• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldsnap

So what's the best way to backup files to another hard drive? The only thing I care about backing up is my windows and my itunes. I'd just like the most basic windows backup, maybe just the OS system, is that possible? I say this because my backup drive is 500gigs and my itunes takes up like 50% of that and I stream off that drive as well with my WD TV so my movies take up a lot aswell.

side question: Anyone familiar with streaming with WD TV Live? If I switched my streaming files from my Caviar Blue to Caviar Black would I get any faster loading times / straming times? Does drive rpm even matter with streaming or is it all internet speed?

Vyer

Just FYI, if anyone is looking for a blu ray burner for their builds I found that Frys had the LG 12x super multi retail package (with software)for 79.99. Regularly 129.99. Found it in store, tag said sale was good till June 2.

scy

Hazaro said:
After a long wait, I finally updated the budget build.

The Damn Capable Build: $600

Just to chime in as I have that card and one of the suggested cases (BitFenix Shinobi) ... the card is maybe half an inch too long, if that.

LJL7I.jpg

It's honestly not THAT big of a deal since the case has 9 bays but it's a bit of an annoyance if you plan to go for a Crossfire setup and you have multiple HDDs.

raphier

Banned
koji said:
This

It's over 9000.
I just bought the DirectCU one and duh, the temperature is constantly staying 50 celcium and that's idle temp. Loaded is 80C. Unlike reported by others. I think it's my shitty box. fan speed is at 20%

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Coldsnap said:
So what's the best way to backup files to another hard drive? The only thing I care about backing up is my windows and my itunes. I'd just like the most basic windows backup, maybe just the OS system, is that possible? I say this because my backup drive is 500gigs and my itunes takes up like 50% of that and I stream off that drive as well with my WD TV so my movies take up a lot aswell.
I assume the option to include a system image in the Windows backup utility is what you are asking for, regarding an OS backup. Not totally sure though.

You can manually select what to backup and how often with the Windows utility though. Seems decent enough for most users. (This reminds me I need to get my backup drive RMA'd. Ironic that my backup would die.)

BloodySinner where are you? I wanna hear about the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28113264&postcount=18840

The keyboard's build is excellent. It's fairly beefy and it uses a thick braided cable that features two gold plated USB ports, though I am not sure as to why, along with an audio and mic jack. To the right side of the board, there is what I am assuming is a USB 1.0 port with mic-out and audio-in jacks.

Is it normal for Windows to not detect an entire hard drive? It only saw about 1.8 TB of my 2 TB drive. I know the advertised storage space is pretty much always higher than the real, formatted storage space, but that's still a 200GB or so discrepancy...not that it's a big deal or anything, since I doubt I'll be reaching that 1.8 TB cap anytime soon. Just kind of curious.

Also...does it matter which direction your hard drive should be loaded into the case? It seemed to fit in either way, and I couldn't decide which way should be up and which should be down...

You find typing hard?

What did you mean by the WASD keys?
Haha, nah. I was recording a short video to show you some of the features and the amount of sound the keys make when pressed. Don't expect to game while someone is sleeping. Chances are, they'll bludgeon you to death with it.

As for WASD, like I said, I have been using the Merc Stealth for years. It has the most comfortable controls for action/FPS games. It fact, the keypad was designed for them. It's proving pretty difficult for me to adjust to the standard controls. I'll miss it.

15BPF.jpg

TheExodu5

Banned
Wallach said:
Speaking of open box goodies, there is a tri-slot ASUS CUII GTX 570 up on Newegg for $260, which is a pretty sweet deal imo: LINK

I'd probably pick that up myself if I was getting paid today rather than next Friday.

That's a steal.

edit: yep, out of stock.

raphier said:
I just bought the DirectCU one and duh, the temperature is constantly staying 50 celcium and that's idle temp. Loaded is 80C. Unlike reported by others. I think it's my shitty box. fan speed is at 20%

It dumps half of the hot air into the case, so the Asus DirectCu II (as well as others like the Twin Frozr) is a bit reliant on proper case airflow.

Still, that's much better performance than the stock GTX 570, which runs at 85C at 60% fan speed in my HAF X.

Dennis

Banned
BloodySinner said:
Haha, nah. I was recording a short video to show you some of the features and the amount of sound the keys make when pressed. Don't expect to game while someone is sleeping. Chances are, they'll bludgeon you to death with it.

As for WASD, like I said, I have been using the Merc Stealth for years. It has the most comfortable controls for action/FPS games. It fact, the keypad was designed for them. It's proving pretty difficult for me to adjust to the standard controls. I'll miss it.
I don't care if others are bothered by the sound I am more concerned if I will find it distracting but come to think of it my current keyboard isn't exactly silent so I am betting I will get used to this also.

I have never used one of those alternative keyboard thingies. I was worried if the WASD keys were somehow not good on the Razer but that is not the case then.

I don't care if others are bothered by the sound I am more concerned if I will find it distracting but come to think of it my current keyboard isn't exactly silent so I am betting I will get used to this also.

I have never used one of those alternative keyboard thingies. I was worried if the WASD keys were somehow not good on the Razer but that is not the case then.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1eDN93OCVY

My camera sucks. :D

mkenyon

Banned
DennisK4 said:

I have two at home, my wife doesnt complain. I like it so much, I bought one for the office. No one complains there either. It's loud, but a good loud.

I have the keyboard and it is awesome, I feel like I even type faster with it. The clicks aren't annoying to me at all, but yeah good luck playing if someone is sleeping close to you.

kinggroin

Banned
Ok guys. My last two pieces of equipment for sale:

Corsair H50 water cooling (used for two weeks has all original packaging) - $30 shipped

EVO GALAXY 1250w PSU 80+ bronze from Enermax (used for a month)- $100 shipped

If you guys are interested, shoot me a PM. I'm willing to discount if you buy together.

I have the keyboard and it is awesome, I feel like I even type faster with it. The clicks aren't annoying to me at all, but yeah good luck playing if someone is sleeping close to you.
I swear the keyboard DOES make you type faster.

clav

I have a Das Keyboard with the same Cherry MX Blue switches.

Went with Das because I didn't like how on the blackwidow the placements of the macro keys and F1 key. I would most certainly not use the macro keys, and the F1 key would bother me if I were playing Starcraft 2.

Been using it for quite a while now.

I will always buy a mechanical keyboard from now on.

The keyboard is very noisy, but I don't mind it at all. However, you should ask your SO or your ladyfriend about it before purchasing. If it bothers her/him, you should then consider a keyboard with Cherry MX Brown switches.

Dennis

Banned
claviertekky said:
I have a Das Keyboard with the same Cherry MX Blue switches.

Went with Das because I didn't like how on the blackwidow the placements of the macro keys and F1 key. I would most certainly not use the macro keys, and the F1 key would bother me if I were playing Starcraft 2.

Been using it for quite a while now.

I will always buy a mechanical keyboard from now on.

The keyboard is very noisy, but I don't mind it at all. However, you should ask your SO or your ladyfriend about it before purchasing. If it bothers her/him, you should then consider a keyboard with Cherry MX Brown switches.
The Das, like the other mechanical keyboards people have suggested, don't have programmable Macro keys.

It seems the Razer is my only option for mechanical plus macro keys.

Skirn

Hello, GAF. I have a few questions:

• Do I really need heatsinks on the RAM to bring them up to 1600MHz from 1333MHz?
  • Is 8GB RAM recommended to have for gaming with High settings or would 4GB suffice?
  • Will the i5 2500K's stock cooling work for overclocking to, say, 3.7 - 4.0GHz?

I'd also appreciate any kind of input on the build, as I haven't been keeping up with PC stuff since 2006 or so. The parts I plan to buy:

Mobo: ASUS P8P67 PRO
CPU: Intel i5 2500K
RAM: 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance (heatsink)
Graphics: XFX Radeon 6950 2GB
HDD: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
PSU: Corsair TX 750W V2 (80+ Bronze)
Chassis: Fractal Design R3
DVD: Samsung SH-222AB

These parts will cost me 8705 SEK, or 1330 USD, and I don't think I can stretch my budget much further.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Basic Desktop Questions: What is the purpose of PSU besides powering up the components, and will a 600W PSU be sufficient? How is this build, and are the parts I have gathered compatible with each other?
Your Current Specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition

RAM: Kingston 4GB DDR3

MOBO: ASUS M4A87T or ASUS M4A87TD

GFX: ASUS 6790 1GB DC

HDD: Western Digital 1TB

DVD: DVD RW

PSU: 600W PSU.

Budget: 700USD or 4500 RMB Currently in China, but will be back in the U.S
Main Use: Light Gaming, Gaming, general usage (Word, Web, Mail, 1080p playback), and occasional photoshop work.
Monitor Resolution: Undecided, most likely the highest possible
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Portal 2, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, CoD, GTA4, ME2, and etc. Pretty much any games.
Are reusing any parts?: None
When will you build?: As soon as possible
Will you be overclocking?: No

Thanks! :D

TheExodu5

Banned
Skirn said:
[*]Do I really need heatsinks on the RAM to bring them up to 1600MHz from 1333MHz?
[*]Is 8GB RAM recommended to have for gaming with High settings or would 4GB suffice?
[*]Will the i5 2500K's stock cooling work for overclocking to, say, 3.7 - 4.0GHz?
[/LIST]

I'd also appreciate any kind of input on the build, as I haven't been keeping up with PC stuff since 2006 or so. The parts I plan to buy:

Mobo: ASUS P8P67 PRO
CPU: Intel i5 2500K
RAM: 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance (heatsink)
Graphics: XFX Radeon 6950 2GB
HDD: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
PSU: Corsair TX 750W V2 (80+ Bronze)
Chassis: Fractal Design R3
DVD: Samsung SH-222AB

These parts will cost me 8705 SEK, or 1330 USD, and I don't think I can stretch my budget much further.

1) Heatsinks on the ram are unnecessary. Many of us just like them for the looks, but most of the time, the heatsinks don't offer any real benefit and just get in the way of a good CPU cooler.

2) For that level of overclock? Yes. Still, I'd recommend spending $30 on a cheap Cooler Master Hyper 212+. Cooler, quieter, and will allow overclocks to 4.6-5.0GHz.

Everything else looks great to me. Make sure the 6950 you've selected is using a reference build, so that you have the option to unlock the shaders and bring it up near 6970 performance levels.

clav

DennisK4 said:
The Das, like the other mechanical keyboards people have suggested, don't have programmable Macro keys.

It seems the Razer is my only option for mechanical plus macro keys.
I got my Das with no letters. Completely blank keyboard ftw.

Why do you need programmable macro keys?

TheExodu5

Banned
Liquid_015 said:
Basic Desktop Questions: What is the purpose of PSU besides powering up the components, and will a 600W PSU be sufficient? How is this build, and are the parts I have gathered compatible with each other?
Your Current Specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition

RAM: Kingston 4GB DDR3

MOBO: ASUS M4A87T or ASUS M4A87TD

GFX: ASUS 6790 1GB DC

HDD: Western Digital 1TB

DVD: DVD RW

PSU: 600W PSU.

Budget: 700USD or 4500 RMB Currently in China, but will be back in the U.S
Main Use: Light Gaming, Gaming, general usage (Word, Web, Mail, 1080p playback), and occasional photoshop work.
Monitor Resolution: Undecided, most likely the highest possible
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Portal 2, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, CoD, GTA4, ME2, and etc. Pretty much any games.
Are reusing any parts?: None
When will you build?: As soon as possible
Will you be overclocking?: No

Thanks! :D

Looks good, though you're still missing a case. Also, I'd recommend something a little better than the 6790 if you can...it's not a terribly good buy for the money. GTX 460 768mb is a better buy...or go up to the 6950 if you can stay within budget. Take a look at Hazaro's DAMN CAPABLE builds.

0FIW7.png

Skirn

TheExodu5 said:
1) Heatsinks on the ram are unnecessary. Many of us just like them for the looks, but most of the time, the heatsinks don't offer any real benefit and just get in the way of a good CPU cooler.

2) For that level of overclock? Yes. Still, I'd recommend spending $30 on a cheap Cooler Master Hyper 212+. Cooler, quieter, and will allow overclocks to 4.6-5.0GHz.

Everything else looks great to me. Make sure the 6950 you've selected is using a reference build, so that you have the option to unlock the shaders and bring it up near 6970 performance levels.

Thanks for the tip, man. I had no clue that you could turn a 6950 into a 6970. Also, looking at Hazaro's builds, I just noticed how much expensive it is to buy parts here in Sweden compared to USA - holy shit.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
TheExodu5 said:
Looks good, though you're still missing a case. Also, I'd recommend something a little better than the 6790 if you can...it's not a terribly good buy for the money. GTX 460 768mb is a better buy...or go up to the 6950 if you can stay within budget. Take a look at Hazaro's DAMN CAPABLE builds.

Thanks Exodus!

On another note, do you think the build that the salesmen recommended is a "cost maximizing build"? I mean I am trying to stay within the 700 and below mark. In other words, am I getting the "bang for the buck", because I feel like I am being "ripped off" by the salesmen.

In addition, if I have a higher PSU unit will that effect my components? I would assume that the more Watts you have is better? This is actually my first time building, and I am currently located in China for another few months.

Thanks!

TheExodu5

Banned
Liquid_015 said:
Thanks Exodus!

On another note, do you think the build that the salesmen recommended is a "cost maximizing build"? I mean I am trying to stay within the 700 and below mark. In other words, am I getting the "bang for the buck", because I feel like I am being "ripped off" by the salesmen.

In addition, if I have a higher PSU unit will that effect my components? I would assume that the more Watts you have is better? This is actually my first time building, and I am currently located in China for another few months.

Thanks!

The parts recommended are pretty good overall. The only questionable one is the 6790, since the cheaper GTX 460 768mb outperforms it. If you can spare a bit more cash though, it's hard not to recommend going up to the 6950 if you can...that will increase your graphical performance by around 80%...a pretty significant increase for ~$100 more.

Aurarian

Can somebody here point me to some good CPU cooling that is on TigerDirect? I'm not able to buy online at the moment and have a store close by. I have an AM3 X4 630 that can't go anymore than .07 ghz over stock without causing stability issues.

Fans

BTW, how do I know it will fit? This is my case.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
TheExodu5 said:
The parts recommended are pretty good overall. The only questionable one is the 6790, since the cheaper GTX 460 768mb outperforms it. If you can spare a bit more cash though, it's hard not to recommend going up to the 6950 if you can...that will increase your graphical performance by around 80%...a pretty significant increase for ~$100 more.

I see, I will definitely look into a GTX 460 in comparison to the 6790. Once again, thanks a lot!

Izayoi

Banned
Hm... Is it unusual to need 1.3v in order to get stable @ 4.5GHz with an i7?

K071e.png

I wonder if it's my memory causing problems. It was running at rated speed when I checked, but the timings were slower than rated (9-9-9-28) so I bumped them up to what they were rated for (8-8-8-24). Kept voltage at 1.5v, though.

1.3v just feels like a lot when people are getting 4.8GHz on 1.35v.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Hazaro said:
You linked an i7 960 or something.
Sandy Bridge is much better, go with what I listed.

Difference is the load placed on the motherboard chipset is greater to run and power and manage 3 sticks vs 6 sticks. Fewer is better. Less to go wrong too.

Sorry but I didn't understand what you said. Fewer is better, so fewer separate sticks? So 3x4GB is better than 6x2GB?

BTW a coworker told me to buy two 500GB hard drives, not SSDs, and set them up in RAID0 or some such. What does this mean?

And I'm having trouble figuring out which MB to get. I'm thinking of this processor, so any idea what MB I should get? There are so many.

snack

What is a pretty good i5 2500k build?

I'll be re-using my CMPSU-750TX PSU and F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM (2Gx2) ram. Oh, and I'll be reusing my 922 case. Is the ram re-usable for the 2500k? Was never too good with the compatibility of ram sticks.

I guess the only things I'll need to get are a new mobo, gfx card and that is pretty much it? I'm trying to prepare for when BF3 hits. Right now I am using a X4 955 and a 5770 and I just don't see myself having decent fps when playing the new Battlefield 3. I also plan to do some overclocking but nothing too serious. Thanks!

Yami

EDIT2: fixed

Screen%20shot%202011-05-28%20at%2020.36.32.png

How's this sound? Trying to keep it around £750 if possible, so might cut the hard drive and optical drive as I still have some spares from some past builds. Any thoughts on the GPU?

I think it's a solid build... just need funds now!

How much is the market going to change in the next 3 months? Are Sandy Bridge CPU's still going to be a viable option? Thx GAF!

TheExodu5

Banned
snack said:
What is a pretty good i5 2500k build?

I'll be re-using my CMPSU-750TX PSU and F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM (2Gx2) ram. Oh, and I'll be reusing my 922 case. Is the ram re-usable for the 2500k? Was never too good with the compatibility of ram sticks.

I guess the only things I'll need to get are a new mobo, gfx card and that is pretty much it? I'm trying to prepare for when BF3 hits. Right now I am using a X4 955 and a 5770 and I just don't see myself having decent fps when playing the new Battlefield 3. I also plan to do some overclocking but nothing too serious. Thanks!

Yep, those are reusable. The build is going to depend on your budget. You'll probably be wanting a 6950 at least, or anywhere up to a GTX 580 if your budget allows.

At least you'll be seeing the use in getting a good case and power supply now. It's going to make new builds and upgrades significantly cheaper. :)

snack

TheExodu5 said:
Yep, those are reusable. The build is going to depend on your budget. You'll probably be wanting a 6950 at least, or anywhere up to a GTX 580 if your budget allows.

At least you'll be seeing the use in getting a good case and power supply now. It's going to make new builds and upgrades significantly cheaper. :)
My budget is ~$600.

Yeah. Good thing I shelled out a bit more money in my previous build. I definitely see it being handy now. haha

knitoe

Izayoi said:
Hm... Is it unusual to need 1.3v in order to get stable @ 4.5GHz with an i7?

I wonder if it's my memory causing problems. It was running at rated speed when I checked, but the timings were slower than rated (9-9-9-28) so I bumped them up to what they were rated for (8-8-8-24). Kept voltage at 1.5v, though.

1.3v just feels like a lot when people are getting 4.8GHz on 1.35v.
Depends if you are lucky / unlucky. Some chips could use less or some more. Have you tried running at lower voltage?

TheExodu5

Banned
snack said:
My budget is ~$600.

Yeah. Good thing I shelled out a bit more money in my previous build. I definitely see it being handy now. haha

CPU: i5 2500K - $225
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...A=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=2500k&x=0&y=0

Motherboard: MSI P67A-C43 - $115
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...571&cm_re=MSI_P67A-C43-_-13-130-571-_-Product
($89 Open Box, also available)

GPU: MSI 6950 - $248 after rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4127555&cm_re=6950_2gb-_-14-127-555-_-Product

I put in that specific GPU because it's the last one I can find on NewEgg that has the reference design, with unlockable shaders.

I went with a cheaper motherboard, as opposed to the usually recommended Asus P8P67, to allow for a better GPU.

Izayoi

Banned
Man, the Vdroop is killer, even with load-leveling enabled...

Anyway, after an hour of Prime95 I'm looking at a max of 69C @ 1.3v (1.288v w/ Vdroop) and 4.5GHz w/ Hyper Threading enabled.

I did some Googling but it seems like temperatures vary pretty widely... I'm not familiar with the Sandy Bridge chips, so does anyone know if this is acceptable or not? I know with my old Core 2 69C would be fine, but this is a 32nm now, which is considerably more fragile than the bulky 65nm chips.

TheExodu5

Banned
Izayoi said:
Man, the Vdroop is killer, even with load-leveling enabled...

Anyway, after an hour of Prime95 I'm looking at a max of 69C @ 1.3v (1.288v w/ Vdroop) and 4.5GHz w/ Hyper Threading enabled.

I did some Googling but it seems like temperatures vary pretty widely... I'm not familiar with the Sandy Bridge chips, so does anyone know if this is acceptable or not? I know with my old Core 2 69C would be fine, but this is a 32nm now, which is considerably more fragile than the bulky 65nm chips.

Yeah, that's fine. Pretty good voltage, actually. Mine requires closer to 1.33V (after vdroop) at 4.6GHz. It's all luck of the draw.

snack

TheExodu5 said:
CPU: i5 2500K - $225
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...A=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=2500k&x=0&y=0

Motherboard: MSI P67A-C43 - $115
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...571&cm_re=MSI_P67A-C43-_-13-130-571-_-Product
($89 Open Box, also available)

GPU: MSI 6950 - $248 after rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4127555&cm_re=6950_2gb-_-14-127-555-_-Product

I put in that specific GPU because it's the last one I can find on NewEgg that has the reference design, with unlockable shaders.

I went with a cheaper motherboard, as opposed to the usually recommended Asus P8P67, to allow for a better GPU.
Sweet. Thanks for the help! :)

Aurarian

Aurarian said:
Can somebody here point me to some good CPU cooling that is on TigerDirect? I'm not able to buy online at the moment and have a store close by. I have an AM3 X4 630 that can't go anymore than .07 ghz over stock without causing stability issues.

Fans

BTW, how do I know it will fit? This is my case.

Anyone? I've looked through it and I'm not sure which one to get. I don't want something really expensive but neither do I want something really cheap. I remember someone telling me Zalman's are good fans but I really don't know much about CPU cooling.

Izayoi

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Yeah, that's fine. Pretty good voltage, actually. Mine requires closer to 1.33V (after vdroop) at 4.6GHz. It's all luck of the draw.
Well that's good to know, thanks! I'm pretty comfortable with where I'm at right now so I don't think I'll push it any higher. Very impressed with how easy these things are to overclock, though. Have had a very pleasant experience, never once had to clear my CMOS.

Aurarian said:
Anyone? I've looked through it and I'm not sure which one to get. I don't want something really expensive but neither do I want something really cheap. I remember someone telling me Zalman's are good fans but I really don't know much about CPU cooling.
I'm not an expert on AMDs, but stability issues generally aren't caused by temperatures, but rather a lack of voltage.

What kind of temperatures are you getting at stock speeds?

demolitio

Question time!

I have a decent gaming PC right now with an AMD Phenom 9850 Black Edition quad-core but it's barely overclocked at like 2.6GHz. My motherboard has been dying so I was going to get a new one through a combo deal and get the Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition at 3.4 GHz. Is that a worthy upgrade and will I notice a difference in games like ArmA 2?

I have a 5770 GPU that's slightly overclocked so I was wondering if that CPU change would make a difference in some of the new games and games to come in the future. I can get it for $139.99 for the CPU and the motherboard which is nice since I have pretty much no money. Should I bite on it? I'd wait til' the new CPU's but I really doubt I'll have the money for them unless they're 1000x better than the current CPUs.

Thanks. I'm basically wondering if a cheap upgrade is worth it since I have no income coming in and don't have much in my bank due to medical costs, but I'm selling something for $150 which would give me enough to upgrade it for BF3. There's got to be some money for entertainment. :p

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Ether_Snake said:
Sorry but I didn't understand what you said. Fewer is better, so fewer separate sticks? So 3x4GB is better than 6x2GB?

BTW a coworker told me to buy two 500GB hard drives, not SSDs, and set them up in RAID0 or some such. What does this mean?

And I'm having trouble figuring out which MB to get. I'm thinking of this processor, so any idea what MB I should get? There are so many.
SSD is faster than RAID, I'm not sure what your coworker is talking about. For the cost of a couple of decent HDDs you're entering cheaper SSD territory anyway.

You want fewer RAM sticks, issues are less likely to pop up and it's easier on the hardware. It's really not that big of a deal to use more sticks though, but you should use less if possible. And you should be looking at dual channel kits (2x4GB) and not triple channel.

Not sure I can help with the board, but I've seen this one recommended a couple of times.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157229

There are cheaper boards, if you don't need all the features that one offers.

I have a decent gaming PC right now with an AMD Phenom 9850 Black Edition quad-core but it's barely overclocked at like 2.6GHz. My motherboard has been dying so I was going to get a new one through a combo deal and get the Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition at 3.4 GHz. Is that a worthy upgrade and will I notice a difference in games like ArmA 2?
Phenom IIs were quite a bit better than the Phenoms, so it should be a decent upgrade. I'm curious where you would get a 965 + motherboard combo for $140, Microcenter? Because that's about the price of the CPU alone. Not a bad upgrade if that's all you can afford, but it's not going to be nearly as significantly as going to Sandy Bridge or Bulldozer would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom