• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Max said:
What's the typical recommended 1TB+ HDD? I'm looking for one on NCIX

320 GB doesn't cut it after that Steam sale.

Shadowhaxor said:
Not sure if anyone saw it, but Hardocp has $15.00 off + free shipping from Newegg on a Samsung Spinpoint 1B F3... That's $54.99!

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1576815

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$69.99 - $15.00 promo code "HARDOCP112C" = $54.99 with free shipping
Promo Expires on 1/19/11

Ordered 2 of them.

Sale is still on, ends on the 19th!!!! GO GO!!!!

ltse1

Building a Sandy Bridge rig, woo! I do 3D modeling and video editing hence the 8 GB of RAM. I'm on a loose budget (aiming for $700). What do you all think? Is this a good price, or any advice on the selected parts (good/bad experiences)?

One concern is the 1.5V max voltage of Sandy Bridge, since the RAM is rated at 1.65V. Research and reading this thread tells me that this might not be a problem, but I'm still wary.

4rqbo5.png

mclaren777

^^^

Why a mid-tower case with a micro ATX motherboard?

Also, I just sent back my un-opened 1.65v RAM yesterday and ordered some 1.5v RAM instead. I figure that the extra peace of mind is worth the 15% restocking fee.

Ugh seem to be having problems with the ASUS AI Suite. It's not loading properly and seems like I cannot even uninstall it.

Well something is causing my system to freeze up (about 5 times so far) and I think it's this thing.

coopolon

I'm trying to stress test my 6850 overclock. I don't really like Furmark because I'm not really sure what errors are supposed to look like, so I'm using OCCT instead. But OCCT isn't really stressing my GPU, I have the shader complexity turned up to 8, and after 5 minutes the GPU activity is still only ~35%. The temp isn't even going past 60, am I using it right?

ltse1

mclaren777 said:
^^^

Why a mid-tower case with a micro ATX motherboard?

Also, I just sent back my un-opened 1.65v RAM yesterday and ordered some 1.5v RAM instead. I figure that the extra peace of mind is worth the 15% restocking fee.

Thanks for the catch, I had picked the wrong CPU+mobo combo...it is now a regular ATX mobo :)

Good call on the RAM, I already did the same. You're right, it's much better to not have to worry about that.

drkOne

Would a nVidia 570 be a good upgrade from a ATI 5850?
Mainly considering because of how much better nVidia drivers apparently are (don't know this from personal experience, basing it of what I usually read).

mclaren777

ltse1 said:
Thanks for the catch, I had picked the wrong CPU+mobo combo...it is now a regular ATX mobo :)

Good call on the RAM, I already did the same. You're right, it's much better to not have to worry about that.
No problem. And you might want to check your inbox. ;)

hyelife

hyelife said:
So I need so recommendations here. After looking for a laptop to game with and use for general purpose, it would seem like I'm out of luck. So I have decided to get a Desktop for gaming.

Let me know if I should change anything and also decide the GPU.

Processor: Intel 2600k 329.99
Heatsink: COOLER MASTER V8 59.99
MB: ASUS P8P67 PRO 184.99
GPU: Cant decide weather to go with 6970 or 6950
Mem: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB 129.99
HDD: WD VelociRaptor 169.99
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W 89.99
Case: HAF 922 99.99
Monitor: LG E2360V 23" Full HD LED 249.99
Any suggestions would be nice

xero273

Friend has a PC problem. Last night his PC kept on rebooting when trying to play borderlands. I asked him his CPU temps today and he told me at idle CPU is 55. The cpu is a core i7 not sure what model, but I think this is too high for idle temps. Am I correct?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Drop the 2600k and the Raptor, and grab an SSD, normal HDD and a 2500k instead.

Blackface

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
It really pisses me off how unoptimized WoW is. In Elowyn Forest, maxed out, I'm going down to 30fps on a friggin' 2500K @ 4.6GHz and 2x GTX 570. :lol

My CPU is being stressed to like 20%, and my GPUs to 50%. Makes no sense.

WoW is so unoptimized it's hilarious. Somehow, I have upgraded my PC three times since WoW launched yet each time my FPS goes up 30, then after year, somehow drops back down again. The cycle then continues. X2 4200 /= I5 2500k apparently.

Shambles

scitek said:
I've got a problem with my graphics card's fan. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev2ElkAnUo0

What model is your GPU? I'm having problems with my GPU fan as well with a whine coming from it and will likely replace it. On my model I can remove the plastic shroud and fan just be removing 4 screws. All I need to do is grab a fan that has a 4-pin connection and will fit in the case and attach it to the heat sink using wire or whatnot. I assume it will be fairly easy but haven't actually gotten around to doing it. It looks like the 4-pin fan connection on the GPU board should be the same as any normal 4-pin fan connection.

vocab

scitek said:
I've got a problem with my graphics card's fan. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev2ElkAnUo0

Same thing happened to my 5850. I had to rma it.

drkOne said:
Would a nVidia 570 be a good upgrade from a ATI 5850?
Mainly considering because of how much better nVidia drivers apparently are (don't know this from personal experience, basing it of what I usually read).

Id try to hold off for as long as possible. I'm in the same boat, and Ati drivers are a mix bag. The new drivers come out on the 25th. Hope they aren't as shitty 10.12 preview drivers were. Nvidia has their fair share of problems as well so don't feel too bad. I'm probably gonna wait till the summer to see the prices on things.

Ecto311

Anyone have a recommendation on a CPU cooler that screws in for an i3? I really don't want to deal with the plastic snap bullshit that comes with it stock but I don't think I need to stick a hyper212 on it when it's going to run stock.

thanks

scitek

Shambles said:
What model is your GPU? I'm having problems with my GPU fan as well with a whine coming from it and will likely replace it. On my model I can remove the plastic shroud and fan just be removing 4 screws. All I need to do is grab a fan that has a 4-pin connection and will fit in the case and attach it to the heat sink using wire or whatnot. I assume it will be fairly easy but haven't actually gotten around to doing it. It looks like the 4-pin fan connection on the GPU board should be the same as any normal 4-pin fan connection.

It's an HIS Radeon 5770. I should have mentioned I've already tried blowing the dust out of it and all that. It seems to have quieted a little bit since I had the case open.

vocab said:
Same thing happened to my 5850. I had to rma it.

Damn, I was hoping to sell it when I upgraded to a GTX 570 in a couple weeks.

jiien

I have to RMA a video card to Newegg, but I've never done so before. It came with two free games (codes for those games). Do I have to return the codes too? I already redeemed them...

WEGGLES

Ok. One last post about my Overclock before putting a nice little bow on it and calling it good to go.

Ran 50 instances of Standard Intel Burn test. Passed. Ran Prime95 for 8 hours. Passed.

U60ow.png

XTiQf.png

Idle temperatures sit around 32C

While running Prime95 they were high High 50s up to 62C

The temps from Intel Burn Test are in the screenshot.

Does everything look a-ok?

pestul

Any chance nice IPS monitors will come down in price in 2011? I just bought a crappy 23" Acer LED at Walmart which I had to return due to terrible blue/purple shift (unchangeable). I'm thinking of picking up a Dell Professional series 24" right now on sale as I can't quite afford an IPS just yet.. seen any good deals on monitors lately? (must be shippable to Canada - preferably a Can website too).

vocab

jiien said:
I have to RMA a video card to Newegg, but I've never done so before. It came with two free games (codes for those games). Do I have to return the codes too? I already redeemed them...

lol no.

pestul

Should have mentioned that I have a Samsung 22" LCD 2253LW, but I've never really been satisfied with the black levels on it. I did learn in a hurry that Samsung has excellent color accuracy compared to Acer though.. side by side, the Acer looked like smurf village, but with much nicer brightness.

qwerty2k

Quick question if you will indulge me:

I was waiting for the next gen ssd to come out for my MBP but im getting tired of waiting and have looked at the momentus XT hybrid drive, anyone got any experience of these? i notice they have been out a while now, anyone know if there is scheduled to be a new version soon? i mean the 500gig drive is only £90 so even if i use it for a year then get an ssd after that that seems acceptable to me, just wondered if they are worth it? (surely have to be quicker than standard 5400rpm drive in MBP?)

vocab

KeioSquad2 said:
hey guy's, would this be a good pc for the price? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229238

Like I said before, I don't want to build one because I'm scared I'll mess it up, considering I don't know much about it anyways..... This has the specs I want, but I know nothing about cyberpower. Are they good? is the price good?

It has good specs, but for that price you should have a SSD, and two 570's. I know it comes with Liquid cooling, but it seems over kill.

WEGGLES

KeioSquad2 said:
hey guy's, would this be a good pc for the price? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229238

Like I said before, I don't want to build one because I'm scared I'll mess it up, considering I don't know much about it anyways..... This has the specs I want, but I know nothing about cyberpower. Are they good? is the price good?
That seems pricey. You should consider building. I know you're worried about messing it up, but it's not nearly as hard as it seems like it might be. You'll save quite a bit.

mclaren777

I know that some of you got free copies of Civ5 for buying a CPU bundle from Newegg.

Would anyone be willing to trade that code for both Just Cause 2 and Mafia II?

Kalnos

Banned
hyelife said:
Ok now I have another thing I'm worried about. I've been looking at IPS monitors due to allot of photshoping I do and cant decide if I should get this Dell UltraSharp U2311H 23-inch or is there something better?

That series of monitors is really solid, I do recommend it. Some people really don't like matte screens, and some people are bothered by the anti-glare coating, but I don't really have a problem with either. Keep in mind that the resolution is also 1920x1080 and 16:9. A lot of people really prefer working with 1920x1200 and 16:10 (which is the dell u2410). I don't think you can really go wrong with these monitors though, as they're very affordable.

Apple has a good 24" if you are only using the monitor for Photoshop and editing (no-gaming) but I think you'd probably have to find it on eBay as I don't believe they sell it anymore. The Apple monitor is glossy, which some people prefer, as I said earlier. You could also probably find a HP IPS, but I've never used one so I can't really say much about them.

I'd just go with the Dell, U2311 for 16:9 and U2410 for 16:10.

IrishNinja

·feist· said:
This is easily the biggest issue I have with the newer mITX layout that began springing up with H55 boards, and has continued with many LGA 1155 products. It's entirely up to the manufacturer, as there are still 1156 and 1155 boards that have the "traditional" socket setup.

Anyway, the GeminII S does fit on your particular board along with an expansion card.

Remember, your cooler, like many other low-profile sinks, has an off-center mounting plate so you need to rotate it to find the ideal mount for your board. For center-socket mITXs that's normally with the HSF's heatpipes facing the expansion slot, like above. That makes for some unnecessarily precarious situations between the HSF and GPU.

ah! see, we were debating rotating it, but given the hour of night/the shape of the cooler it looked as though it wouldnt've made a difference...awesome, gonna try again tonight then! was really trying to make this one work, as i need to get the fuck back to planescape it does indeed fit perfectly with the fan at the top. speaking of, im using said fan as an exhaust, yeah? i believe the reviews said it was most effective at spiraling hot air out, so we're setting it up that way & obviously not using the mesh/screen thing.

You may want to place some non-conductive material between the cooler and GPU.

could you elaborate here? i can see where making this work will leave little to no room between the two, not sure what options i have for specific materials.
also: friend has some zip-ties, working on the cable management by the PSU grill as well, thanks again for the heads-up there.

Kalnos

Banned
toasty_T said:
About Dell's IPS panels, are there any ghosting issues while gaming?

They have a good response time for what they are, 8ms for the 23" and 6ms for the 24" and 27". I've heard/experienced no ghosting issues while gaming, but it might be worth it to check out some mega-threads on them if you want impressions:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1518544

You'll probably need to skip to the later pages, as that thread was started before they were even released.

EDIT: Actually just skip the last page, people are answering a question about ghosting there.

Does anyone here have the Nvidia 3D Vision Kit? Im wondering if its good and if its well worth getting? I have heard some people say that the 3D sucks and that you have to sacrifice framerate and if you try to use it in multiplayer it lags the game. Is any of that true?

Also out of the following graphics cards which is the best: GTX 570, GTX 580, Radeon 6850, or Radeon 6870.

I want a graphics card that will play Crysis 1-2, Alice 2, Diablo 3, and Witcher 2 at max settings.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Anticitizen One said:
Does anyone here have the Nvidia 3D Vision Kit? Im wondering if its good and if its well worth getting? I have heard some people say that the 3D sucks and that you have to sacrifice framerate and if you try to use it in multiplayer it lags the game. Is any of that true?

Also out of the following graphics cards which is the best: GTX 570, GTX 580, Radeon 6850, or Radeon 6870.

I want a graphics card that will play Crysis 1-2, Alice 2, Diablo 3, and Witcher 2 at max settings.
If you are looking at 3D I'd try to buy a 1080 panel instead.
SLI 570's aren't a bad choice for 3D.

Also I will have my build pics up soon :)

conman

Alright. I've got a modest HTPC setup that I built a couple years ago. I've got some money to devote to some basic upgrades for gaming. I'd like to reuse as many parts as possible (Power supply, HDD, Disc Drive, Case, Fans, etc.). My Current Specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250
RAM: 2x1G DDR2
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H
GPU: Radeon HD 4550
Power supply: 550W (not sure of brand)
Display native output resolution: 768p (aka "720p")

Not interested in messing with overclocking (too time consuming for what I want it for). My budget's in the neighborhood of $300-400. I figure I've got two basic routes: I could either just get more memory and a slightly better graphics card. Or I could get a whole new motherboard, processor, and memory (DDR3) along with a new graphics card. Mostly, I'd just like to play some PC-centric titles that I've missed over the past few years (Crysis, Dragon Age, Starcraft 2, The Witcher, etc). Something somewhat future-proof would be nice, but not necessary.

Also, just as important, I do all of my gaming in my living room sitting in a chair or on my couch. So using a standard wireless mouse and keyboard won't cut it for gaming. I know there are various "solutions" out there for lap gaming, but curious what some of you folks might use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom