• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
Fredescu said:
You don't need triple channel RAM, your board doesn't support it. A 4GB dual channel kit should be plenty.

Spending that much on a build, you might as well go 8GB. It's not much more, and you won't have to screw with your OC stability (in case you ever wanted to add 2 more sticks to go from 4->8).

WEGGLES

SuperÑ said:
I'm also having troubles with my 5850. It crashes to a BSOD when coldbooting only, (atikmpag.sys), and then works fine with random flash player crashes in Youtube (solved by refreshing the page).

This morning I downgraded to Catalyst 10.10 and it's been fine since then <crosses fingers>
My issue is I'll leave to do something for ~an hour. come back and be at the login screen.

I'll see if it was the video drivers. I'll leave my computer going over night and see if I'm at the login when I wake up.

TheExodu5

Banned
Zzoram said:
Check your hard drive(s). Do you have more than one? Are they all set to Slave or is one set to Master? I had a friend who had 2 hard drives installed both as Slave and that caused his computer to not boot properly, he just got a black screen.

We had to take a dinner break to brainstorm ideas about what we did wrong. Sometimes when your new PC doesn't turn on you panic and don't think about all the things you could've done wrong.

Pretty sure slave/master was only an issue with old ATA drives.

Karg

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
It's done!

pomty.jpg

i5 2500k
Asus P8P67 Deluxe
8gb Corsair XMS DDR3-1600
MSI Cyclone GTX 460 1gb
Xigmatek Asgard II
Corsair TX650

Got my first OEM dud after 3 builds of nothing but smooth sailing... the Samsung F4 was d.o.a., and I was all set to flash the firmware and everything. =| So I've just popped in my old drives for now and I'll exchange it tomorrow.

This thing is so much quieter than my previous PC and lighter/smaller to boot.

matmanx1

So it looks like my stuff will finally be here tomorrow barring any more delays. Both mobo and cpu are showing projected delivery for tomorrow so maybe I'll finally get to build my system!

One question though: Besides Windows, Office, browser and anti-virus what are you guys putting on your SSD's? I'm pretty frugal with my HDD space as I've been operating on the same 160GB boot drive since 2007 although I do have an external RAID 1 enclosure for permanent storage. I've got a 120GB SSD going in and the items I just listed are going to leave alot of empty space. (I'm also going to relocate my "Downloads" and "My Documents" folders to my 1TB drive so those won't be an issue either)

I thought about leaving Steam on the SSD as I only have about 35GB worth of stuff on it right now and I don't tend to install more than 3-5 games at any one time. Besides web surfing and iTunes repository (which will be on the 1TB also) gaming is the primary function of this PC so I may just end up using some SSD space for game playing and storage.

Arsenic

grkazan12 said:
Yeah there's no extra screws on the bottom of the mobo and it was installed correctly onto the safe. Doesn't the green led mean that the motherboard is indeed getting power and not fried?
Same exact thing happened to me, green light and all. I eventually had to buy a new motherboard.

grkazan12

Noticed I didn't have some of the case fans plugged into the mobo, so I pplugged them in, but it still won't turn on. Man so frustrated right now.

·feist· said:
A good 500w PSU would do the trick. Budget?

I'd like to stay in the 50-100 dollar range. Preferably lower! But im a bit flexible because I probably wont be swapping it for a long time. Oh any GPU brand recommendations for that 6850? Thanks again !

AkIRA_22

TheExodu5 said:
Might not have time to install the cooler tonight...but either way I'll take pics when it's done. I'm also going to bring back my Scythe Kaze Master Ace fan controller, since I don't like the colors. I'm getting this one, which will match the HAF X very nicely:

i8458_LamptronFC603dhfx57.jpg

(can be set to one of 6 colors)

That's a handsome FC, you say it can be set to different colours, is one white by any chance?

AkIRA_22

grkazan12 said:
Noticed I didn't have some of the case fans plugged into the mobo, so I pplugged them in, but it still won't turn on. Man so frustrated right now.

I feel your pain, when I built my last PC, the PSU blew up... 3 days to get the replacement. It killed me.

Stealth

Weather delays for UPS are killing me. Only Amazon has gotten anything to me so far this week. I have everything but the damn mobo and CPU. So frustrating.

"Weather delays for UPS are killing me. Only Amazon has gotten anything to me so far this week. I have everything but the damn mobo and CPU. So frustrating."

My mobo has been ??? Somewhere due to the weather since Monday. Despite that, I've gotten 2 other packages delivered via UPS since Monday. So clearly the package hasn't made it to my local hub, yet. Hopefully. Or I'll be incensed.

Hey I just got my second 5770 in and I have a couple questions before I hook it up:

Do I need to connect both bridges to the cards?

If the answer is only one, which connection do I need to put the bridge on? The one closest to the back of my case, or the one closer to the front?

rabhw

Just pulled the the trigger on my new rig purchase:

NePC0.png

First new PC since 2007, time to retire the old Q6600 and 8800 Ultra ;_;

so it looks like i will have to reformat my main drive to get my computer back on line. Its keeps BSOD as soon as window trys to load, it goes to fast for me to get a reading. Trying system restore but im pretty sure i did not have it turned on, and its attempting repairs.

Blackface

Banned
rabhw said:

NePC0.png

I am in the same boat

just pulled the trigger on the Asus P8P67(non pro), Kingston HyperX Blu, and a 2500k. I sprung for a Fractal R3, which is a mind blowing case.

Luckily I had a TX620, WD Black, and good card.

The E8400 lasted.

The Ncix sale saved me close to $100.

Fractal-Design-R3-5-l.jpg

blbild_10_2.jpg

Blackface

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
That Fractal is such a nice case. Would totally get that to use as a home server.

I might be starting up a videopodcast on a certain gaming podcast network. My current computer is very loud, and even with a good mic (like the Rode Podcaster) it picks up some feint noise.

I needed something very quiet.

AkIRA_22

ShOcKwAvE said:
I am debating my next case:

Corsair 600T
zunnmb.png

or Silverstone FT-02
SilverStone-Introduces-Fortress-FT02-Chassis-2.jpg

Thoughts?

You mean

mask_scout_trooper_collecto.jpg

or

SilverStone-Introduces-Fortress-FT02-Chassis-2.jpg

hands down the FT02. Make sure it comes with the air penetrator fans.

Air-Penetrator-AP181_03.jpg

They increase air flow on your components and make the FT02 one of the best air cases around, plus it's very good looking.

ShOcKwAvE

AkIRA_22 said:
hands down the FT02. Make sure it comes with the air penetrator fans.

They increase air flow on your components and make the FT02 one of the best air cases around, plus it's very good looking.

Not sure how you can make sure of this?

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
2San said:
Ah I ordered this case as well(still w8ing on it with other parts as well), but I kinda bought it on a gut feeling. Is it any good?
It's got a surprising amount of features for such a cheap mid tower - the toolless bays work very well, dust filters on the front panel mesh, the ability to route wiring behind the mobo tray (which actually has a big enough cutout so you can install a different CPU cooler without removing everything), includes tons of screws/cable ties and clips/etc., and a stock fan that you'll actually want to use.

Some things that bugged when I was working in it though -

Front buttons, audio, etc. wires all stuck to the front panel, which means you'll have to be careful whenever you pull it off to install drives. Then you have to stuff the wires back in carefully if you have a front intake fan installed when reattaching the panel.

PCI slot punchouts were a pain to remove... I knocked out the ones I needed with a flathead screwdriver while supporting the crossbars to avoid twisting any of the metal.

But hey, for $30 it's a very solid case with good airflow. I was really looking to go smaller/lighter on this build, and the Asgard II fit that bill while surprising me with its features.

Metalic Sand said:
Any more pics of that case? I like the orange in it.
21tmo9.jpg

28miv07.jpg

(note that that's a 2.5" bay above the headphone jacks, I just installed some USB 3.0 ports in there)

And a stock photo to show the front/back panel layouts.

2wp0868.jpg

AkIRA_22

mclaren777 said:
Since we are on the topic of fan controllers, which would you guys suggest?

Scythe
OItoH.jpg

Lamptron
tHy65.jpg

probably the top one, it's more minimalist. Those step indicators are completely arbitrary, you will be playing by ear anyway (the only reason you would have a fan controller) so they just look ugly. Plus it looks like an old school amp.

Shockwave: If you want to make sure you get an FT02 with Air Penetrator fans, order from someone who will ship it to you direct from manufacturer. I got my black FT02 from Directron. Also you can order from a place that moves a lot of stock like Amazon or Newegg. I've heard the silver ones didn't sell quite as well so it's hard to tell if you'll get old stock from Amazon or newegg with those.

TheExodu5

Banned
mclaren777 said:
Since we are on the topic of fan controllers, which would you guys suggest?

Scythe
OItoH.jpg

Lamptron
tHy65.jpg

If you want to wait a few days, I can comment on my Lamptron vs. Scythe. Honestly, I'm not terribly impressed with the Scythe. It works fine, but it needs its own proprietary fan cable extensions (or at least mini 3 pin ones), and the nobs can actually get pulled off.

That Scythe could be different though. A friend of mine bought a similar looking Zalman fan controller today, and I was quite impressed by the build quality.

grkazan12

At last I found a fix for the problem. Turns out that it wasn't starting because the end of the peripheral cable which I attached the majority of the fans to had a 4 pin end to it and I plugged it into the CPU_FAN port on the MOBO. I don't know for some reason it was preventing my computer from even starting up. Can anyone explain to me what the cause of this was???.

Anyway everything's going great on Win7 and I was wondering are there any necessary drivers for the Asus P8P67 Pro and the i5-2500k???

TheExodu5

Banned
grkazan12 said:
At last I found a fix for the problem. Turns out that it wasn't starting because the end of the peripheral cable which I attached the majority of the fans to had a 4 pin end to it and I plugged it into the CPU_FAN port on the MOBO. I don't know for some reason it was preventing my computer from even starting up. Can anyone explain to me what the cause of this was???.

Anyway everything's going great on Win7 and I was wondering are there any necessary drivers for the Asus P8P67 Pro and the i5-2500k???

If you hooked a bunch of fans up to the CPU_FAN port, I'm guessing the fans didn't get enough voltage to run, and the CPU was shutting down due either to the fact that the CPU fan wasn't running (or had no RPM reading), or the CPU was overheating...depending on the motherboard safety mechanism. Some motherboard will shut off on a reported fan failure.

AkIRA_22

TheExodu5 said:
That Scythe could be different though. A friend of mine bought a similar looking Zalman fan controller today, and I was quite impressed by the build quality.

I can't comment on Zalman Fan Controllers, but I do own and have owned Zalman products (CPU cooler and now a PSU) and have never had any dramas. They aren't the best known brands but their stuff is very reputable, particularly their CPU Coolers.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
rabhw said:

Not a fan of the H50, but nice.
grkazan12 said:

did the fans have a 3/4pni and a molex? Don't connect both.

Drivers on mobo disc. Win 7 should pick up most stuff. Check mobo site for updates.

Newegg always finds a way to "get you."

That Xigmatek Asgard II is attractively priced at $30, but has $10 shipping... or essentially the same price as their $40 Rosewill Blackbone, which offers free shipping, leveling the playing field. Both cases are modified versions of the OEM Vortex 3630, made by Maxcube:

http://www.maxcube.com/product/product3.php?id=56&cid=2

g_06889982.jpg

ShOcKwAvE said:
Not sure how you can make sure of this?
Teknopathetic said:
Shockwave: If you want to make sure you get an FT02 with Air Penetrator fans, order from someone who will ship it to you direct from manufacturer. I got my black FT02 from Directron. Also you can order from a place that moves a lot of stock like Amazon or Newegg. I've heard the silver ones didn't sell quite as well so it's hard to tell if you'll get old stock from Amazon or newegg with those.
In addition, if by any chance you're buying one in person, it says so on the box. If you're considering one of the limited editions of the case, they've had them for months before the standard cases slowly began being replaced with the AP181 revision at the end of last year.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I've been using my E6750 Core 2 Duo system since 2007 and can't wait to upgrade since my system is slowly dying. I won't get around to building until May or so though. Is it worth it to jump on one of those Microcenter i5 2500K deals right now ($180 I believe), or should I wait until May to buy it? That seems like a really good deal.

Also, what do you guys do with your old parts?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
jiien said:
Do you have any other criteria? Source titles aren't exactly demanding, so it might help to clarify a little, to help narrow down the vast amount of laptops out there. Is battery life important? What else would you use it for?
Battery life is good. I'm not looking for something too pricey either. I basically just need something for the few hours of down time in school.

I really don't know anything about specs for Laptops. I kind of just want something that has decent battery life, has enough space, plays moderately older or less demanding titles. I don't want to spend too much either, and if possible from Newegg or Amazon or Dell.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
upgraded my setup from a 3ghz Q6600 with 6GB of RAM to a 4.4ghz i5 2500k with 8GB. speeds were overclocked, of course.

since i just reinstalled Win7 last month, i just removed the motherboard drivers, shutdown the PC, and dropped the same drive in the new rig without any problem. the OS was able to recognize the new hardware and, after reauthorizing the OS and some driver installations, have everything up and running in a few minutes.

i already notice an improvement in TF2 @ 1900x1200, where everything now runs smooth at 60fps. on certain maps with the old setup, occasionally the framerates would dip to the 40s with heavy action (like hightower). that's a thing of the past now.

quite pleased so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom