how to check mine.

MSI Afterburner
http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Cory_t_ said:
Anything above 3.6 I'd say is fine. 3.8 is about what most top out at.
CaLe said:

MSI Afterburner

Salaadin said:
For the past week, Ive been hearing an odd, random "click" noise coming from my PC. I cant tell where exactly its coming from but it almost sounds like its on the very outside of the case. Could this just be one of the case fans? Any other ideas on what I might want to look at? All my checks are coming up clean.

MSI Afterburner
http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm
Open up the case and see if you hear anything.

demolitio

chaosblade said:
If you can get a 965 AND a motherboard for $140 you probably aren't going to find a better deal than that. If $150 is your budget and you need a new board because the current one is dying, that might be the only option you have.

Thanks for the help man. Now I just hope I can sell this Novint Falcon in time to do it. As far as modern games go, I can run all of them very well with the exception of the CPU intensive games like ArmA 2 so it should help there. I just want to be prepared for BF3 since I could run BC2 pretty well but some of the destruction would kill my framerate.

Then whenever I do get SSI and disability, I can replace the rest of the computer. It's been a long fight with them so far so I just hope it happens at this point. Apparently they think every young person is faking to get disability as if no one that's 22 can get these diseases, lol. Another thing that people abuse so it's harder for the people that really need it. :/

Salaadin

Izayoi said:
It's either a dying hard drive or a case fan. Try giving your case a good whack and see if it goes away.

Lol! I think its the top 250mm fan in this Antec 900. I gave it a good whack and habent heard it yet. Hopefully thats all it is. Thanks.

Salaadin said:
I have but I cant quite pinpoint it.

Do you have your OS set to spin down your drives? I find windows 7 does this by default. The clicking noise could be your hard drive spinning back up when you're trying to access it.

Salaadin

TouchMyBox said:
Do you have your OS set to spin down your drives? I find windows 7 does this by default. The clicking noise could be your hard drive spinning back up when you're trying to access it.

I do but this is a different kind of click. Plus, the HDDs are mounted on the bottom of the case and this sound distinctly comes form the top of the case...meaning its either the RAM, CPU, CPU fan, or the top case fan.
I just heard it again and it does sound like the case fan but theres no way to turn that fan off without unplugging it from the PSU. I guess thats the next step.

My HDD makes a click noise and I'm not sure what to do. It began after I installed a SSD (AHCI-enabled) and when it clicks it stops for a second and won't read anything.

Is this related to AHCI or OS spinning down my drives, like TouchMyBox mentioned?

Zimbardo

i'd say Intel Burn Test is the best way to test the stability of your overclock. do about 10 to 15 runs at max memory, and if you're stable, you should be good to go for a nice round of Prime95.

Wallach

DennisK4 said:
The Das, like the other mechanical keyboards people have suggested, don't have programmable Macro keys.

It seems the Razer is my only option for mechanical plus macro keys.

It is. Though I don't really see the point of macro keys to begin with. Plus the Razer only offers MX Blue switches, which are probably the worst gaming switch. I'd spend a little more ($30 or so USD) and get a much better built keyboard with MX Brown/Black/Red switches.

Izayoi

Banned
Wallach said:
It is. Though I don't really see the point of macro keys to begin with. Plus the Razer only offers MX Blue switches, which are probably the worst gaming switch. I'd spend a little more ($30 or so USD) and get a much better built keyboard with MX Brown/Black/Red switches.
What's the difference? Less pressure? Less noise?

clav

Update on the friend computer build. Thanks for all the feedback so far.

Well, he changed his mind again for overclocking, so some new questions:

1. For the ASUS P8P67 boards, should I choose standard or should I get the Pro or Deluxe versions? I know I should avoid the LE version since its VRM is non-existent. He doesn't plan on using SLI, and I don't understand why a practical person would need dual giga-bit ports in the Pro/Deluxe/EVO versions.

2. We're trying to keep the build down to $1000. The GTX 570 is great and all, but it is the most expensive component in the build ($300 AR). Is there something comparable in the Nvidia lineup that is cheaper? No AMD please as this computer is also a Linux box, and Nvidia cards just work better with Linux.

3. What is with the double boot complaints with the ASUS boards lately?

BoobPhysics101 said:
See if they'll price adjust. But that's kinda what you get for buying a GTX 460 for such a high price when faster alternatives are available for less or for slightly more. :\

There's an nvidia card, faster than this particular card, for less than $190? Please show me this. I'll return the one I just bought and get it if you can find one.

TheExodu5

Banned
Zimbardo said:
i'd say Intel Burn Test is the best way to test the stability of your overclock. do about 10 to 15 runs at max memory, and if you're stable, you should be good to go for a nice round of Prime95.

My test suite for OC stability has been as follows for some years now:

(1) 24 hours of Prime95. Yes, 24 hours. If you're not 24 hours Prime stable, you're not REALLY stable!
(2) 24 hours of memtest86+
(3) 4 hours of looping 3DMark, any version you like

Recently I've also added 15 minutes of IntelBurnTest as a quick OC test too. If it survives 15 minutes of IBT I feel reasonably confident about doing the 24 hours of Prime95, reducing wasted time. I also like to use the eVGA OC Scanner's built-in artifact tester for about 15-30 minutes to make sure the videocard isn't having minor artifacting that I can't see with my eyes, because you can still kill a videocard slowly if you let it artifact on you even if you can't see it happening. Uh, you'll need at least one eVGA videocard in your machine for that. Otherwise you're SOL. :3

About Prime95: I set the Priority of Prime95 to 9 when I do the 24 hours run. If you set it to 10, you essentially lose the ability to control Windows since 10 is higher than everything but the kernel. At 9 I can also look at Real Temp or CoreTemp and it will update properly, at 10 both monitoring utilities lock up and won't work.

Yes, I have extremely demanding OC stability testing. However in my experience any machine which passes this suite has never crashed on me, even when running games that make other people's stock-clocked computers crash. I therefore generally regard it as authoritative, I can say with 99.99% accuracy that if your machine can survive my testing suite, your OC is stable for 24/7 everyday continuous use.

Wallach

Izayoi said:
What's the difference? Less pressure? Less noise?

All Cherry switches are different, except for the fact that all of them actuate about halfway down the key travel (~2mm). Blues are fairly light (50g actuation) but they have a very sharp tactile point at actuation, and click like a high-pitched retractable pen. I find that makes double-tapping and especially spamming a single key (depending on what game you're playing) really annoying, especially since the release point of the Blues is actually higher than where the actuation point is, so the key needs to come up around another 1mm higher than the actuation before you can fire the switch again. Very loud keyboard in general.

Red and Black switches are linear. That means there is no tactile point anywhere in the keystroke. The key starts at a low force and simply increases as the key is pressed further. Very smooth, but you obviously do not have a tactile indication of when the switch triggered like you do with the Blues except to see on the screen that it did so. The only difference between Red and Black switches is the force of the spring; Reds are very light switches (45g to actuation) and Blacks are fairly heavy (65g). Quiet aside from the noise of the keys bottoming out when typing.

Brown switches are kind of like Red switches that have a small hump built into the stem. They're very light (also 45g), but like the Blue you get a tactile response around the actuation point. However it's very different than the Blue switch (which has an extra mechanism built over the stem to create the click noise) and kind of just feels like the key has spot of lightly gritty friction about halfway down the key stroke. Pretty subtle and many people claim that they don't really notice it when they are typing quickly (or very hard).

The only other switch really available right now is the MX Clear, which I think only Deck uses in their full-size keyboard. They're essentially a mix of Black and Brown design; heavier springs (60-70g) but with the hump that causes a tactile feeling similar to Brown. It's a bit more pronounced on the Clear stem than it is on the Brown stem. I don't think this switch is going to be seen much outside of Deck and older Cherry brands, as they are not popular switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom