• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

AkIRA_22

OCZ quits DRAM business to focus on super-speedy SSDs

OCZ, a company that started life a decade ago by churning out DRAM modules for enthusiasts to throw into their towering rigs, has now announced it's abandoning that market entirely. As PC Perspective points out, it's grown increasingly difficult for companies to differentiate their products when it comes to memory -- most of it just works and most of it is pretty fast -- and continually declining prices have apparently forced OCZ's hand. The San Jose-based company's new primary breadwinner will be solid state drives, which already account for a substantial proportion of revenues and look set to grow exponentially as their own prices dip a little further into the range of the affordable. It's a shame we'll no longer have that bold Z to look at when picking out memory sticks for our next self-built machine, but maybe it's all for the best.

WOW, this is a surprise. Less competition is always bad for any market but OCZ cranked out some of the best RAM around. via Engadget

vocab

AkIRA_22 said:
WOW, this is a surprise. Less competition is always bad for any market but OCZ cranked out some of the best RAM around. via Engadget

They used to be top tier. With ram prices the way they are, and companies like gskill coming out and basically releasing cheap ram that OC really well, it doesn't surprise me.

Shambles

Slayer-33 said:
Is lapping these processors necessary for peak oc's still?

It's as necessary as much as you want to get close to perfection. I lapped mine, a lot just for fun as well as better thermals but you can overclock very well still without lapping. Mostly for those people who want to eek out everything they can.

So here's the deal computer GAF...I want to upgrade my PC's CPU which unfortunately means a new mobo and RAM also.

I'm currently running an HP a6230n (specs)

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+
mobo: is an AM2
RAM: DDR2

Last fall I upgraded my PSU to a Corsair 400W so that I could run an ATI HD 4850:

+3.3V +5V +12V -12V +5sb
20A 20A 30A 0.8A 2.5A
130W 360W 9.6W 12.5W

I'm looking at upgrading to something similar to this:
AMD Phenom II 965 3.4 GHZ 125W w/ mobo
AMD Phenom II 955 3.2 GHZ 125W w/ mobo

Also I'll need to pick up like 4 GB of DDR3 RAM.

Based on my specs (specifically my PSU) would this upgrade be feasible or would I be pushing it? I can't really spend more than $300. What do you all think?

Esperado

Affeinvasion said:
Based on my specs (specifically my PSU) would this upgrade be feasible or would I be pushing it? I can't really spend more than $300. What do you all think?
Upgrading the mobo means you'll have to buy a new copy of windows

TheExodu5

Banned
Esperado said:
Upgrading the mobo means you'll have to buy a new copy of windows

Naw.

It should still activate.

Are you near a Microcenter? If so, I'd definitely make sure to grab an i5 2500K bundle. If you're going to go through the trouble of changing motherboards and all, that would definitely be a far more worthwhile upgrade (though the 955 would be a good one as well, if the i5 ends up being too expensive).

Since my DVD drive does not want to work. I was using an 80gb sata drive thats almost 6 years old now ( i have 2 internal 640gb drives for storage, and a 2tb external, I dunno why i have so many). I am thinking i might get an SSD. Should i wait and just format the drive i have? i can spend 180 i guess on something.

Wallach

TheExodu5 said:
Naw.

It should still activate.

Even if it didn't you can just call them and they'll activate it for you. They don't care if you're rebuilding, they only care that you're not installing an OEM on multiple machines.

TheExodu5

Banned
Metalic Sand said:
Can you use a Y splitter to have 2 fans in the 1 CPU Fan? my Mobo only has 1 CPU fan plug.

Something like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119248

Edit: Just realized it doesn't have 2x 4 pin which is what i need.

As you can see a few posts above yours, this ended up in a failed boot in someone else's system. Don't use splitters on the motherboard. Just plug the extra fans directly to your PSU.

TheExodu5 said:
As you can see a few posts above yours, this ended up in a failed boot in someone else's system. Don't use splitters on the motherboard. Just plug the extra fans directly to your PSU.
aww shit really, i was using a Y splitter on the Noctua. I will try and change that up a bit before i go off and buy an SSD and new DVD drive, even though i need one but want the other.

n0n44m

TheExodu5 said:

actually PWM splitter shouldn't be an issue as long as the two fans he's running aren't 38mm 5000 rpm monsters :lol 1A or 12Watts in total is the official max for most motherboards

I'm using a PWM splitter for 2 1300 RPM Scythe fans on my Mugen 2, works perfectly

the user above tied "most of his fans" to the single cpu fan output, guess he's lucky the overcurrent protection kicked in

TheExodu5

Banned
Krauser Kat said:
aww shit really, i was using a Y splitter on the Noctua. I will try and change that up a bit before i go off and buy an SSD and new DVD drive, even though i need one but want the other.

Well if the fan can handle 6V, it's fine (assuming the splitter makes the fans run in series). If your Noctua has been working up until now, you're good.

I'd stick CPU fans on there, but that's it. Don't stick any case fans on there. Sorry...had forgotten about push-pull (which is silly, since I just bought fans for my own push pull setup yesterday). :)

sikkinixx

If a 5850 and a 460 GTX/6850 are about the same price, which should I go for? I know the 5850 is bit more powerful but are the heat/power consumption worth taking into account? i know the big hullaballoo with the 460 was that they run cool and quiet. I know the 5850 has DX11 support but is it missing any other intangibles?

TheExodu5 said:
Well if the fan can handle 6V, it's fine (assuming the splitter makes the fans run in series). If your Noctua has been working up until now, you're good.

I'd stick CPU fans on there, but that's it. Don't stick any case fans on there. Sorry...had forgotten about push-pull (which is silly, since I just bought fans for my own push pull setup yesterday). :)
The fan is running and cpu is at 23-30c at 4ghz in bios. But i cant boot into windows before it blue screens.

Does anybody here have a wireless adapter up to 300mbps that they would recommend compatible with Windows 7? Preferably USB.

This is like the last thing I'm looking for and then I've got everything I want to get. Boy, it feels good.

Wallach

sikkinixx said:
If a 5850 and a 460 GTX/6850 are about the same price, which should I go for? I know the 5850 is bit more powerful but are the heat/power consumption worth taking into account? i know the big hullaballoo with the 460 was that they run cool and quiet. I know the 5850 has DX11 support but is it missing any other intangibles?

Do you have any long term plans for SLI/Crossfire? Supposedly the 6850 is a monster in terms of Crossfire scaling.

In the end all three cards are actually pretty similar performance wise. The 5850 in terms of raw power at stock clocks is the winner, but the 6850 handles tessellation better from what I understand. I'd probably still lean towards the 5850 if you can get it at the same price as the other cards you listed.

Edit - You might also consider waiting a bit for the GTX 560 release. It happens this month and we should get benches before they go to retail.

jiien

shintoki said:
Battery life is good. I'm not looking for something too pricey either. I basically just need something for the few hours of down time in school.

I really don't know anything about specs for Laptops. I kind of just want something that has decent battery life, has enough space, plays moderately older or less demanding titles. I don't want to spend too much either, and if possible from Newegg or Amazon or Dell.

Haha, the problem with not looking for any specific thing, is that there are a gajillion laptops out there. If you're not looking for a very specific trait (like extremely long battery life, hybrid graphics, very good gaming performance, large screen, etc), it's hard to recommend one specific one. Since you suggested Newegg or Amazon, I would look there to see what is popular, and what is in your price range. For the most part, if it has a discrete (mobile) graphics card, it will be sufficient for what you want to play.

I personally would avoid Dell. They used to be much more reliable, but I've read (and experienced) that in recent years, their build quality has suffered. I'd go with a company like ASUS. Take that with a grain of salt, of course. Dell isn't all a bad company, ASUS is just my personal preference, as I've been buying their parts and laptops for years.

Edit: To add to that, if there are any "higher end" (relatively speaking) games you specifically want to play, google the name of that game and the name of the graphics card of the laptop you are looking for. In many cases, someone will have posted results/benchmarks/tests that will give you an idea of how well it plays. I can help when/if you pick a specific laptop and game, but it's hard for me to recommend one specific laptop.

AkIRA_22 said:
hands down the FT02. Make sure it comes with the air penetrator fans.

Air-Penetrator-AP181_03.jpg

They increase air flow on your components and make the FT02 one of the best air cases around, plus it's very good looking.

Man, if the FT02 didn't have the ugly huge-ass silverstone logo and if it had USB 3.0, it would probably be the perfect case.

jiien

ph33nix said:
Does anybody here have a wireless adapter up to 300mbps that they would recommend compatible with Windows 7? Preferably USB.

This is like the last thing I'm looking for and then I've got everything I want to get. Boy, it feels good.

This looks popular on Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166056

The only one I've had experience with is only 150mbps, and it's not really super duper great. I got it at the time just as a backup, and it was cheap. But that there looks pretty good. Wish I had more personal experience for you.

Affeinvasion said:
So here's the deal computer GAF...I want to upgrade my PC's CPU which unfortunately means a new mobo and RAM also.

I'm currently running an HP a6230n (specs)

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+
mobo: is an AM2
RAM: DDR2

Last fall I upgraded my PSU to a Corsair 400W so that I could run an ATI HD 4850:

+3.3V +5V +12V -12V +5sb
20A 20A 30A 0.8A 2.5A
130W 360W 9.6W 12.5W

I'm looking at upgrading to something similar to this:
AMD Phenom II 965 3.4 GHZ 125W w/ mobo
AMD Phenom II 955 3.2 GHZ 125W w/ mobo

Also I'll need to pick up like 4 GB of DDR3 RAM.

I'm surprised this hasn't really come up earlier, but here it is:

If the choice is only between the Phenom II X4 965 and Phenom II X4 955, go with the lower priced 955 as there's little between them, stock or overclocked.

That said, I can not in good faith recommend anyone buying one of these CPUs, or any real Phenom II x4, over an Intel Core i5 2500/2500K. The i5 soundly beats those two CPUs. That isn't hyperbole, it's just fact. It's faster in just about every conceivable way while using a good deal less power. Multi-tasking, productivity, editing, encoding, gaming, etc. One of the smallest gaps between them would likely come in the way of GPU-bound games, where the i5 may only be about 7-12fps or so faster. In CPU-bound titles the performance gulf widens greatly to dozens of frames per second.

Bear in mind, a Phenom II X4 965 trades blows with something like a Core 2 Quad 9550, beating it in certain areas while still being matched, or bettered, by the C2Q in others. First gen Core i chips are a clear step up from C2Qs, with the newer run of Core i parts being faster still. This wouldn't be much of an issue if an i5 2500(K) were priced like the more expensive 1156/1366 socket CPUs, where the equivalent AMD would undercut it nicely, but that isn't the case.

What we have now is a CPU that when paired with an 1155 motherboard, comes in ~$100-150 more than a Phenom II X4 build, and that's the real clincher. Intel has moved the game on considerably. The only Phenom II X4 that I would recommend at the present is the ~$100 PII 840 and that is really just a re-branded Athlon II X4.

So, if someone wants a budget build, AMD is still the way to go with the Athlon II X4 600 series, or the new "Phenom II" X4 840 that picks up where those left off. Beyond that, I can not see how anyone can make an argument for going with the higher end Phenom II X4s in a build that would be considerably slower than a i5 2500(K), costs only a small amount less, consumes more power, and runs on a dead socket. If AMD already had AM3+ motherboards on sale, that option could make sense as it would provide an upgrade path into a future Bulldozer 1 CPU, although AM3+ may be a short-lived socket, but that's a discussion for another time (as with the Phenom II X6s).

Not everyone will agree with me, but it's hard to argue with progress. This is a really interesting period that we are in, and it will really show if some users have staunch allegiances, where they lie, and if people are willing to let bias lead them to make bad decisions. Few people are more enthusiastic than I am for Bulldozer's potential, and if any of the upcoming BD iterations deliver in a major way (without relying so heavily on price), I'd say all of the above in AMD's favor.

What the fanboys and warriors keep missing is that we need both AMD and Intel to be truly competitive in the current X86 CPU space so that we wouldn't have to deal with some of the current nonsense in the market.

One last thing, if any AMD-only GAF members send you a PM, really think their advice through, and also ask yourself why they aren't willing to post that advice in this thread openly.

jiien said:
This looks popular on Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166056

The only one I've had experience with is only 150mbps, and it's not really super duper great. I got it at the time just as a backup, and it was cheap. But that there looks pretty good. Wish I had more personal experience for you.

I actually checked that one and as always, I look at the bad reviews first and then I decided to pass on that one (Can't remember why) Really appreciate the looking out though

I'm getting a router that's up to 300mbps down, does getting an adapter that's 300 also really matter?

As of right now, this is what's in my shopping cart:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...rue&Keywords=(keywords)&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

TP-LINK TL-WN722N IEEE 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 High Gain Wireless Adapter Up to 150Mbps Wireless Data Rates 64/128 bits WEP
WPA/WPA2, WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES)

It seems to be favored well, generally.

matmanx1

ShOcKwAvE said:
Not sure how you can make sure of this?

Any FT02's or RV02's built within the last couple of months should have the Air Penetrators. Silverstone went ahead and put them in as an automatic upgrade in those cases, which was a nice touch. I know on the RV02 any case with a revision number of 1.07 or later will have them and I'm sure there's a similar revision number you could look up for the Fortress.

TheExodu5

Banned
·feist· said:
I'm surprised this hasn't really come up earlier, but here it is:

If the choice is only between the Phenom II X4 965 and Phenom II X4 955, go with the lower priced 955 as there's little between them, stock or overclocked.

That said, I can not in good faith recommend anyone buying one of these CPUs, or any real Phenom II x4, over an Intel Core i5 2500/2500K. The i5 soundly beats those two CPUs. That isn't hyperbole, it's just fact. It's faster in just about every conceivable way while using a good deal less power. Multi-tasking, productivity, editing, encoding, gaming, etc. One of the smallest gaps between them would likely come in the way of GPU-bound games, where the i5 may only be about 7-12fps or so faster. In CPU-bound titles the performance gulf widens greatly to dozens of frames per second.

Bear in mind, a Phenom II X4 965 trades blows with something like a Core 2 Quad 9550, beating it in certain areas while still being matched, or bettered, by the C2Q in others. First gen Core i chips are a clear step up from C2Qs, with the newer run of Core i parts being faster still. This wouldn't be much of an issue if an i5 2500(K) were priced like the more expensive 1156/1366 socket CPUs, where the equivalent AMD would undercut it nicely, but that isn't the case.

What we have now is a CPU that when paired with an 1155 motherboard, comes in ~$100-150 more than a Phenom II X4 build, and that's the real clincher. Intel has moved the game on considerably. The only Phenom II X4 that I would recommend at the present is the ~$100 PII 840 and that is really just a re-branded Athlon II X4.

So, if someone wants a budget build, AMD is still the way to go with the Athlon II X4 600 series, or the new "Phenom II" X4 840 that picks up where those left off. Beyond that, I can not see how anyone can make an argument for going with the higher end Phenom II X4s in a build that would be considerably slower than a i5 2500(K), costs only a small amount less, consumes more power, and runs on a dead socket. If AMD already had AM3+ motherboards on sale, that option could make sense as it would provide an upgrade path into a future Bulldozer 1 CPU, although AM3+ may be a short-lived socket, but that's a discussion for another time (as with the Phenom II X6s).

Not everyone will agree with me, but it's hard to argue with progress. This is a really interesting period that we are in, and it will really show if some users have staunch allegiances, where they lie, and if people are willing to let bias lead them to make bad decisions. Few people are more enthusiastic than I am for Bulldozer's potential, and if any of the upcoming BD iterations deliver in a major way (without relying so heavily on price), I'd say all of the above in AMD's favor.

What the fanboys and warriors keep missing is that we need both AMD and Intel to be truly competitive in the current X86 CPU space so that we wouldn't have to deal with some of the current nonsense in the market.

One last thing, if any AMD-only GAF members send you a PM, really think their advice through, and also ask yourself why they aren't willing to post that advice in this thread openly.

I would have to echo these sentiments exactly.

The Core i5 2500K also provides a CPU that will basically not bottleneck any game on the market (presumably for a very long period of time, considering games aren't exactly moving forward). Add the overclocking potential on top of that, and there's really no real reason to buy anything else, if you can stretch your budget to make the leap.

jiien

ph33nix said:
I actually checked that one and as always, I look at the bad reviews first and then I decided to pass on that one (Can't remember why) Really appreciate the looking out though

I'm getting a router that's up to 300mbps down, does getting an adapter that's 300 also really matter?

As of right now, this is what's in my shopping cart:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...rue&Keywords=(keywords)&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

TP-LINK TL-WN722N IEEE 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 High Gain Wireless Adapter Up to 150Mbps Wireless Data Rates 64/128 bits WEP
WPA/WPA2, WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES)

It seems to be favored well, generally.

Hm, I would say it matters if you actually have internet service that can provide matching speeds. If it can, then your only bottleneck would be this adapter. 150 mbps is almost 20 megabytes per second. Which, for the US, is pretty damn high. So...you're probably okay with this one, I think.

Of course, networking stuff has never been my strong suit, so, you know, I could be completely wrong. :)

Edit: For comparison, highest Verizon FiOS plan you can get currently looks like 50 mbps (and that's just download, of course). There seem to be rumors of a 150mbps plan...I think you're more than fine with that one.

sikkinixx

Wallach said:
Do you have any long term plans for SLI/Crossfire? Supposedly the 6850 is a monster in terms of Crossfire scaling.

In the end all three cards are actually pretty similar performance wise. The 5850 in terms of raw power at stock clocks is the winner, but the 6850 handles tessellation better from what I understand. I'd probably still lean towards the 5850 if you can get it at the same price as the other cards you listed.

Edit - You might also consider waiting a bit for the GTX 560 release. It happens this month and we should get benches before they go to retail.

Ahh thanks. Well the 5850 is on sale for $150cdn right now, no rebates or any BS like that so I am kind of tempted. I know 460's drop down there, specifically the 768mb flavours, but I haven't seen a 5850 that low.

Don't know much about power supplies. These two look so similar, but the first, more expensive one, is the one in the OP's 2500K build. I see differences mainly in the fans and PCIe connectors. Can anyone explain this to me? Thanks...

CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX 750W Power Supply CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

* ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91...
* 100 - 240 V
* 80 PLUS SILVER Certified...

* Fans: 140mm double ball-bearing fan
* Main Connector: 20+4Pin
* +12V Rails: Single
* PCI-Express Connector: 4 x 8-Pin
* Model #: CMPSU-750HX
* Item #: N82E16817139010
* Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

* Was: $169.99
* Now: $144.99
* $119.99 with Rebate
* $5.99 Shipping

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

* ATX12V / EPS12V
* 100 - 240 V
* 80 PLUS Certified

* Fans: Thermally controlled 140mm fan
* PCI-Express Connector: 4 x 6+2-Pin
* Model #: CMPSU-750TX
* Item #: N82E16817139006

* Was: $139.99
* Now: $109.99
* $99.99 with Rebate
* $1.99 Shipping

JoeBoy101

catapult37 said:
Don't know much about power supplies. These two look so similar, but the first, more expensive one, is the one in the OP's 2500K build. I see differences mainly in the fans and PCIe connectors. Can anyone explain this to me? Thanks...

The HX one is modular. What that means is you only have as many power lines plugged into the PSU as you need. For the TX, all the cables are pre-attached to the PSU and don't come off. I threw down the extra money on the modular because its easier to work with and shows a neater case. Obviously though, there is a bit of a price premium there.

jiien

catapult37 said:

CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX 750W Power Supply CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

* ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91...
* 100 - 240 V
* 80 PLUS SILVER Certified...

* Fans: 140mm double ball-bearing fan
* PCI-Express Connector: 4 x 8-Pin
* Model #: CMPSU-750HX
* Item #: N82E16817139010

* Was: $169.99
* Now: $144.99
* $119.99 with Rebate
* $5.99 Shipping

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

* ATX12V / EPS12V
* 100 - 240 V
* 80 PLUS Certified

* Fans: Thermally controlled 140mm fan
* PCI-Express Connector: 4 x 6+2-Pin
* Model #: CMPSU-750TX
* Item #: N82E16817139006

* Was: $139.99
* Now: $109.99
* $99.99 with Rebate
* $1.99 Shipping

I think it depends on your video card. Certain video cards have certain extra power connections. For example:

This power supply:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

Has 2 x 6+2-Pin. And this video card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130591

Has a 2 x 6 Pin power connector (as seen in the details tab). So they work together.

I think. :) It's been a while since I've been into this stuff.

Edit: Or maybe what ^ he said. :(

Wallach

sikkinixx said:
Ahh thanks. Well the 5850 is on sale for $150cdn right now, no rebates or any BS like that so I am kind of tempted. I know 460's drop down there, specifically the 768mb flavours, but I haven't seen a 5850 that low.

That's really a great price. I'd probably grab one... or two.

Emitan

I just used a Windows system restore point for the first time in my life yesterday. I accidentally uninstalled my graphic card's drivers last night and Windows wouldn't boot. Ubuntu booted fine and I couldn't figure out what had gone wrong until I realized I probably uninstalled my graphic drivers :( I'm 20 years old and I've been working with computers for about 15 years and I've never needed a restore before. I think I was doing pretty well.

mclaren777

Zzoram said:
what pc are you building

This will be my rig for the next eight years (with a GPU upgrade four years in)...

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
MB: ASUS P8P67
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws (2x4GB)
GPU: MSI GTX 460
SSD: Corsair P3 64GB?
HDD: Samsung F3 1TB
PSU: Corsair 650W

iNvid02

mclaren777 said:
This will be my rig for the next eight years (with a GPU upgrade four years in)...

g'luck

Esperado

·feist· said:

No offense, but this came out of left field and I think you might be a little too emotionally invested. I can't find anywhere where someone recommended him those choices. He found them himself. Even then his question didn't even ask whether or not those processors were a good value. He was wondering if the upgrade would be feasible with his current power supply.

Computer builders are generally brand agnostic; even more so when there are large differences in performance as the case is with Intels and AMDs latest offerings today.

mclaren777

iNvidious01 said:
Thanks. I'm a little worried about my ASUS motherboard (even though it hasn't arrived yet) because some people online are complaining about mysterious boot issues. It sounds like the problem is related to high frequency RAM but I'll be using C7/1333 so hopefully I won't be affected. *crosses fingers*

JoeBoy101 said:
The HX one is modular. What that means is you only have as many power lines plugged into the PSU as you need. For the TX, all the cables are pre-attached to the PSU and don't come off. I threw down the extra money on the modular because its easier to work with and shows a neater case. Obviously though, there is a bit of a price premium there.

jiien said:
I think it depends on your video card. Certain video cards have certain extra power connections. For example:

This power supply:

Has 2 x 6+2-Pin. And this video card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130591

Has a 2 x 6 Pin power connector (as seen in the details tab). So they work together.

I think. :) It's been a while since I've been into this stuff.

Edit: Or maybe what ^ he said. :(

Thanks guys, makes sense. I would assume the modular capability is just for ease of use, right? It doesn't change the amount of power the thing draws from the wall?

As for the pin connectors, that makes sense, too, but the GPU I had on my build list doesn't specify:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127518

Is that because this GPU does not need its own power connection? Or do they all nowadays? It's been a while since I've done this. (How long? I don't remember my Voodoo3 going directly to the PS but my memory is hazy!!!)

8 years ago my gaming machine was a 2.4 Ghz Pentium 4 with an AGP Radeon 9700 Pro and 1GB of RAM. That was a different time though. Increases in game requirements has slowed and so has the performance increases in hardware, so maybe 8 years isn't unreasonable. I guess the one concern would be the effect that a new console generation would have on PC game requirements.

jiien

catapult37 said:
Thanks guys, makes sense. I would assume the modular capability is just for ease of use, right? It doesn't change the amount of power the thing draws from the wall?

As for the pin connectors, that makes sense, too, but the GPU I had on my build list doesn't specify:

Is that because this GPU does not need its own power connection? Or do they all nowadays? It's been a while since I've done this. (How long? I don't remember my Voodoo3 going directly to the PS but my memory is hazy!!!)

I think they do get their own power connection, in general...but my last build was five years ago, or so, with an 8600GT, and while it did have a power connection, I think, I never hooked up anything to it. We'll need more input on this :)

mclaren777

Felix Lighter said:
8 years ago my gaming machine was a 2.4 Ghz Pentium 4 with an AGP Radeon 9700 Pro and 1GB of RAM. That was a different time though. Increases in game requirements has slowed and so has the performance increases in hardware, so maybe 8 years isn't unreasonable. I guess the one concern would be the effect that a new console generation would have on PC game requirements.
The computer I'm using right now (Dell Dimension 4550) will be eight years old next month and it's been a great trooper apart from only supporting AGP graphics. Crysis didn't run all that great on my old 6600GT but the gameplay was still a bunch of fun. Civ5, on the other hand, is a slide show now on my 7600GT (though I think the CPU is the main bottleneck). Here are the specs with upgrades in bold.

Processor: Pentium 4 @ 2.40GHz
Memory: 512MB DDR @ 333MHz (1024MB)
Monitors: 17" CRT with 0.25dp (19" CRT with 0.24dp)
Video Card: 64MB Nvidia GeForce4 MX (256MB Nvidia 7600GT)
Hard Drive: 60GB @ 7200rpm (160GB + 120GB both @ 7200rpm)
Optical Drive: 16x DVD and 40x CD-RW (16x DVD-RW + 16x DVD)

JoeBoy101

mclaren777 said:

Next Eight years?

Get 8gb of RAM. No sense in not future proofing it more for cheap.

xero273

catapult37 said:

That GPU does have power connection for the power supply. So you do need to connect your power supply to the GPU. It takes two six pin connectors

I've been reading through the last few posts and they blew my mind. Ok I just have one last question before I actually click "submit" :lol

I'm going with the "get more build" (with the radeon 6950/6970) pretty much but I'm getting 1 TB and getting this power supply instead:

It's basically the same thing as the 750 W listed, but I'm getting a 650 W. The only difference I see is that the 750 has 4 PCI-E connectors, whereas the 650 W has only 2 of them. In what world would I need 4 instead of 2? And 650 is still pretty good right?

Thanks, and whoever answers this question will have the satisfaction of knowing you helped finalize a deal :D

I'm doing the 3 day shipping so I'm kind of expecting it to get on Tuesday, when I manage to put this sexiness together I'll post a picture.

JoeBoy101

ph33nix said:
I've been reading through the last few posts and they blew my mind. Ok I just have one last question before I actually click "submit" :lol

I'm going with the "get more build" (with the radeon 6950/6970) pretty much but I'm getting 1 TB and getting this power supply instead:

It's basically the same thing as the 750 W listed, but I'm getting a 650 W. The only difference I see is that the 750 has 4 PCI-E connectors, whereas the 650 W has only 2 of them. In what world would I need 4 instead of 2? And 650 is still pretty good right?

Thanks, and whoever answers this question will have the satisfaction of knowing you helped finalize a deal :D

I'm doing the 3 day shipping so I'm kind of expecting it to get on Tuesday, when I manage to put this sexiness together I'll post a picture.

Might matter if you go SLI, or Crossfire in your case. But, the 650W is not enough really for two cards, so they only give you 2 connectors that will go with two lower end cards or one higher end card. (I think I have that right?) Essentially, if you're planning on two cards at some point, get the 750W. If you're keeping with single GPU, 650W is fine.

JoeBoy101 said:
Might matter if you go SLI, or Crossfire in your case. But, the 650W is not enough really for two cards, so they only give you 2 connectors that will go with two lower end cards or one higher end card. (I think I have that right?) Essentially, if you're planning on two cards at some point, get the 750W. If you're keeping with single GPU, 650W is fine.

Yeah, I think I'm sticking with just one for now since I'm oozing with guilt staring at my shopping cart. So in general I'll probably not use anything else that uses PCI-E?

I literally googled "What uses PCI-E" lol and got nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom