• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shambles

jiien said:
I'm just going to guess, as I'm sure people here will know better than me, but for 200ish dollars, you're looking at building another computer of the roughly the same specs, not really an upgrade. Can you determine which parts of it are dying/dead? You might be better off replacing specific parts, rather than building a whole new computer.

Hm, just looking at Newegg, a dual core 3.0 GHz and motherboard combo is already half of your budget. And looking at prebuilt, the only thing nearly that low are Atom-like machines. :T Maybe someone else can chip in.

There's more to CPU power than just cores and clock speeds. Even a budget Athlon II X2 will be much faster than a P4. He really needs to either increase his budget or reclaim more parts from the old machine. If he can reuse his case and PSU at least that will help. You can do CPU/MB/Memory for 200-250 but Intel really is not the way to go at that price point. You'll come out a lot better if you can convince him to go AMD.

Ended up pulling the trigger on my rig.

Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Case
GIGABYTE GV-R685D5-1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit
CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Power Supply
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner
Asus VE228H 21.5" Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD Monitor w/Speakers

Should arrive in like 4 or 5 shipments :lol ... :(

Will go along with my i5 2500k and P8P67. I'll probably come back here with questions about how to assemble it cause I'm hella nervous.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
My motherboard has 6 SATA ports. They're all full. My physical case is pretty near full as well. What's my best angle for hooking up more SATA devices? I was thinking I could get some sort of SATA expansion board, but I'm out of chassis slots for drives. I could do a PCI-E fibre-channel card and that's got the data throughput to run some external SATA chassis at >USB3 speed, but the cost for a 4Gbps fibre cable is insane.

I guess I really should start looking at a dedicated NAS box. *sigh*

sam27368

Banned
PjotrStroganov said:
Looks nice!

I'd remove the HDD cradles for a better airflow though. Not only the plastic sliders but also the steel parts. I did the same with my CM690II. It of course isn't an option if you want to definitely want to use them for your hdd instead of the upper bays;)

And it looks like your PSU is upside down. Don't you have an air vent at the bottom of the case? Turning it around could mean better airflow inside the case and less heating up of the PSU.

I'd also try to run the wires to the motherboard along the back of the case. The holes are meant for it so why not use them.

I've looked over the manual and case manual a few times for this reason as I thought it was the wrong way up but apparently it's right!

Most of the wires are run through the back but the main ATX leads and the such are to short when ran through

TheExodu5 said:
Looks good. Heads up: the HAF X came with an 8 pin extension, so you can pass that 8 pin in behind the motherboard tray.
Oh really? I need to hook that up then!

TheKurgan said:
Awesome set up sam27368

How do you like your Samsung P2450H? I am looking at a 24" gaming monitor.
Absolutely fantastic! Can't fault it and it's priced very nicely as well.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Kinda surprising. But their RAM really went down in quality in the last couple of years, I feel like. They used to be great, though!

TheExodu5 said:
Maybe a Fractal Define R3. Keep in mind though, that even loud cases can be made quiet with proper fan control.

My HAF X is extremely quiet with fans at low speeds.
Very true, and definitely noted. That Fractal case is right up my alley, though, wow! Thanks! They're only available through NCIX?

Anyone else have case recommendations?

Chacranajxy said:
Kinda surprising. But their RAM really went down in quality in the last couple of years, I feel like. They used to be great, though!

Yeah, I haven't used their ram since the ddr2-800 days. Sad to see them leave though.

Durante

Stumpokapow said:
I guess I really should start looking at a dedicated NAS box. *sigh*
If you do, build your own and use http://freenas.org/ or something like that. When I had this issue a few years back none of the pre-built (consumer) options came close in potential storage space and performance, and it doesn't seem like much has changed since.

I've been using a Freenas box for 4 years now, upgrading from 2 TB to currently 4TB. And I can still easily add more drives.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Oh dear, I managed to install my heatsink fans and the case fans I added the wrong way, so my system is probably running much hotter than it should be. Seems my MB OC'd the 2500k to 4.3GHz with me just hitting the performance setting in the BIOS. I'll probably just leave it like this until I sort out the fans.

Think it might take some time getting used to this mechanical keyboard, a lot louder than I was expecting.

Shambles

For 235$ from newegg an AMD build will get you:

ASUS M4A88T-M/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX640WFGMBOX
G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-4GBNS

For 265$ an Intel build will get you:

Intel Core i3-540 Clarkdale 3.06GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80616I3540
GIGABYTE GA-H55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-4GBNS

The AMD build gives you a quad core vs Intels dual core + hyperthreading. For applications that only use one or two cores the i3 will be faster, anything making use of 3/4 cores the Athlon will outclass. The integrated video on the AMD chipset is faster giving you flawless 1080P flash playback. Testing my i3 mobile part 1080P flash playback was great but not quite perfect you could see some stuttering on panning shots, probably not even something your parents would notice. CPU usage was around 30%. Perhaps there is someone out there with an i3 540 that can test that for us. Both motherboards listed have USB 3.0 but not SATA3.

Durante said:
If you do, build your own and use http://freenas.org/ or something like that. When I had this issue a few years back none of the pre-built (consumer) options came close in potential storage space and performance, and it doesn't seem like much has changed since.

I've been using a Freenas box for 4 years now, upgrading from 2 TB to currently 4TB. And I can still easily add more drives.

I am also using FreeNAS on an old Pentium 4 box and it's worked great for me.

Animal

Banned
Hey Guys.

I bought a custom built PC from NCIX in November '09. Here are the specs and price paid:

SyZBh.png

QYBEH.png

IMG_1025.jpg

I want to sell it now and I'm wondering how much you guys think its worth? I have all the original boxes and bills.

The price includes a copy of Windows 7 which I won't be selling.

Thanks.

grkazan12

Quick question on the Asus DVD drive in the pre configured builds in the OP. Well I saw that it's connected with SATA and I was wondering if it should be connected to the 6gb/s or the 3gb/s SATA ports on the P8P67 Pro mobo???

Emitan

grkazan12 said:
Quick question on the Asus DVD drive in the pre configured builds in the OP. Well I saw that it's connected with SATA and I was wondering if it should be connected to the 6gb/s or the 3gb/s SATA ports on the P8P67 Pro mobo???
Someone correct me but I think it should be the 3gb/s SATA because the speed is being limited by the speed of the disk drive's reader, not the SATA connection.

JoeBoy101

grkazan12 said:

Check to see if it supports 6gb in its specs. I'm guessing it probably doesn't, and you should save those ports for your HDD's and SSD's, but that's just my guess.

sam27368

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
2500k arrived...motherboard is somewhere not here due to the piece of piss snowstorm that hit the south.

I know the feeling, everything BUT the mobo was delivered with mine. With a horrible 2 day wait for it to arrive.

JohngPR

Anyone needing Windows Home Premium? I'm looking to get sell a Brand new sealed copy Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit 1 pack OEM for system builders.

It turned out that I didn't need it so I'm looking to sell it. I can provide pics if needed. Just looking to help out a fellow gaffer (and myself to an extent lol), I'll sell it for less than what I payed for it.

Seeing as this is a PC building thread, I thought it might be useful to someone out there. :)

JohngPR said:
Anyone needing Windows Home Premium? I'm looking to get sell a Brand new sealed copy Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit 1 pack OEM for system builders.

It turned out that I didn't need it so I'm looking to sell it. I can provide pics if needed. Just looking to help out a fellow gaffer (and myself to an extent lol), I'll sell it for less than what I payed for it.

Seeing as this is a PC building thread, I thought it might be useful to someone out there. :)

I might be in the market if I can't get a new key for my OEM win7 when I upgrade my system this weekend.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Does anyone now if it's normal for the temps to change so often with RealTemp on a 2500k, mine are jumping around quite a bit and not sure if it's normal or an issue with the sensors.

Some info for the masses

Sandybridge maximum safe voltages

Core Voltage - Not recommended too exceed 1.38v, doing so could kill the CPU, we therefor recommend a range of 1.325-1.350v if overclocking.
Memory Voltage - Intel recommend 1.50v plus/minus 5% which means upto 1.58v is the safe recommended limit. In our testing we have found 1.65v has caused no issues.
BCLK Base Clock - This is strictly a NO, anyone using base clock overclocking could/will cause damange to CPU/Mainboard. (Set manually to 100)
PLL Voltage - Do not exceed 1.9v!!

Processor - Basically we recommend customers not to exceed 1.35v to play it safe, all our bundles are set at 1.3250v or lower, any competitors offering bundles above 4.6GHz you should be enquiring as to what voltage they are using as we believe anything over 1.38v will limit CPU lifespan and anything over 1.42v will likely kill the CPU or severely limit its lifespan.

Memory - Intel recommend 1.50v plus/minus 5% which means 1.60v is the ideal safe maximum, but we have found in our testing all 1.65v memory is fine. We have also found most new 1.65v like Corsair XMS3 will run at its rated timings with just 1.50-1.55v which is well within Intel specifications. So people upgrading to Sandybridge you can still use your old DDR3, but we do recommend you run it at 1.60v or less. We are shipping most of our bundles which feature Corsair XMS at 1.50v-1.55v at rated timings. We've also discussed with Asus and MSI regarding voltages for memory and they also confirm in their testing 1.65v caused no issues with reliability.

Base Clock - To put it simple if you value the life of your components, do not overclock using base clock!

PLL Voltage - Again do not exceed 1.9v!

These are just guidelines we recommend you follow, if you want to push more voltage through your CPU's then just be aware they could die on you. Your warranty is un-affected and we will honor any CPU's that die, we just won't ask questions as to how you killed them.

Not all CPU's are as fragile as others, we have experimented upto 1.50v Vcore and 1.70v memory and had zero issues with reliability, so it seems some of fine when pushing hard. "

Can anyone tell me what could be causing this BSOD? It's been happening for the past 2 weeks-- I don't remember doing anything different that might be causing it. The computer has been running fine for the past 3 months. I've tried underclocking the video card and CPU, still crashing. Video card temps seem fine (under 52c max), but when I run FFXIV it can get up to 99% usage capacity when overclocked. I don't know what it was getting up to pre-crashing because I didn't run the monitor then.

KQfv9.png

ghst

thanks for the laugh
MomoPufflet said:
Can anyone tell me what could be causing this BSOD? It's been happening for the past 2 weeks-- I don't remember doing anything different that might be causing it. The computer has been running fine for the past 3 months. I've tried underclocking the video card and CPU, still crashing. Video card temps seem fine (under 52c max), but when I run FFXIV it can get up to 99% usage capacity when overclocked. I don't know what it was getting up to pre-crashing because I didn't run the monitor then.

KQfv9.png

googlefu tells me that's snakebyte's ff14 gamepad driver messing with your shit. your avatar tells me my googlefu is strong.

My first pass at a new build. Current comp has a dying motherboard or video card (pretty sure it's the motherboard), and I'm thinking I'll just go for broke (yeah, broke alright) and have a go at another build. Pretty much want a high powered gaming machine that will last. Just looking to see if there are any glaring mistakes, anywhere I could be saving money, or am not spending enough. Thanks!

2dlk8li.jpg

Raw64life

Only $50 for NCIX to build your comp for you? That seems totally worth it. Although I've clearly been spoiled by Newegg's website trying to find stuff. It also looks like most of their parts are more expensive than Newegg. Still will consider it though.

ghst said:
googlefu tells me that's snakebyte's ff14 gamepad driver messing with your shit. your avatar tells me my googlefu is strong.

Haha!! That would totally explain it because I got the controller 2 weeks ago, thank you. Out of curiosity what part of the text did you google? I didn't find that with 0x0000001E.

There any sort of chart listing the differences between the P67 mobos from ASUS? The "compare" feature on their website leaves a bit to be desired... 'cuz it doesn't work.

Nabs

MomoPufflet said:
Haha!! That would totally explain it because I got the controller 2 weeks ago, thank you. Out of curiosity what part of the text did you google? I didn't find that with 0x0000001E.
the .sys file tells all

Raw64life said:
Only $50 for NCIX to build your comp for you? That seems totally worth it. Although I've clearly been spoiled by Newegg's website trying to find stuff. It also looks like most of their parts are more expensive than Newegg. Still will consider it though.

Not when NCIX will pricematch anybody's second cousin, it seems.

I've probably PMed over 100 items with NCIX, and they've only declined one... which was a PM for 40 cents off a hard drive. :lol

coopolon

TouchMyBox said:
Not when NCIX will pricematch anybody's second cousin, it seems.

I've probably PMed over 100 items with NCIX, and they've only declined one... which was a PM for 40 cents off a hard drive. :lol

Doesn't their FAQ explicitly state they don't price match?

Edit: Yes it does.

AkIRA_22

sam27368 said:
Right so here it is!

As clean as possible on the inside -
57dpP.gif

She's a beaut mate. Extensions for any part of your PC are very cheap and the CPU power one is essential to run up the back. Spending all that money on such an awesome computer and a great case that has so much cable routing and still having those cables is a little average. Those SATA cable could be routed through the grommets too, same with the front panel connectors. It's all nit picking but it looks amazing once it's all done, plus the slightly higher air flow is a bonus. I had the same issue and bought similar extensions to these these;

EPS extension from newegg
12-198-001-04.jpg

CPU power extension
PA-E8-Ext.png

My 2500K and ASUS P8P67 came in today from newegg. I only have the stock cooler so I haven't tried any overclocking yet. At default speeds it's idling at 30C while it topped out at 60C while encoding a DVD to h264. I was hoping to use my old cooler, since I could have sworn I had the 1156 retention bracket, but when I checked today I have brackets for just about every socket except 1156/1155 and apparently newegg doesn't sell them anymore.

Has anyone seen this set for sale anywhere? The only place that seems to sell it is cooler master's website and the shipping from there is obscene, almost twice the cost of the item itself :lol

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
Strange BSOD in my friend's machine (Q6600, 5850, 6Gb Ram), as it only show when cold booting before Windows startup screen. Then BSOD, autoreboot, and logs in fine.

Updated drivers, didn't work. Code dump is atimpag.sys

Common issue, Google says. Fix not known.

vocab

SuperÑ said:
Strange BSOD in my friend's machine (Q6600, 5850, 6Gb Ram), as it only show when cold booting before Windows startup screen. Then BSOD, autoreboot, and logs in fine.

Updated drivers, didn't work. Code dump is atimpag.sys

Common issue, Google says. Fix not known.

If he's using 10.12's, get off them. They aren't stable.

Frostburn

I'm late getting back on GAF after work today (Super busy with project work so I didn't have time to look while I was there). I wanted to thank everyone for replying to my question about my video card upgrade path. I think I'm going to go for the GTX570 based on everything I've read so far, over-clocking and/or flashing the 6950 sounds pretty easy though and I'll be using it for my brother's new build because he is looking to cut some money from my build. I'll be going with the HX-650W PSU and the 6950 instead of the HX-750W PSU and GTX570 for mine.

Wish the Corsair 650D was coming out sooner, I can't wait to cable manage that thing!

AkIRA_22

Frostburn said:
Wish the Corsair 650D was coming out sooner, I can't wait to cable manage that thing!

Music to my ears. 650D what a great case.

Lets all bask in its beauty and wonder

black_monolith_space_oddyssey_4.jpg

Sorry, wrong picture

corsair_obsidian_650d.jpg

Ashhong

Quick question you guys. I have an ATI 4870 installed on my pc right now. I need to test a friends GTX460. Do I need to uninstall my ATI drivers? Can I just install the GPU then install the nvidia drivers on boot, and uninstall the nvidia when im done without messing the ATI?

"That east coast snow is making my second 5770 come a day later :("

Shit snow is delaying my stuff too. Let's comfort each other.

The window on the 650d still frustrates me. I call for government sanctions on windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom