• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeBoy101

Shambles said:
Atta boy joe! :D I haven't spent a lot of time with Just Cause 2 yet but i've had a blast with the grappling hook mechanics. Definitely some good silly fun over a B grade storyline.

I already have both games and have actually been saving JC2 for the new system. I will say, I think Mafia II plays better with 360 pad. Not sure about JC2. I think KB/M is better there, but gotta do a bit of re-mapping.

EDIT: ^ !Nvidious1, I'll assume your pics are just getting blocked by my work firewall. Code PM incoming.

Smokey

ph33nix said:
Alright guys, I've done it:

1. Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
2. ASUS P8P67 PRO LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
3. XFX HD-695A-CNFC Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
4. CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
5. Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
6. G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBNQ
7. SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
8. Logitech 920-000922 Black USB Cordless Compact Desktop S520
9. Asus ML238H 23" Full HD Swivel and Tilt adjustable LED Backlight LCD Monitor Slim Design
10. ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
11. D-Link DIR-655 802.11b/g/n Xtreme N Gigabit Wireless Broadband Router up to 300Mbps/ USB port x1/ Intelligent QoS Technology for Gaming
12. TP-LINK TL-WN722N USB 2.0 High Gain Wireless Adapter
13. COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7

Think I got everything I need? :D

You son of a bitch.

Billychu said:
D-Link? Be prepared to return that thing in 2 months when it stops working. D-Link is garbage.

Have you used the model that he is talking about? If not then don't spread FUD. I've had that particular model for 2 years and can count on one hand the number of times it has dropped a connection. All of my gaming systems hooked up wireless and I didn't have to configure any ports to get it to work correctly.

Went through 2 Linksys routers. Trash. Had a Netgear router that would continually fuck up. Trash. I don't know about other D-link models but the one he has is the exact one I use, and it is solid.

Shambles

TheKurgan said:
Okay my build is almost final - will probably order tonight once NCIX's sale goes live. I know there are a lot of these being posted but pick it apart please :D

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB $79.99
Samsung BX2431 24IN Widescreen LED LCD Monitor 1920X1080 2MS $239.99
XFX Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 $299.99
NCIX Gaming $379.99
1 x Intel Core i5 2500K Quad Core Unlocked Processor LGA1155 3.3GHZ Sandy Bridge 6MB
1 x ASUS P8P67 Pro ATX P67 LGA1155 DDR3 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI SATA3 USB3.0 Sound GBLAN
Samsung SH-S243D/BEBE 24X Black DVD $20.99
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT $99.99
Corsair TX750W 750W ATX 12V 60A 24PIN ATX $109.99
Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced ATX Mid Tower Case $99.99
Corsair XMS CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1333 CL9-9-9-24 $95.99
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus Direct Touch 4 Heatpipe Heatsink $29.99

YOUR TOTAL $1,456.90

Couple of questions:
- can anyone recommend me some 120mm case fans?
- is a 6950 overkill for a 1080p setup (I can get the 6870 for about $80 cheaper)?

750W is overkill for a 6950, if you can get a lower powered one around 500W for cheaper do it. Also if you're wanting to cut costs than yes move to a cheaper GPU. Even a 5770 will adaquately push a 1080p display and a GTX 460 would be strong enough to future proof future games to a good degree. Also I'd say the Samsung F3 1TB over the WD Black.

TheExodu5

Banned
JoeBoy101 said:
I already have both games and have actually been saving JC2 for the new system. I will say, I think Mafia II plays better with 360 pad. Not sure about JC2. I think KB/M is better there, but gotta do a bit of re-mapping.

EDIT: ^ !Nvidious1, I'll assume your pics are just getting blocked by my work firewall. Code PM incoming.
I find Mafia 2 plays phenomenally well with mouse and keyboard. The controls are perfect.

I tried playing GTA4 afterwards, but just couldn't do it.

TheExodu5

Banned
Shambles said:
750W is overkill for a 6950, if you can get a lower powered one around 500W for cheaper do it. Also if you're wanting to cut costs than yes move to a cheaper GPU. Even a 5770 will adaquately push a 1080p display and a GTX 460 would be strong enough to future proof future games to a good degree. Also I'd say the Samsung F3 1TB over the WD Black.

=

750w leaves the possibility of Crossfire.

6950 may be overkill for some, but not others. A 5770 or GTX 460 will not max out all games at 1080p (like Just Cause 2) at 60 fps. A 6950 pretty much will, except for a few rare exceptions.

Emitan

TheExodu5 said:
=

6950 may be overkill for some, but not others. A 5770 or GTX 460 will not max out all games at 1080p (like Just Cause 2) at 60 fps. A 6950 pretty much will, except for a few rare exceptions.
Truth. I'm hoping to replace mine soon.

Shambles

TheExodu5 said:
=

I didn't see him mention crossfire. My 4870 512MB maxes out JC2 at 1920x1200, a 5770 will perform basically the same. Of course steam won't launch JC2 for me to check numbers now. And I just noticed it was the PRO version of the motherboard so yeah he must be wanting to go crossfire.

Blackface

Banned
TheKurgan said:
Okay my build is almost final - will probably order tonight once NCIX's sale goes live. I know there are a lot of these being posted but pick it apart please :D

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB $79.99
Samsung BX2431 24IN Widescreen LED LCD Monitor 1920X1080 2MS $239.99
XFX Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 $299.99
NCIX Gaming $379.99
1 x Intel Core i5 2500K Quad Core Unlocked Processor LGA1155 3.3GHZ Sandy Bridge 6MB
1 x ASUS P8P67 Pro ATX P67 LGA1155 DDR3 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI SATA3 USB3.0 Sound GBLAN
Samsung SH-S243D/BEBE 24X Black DVD $20.99
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT $99.99
Corsair TX750W 750W ATX 12V 60A 24PIN ATX $109.99
Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced ATX Mid Tower Case $99.99
Corsair XMS CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1333 CL9-9-9-24 $95.99
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus Direct Touch 4 Heatpipe Heatsink $29.99

YOUR TOTAL $1,456.90

Couple of questions:
- can anyone recommend me some 120mm case fans?
- is a 6950 overkill for a 1080p setup (I can get the 6870 for about $80 cheaper)?

-This monitor is $100 cheaper and arguably has a better picture http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=57310&vpn=VE247H&manufacture=ASUS&promoid=1277

-You don't need the pro version of the MB. I understand you are buy in a bundle, but the non-pro version is on sale as well as the 2500k. I think you save $20. Unless you really plan to push the thing like crazy overclocking(needing full water cooling) or want to Crossfire (which is pointless with the card you got since it dominates everything and you are running one monitor) you don't need the pro.

-For case fans wait until the $12 Yate Loons go on sale for $3. They go onsale every other week.

- Unless you plan to push your system you don't really need an after market HSF for overclocking a 2500k. You can get it stable @ 4ghz +, running cool (for a CPU) with the low profile one included from intel. If you are going to go for an after market HSF and want to really push the thing on air then spend big, something like one of the Noctua's. Otherwise save the $30 OC it to 4+ghz and be happy.

- Make sure you really need the 8gb of ram. The Asus boards allow you to pick up a kit of Kingston HyperX Blu 4gb DDR3 for $39.99. For example, I am going to be doing some video-editing, audio recording, and playing games like crazy and even I don't need 8gb. You need to do some really intense stuff to need that much ram. Triple boxing World of Warcraft with Skype, Ventrilo, and Firefox open doesn't even require 8 gigs of ram to put it in perspective.

It's a great build, but you can save a total of $210 and not lose any performance by doing some of the things I suggested. You can either pocket the money, upgrade to a 6970 which would overall give you higher performance then what you listed (and would save you money actually) or buy some fans.

TheExodu5

Banned
Wazzim said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=637227Q9EYg
This guy claimes running it on 60-80 fps and the only thing not maxed is the AA (up to 4x).
People claim a lot of things

Note that in JC2, Nvidia does poorly and the GTX 460 just matches the 5770.

My GTX 275, which just about matches the 460 1GB, can pull about 35-40 FPS in JC2. You need a 5850 or GTX 570 to max it at 1080p.

The GTX 570 at stock speeds pulls around 50-60fps in Mafia 2. A 5770 will pull about half that.

Shambles

Turns out I'm a liar anyways, just noticed SSAO was completely off and fraps is still only reporting framerates in the 30's. So now the 5770 is great for maxing out 1080p...as long as all the AA/SSAO type stuff is turned off :lol

TheExodu5

Banned
Wallach said:
Wow that game is fucking gorgeous.
Yes it is. I'd venture to say it's the best looking PC game on the market, overall.

Shame it performs so poorly on NVidia hardware. Thankfully, my SLI GTX 570 can brute force it just one.

TheExodu5

Banned
Shambles said:
Turns out I'm a liar anyways, just noticed SSAO was completely off and fraps is still only reporting framerates in the 30's. So now the 5770 is great for maxing out 1080p...as long as all the AA/SSAO type stuff is turned off :lol
Yup.

The 5770 and 460 are fine as long as you don't mind making a compromise or two.

The $300 video cards are there for you to brute force through system hogs and unoptimized games. SLI is for stupid people like me that want to run Crysis at 60fps. :lol

Solo

Question: I went with a 570 GTX and a 650W PSU. If I decide in the future to add a second 570, is that PSU enough, or will I need to go to a 750W or higher?

Not O/Cing.

iNvid02

thanks joeboy, one more game added to my steam collection. i only just started on pc/steam. only purchase so far has been crysis. what else should i consider

sshot1.jpg

JoeBoy101

iNvidious01 said:
thanks joeboy, one more game added to my steam collection. i only just started on pc/steam. only purchase so far has been crysis. what else should i consider

sshot1.jpg

Wow, where to begin. Start with the demos. If you haven't gotten it, Half Life 2 w/ Episodes is required. As is Portal and, as mentioned below, Team Fortress 2. As other standbys, Fallout 3, Fallout 3: New Vegas, Mass Effect 1 & 2, Starcraft 2, Darksiders, Oblivion, Dawn of Discovery, and Minecraft all come to mind.

Solo said:
Question: I went with a 570 GTX and a 650W PSU. If I decide in the future to add a second 570, is that PSU enough, or will I need to go to a 750W or higher?

Not O/Cing.

I'm betting its a bit low. If you're thinking about going SLI, go 750W.

Emitan

iNvidious01 said:

sshot1.jpg
If you're looking for hardware pushing games try Shattered Horizon. It's a great FPS that looks amazing. You're in space and you have to worry about the lack of gravity. It's a really unique experience.

Shambles

TheExodu5 said:
Yup.

The 5770 and 460 are fine as long as you don't mind making a compromise or two.

The $300 video cards are there for you to brute force through system hogs and unoptimized games. SLI is for stupid people like me that want to run Crysis at 60fps. :lol

Ughhh now that my ignorance is gone I can no longer be happy with what I have (damn you fraps) :(

Although I sure enjoyed the escape sequence with Karl using nothing but my grappling hook to pull dudes out of trucks and attach them to other trucks chasing us.

Pimpbaa

TheExodu5 said:
Shame it performs so poorly on NVidia hardware. Thankfully, my SLI GTX 570 can brute force it just one.

But I get a constant 60fps at 1080p with the nvidia specific effects off and no SSAO (everything else maxed out) on my 460. I also could get 60fps most of the time with that fancy water effect on (it only slowed down on dirt roads with alot of dust clouds).

JoeBoy101

Wallach said:
Lazy bums! Nobody is going to put up for that FREE copy of JC2 and show us their sexy new rig?

Too busy assembling maybe? My last shipments are hopefully today *glares at UPS update screen* and I predict a decided vacancy of postings by myself tonight.

TheKurgan

TheExodu5 said:
=

Well I am going for 750w partly becuase it's on sale :lol But also to futureproof my system a little bit, never know what power requirements will be on GPU's 2 years from now.

What about a XFX Radeon HD 6870 900MHZ 1GB 4.2GHZ GDDR5 for $200? Is that enough for good frame rates and high detail at 1080p?

Emitan

Wallach said:
Lazy bums! Nobody is going to put up for that FREE copy of JC2 and show us their sexy new rig?
I can't build mine until (maybe) tonight. I could take a picture of my old rig if you wanted. Fancy Antec 1200 case with a shitty Core 2 Duo inside :lol

n0n44m

already have JC2/Mafia2 but I'm gonna shut my main rig down now, when it reawakens it'll be a 2600K beast :D and I'll take some pics as well

Shambles

Wallach said:

If those slackers don't get around to it soon I'll do it and gift it to my brother in law, gogogo!

TheKurgan

Blackface said:
-This monitor is $100 cheaper and arguably has a better picture http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=57310&vpn=VE247H&manufacture=ASUS&promoid=1277

-You don't need the pro version of the MB. I understand you are buy in a bundle, but the non-pro version is on sale as well as the 2500k. I think you save $20. Unless you really plan to push the thing like crazy overclocking(needing full water cooling) or want to Crossfire (which is pointless with the card you got since it dominates everything and you are running one monitor) you don't need the pro.

-For case fans wait until the $12 Yate Loons go on sale for $3. They go onsale every other week.

- Unless you plan to push your system you don't really need an after market HSF for overclocking a 2500k. You can get it stable @ 4ghz +, running cool (for a CPU) with the low profile one included from intel. If you are going to go for an after market HSF and want to really push the thing on air then spend big, something like one of the Noctua's. Otherwise save the $30 OC it to 4+ghz and be happy.

- Make sure you really need the 8gb of ram. The Asus boards allow you to pick up a kit of Kingston HyperX Blu 4gb DDR3 for $39.99. For example, I am going to be doing some video-editing, audio recording, and playing games like crazy and even I don't need 8gb. You need to do some really intense stuff to need that much ram. Triple boxing World of Warcraft with Skype, Ventrilo, and Firefox open doesn't even require 8 gigs of ram to put it in perspective.

It's a great build, but you can save a total of $210 and not lose any performance by doing some of the things I suggested. You can either pocket the money, upgrade to a 6970 which would overall give you higher performance then what you listed (and would save you money actually) or buy some fans.

Thanks for the suggestions - I will check them out!

Shambles

JoeBoy101 said:
Alright PC-GAF, people are getting all their new machines in and are in the heat of assembly. I just want to mention three things:

1) Just Cause 2: An open world destruction romp with a laughable plot, this game shines with over-the-top gameplay with some gorgeous graphics to really show off some of the new features on those shiny GPUs. Water especially.

2) Mafia II: Criminally underappreciated, this game is only flawed by not having enough side gameplay to take advantage of the meticulously detailed city and world created for you. An impressive plot that puts GTA IV to shame, a city with far more character that Liberty, and fantastic graphics and texture work, only hampered by limitations for scaling upwards. Oh, it also has collectible Playboy Playmate pinups in game. Titties!

3) I got a free code for each.

Post your beast's specs and a picture or two of it (no more than two!) and specify which one you want (can't have both). First two posts that meet this criteria gets them.

For shame people, if that copy of JC2 is left I'll take it to pass it on to my brother in law who I built his first real gaming rig that he got from his wife for christmas. I've introduced him to steam and have him hooked on L4D2 and Civ5 at the moment.

sy2t95.jpg

Q6600 @ 3.4Ghz
Palit Sonic 4870 512MB
Asus P5QL PRO (Poor choice I know :S)
4GB memory, 550W Corsair, Antec 300, Tuniq Tower etc etc...
HTO Striker 7.1 that ended up being a waste of money since I get the same analog interference over the card as I had from the motherboard connections.

Emitan

Smokey said:
You son of a bitch.

Have you used the model that he is talking about? If not then don't spread FUD. I've had that particular model for 2 years and can count on one hand the number of times it has dropped a connection. All of my gaming systems hooked up wireless and I didn't have to configure any ports to get it to work correctly.

Went through 2 Linksys routers. Trash. Had a Netgear router that would continually fuck up. Trash. I don't know about other D-link models but the one he has is the exact one I use, and it is solid.
I haven't used that, but I've used maybe 5 different D-Link products from USB WiFi adaptors, to wireless routers, to switches and every single one broke within a short period of time. Maybe they've improved but to me they're the Madcatz of networking equipment.

I'm running memtest86+ right now. I don't need to like, test one stick at a time or anything like that right? I can do everything at once? (If it finds errors then I would to find the defective stick, but yeah)

Ecto311

Quick question

I installed windows 7 on an F3 samsung by unplugging my old drive and making the computer think it was the only drive in there. Now when I plug the old one in it boots from it and not my new one, how do I get it to boot from the new one?

It is plugged into sata1 and the old one on a different plug. Is there settings in bios for this shit?

JoeBoy101

Shambles said:
For shame people, if that copy of JC2 is left I'll take it to pass it on to my brother in law who I built his first real gaming rig that he got from his wife for christmas. I've introduced him to steam and have him hooked on L4D2 and Civ5 at the moment.

sy2t95.jpg

Q6600 @ 3.4Ghz
Palit Sonic 4870 512MB
Asus P5QL PRO (Poor choice I know :S)
4GB memory, 550W Corsair, Antec 300, Tuniq Tower etc etc...
HTO Striker 7.1 that ended up being a waste of money since I get the same analog interference over the card as I had from the motherboard connections.

PM Incoming.

Emitan

Ecto311 said:
Quick question

I installed windows 7 on an F3 samsung by unplugging my old drive and making the computer think it was the only drive in there. Now when I plug the old one in it boots from it and not my new one, how do I get it to boot from the new one?

It is plugged into sata1 and the old one on a different plug. Is there settings in bios for this shit?
See if you can change the boot order in your BIOS.

Well son of a bitch.

UPS just dropped off 3 packages, not 4. So I have:

Case
Monitor
GPU + HDD

I already have my CPU and motherboard (not attached yet). Should I start putting this thing together or should I wait for the rest of my stuff tomorrow?

vocab

MisterAnderson said:
I'm running memtest86+ right now. I don't need to like, test one stick at a time or anything like that right? I can do everything at once? (If it finds errors then I would to find the defective stick, but yeah)
Yup. Obviously if you get an error, you have to do each stick at a time.

JoeBoy101

Grimm Fandango said:
Well son of a bitch.

UPS just dropped off 3 packages, not 4. So I have:

Case
Monitor
GPU + HDD

I already have my CPU and motherboard (not attached yet). Should I start putting this thing together or should I wait for the rest of my stuff tomorrow?

I believe in getting CPU, cooler, memory on the mobo before install. Based on that, I say wait and just have a painful waiting session of reading the case and mobo manuals.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
OP UPDATED

So at least Tiger Direct is pretty good about customer service.
I spotted a 2500K combo + the P8P67 PRO while browsing to check stock and I got $20 and Civ 5 even though I didn't order that. The 2500K is shipped out today (It was backordered) from somewhere other than the main IL warehouse so hopefully everything gets here Friday (or even today).
MisterAnderson said:
Test both, then test 1, then the other. If both sticks clear 10 minutes, then I'd just test each one a max of 8 minutes.
I ran memtest a few days ago on an other computer, 23,000 errors on 1 stick, 10 on the other, then 250,000 on a stick we were going to place in as a replacement :lol (This was all in 10 minutes).
Sometimes something will pop up past 15 minutes, but for time management you can run it overnight. Otherwise since I was busy, I leave it for 8 minutes.
Ecto311 said:
Quick question

Yes, go into the boot section (There might be two) and put your new drive in front of your old one in boot order)

Veal

I would put up a pic but I don't have a camera :(
Here are my specs anyway:

ASUS M4A88TD-M Socket AM3
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 (2x2GB)
XFX Radeon 6870
AMD Phenom II X4 970
Cooler Master HAFX
Rosewill 750 Green Series PSU

This was my first build. When I bought most of my components, I had no idea that Intel was about unleash new carnage on the CPU world so soon. I also had the notion that going AMD would at least let me upgrade a bit easier and cheaper in the future. Now it's looking like Bulldozer won't be compatible with my current motherboard, making my decision moot:lol ! One less reason to stick with AMD I guess. All that said though, I'm really enjoying my machine and PC gaming in general!

Veal

Hazaro said:
OP UPDATED

Test both, then test 1, then the other. If both sticks clear 10 minutes, then I'd just test each one a max of 8 minutes.
I ran memtest a few days ago on an other computer, 23,000 errors on 1 stick, 10 on the other, then 250,000 on a stick we were going to place in as a replacement :lol (This was all in 10 minutes).
Sometimes something will pop up past 15 minutes, but for time management you can run it overnight. Otherwise since I was busy, I leave it for 8 minutes.
I had a RAM problem too. It was really fucking up everything! Is there any way to salvage RAM that has errors like that, or is there no hope?

Hazaro said:

Yes, go into the boot section (There might be two) and put your new drive in front of your old one in boot order)

I actually have 3 sticks (triple channel) so it would take a while for me to do that. Why test all of them, then if they clear, test them individually (unless the first test shows errors)? If I'm going to test them individually anyway shouldn't I just skip testing them all at once?

Also just to clarify, if I'm testing one stick at a time I always need to put it in the first slot of the first channel, right?

Another kind of random question, my friend ended up returning the 5770 and the dual core AMD and got the GTX460 and this from the OP instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=amd_athlon_ii_x4-_-19-103-871-_-Product

He was wondering, for the money does it pay to get the "next one up" from that AMD processor? Or even the one after that? Assuming that they can use the same motherboard that we already set up, which is the one in the OP as well.

Emitan

So what's with all this memtest stuff? I was planning on just putting all the new parts in my case and turning it on. Should I be doing more?

xero273

InertiaXr said:
I've got my CPU and cooler on mobo and into my case, but I'm stuck on connecting my hard drive. My HD is this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185 and it didn't come with any cables, nor do any of the cables that came in my case seem to fit. I need at least a power cable from the HD to the PSU and one of those long flat white cables from HD to mobo right?

Bare drives never come with anything. When you bought your mobo, it should have come with SATA cables like the one below.

http://www.sierra-cables.com/Cables/Images/SATA-Signal-Cable-1.jpg

Power supply should have a cable that looks like this

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0f/SATA_power_cable.jpg

"I've got my CPU and cooler on mobo and into my case, but I'm stuck on connecting my hard drive. My HD is this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152185 and it didn't come with any cables, nor do any of the cables that came in my case seem to fit. I need at least a power cable from the HD to the PSU and one of those long flat white cables from HD to mobo right?"

I think you're thinking of IDE cables, that's a SATA hard drive. Your mobo should've come with at least a few SATA cables. They're small/thin cables about a half inch big. Your PSU should have the power cables. The connector on those are also flat/thin but a little wider.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...20079&cm_re=sata_cable-_-12-120-079-_-Product

InertiaXr

xero273 said:
Bare drives never come with anything. When you bought your mobo, it should have come with SATA cables like the one below.

http://www.sierra-cables.com/Cables/Images/SATA-Signal-Cable-1.jpg

Power supply should have a cable that looks like this

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0f/SATA_power_cable.jpg

Excellent, both connected up perfectly. My PSU came with 2 cables with 4 of those connectors each, but I don't think I will ever be up to 8 HDs...:lol

I can already see trying to hide all these cables and keep them organized being the worst part of this whole building thing. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom