• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
So my parents need a new computer, and me and my brother figured hey lets build them one for my dads birthday.

Just wanting to get some advice on parts. All they need it for is web browsing, basic word processing, and some arts and crafts stuff my mom does (nothing like photoshop though).

Their current computer is an old Dell from 2004, and with its age and years of crap on it, its time is done. It had a 3 Ghz Pentium 4, 1 GB of ram, and an old 128 MB dedicated graphics card

For a new computer we're hoping (as they are paying for it) to do this cheaply. $200-$250. Just a real basic computer. An integrated card will be fine, though a faster cpu and more ram would be great. They already have keyboard and monitor to use, and I'll be getting them Windows 7 for free through my college.

Only things that are absolutely required are an Intel CPU (Dad worked for them and has stock in them so hes picky) and a DVD drive.

Solo

Ordered!

wcbzbq.jpg

Yes, I'm a lazy plebe who lets NCIX do the building for him :D

Emitan

I ordered the new i7 with a new mobo and RAM but what do I do with the old stuff? I suppose I could buy some more screws and mount the old mobo on this empty case I have lying around and turn it into a server eventually, but what do you guys do? I can't just throw this stuff away.

Do you think this Zalman power supply could safely power a 5750? It should have more than enough wattage and amps, but I'm more concerned with its reliability. Are Zalman power supplies know to be prone to failure?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...a-_-na&AID=10440897&PID=3332167&SID=u00000687
I'll probably only use it for a few weeks while my other power supply is being replaced by OCZ. When the OCZ power supply comes back, the Zalman would be used in an even less powerful system with only an IGP.

Emitan

ColonelColon said:
Do you think this Zalman power supply could safely power a 5750? It should have more than enough wattage and amps, but I'm more concerned with its reliability. Are Zalman power supplies know to be prone to failure?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...a-_-na&AID=10440897&PID=3332167&SID=u00000687
I'll probably only use it for a few weeks while my other power supply is being replaced by OCZ. When the OCZ power supply comes back, the Zalman would be used in an even less powerful system with only an IGP.
Wattage is fine, but I have no idea about the reliability.

Solo said:
Ordered!

http://i53.tinypic.com/wcbzbq.jpg

Hey did you notice that the TX650 and HX650 I linked are the same price after rebate?

TX650 - 80+ rated efficiency
HX650 - 80+ Bronze rated efficiency

TX650 - wired
HX650 - modular

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=26414&vpn=CMPSU-650TX&manufacture=Corsair
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=42532&vpn=CMPSU-650HX&manufacture=Corsair&promoid=1276

ColonelColon said:
It can power it easily.
I can't attest to the quality, but the OEM that made that Zalman also makes some of OCZ's PSUs.

n0n44m

just came back from vacation, seems like the 2600k is on a 2+ week backorder everywhere in .nl and .de :mad:

anyone in the UK who can recommend a shop? overclockers.co.uk has them in stock for ~330 euros which seems 30 euros more than most Dutch shops

Solo

Solo said:
Too late, already ordered... I don't know jack about PSUs... is bronze rated efficiency a big deal?
Higher efficiency and just a better PSU overall. The HX series normally cost more than the TX series because of that, so when they are similarly priced, the TX no longer has the benefit of being the less expensive option. You could try giving them a call to have your order modified since it's likely to still only be in a cue anyway.

Emitan

Billychu said:
I ordered the new i7 with a new mobo and RAM but what do I do with the old stuff? I suppose I could buy some more screws and mount the old mobo on this empty case I have lying around and turn it into a server eventually, but what do you guys do? I can't just throw this stuff away.
Seriously guys, a little help with this? What do I do with my old parts?

Varna

So I found myself with a little extra cash and was wondering.... What video card would give me a decent boost over my 460GTX SC? Looking specifically at Nvidia offerings.

Esperado

Solo said:
Ordered!

wcbzbq.jpg

Damn, $50 is actually really cheap. It wouldn't surprise me if that ended up being a net loss if you didn't take into account the profits from the components.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Billychu said:
Some stuff I keep as backup, some stuff I donate to charity if it is still usable but well passed its prime ie PCI non express cards. Some stuff I chuck - AGP cards, old DVD drives.

Emitan

Krauser Kat said:
YOu can make an HTPC, a File Server, any friends with a pc less competent then the one you have to give away?
Hmmm, my family does want to take advantage of my Netflix account and I don't want them moving my PS3 around. I guess a dualboot of Windows for Netflix and Linux for a media center would work.

Solo

Esperado said:
Damn, $50 is actually really cheap. It wouldn't surprise me if that ended up being a net loss if you didn't take into account the profits from the components.

They do a really nice job, too. Ive had NCIX build my last 2 PCs and the worksmanship has been excellent. Now its a no brainer for me and I always get them to assemble it.

TheKurgan

Solo said:
They do a really nice job, too. Ive had NCIX build my last 2 PCs and the worksmanship has been excellent. Now its a no brainer for me and I always get them to assemble it.

Nice system Solo, I want pictures when you get it! :D Interested in how NCIX does cable management on a $50 build fee.

jiien

Krauser Kat said:
anybody see some setting for OCing the 2500k yet ( and even asus bios pics?) im have been seeing. 4.75 4.8ghz at around 1.4125vcore

Some reading around the internet has suggested that over 1.4vcore is extremely dangerous. It's still early in the game though. I'm letting the guys on the Anandtech forums play with it first before I do anything.

coopolon

Varna said:
So I found myself with a little extra cash and was wondering.... What video card would give me a decent boost over my 460GTX SC? Looking specifically at Nvidia offerings.

It really all depends on what you consider a decent boost. I'm sure other people could respond with lots of benchmarks, but one page I like to keep bookmarked is Tom's Hardware GPU Heirarchy, where they rank the various current released GPUs on a hierarchy.

The author recommends you only ever upgrade when you are going at least three tiers up to avoid essentially lateral upgrades, but that's just a rule of thumb, and if you really want those extra three frames or whatever it's up to you. Obviously there is some degree of arbitrariness and wiggle room, but if you don't want to look up benchmarks then I think it's a good start.

What resolution are you playing at? What games are not getting satisfactory performance in with your 460?

Wazzim

Banned
jiien said:
Some reading around the internet has suggested that over 1.4vcore is extremely dangerous. It's still early in the game though. I'm letting the guys on the Anandtech forums play with it first before I do anything.
I've seen a review saying 4,5ghz is the save spot, savest is just to go with the overclocking option given with the Asus mobos.

In the middle of a new build (my first for myself since 2003!), wanted some case advice!

So far I've got an i7 2600K and a GTX 570. My case requirements are as follows, in order of importance:

1. Sound proofing / isolation
2. Great airflow
3. Tool-less (as much as possible)
4. Roomy

My current case is a Coolermaster Praetorian; it has served me well but it is EXTREMELY loud. I want something I can't hear fan noise through.

Any thoughts, PC-GAF? Don't worry about pricing, I'm willing to spend what it takes.

Erudite

Esperado said:
Even cheaper if you just want them to assemble and test it, and install the OS yourself. Pretty sure all they charged me was $25 for that.

Emitan

Wazzim said:
I've seen a review saying 4,5ghz is the save spot, savest is just to go with the overclocking option given with the Asus mobos.
Same. I've heard 4.5 GHz works great. But I'm not OCing until some more adventurous people than I test the waters.

TheExodu5

Banned
Solo said:
You mind taking a picture of the interior when you get it? I'm curious.

TheExodu5

Banned
metsallica said:
In the middle of a new build (my first for myself since 2003!), wanted some case advice!

So far I've got an i7 2600K and a GTX 570. My case requirements are as follows, in order of importance:

1. Sound proofing / isolation
2. Great airflow
3. Tool-less (as much as possible)
4. Roomy

My current case is a Coolermaster Praetorian; it has served me well but it is EXTREMELY loud. I want something I can't hear fan noise through.

Any thoughts, PC-GAF? Don't worry about pricing, I'm willing to spend what it takes.
Maybe a Fractal Define R3. Keep in mind though, that even loud cases can be made quiet with proper fan control.

My HAF X is extremely quiet with fans at low speeds.

TheExodu5

Banned
Varna said:
The only option is a GTX 570. That will run you $350, and give you roughly a 50% boost in performance.

jiien

Billychu said:
Same. I've heard 4.5 GHz works great. But I'm not OCing until some more adventurous people than I test the waters.

Same, that's what I'll do. I also want to mess around with this UEFI thing with the ASUS board, so maybe I will let it do the overclock for me, if it looks reasonable.

Some numbers from the AT forums (these are just reported, no one is throwing up screen caps or anything):

4.2 stable at 1.272vcore
4.5 at 1.3vcore
4.6 at 1.34vcore

Looks good to me.

Emitan

Zerokku said:
So can anyone help with my post at the top of the page?

:p
I was going to recommend just buying a prebuilt system from Dell or something so I decided to check their site first. Holy crap do those guys overcharge. You could build a pretty powerful gaming rig for the price they charge for a shitty desktop.

jiien

Zerokku said:
So can anyone help with my post at the top of the page?

:p

I'm just going to guess, as I'm sure people here will know better than me, but for 200ish dollars, you're looking at building another computer of the roughly the same specs, not really an upgrade. Can you determine which parts of it are dying/dead? You might be better off replacing specific parts, rather than building a whole new computer.

Hm, just looking at Newegg, a dual core 3.0 GHz and motherboard combo is already half of your budget. And looking at prebuilt, the only thing nearly that low are Atom-like machines. :T Maybe someone else can chip in.

Emitan

jiien said:
I'm just going to guess, as I'm sure people here will know better than me, but for 200ish dollars, you're looking at building another computer of the roughly the same specs, not really an upgrade. Can you determine which parts of it are dying/dead? You might be better off replacing specific parts, rather than building a whole new computer.

Hm, just looking at Newegg, a dual core 3.0 GHz and motherboard combo is already half of your budget. And looking at prebuilt, the only thing nearly that low are Atom-like machines. :T Maybe someone else can chip in.
This would be a lot easier with a $400 budget.

fatty

The_Squirrel_Menace said:
Any gaming laptops spotted with SB yet?

This is also what I'm wondering. I have a cheapy Acer Aspire 5315 I got about 3 years ago that will overheat and shutoff from playing the original Fallout. Even heats to about 95C just watching youtube videos. So finding a decent laptop that runs relatively cool is my next goal.

Emitan

fatty said:
This is also what I'm wondering. I have a cheapy Acer Aspire 5315 I got about 3 years ago that will overheat and shutoff from playing the original Fallout. Even heats to about 95C just watching youtube videos. So finding a decent laptop that runs relatively cool is my next goal.
It overheats playing the original Fallout? And it's 3 years old? If you paid more than $50 for that you were ripped off. That has to be a hardware problem.

fatty

Billychu said:
It overheats playing the original Fallout? And it's 3 years old? If you paid more than $50 for that you were ripped off. That has to be a hardware problem.

I've lived with it for a while because I never used it for gaming but web browsing but lately I've been doing some research and it seems like it has to do with the Bios and ePower Management Utility controlling the fan. I updated the Bios but still have some of the problems and I'm still looking into it. Very frustrating though.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081215113637AAvAvlk
http://www.dcs-media.com/Archive/problem-solved-acer-aspire-shutting-down-NS

Emitan

fatty said:
I've lived with it for a while because I never used it for gaming but web browsing but lately I've been doing some research and it seems like it has to do with the Bios and ePower Management Utility controlling the fan. I updated the Bios but still have some of the problems and I'm still looking into it. Very frustrating though.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081215113637AAvAvlk
http://www.dcs-media.com/Archive/problem-solved-acer-aspire-shutting-down-NS
Wow, Vista. You never cease to amaze me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom