• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

Ashhong said:
Quick question you guys. I have an ATI 4870 installed on my pc right now. I need to test a friends GTX460. Do I need to uninstall my ATI drivers? Can I just install the GPU then install the nvidia drivers on boot, and uninstall the nvidia when im done without messing the ATI?

kpeezy

Banned
Hazaro said:
If you are happy with what you have, don't upgrade. A GTX 560 at the end of January might be a decent upgrade though.

I'm in a similar situation with a 512MB 4870. I'm not happy with the performance, but I could easily hold off for a year or more. Is there anything in development that will be worth waiting for? I'm considering the GTX560 but I wouldn't have a problem waiting for something else.

Ashhong said:

Since noone responded to your query, I shall ;)

Yes, you need to uninstall the ATI drivers and make sure they are gone (use Driver Cleaner) before you install the GTX 460. Always clean your drivers if you are swapping video cards.. ALWAYS!

TheExodu5

Banned
kpeezy said:
I'm in a similar situation with a 512MB 4870. I'm not happy with the performance, but I could easily hold off for a year or more. Is there anything in development that will be worth waiting for? I'm considering the GTX560 but I wouldn't have a problem waiting for something else.
Nothing big is going to come out for a while now. It would be a pretty good time to upgrade. It all depends on how much you're willingnto spend, though. Wait for GTX 560 reviews to see what kind of performance jump you can expect.

Blackface

Banned
Man do I hate Americans when it comes to the deals they get on PC stuff.

Asus P867 (normal)
4gb of Kingston HyperX Blu
3 Yate loon Fans

is going to run my almost $500 with tax and thats AFTER I saved a good $40.

In terms of people talking about video cards. Only upgrade if you are unable to play the games you want at the resolution you want to play them at.

I have a 5770 (which I got b/c my card finally died and I was short on cash), and there are quite a few cards that will get higher FPS in games then it. However, in almost all games (outside of crysis and the like) with the 2500k, it will pull at least 60 FPS at 1080p maxed out (maybe turning AA down a bit on some titlles). So it is simply not worth upgrading. Hell, there isn't a game I can't play now using an E8400.

I only upgrade cards A) if they break prematurely and B) if I simply cannot play a game I want to at the settings I would like. There will always be something better out there shortly after you buy X computer part. People can get caught up in the upgrade bug.

I have been using that method for over a decade now and it has never failed me. And with even low end cards being so powerful now-a-days it has become even easier.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
MisterAnderson said:
So I just came across something that might be the answer to my RAM problem (the problem where I couldn't get my system to boot past the Windows screen if I set the RAM speed to XMP profile1, making it jump from 1066Mhz to 1600Mhz)

I found this on some overclocking guide:

So I basically can only get my memory to run at 1600Mhz unless I overclock my processor to be 3.2GHz?
You can change the memory multiplier and not touch the CPU speed/multi.

Just get some 1333 RAM that runs at 1.5V
Benefits of faster 1600 CL 8 DDR3 aren't worth the hassle.

ALSO, EVERYONE RUN MEMTEST86+ WHEN YOU GET YOUR STICKS IN.
Seriously, only takes a little and can save you a ton of trouble later.
Ashhong said:
To eliminate any issues that might happen you should uninstall the drivers, then install new ones.

Driver Sweeper from guru3d can help with that.

If you just want to test video out you can plug it in.

jiien

shintoki said:
Asked it the other day, anyone help with picking out a lap top. I just want something that can play source titles decently. Doesn't have to be pure gaming.

Do you have any other criteria? Source titles aren't exactly demanding, so it might help to clarify a little, to help narrow down the vast amount of laptops out there. Is battery life important? What else would you use it for?

grkazan12

Hey GAF not sure what's wrong I have everything plugged into the motherboard everything was installed correctly. Tried to turn it on for a test but the only thing that happens is the motherboard's green light turns on and nothing else. What could it be??

TheExodu5

Banned
grkazan12 said:
Hey GAF not sure what's wrong I have everything plugged into the motherboard everything was installed correctly. Tried to turn it on for a test but the only thing that happens is the motherboard's green light turns on and nothing else. What could it be??
8 pin and 24 pin connectors are hooked up on the motherboard? PCI-E power is hooked up to the video card? RAM is properly seated?

grkazan12

8 and 24 pins connectors are hooked up from the psu,the ram is properly seat (both sticks are in the light blue slots for the asus board) and I hooked up the PCI-E connectors from the psu to the video card.

Manp

TheExodu5 said:
My current screen is a 32" Sony LCD @ 1080P. Not really looking for a higher resolution screen, since I don't really see the benefit. 1080p is perfect in terms of IQ and performance demands, for me. The TV is also great because with the ton of inputs it has, it plays incredibly well with all my consoles.

Anyways, these are my specs:

Cooler Master HAF X
Corsair AX850
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4
Intel i5 2500K
2x4GB G.Skill DDR3-1333 @ 1.5V
2x EVGA GTX 570
Intel 80GB G2 SSD
2x Samsung 2TB F4 5400RPM
Pioneer BD-RW
Thermalright Venomous X CPU Heatsink
Zalman Kaze Master Ace Fan Controller

Shot from a few days ago, missing the second GTX 570 and CPU heatsink:

pc3.jpg

not only a great setup in terms of specs, but cable management is great too. it helps that your case is huuuuge :lol

if i may suggest you something i would cover those colored wires using something like this:

j4d3S.jpg

i did it for my build and the results are beautiful:

29pN8.jpg

:)

Hazaro said:
You can change the memory multiplier and not touch the CPU speed/multi.

Just get some 1333 RAM that runs at 1.5V
Benefits of faster 1600 CL 8 DDR3 aren't worth the hassle.

ALSO, EVERYONE RUN MEMTEST86+ WHEN YOU GET YOUR STICKS IN.
Seriously, only takes a little and can save you a ton of trouble later.

I already ordered the same set of 6GB I have to double up to 12 GB for $100 at newegg. If I want shouldn't I be able to just make those sticks 1333?

And so is what that article said just wrong about not being able to set the RAM to 1600Mhz without changing the uncore speed of the processor to be double the speed?

Edit: What is Memtest 86+?

so i got my cpu heat sink in and HOLY SHIT, im going to have to use my old after market cooler thats on my q6600. This thing is massive. (i have a antec 300 case) This will be the last post on my old friend. Wish me luck.
WTF.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
grkazan12 said:
Yeah whenever I press the power button, the mobo flashes red lights and there's two green lights that are on.
Check your mobo manual.
Alternatively its probably just something stupid you are over looking. Take your parts out of your case and test again with the bare minimum.
MisterAnderson said:
I already ordered the same set of 6GB I have to double up to 12 GB for $100 at newegg. If I want shouldn't I be able to just make those sticks 1333?

And so is what that article said just wrong about not being able to set the RAM to 1600Mhz without changing the uncore speed of the processor to be double the speed?

Edit: What is Memtest 86+?
In the case of a Core i7-920 chip, the default memory multiplier is 8. So to determine the main memory speed, multiply 8 by 133 for 1,066MHz
So just change it to 1:9

Memtest tests your memory for errors. Its in the OP.

WEGGLES

Odd issue with my PC I built in August 2010

i5 750
ATI HD 5850
4GB DDR3 Memory
Gigabyte UD3 P55 USB3.0 motherboard
Win 7 64

If left to idle it'll BSOD and restart on its own.

Started doing it about 2 weeks ago. Not sure what it might be.

If I lock (Win+L) it's fine, and it's fine while I'm using it. But if I leave it to go to dinner I'll be at the login screen by the time I get back with a "Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown" window. It's not a huge issue at the moment, as it only does it when I'm not using it, but it's still a pain.

I ran memtest86+ ver 4.10 for 2 passes and no problems.

Is there some crash log in win7 that will say what might have caused the issue, software wise. I can't think of what might be causing my PC to crash like this... I don't recall installing anything recently... Hrm.

Hazaro said:
Check your mobo manual.
Alternatively its probably just something stupid you are over looking. Take your parts out of your case and test again with the bare minimum.

So just change it to 1:9

Memtest tests your memory for errors. Its in the OP.

Sorry for the likely stupid questions, but on the Memtest page there are a few versions of it:

"Memtest86+ comes in three different way, first is a pre-build bootable ISO, second is a bootable binary and third an installable package for creating a bootable floppy. Third version are compressed in .zip and .tar.gz."

I don't have a floppy drive on my PC, so which one should I use out of the other choices? Do they require any fancy knowledge or it's just an application you just run and it handles the rest?

And I'm a little confused by your suggestion to "just change it to 1:9," change what to 1:9?

TheExodu5

Banned
WEGGLES said:
Odd issue with my PC I built in August 2010

i5 750
ATI HD 5850
4GB DDR3 Memory
Gigabyte UD3 P55 USB3.0 motherboard
Win 7 64

If left to idle it'll BSOD and restart on its own.

Started doing it about 2 weeks ago. Not sure what it might be.

If I lock (Win+L) it's fine, and it's fine while I'm using it. But if I leave it to go to dinner I'll be at the login screen by the time I get back with a "Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown" window. It's not a huge issue at the moment, as it only does it when I'm not using it, but it's still a pain.

I ran memtest86+ ver 4.10 for 2 passes and no problems.

Is there some crash log in win7 that will say what might have caused the issue, software wise. I can't think of what might be causing my PC to crash like this... I don't recall installing anything recently... Hrm.
There is a log you can check...can't remember where it is though.

Are you overclocking your CPU?

If not, then a driver is the most likely cause. If ever a driver tries to access a memory location it doesn't have access to, you'll get a blue screen.

AkIRA_22

Manp said:

I agree, my OCD kicks in with all black cases, it makes all the wires standout.

The red SATA cable could be replaced with these

SATA1E-05M_LR.jpg

Further to manp's suggestion, here is a site that has it pretty cheap and it would look fucking amazing in that case http://cableorganizer.com/fray-resistant.

I have come up with this simple yet effective fix.

posca.jpg

Posca pens are wicked, they don't rub off, they are VERY permanent. You can use it to touch up areas in the case like rivets, screws etc.

Heat shrink is good too, all you need it a hair drier or a lighter. It's useful for fan extensions and other connectors.

vocab

MisterAnderson said:
Sorry for the likely stupid questions, but on the Memtest page there are a few versions of it:

"Memtest86+ comes in three different way, first is a pre-build bootable ISO, second is a bootable binary and third an installable package for creating a bootable floppy. Third version are compressed in .zip and .tar.gz."

I don't have a floppy drive on my PC, so which one should I use out of the other choices? Do they require any fancy knowledge or it's just an application you just run and it handles the rest?

And I'm a little confused by your suggestion to "just change it to 1:9," change what to 1:9?

Do you have a dvd burner? That's all you need. Burn the iso, and restart the computer to boot up from the disc.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
MisterAnderson said:

Burn the .iso to a CD. Reboot and boot from CD. Wait 10 minutes and see if it gives you any errors.

133 = CPU FSB
133.3 * 8 = 1066MHz = RAM speed.
133.3 * 10 = 1333Mhz
133.3 * 12 = 1600Mhz

The memory multiplies what it runs at vs the CPU

AkIRA_22

Krauser Kat said:
so i got my cpu heat sink in and HOLY SHIT, im going to have to use my old after market cooler thats on my q6600. This thing is massive. (i have a antec 300 case) This will be the last post on my old friend. Wish me luck.
WTF.jpg

The Noctua is a beast but it's one of the best, if not the best, air cooler on the market. Because your running a Sandy Bridge it will spin slowly, you will not here that heat sink.

WEGGLES

TheExodu5 said:
There is a log you can check...can't remember where it is though.

Are you overclocking your CPU?

If not, then a driver is the most likely cause. If ever a driver tries to access a memory location it doesn't have access to, you'll get a blue screen.
Not overclocking (I know I should be :{ )

I'll check with gigabyte for new drivers for stuff. My video drivers are up to date.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
grkazan12 said:
Guys Idk what it could be When I try turn it on two red lights flash quickly, one by the DRAM and one by the CPU.
I told you, take it out of the case and run it with the minimum you need (CPU, RAM)
WEGGLES said:

I'll check with gigabyte for new drivers for stuff. My video drivers are up to date.
You can update your mobo BIOS, but just do a system restore to a point where it was working imo. You can also try driver sweeper and reinstall new nvidia drivers. Display drivers are all sorts of problems.

vocab

WEGGLES said:

Sounds like a power play issue more than anything. Have you had this problem since you built the computer? If yes your graphics card might be fucked up. If no, then it's 10.12's.

grkazan12 said:
Guys Idk what it could be When I try turn it on two red lights flash quickly, one by the DRAM and one by the CPU.
Have you checked your manual for error codes? Alternatively, you can try the manufacturer's site.

AkIRA_22 said:
That's an eSATA cable, silly.

AkIRA_22 said:
The Noctua is a beast but it's one of the best, if not the best, air cooler on the market. Because your running a Sandy Bridge it will spin slowly, you will not here that heat sink.
61htlkD%2BKzL.jpg

Quieter, cools better, costs less. Still, close enough that the choice comes down to preference.

WEGGLES

vocab said:
Sounds like a power play issue more than anything. Have you had this problem since you built the computer? If yes your graphics card might be fucked up. If no, then it's 10.12's.
It started a couple weeks ago. So it may be the video drivers.

I have had the drivers crash a couple times on flash videos (specifically watching giantbomb.com live stuff) but it was just a black screen and then back.

Hazaro said:
You can update your mobo BIOS, but just do a system restore to a point where it was working imo. You can also try driver sweeper and reinstall new nvidia drivers. Display drivers are all sorts of problems.

I have a 5850, so it'd have to be AMD drivers, but I will give that a shot. Just get 10.11?

WEGGLES

·feist· said:
You're on 10.12? A lot of users recommend sticking with/reverting back to 10.11 or 10.10e.
I'll try 10.11, as it was a couple weeks ago this shit started and...

Version Date Posted

10.12 12/13/2010

Alright, so I've basically decided on getting a 6850 based on various reviews and how it performs etc. I have a stock 400w PS that i took off a prebuilt computer so I'd like to replace it.

My CPU is an AMD phenom ii x2 unlocked to quad and OC'd to 3.6. What kind of PSU should I be looking for? Thank you all in advanced! In addition, what brand of ATI 6850 should I try to shoot for? There are so many to pick from is one manufacturer better than any other? I can get it from the egg, amazon or any local place here ( frys/microcenter)

thanks again!

well (on my wifes computer which i built the last time i upgraded, phenom II dual core and a 4850) The old heat sink from my 775 build did not work, i guess i thought it might. Looks like im going for the noctua.

grkazan12

I'm sorry guys I tried with no video card , I tried with one ram , no ram and nothing yet. Everything seems to be alright, the fans try to start up for a second then stop. @Hazaro is that the only troubleshoot to take the motherboard out of the case and do what exactly? Once again I'm sorry for posting and sounding stupid, it's my first time.

Arsenic

grkazan12 said:
I'm sorry guys I tried with no video card , I tried with one ram , no ram and nothing yet. Everything seems to be alright, the fans try to start up for a second then stop. @Hazaro is that the only troubleshoot to take the motherboard out of the case and do what exactly? Once again I'm sorry for posting and sounding stupid, it's my first time.
Yeah thats the exact issue i had with my brother's PC, for a split second the fans would spin, the green lights on MoBo stays lit, but nothing else happens. Pressing the front panel power button does nothing, and when you switch the PSU's i\o switch, does the keyboard's LEDs light up for a quick second?

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
WEGGLES said:

Version Date Posted

10.12 12/13/2010

I'm also having troubles with my 5850. It crashes to a BSOD when coldbooting only, (atikmpag.sys), and then works fine with random flash player crashes in Youtube (solved by refreshing the page).

This morning I downgraded to Catalyst 10.10 and it's been fine since then <crosses fingers>

AkIRA_22

·feist· said:
That's an eSATA cable, silly.

Bwahaha, woops, oh well, I'm sure we got the picture.
EDIT: I just had a closer look and They are "L" shaped indicating internal.

Here is an e-SATA

eSATA_TypA_lrg.jpg

·feist· said:
61htlkD%2BKzL.jpg

Quieter, cools better, costs less. Still, close enough that the choice comes down to preference.

2x140mm fans, JESUS! I haven't seen that before what are it's details?

When it comes to noise I think it's arbitrary now with 2500K running so cool even at 4.5GHz. These two coolers are overkill really, a standard 120mm fan will do. However when it comes to us geeks and "My HSF is bigger than your HSF" size matters! haha.

Nabs

WEGGLES said:

Version Date Posted

10.12 12/13/2010
10.10e's are probably better than the 11s. they are definitely newer.

TheExodu5

Banned
WEGGLES said:

Try to find the log first. It should indicate what is causing the issue.

Anyways, picked up the fans for my Thermalright Venomous X today, as well as some Arctic MX-4 thermal paste.

I was trying to find Scythe 800RPM fans, but they were out of stock. I saw Thermalright 800RPM fans, so I decided to compare. The 1600RPM fan specs from Thermalright matched exactly those from the Scythe's, so I guess they must be the exact same fans. The Thermalright fans are just $3 cheaper, and have a nicer label. Sweet. :D

Might not have time to install the cooler tonight...but either way I'll take pics when it's done. I'm also going to bring back my Scythe Kaze Master Ace fan controller, since I don't like the colors. I'm getting this one, which will match the HAF X very nicely:

i8458_LamptronFC603dhfx57.jpg

(can be set to one of 6 colors)

Kalnos

Banned
grkazan12 said:

Probably not the problem, but are you sure your motherboard is installed correctly? The reason he's saying to take it out of the case (and onto its box) is because if it's not on the standoffs it came with it could be shorting.

I.E. Screw standoffs into case, align motherboard with standoffs, install screws.

grkazan12

Yeah there's no extra screws on the bottom of the mobo and it was installed correctly onto the safe. Doesn't the green led mean that the motherboard is indeed getting power and not fried?

Krauser Kat said:
well (on my wifes computer which i built the last time i upgraded, phenom II dual core and a 4850) The old heat sink from my 775 build did not work, i guess i thought it might. Looks like im going for the noctua.
Should work.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/62/p1020232z.jpg

DrBaalzamon said:
Alright, so I've basically decided on getting a 6850 based on various reviews and how it performs etc. I have a stock 400w PS that i took off a prebuilt computer so I'd like to replace it.

My CPU is an AMD phenom ii x2 unlocked to quad and OC'd to 3.6. What kind of PSU should I be looking for? Thank you all in advanced! In addition, what brand of ATI 6850 should I try to shoot for? There are so many to pick from is one manufacturer better than any other? I can get it from the egg, amazon or any local place here ( frys/microcenter)

thanks again!
A good 500w PSU would do the trick. Budget?

AkIRA_22 said:
Bwahaha, woops, oh well, I'm sure we got the picture.
EDIT: I just had a closer look and They are "L" shaped indicating internal.
Zoomed in on the original posted pic, and... you are correct, sir.

Stand by my "silly" remark, though. Must remain resolute.

Kalnos

Banned
grkazan12 said:
Yeah there's no extra screws on the bottom of the mobo and it was installed correctly onto the safe. Doesn't the green led mean that the motherboard is indeed getting power and not fried?

Should just mean it's getting powered/posting yeah. I believe those lights are replacing speaker cables.

Zzoram

Check your hard drive(s). Do you have more than one? Are they all set to Slave or is one set to Master? I had a friend who had 2 hard drives installed both as Slave and that caused his computer to not boot properly, he just got a black screen.

We had to take a dinner break to brainstorm ideas about what we did wrong. Sometimes when your new PC doesn't turn on you panic and don't think about all the things you could've done wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom