• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
Got my second GTX 570 tonight. Tried Crysis...you definitely don't want to play SLI without v-sync. The dual tearing (which associated side effect is called microstuttering) makes it look like it's running a lot slower than it actually is.

Thankfully, I play all my games with v-sync now, so it isn't much of an issue. I haven't really compared with non-SLI yet, and my CPU is not overclocked either, but I'm getting around 45-60fps in Real Lifesis mod for Crysis, at 1080p, 4xAA.

AkIRA_22

what-memory-for-intel6s.jpg

To all those about to buy a Sandy Bridge system *bastards* read this article to obtain optimal performance out of your RAM. It could even save you from buying RAM that will be wasted, therefore saving up to a couple hundred dollars. Basically you don't need to go nuts, and unsurprisingly not a lot has changed from the 1156 results, 4GB is still plenty and 1333/1600 will do in 90% of cases. It's an interesting read.

LINK TO BIT-TECH ARTICLE

We experienced a lot of snow in Chicago today and I have my GPU and HDD coming from New Jersey. Everything else is from Tennessee and California. So it's gonna get worse before it gets better :(

Grimm Fandango said:
We experienced a lot of snow in Chicago today and I have my GPU and HDD coming from New Jersey. Everything else is from Tennessee and California. So it's gonna get worse before it gets better :(
My Ram and Artic Silver cleaning kit came today and im in south chicago. I hope my heat sink gets here tomorrow. I wanna build this thing already.

matmanx1

Yeah I'm right there in the South also and waiting on my Mobo and CPU to finish my build. My Mobo is sitting at the UPS distro center in town and I may call them tomorrow and see if I can pick it up if it's not showing up as "out for delivery" when I check in the morning.

My CPU is in the Atlanta Fed Ex sort facility as of 1pm today when it should have actually arrived at my house by that time. As I'm about 60 miles north of Atlanta I am hoping Fed Ex will have it on track for delivery tomorrow or at least the local sort facility so I can pick it up.

So close and yet so far away on finishing this thing. I feel your pain, people.

TheExodu5

Banned
AkIRA_22 said:
My only gripe is with the window, windows belong on those garish monstrosities like the HAF-X and Dark Fleet. I hope there will be a 700D style blank panel, a "550D" if you will.

We can only hope for this....

I'm almost certain Corsair will sell a solid panel separately, and perhaps a mesh one as well.

So...besides Crysis and Metro 2033...I'm wondering what I can play to really stress my new PC. :lol

Jae-F8L

Neo Member
My current buil:

Phenom 2 x4 940 (3Gz)
Gskill ddr2 4gb ram
Gtx 580

Will ugrading to a 2500k significantly boost gaming performance?
I play at 1080 but am considering upgrading to a higher res monitor or a 120hz 1080p screen.

I'd like to hear some opinions before I find out I may have wasted money for minimal gains.

Fredescu

TheExodu5 said:
So...besides Crysis and Metro 2033...I'm wondering what I can play to really stress my new PC. :lol
What about classically unoptimised stuff like Cryostasis? Interested to see if SB can brute force it's way through that.

TheExodu5 said:
I'm almost certain Corsair will sell a solid panel separately, and perhaps a mesh one as well.

Original Supreme Commander?

matmanx1

AkIRA_22 said:
what-memory-for-intel6s.jpg

To all those about to buy a Sandy Bridge system *bastards* read this article to obtain optimal performance out of your RAM. It could even save you from buying RAM that will be wasted, therefore saving up to a couple hundred dollars. Basically you don't need to go nuts, and unsurprisingly not a lot has changed from the 1156 results, 4GB is still plenty and 1333/1600 will do in 90% of cases. It's an interesting read.

LINK TO BIT-TECH ARTICLE

Good read, thanks for the link. It's amazing how close the performance is on all of those different setups and it just goes to further emphasize that memory speeds are alot less important with Sandy Bridge.

TheExodu5

Banned
Fredescu said:
What about classically unoptimised stuff like Cryostasis? Interested to see if SB can brute force it's way through that.

I'm hoping the NVidia drivers can 'smartly' apply PhysX with my SLI setup. What I mean by that, is I hope that SLI with PhysX set to automatic will be just as fast as non-SLI with the second card set to dedicated PhysX.

I have no idea how it ran on my previous system, but I'll try it on my current system. I bought it in a Steam sale quite a while back.

I don't have my 2500K overclocked yet. I got my Thermalright Venomous X today, but don't have any fans to go with it yet.

Frostburn

You can always buy a larger display to stress your new build. Could you list your build for us? Dennis4k should list his too!

Also this is the PC build I just put together for a friend of mine about to buy his first desktop system. See anything wrong with it? Obviously the case and hard drive can be swapped out if he feels he'll need more space (he won't) and case is more of a personal choice and how much he wants to spend to go with a Premium case.

hw5vi.png

Newegg build

EDIT: PS he will be buying the CPU and MB Combo at MicroCenter in NoVA when they have it back in stock there.

TheExodu5

Banned
Frostburn said:
You can always buy a larger display to stress your new build. Could you list your build for us? Dennis4k should list his too!

My current screen is a 32" Sony LCD @ 1080P. Not really looking for a higher resolution screen, since I don't really see the benefit. 1080p is perfect in terms of IQ and performance demands, for me. The TV is also great because with the ton of inputs it has, it plays incredibly well with all my consoles.

Anyways, these are my specs:

Cooler Master HAF X
Corsair AX850
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4
Intel i5 2500K
2x4GB G.Skill DDR3-1333 @ 1.5V
2x EVGA GTX 570
Intel 80GB G2 SSD
2x Samsung 2TB F4 5400RPM
Pioneer BD-RW
Thermalright Venomous X CPU Heatsink
Zalman Kaze Master Ace Fan Controller

Shot from a few days ago, missing the second GTX 570 and CPU heatsink:

pc3.jpg

Frostburn

TheExodu5 said:
My current screen is a 32" Sony LCD @ 1080P.

Ah I should know that since I asked to see a picture of your gaming setup! Duh! Anyway thanks for listing your specs. My friend wanted me to build him a system for under $1200 that would last him a while for gaming and general PC use as all he has is a 4 year old laptop right now. Can't wait to see his reaction after trying to play games on that old thing.

rcn2ix.jpg

Corsair 650D gallery
http://www.computerbase.de/bildstrecke/32474/1/
http://www.computerbase.de/news/har...anuar/corsair-zeigt-midi-tower-obsidian-650d/

I didn't mind the 650D's window that much initially, but I could certainly do without it, particularly since it isn't implemented well.

I think I've made it clear how much I like the case. Still, I don't know if I can get around $200 for a mid-tower that is largely made from steel and doesn't necessarily offer a great deal that other competitors don't offer, or do better. Is it worth $60 more than a Silverstone RV02? It certainly won't cool quite as well as a Raven/FT02. Yeah the space and cable routing is nice, but I think people get overly enamored with that aspect of Corsair cases, especially mid-tower users who have come from enclosures with relatively abysmal routing and are either too lazy, or lack the know how to get around that limitation. A lot of users seem to just want to press the "win" button in that regard. Not that big of a deal to me. I actually like doing cable routing, even inside of challenging enclosures.

ColonelColon said:
Does this motherboard have any severe limitations that I might have overlooked?:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128455&Tpk=N82E16813128455
I don't think I'll need more than 8 GB of RAM any time soon, and I won't use crossfire so I only need one PCI Express slot.
No SATA 3. No USB 3.

Can anyone with a Corsair PSU and a fan controller / quiet system comment on this? I can get my fans to be virtually silent with my fan controller in my HAF 922. I also replaced my Hyper 212+ fan with a Scyth S-Flex fan for ultimate quietness. But even with all of my fans turned off, my system is still making a kind of droning / humming sound. Given a process of elimination (including testing out my graphics card at different speeds / in safe mode to make sure it wasn't making the noise even at low rpm), I have to conclude it's my power supply.

My PSU is a Corsair HX650, and from what I've read, people say it's pretty much silent. But I still hear a kind of humming noise at all times, regardless of load (even in BIOS / startup). I also think (but am not sure) that the PSU fan is spinning at the same rate regardless of load. Currently have it fan side down on my HAF 922, getting air from the bottom. According to Corsair forums, the noise can often be due not just to a faulty PSU, but to vibrations between that and the motherboard that can't be helped.

So for anyone who has or has tried for a silent system, do you think that I should try to RMA the PSU to Corsair, or is there always a noise with PSUs that you can't get rid of? The noise isn't really quiet, but overall the computer's still quieter than anyone I've had. I just feel I could still get the system quite a bit quieter, but don't want to take apart all of my painstakingly done cable management (which I just redid a while ago) for something I can't achieve.

[edit] To anyone with the same S-Flex 120 mm fan, at 1200 RPM (its max), it's making somewhat less noise than the PSU, though it's hard to compare as it's a different type of noise.

TheExodu5

Banned
Kurashima said:
Can anyone with a Corsair PSU and a fan controller / quiet system comment on this? I can get my fans to be virtually silent with my fan controller in my HAF 922. I also replaced my Hyper 212+ fan with a Scyth S-Flex fan for ultimate quietness. But even with all of my fans turned off, my system is still making a kind of droning / humming sound. Given a process of elimination (including testing out my graphics card at different speeds / in safe mode to make sure it wasn't making the noise even at low rpm), I have to conclude it's my power supply.

My PSU is a Corsair HX650, and from what I've read, people say it's pretty much silent. But I still hear a kind of humming noise at all times, regardless of load (even in BIOS / startup). I also think (but am not sure) that the PSU fan is spinning at the same rate regardless of load. Currently have it fan side down on my HAF 922, getting air from the bottom. According to Corsair forums, the noise can often be due not just to a faulty PSU, but to vibrations between that and the motherboard that can't be helped.

So for anyone who has or has tried for a silent system, do you think that I should try to RMA the PSU to Corsair, or is there always a noise with PSUs that you can't get rid of? The noise isn't really quiet, but overall the computer's still quieter than anyone I've had. I just feel I could still get the system quite a bit quieter, but don't want to take apart all of my painstakingly done cable management (which I just redid a while ago) for something I can't achieve.

Stop each fan manually, until you can find the source.

Sometimes, some fans don't like certain voltages and will hum a bit. In the HAF 922, I've found that the front intake needs to be slowed, otherwise it hums.

TheExodu5 said:
Stop each fan manually, until you can find the source.

Sometimes, some fans don't like certain voltages and will hum a bit. In the HAF 922, I've found that the front intake needs to be slowed, otherwise it hums.

It's definitely the PSU / its fan, as I've turned off ALL fans (even the CPU fan for a half minute or so) and the noise is still there. The GPU fan can't go lower than 20%, but putting it up higher, I can hear its noise separately from the existing noise at idle.

TheExodu5

Banned
Kurashima said:
It's definitely the PSU / its fan, as I've turned off ALL fans (even the CPU fan for a half minute or so) and the noise is still there. The GPU fan can't go lower than 20%, but putting it up higher, I can hear its noise separately from the existing noise at idle.

Could be the PSU capacitors. Stick a pencil in there or something to stop the fan from spinning and see if it still makes the noise. You should be able to get your ear right up to it to make sure it's coming from there. Would suck to RMA it and find out it's not the problem.

What do you guys think of pci-e ssd?

Those things look insane.

Having a standard sata hdd is now my pc bottleneck; buying one of those pci-e hdd everything else would be the bottleneck :lol

TheExodu5

Banned
BTW, either the new NVidia drivers, or the GTX 570 completely screw with the brightness/contrast settings. I was getting huge black crush, so I had to recalibrate my TV.

dani_dc

So my first try didn't go well.

At first my CPU_LED was on and pc would restart once, I realized I forgot to put an ATX cable, turn it on and it worked but now my DRAM_LED was on and it still restarted once. I tried no RAM and it beeped cause it found no memory.
Tried just one stick didn't work, then realized I simply wasn't connecting it well enough, do so and the PC boots up without issues and I let it on for a minute or two. Was rather happy, so I went to put the second RAM stick, the thing restarted again and after a few seconds I see smoke =\

Have no idea why that happened seeing as the computer was fine with just one stick.

Now regardless of how I try to turn it on the CPU_LED is on, so I'm pretty sure I fried something but I have no idea what or why it happened.

Looking online seems like there's a good chance the RAM and the Mobo might be dead, lovely.

TheExodu5 said:
Could be the PSU capacitors. Stick a pencil in there or something to stop the fan from spinning and see if it still makes the noise. You should be able to get your ear right up to it to make sure it's coming from there. Would suck to RMA it and find out it's not the problem.

Ahh, didn't know that was safe. Well, stopping the PSU fans does nothing for the noise, so I figure it's something just with the PSU itself (or motherboard, but can motherboards make such a noise?) Thanks for the help, I may just RMA it for peace of mind. I think I heard that Corsair only needs the PSU itself, so the only things I'd have to undo would be the main motherboard cords, not the end of the world. But yeah, would suck if it was the motherboard or just how the PSU and it interact.

Kurashima said:
TheExodu5 said:
Right. This can randomly happen with all the different caps in your PC. If you try this and find out that it isn't that or a bearing, it may just be incidental low level hum that happens sometimes, and may not indicative of a faulty component.

I don't know if you would be able to get your hands on any silicon or rubber bits, but if you have any foam padding or insulation lying around you could try placing small pieces between different contact points. Like the far side of the PSU where it meets the motherboard tray, around the rim where it screws into the case, or as added deadening around the PSU fan (where the case's rubber stands would be). If that smothers that last bit of hum that you're hearing, then you can pick up some proper sound dampening material to use for a clean instal.

Also, before going ahead with an RMA, why not just swap in another PSU to see if the sound is still there?

Well, I also stopped my GPU fan for short time, and was kind of surprised at the results. There is still a kind of humming sound alongside the faint PSU fan sound, but it seems that the majority of the noise was coming from the GPU fan after all. I would have thought at minimum speed the fan noise wouldn't be an issue, but there we go. Thanks for the advice guys, I can live with the (now seen to be quieter) hum from the PSU. All it took was knowing I can just manually stop the fans for a short period without completely messing the thing up.

Is it possible to replace a GPU fan with a quieter version though? Don't really know if you need a particularly special one for such a job. Ever since buying a fan controller I've become a bit obsessive with noise, hehe.

[edit] From reviews, I see that it may be, but finding a quiet 75mm PWM fan might be a problem. . . If I do find one and am able to do such a replacement, I'll do a write-up of it here for anyone who's interested.

TheExodu5

Banned
So I was playing some BFBC2, and for a second I was disappointed at how not smooth it was with SLI. So I disabled SLI and tried it again...still not smooth.

I just realized that it's because I've been playing Crysis at 60fps with motion blur, which makes it seem like the smoothest game in the world. I've been ruined again. :lol

JoeBoy101

Commiserating here with everyone else have delays in shipping due to the weather. I got three different shipments coming in and, unplanned even, all three WERE coming in tomorrow, but I think I'm only getting CPU, Mobo, GPU, and Case tomorrow. The rest looks like its going to get bound up just one goddamn state away. Grrrrr.

The Exodu5 said:
So I was playing some BFBC2, and for a second I was disappointed at how not smooth it was with SLI. So I disabled SLI and tried it again...still not smooth.

I just realized that it's because I've been playing Crysis at 60fps with motion blur, which makes it seem like the smoothest game in the world. I've been ruined again.

That's with that 570, right? *salivates*

TheExodu5

Banned
JoeBoy101 said:
That's with that 570, right? *salivates*

Dual 570...but the same is achievable on a single 570 with just a bit less eye candy (mainly no object motion blur).

edit: barf...I can't play GTA IV anymore. With maxed out sliders...30fps. With them at 20 (but everything else maxed), more like 50fps. Still, the game looks like ass, controls like ass, and is not very good in the first place...so yeah. Back to Mafia 2.

vocab

TheExodu5 said:
edit: barf...I can't play GTA IV anymore. With maxed out sliders...30fps. With them at 20 (but everything else maxed), more like 50fps. Still, the game looks like ass, controls like ass, and is not very good in the first place...so yeah. Back to Mafia 2.

Finally. Someone that agrees with me. I know dennis pimps enb screenshots, but the vanilla game is still garbage. Does Mafia 2 perform well? Also, Arma is cpu based. You can probably walk all over that game.

TheExodu5 said:

I just realized that it's because I've been playing Crysis at 60fps with motion blur, which makes it seem like the smoothest game in the world. I've been ruined again. :lol

BC2 will never feel smooth. It's that sloppy engine.

TheExodu5

Banned
Just Cause 2...*drool*

Gotta remember to turn that horrendous motion blur off though!

Just tried SLI Furmark. Wow. Nothing can prepare you for the amount of heat generated by the system. You could probably heat quite a few rooms in the winter time with that on. 600W of heat being pumped out at high speeds.

AkIRA_22

·feist· said:
rcn2ix.jpg

I think I've made it clear how much I like the case. Still, I don't know if I can get around $200 for a mid-tower that is largely made from steel and doesn't necessarily offer a great deal that other competitors don't offer, or do better. Is it worth $60 more than a Silverstone RV02? It certainly won't cool quite as well as a Raven/FT02. Yeah the space and cable routing is nice, but I think people get overly enamored with that aspect of Corsair cases, especially mid-tower users who have come from enclosures with relatively abysmal routing and are either too lazy, or lack the know how to get around that limitation. A lot of users seem to just want to press the "win" button in that regard. Not that big of a deal to me. I actually like doing cable routing, even inside of challenging enclosures.

I agree, the price is a bit scary, I'll be buying it on it's own rather than with a full system so it won't be killer. Looking at that pic got me moist, I have an H50 and seeing that HDD bay lay out is EXACTLY what I was hoping for, I didn't realise they could b rearranged, it just gets better. True it probably won't cool as well as a silverstone, especially with penetrator fans. This really is an emotional debate, it has all the features most people look for, cooling, expansion, routing plus the general adoration that surrounds Corsair products.

AkIRA_22

TheExodu5 said:

Believe it or not but World in Conflict chews up new rigs for breakfast. Basically it just keeps on scaling to add more and more particle effects when shit blows up, the textures look dated but when things go bang it's amazing. But metro is the best when it comes getting visual results you will notice every second of the game, again it just keeps upping the level of detail, plus it's a decent game.

TheExodu5

Banned
AkIRA_22 said:
Believe it or not but World in Conflict chews up new rigs for breakfast. Basically it just keeps on scaling to add more and more particle effects when shit blows up, the textures look dated but when things go bang it's amazing. But metro is the best when it comes getting visual results you will notice every second of the game, again it just keeps upping the level of detail, plus it's a decent game.

Don't have it installed at the moment...but I'm pretty sure my rig would destroy WiC. My Q8300 and GTX 275 maxed the game at like 30fps. My new rig has about 3x the GPU power, and 2x the CPU power.

darthbob

I'm sure this gets asked a LOT around here, but how's this build that I put together for a friend of mine? He told me that money isn't really an issue and to keep it under $1500, but to still go balls out. :lol

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=12290734

As you can see, I elected to go the LGA1155 route and chose a 2500k. I figure he'll do overclocking later if he even needs it, so I didn't choose a cooler, but I'm thinking Noctua or an H70. The board supports SLI and Crossfire, and he mentioned that he wanted that ability, so I wanted to choose a good card to do it with and the 570 came to mind. We can always sub in the 6950 too. And last, the PSU. It 'seems' good enough for SLI but is it really?

TheExodu5

Banned
darthbob said:
I'm sure this gets asked a LOT around here, but how's this build that I put together for a friend of mine? He told me that money isn't really an issue and to keep it under $1500, but to still go balls out. :lol

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=12290734

As you can see, I elected to go the LGA1155 route and chose a 2500k. I figure he'll do overclocking later if he even needs it, so I didn't choose a cooler, but I'm thinking Noctua or an H70. The board supports SLI and Crossfire, and he mentioned that he wanted that ability, so I wanted to choose a good card to do it with and the 570 came to mind. We can always sub in the 6950 too. And last, the PSU. It 'seems' good enough for SLI but is it really?

Get cheaper memory that runs at 1.5V (rated max for Sandy Bridge).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=g.skill_ddr3_8gb-_-20-231-311-_-Product

570 is a great choice. 6950 is a valid alternative as well. Either choice is fine. I prefer NVidia so opted to go that route.

As for the PSU...750 is probably okay, but I'd bump it to 850 to be safe. Just $15 more.

Everything else looks great to me.

As for the CPU cooler...there's no reason to get anything more than a Cooler Master Hyper 212+, unless you just want to be extravagant (like me, lol). SB already runs very cool, and the 212 is not going to be limiting your overclocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom